Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey friends, so I wanted your opinion on this set that I brewed up for Swampert. Swampy has been one of my favorite Pokemon since 3rd Gen, and it only helps that testing with him has revealed that he's a great check to Talonflame, Aegislash, Garchomp, and Tyranitar, just to name a few. So I thought about it: Swampert has good Attack and bulk, but with the meta becoming increasingly aggressive, how can I improve his bulk while still maintaining the power level I've come to expect from him? The answer: Assault Vest.

Swampert
@ Assault Vest
-Adamant Nature
-EVs: 252 Attack / 248 HP / 8 Sp. Def
-Moves:
  • Waterfall
  • Earthquake
  • Hammer Arm
  • Avalanche
So, many of the old things about Swampert, both good and bad, are present with this set. He retains his good bulk and offensive power, along with great coverage in regards to his moves. However, he still lacks reliable recovery, can only take so many hits, and is slow. So I tried to enable Swampert to play an even greater offensive tank role by maxing Attack and utilizing the rest of the EVs to maintain his bulk and ability to tank Special Attacks.

What do you guys think? If you have any suggestions or thoughts about how I can improve this idea, let me know, please!

How do you determine the EV spread of your pokemon?

For example I'm trying to run a Mix Flareon for my Sunny Day, Double battles team.

With Lava Plume, Flare Blitz, Wish, HP Grass.
Its Nature is Mild

I don't know how to decide which stat to invest in, and how many EVs I should place in each stat.

If you were to create your own build, how would you determine what