Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Dragon Dance listed as a level up move AND an egg move for Dragonite everywhere I look?
Which is it?
It's listed as both because it is both. You can breed a Dragon Dance Haxorus with a female Dragonite and have the Dratini offspring have Dragon Dance (useful for LC), but you can also learn it at some high level as Dragonite.

I've always used surf/scald over Hydro Pump due to Accracy. Hydro pumps BP drop hasnt done it any favors.
And yeah special sweeper
If you're against using Hydro Pump for accuracy reasons, then use Surf. Scald is better for really bulky Water-type users who can wear opponents down with STAB hits and try to cripple enemies with the burn chance; Greninja is made of paper and needs to kill things really really fast or it gets broken, so the extra 10 BP does matter to him. Even rolling a lucky burn isn't necessarily going to help it, because its defenses are bad enough that lots of physical attackers can 1 or 2HKO through a burn.

Since we're talking about special sweeper Protean Greninja anyway, what would the rest of its moveset typically look like?

Thanks for the responses! how do you guys decide which stats to train? use any pokemon you want as an example please! i suck at EV training lol i just train the offensive stat fully and spread the rest of the EV's in defenses and speed

Which nature is more viable for Dragonite's WeakNite set? Adamant for attack or Jolly for speed? I'm assuming Jolly for speed if you're not using ExtremeSpeed in your move set?

Thanks for the responses! how do you guys decide which stats to train? use any pokemon you want as an example please! i suck at EV training lol i just train the offensive stat fully and spread the rest of the EV's in defenses and speed
Example: SD sweeper Talonflame.

You want him to outspeed Mega Pinsir, so you need 208 Speed EVs. 252 Attack with Adamant nature is necessary. Dump the other 48 in HP.
Or, you can only let him outspeed Excadrill, which only needs 60 Speed EVs, so the other 196 go in HP.

Example: Greninja

252 Speed with Hasty is necessary, since you want to use U-Turn. You want him to wreck Celebi and Latias with U-Turn. 168 Special Attack EVs are needed to OHKO offensive Latios with Ice Beam. 88 Attack EVs are enough to OHKO Celebi with U-Turn.

Example: Chansey/Blissey

Since their HP is so large, the optimal defensive gain comes from using a 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD Bold EV spread. Of course, if you want to use Counter, go for 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Bold, but that spread has a little less special bulk.

Example: CB Scizor

You want it to be able to switch into SR a lot, so it needs an HP not divisible by 8. 248 HP EVs gives it this. 252 Attack Adamant is necessary. The other 8 can go whereever, and most people like to do either Special Defense or Speed.

Example: CB Azumarill

You want it to be able to outspeed 0 Speed Jellicent, which means 84 Speed EVs. 4 Special Defense EVs gives Genesect an Attack boost instead of a Special Attack boost. The other 168 EVs go into HP.

It takes a bit of practice, but after a while you really get the hang of it. Just EVing for speed creep (IE: outspeeding 0 Speed Mamoswine, outspeeding max speed Noivern with a Scarf, etc.) is one of the simplest ways to do this. After that, go for specific OHKOes and 2HKOes, like the Greninja example.

Which nature is more viable for Dragonite's WeakNite set? Adamant for attack or Jolly for speed? I'm assuming Jolly for speed if you're not using ExtremeSpeed in your move set?
considering it's quite slow for a dragon (Garchomp, Salamence, Char-X and Zygarde outspeeds easily) I'd run adamant for damage. If you have problems with other mons on DNite's base speed level you could run jolly to go first with E speed.

Most of the most popular pokemon has stats that are tailored so it's easy to figure out what to EV stuff in. Scisor has hella physical attack and proprity + technician and STAB priority, so you won't see any special Scisor sets running around. It's scarf/band or life orb with max attack and HP with a little speed to outspeed other Scisor sets most of the time. Just look up base stats and common sets and expand from that. It's also fun to try out whacky stuff just to throw people off.

What are some good partners for Coil Zygarde?
Good partners for coil Zygarde are ones who can lay down hazards and beat fairy types and skarmory.

To that end, Scizor makes a good partner as it threatens Togekiss, Slyveon, and Florges with STAB bullet punch.
Magnezone will also make a good partner, for its ability to trap Skarmory who would otherwise just phaze Zygarde away with whirlwind.
As for hazard setters, it's really your choice. A Spinblocker might also be useful to make sure your hazards stay on the field too.

In terms of OU Mons, what exactly does Jolly Scrafty outspeed that its' Adamant variant doesn't, either after one Dragon Dance, or unboosted? Thanks in advance for the help!

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is it really that necessary to have a mega on your team to be competitive??
Not at all. My current team has neither a Mega or entry hazards, and I do just fine.

You don't need "top OU" mons to win. They just make it easier to do so.

In terms of OU Mons, what exactly does Jolly Scrafty outspeed that its' Adamant variant doesn't, either after one Dragon Dance, or unboosted? Thanks in advance for the help!
Adamant Scrafty hits 322 at +1. Jolly hits 354. +Speed Mega Lucario hits 355, unfortunately.

Here's a list of things that Jolly outspeeds, but Adamant doesn't.

Adamant Scolipede
Timid Thundurus-Incarnate
Gengar
Latios
Heliolisk
Infernape
Galvantula
Terrakion
Keldeo
Mega Pinsir
Mienshao
Delphox
Garchomp
Thundurus-Therian
Landorus-Incarnate
Charizard
Flygon
Volcarona
Genesect
Hydreigon

I'd definitely recommend Jolly. Do you need a set?

Scrafty @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Lum Berry
Jolly
Shed Skin / Moxie
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Drain Punch / Hi Jump Kick
Crunch
Ice Punch
Dragon Dance

See the slashes? There are a few different builds you can run.

- Life Orb or Lum Berry, Moxie, HJK.

This is the all-out offensive variant. It's extremely powerful, and you can opt for a Lum Berry to save Scrafty from status or a Life Orb for more power. This set uses Moxie, so the LO might be overkill.

- Leftovers, Shed Skin, and Drain Punch.

This is the set I use. It's much safer, and has excellent recovery without sacrificing too much power. Status is everywhere in the current metagame, so Shed Skin is extremely important. Scrafty is vulnerable to priority, so keeping it healthy with Drain Punch and Leftovers can ensure your sweep at times when brute-forcing couldn't. With Shed Skin, you can do cool stuff like set up multiple DDs on Trevenant/Gourgeist, Rotom, ect.

Those two are the extremes. You could also run Shed Skin with HJK and Life Orb, for example. Or Moxie, Lum Berry, and Drain Punch.

Last edited:
You need Jolly to outspeed +Spe base 100 and above(upto Max Sped Tornadus by 1 point).
With Adamant you speed tie with max spe jolly Haxorus at +1.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How do substitutes work after a baton pass?
If a 404 celebi passes a sub onto something with less hp, e.g. noivern, will the sub break after 1 seismic toss?
If a regular attack is used on it, will the damage out put will come off noiverns defenses?

How do substitutes work after a baton pass?
If a 404 celebi passes a sub onto something with less hp, e.g. noivern, will the sub break after 1 seismic toss?
If a regular attack is used on it, will the damage out put will come off noiverns defenses?
Substitute will have 101 HP even after Baton Pass.
Damage output will be calculated using Noivern's Defenses(even though HP of baton passer is used).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can someone tell me how much I should invest in speed with both heracross and MHearcross to outspeed common Rotom-W with Wow ?
Standard defensive rotom doesnt run any speed ev's and is only 1 base speed faster than heracross. Normal hera only needs 12 speed to outspeed min rotom-w, whilst mega heracross needs 92 (adamant nature) or 16 with jolly. The standard mega heracross set runs max speed, but bulky mega hera is still good.

edit: ninja'd

And how many EVs in sp attack for genesect@expert belt do I need in order to kill every ferro, skarm and trevenant with flamethrower, after stealth rock ? And, if the OHKO isn't possible, then to 2HKO ? For exemple, if the OHKO isn't possible on Skarm, with any repartition, and that x evs allows me to 2HKO it, OHKOing all the other, what would be the x value? (add the download augmentation in the calc). I'm sorry but i'm a dumb in calc, that is a little too difficult for me ><

And how many EVs in sp attack for genesect@expert belt do I need in order to kill every ferro, skarm and trevenant with flamethrower, after stealth rock ? And, if the OHKO isn't possible, then to 2HKO ? For exemple, if the OHKO isn't possible on Skarm, with any repartition, and that x evs allows me to 2HKO it, OHKOing all the other, what would be the x value? (add the download augmentation in the calc). I'm sorry but i'm a dumb in calc, that is a little too difficult for me ><
Not much for the two first. Trevenant gets 2hitKO with expert belt.

To be more accurate:

Genesect cannot OHKO every Ferrothorn and every Trevenant with Flamethrower, no matter which nature it has.
252 SpA Expert Belt Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 293-346 (83.23 - 98.29%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Expert Belt Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Trevenant: 182-216 (48.66 - 57.75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Expert Belt Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 322-379 (91.47 - 107.67%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Expert Belt Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Trevenant: 202-238 (54.01 - 63.63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

2HKOing is relatively easy.
0 SpA Expert Belt Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 240-283 (68.18 - 80.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
120 SpA Expert Belt Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 166-197 (44.38 - 52.67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Genesect needs at least 306 SAtk in order to 2HKO every Trevenant, technically speaking. Unfortunately for you, it activates Sitrus Berries.

In order to beat it you need to do at least 467 damage.
Stealth Rocks deal 23, and Modest 252 Genesect deals a mimimun of 202 per Flamethrower, making the total damage 427, making it impossible to 2HKO Trevenant at all; except for one, almost impossible case.

It is possible to 2HKO Trevenant when you have no SR on the field. Neutral 252 Genesect has to do a minimum damage, dealing either 182 or 185 damage (187 activates the berry), then doing a high damage roll, killing it. As said, only almost impossible.
We have optimized the case: When Neutral Genesect has 168 SAtk, 187 is roughly in the middle, in that case your chance to 2HKO Trevenant is roughly 25% and that is the best chance you have.

Quick question, not sure if there's an answer for it yet.

Are past gen tutor moves able to be passed down through breeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)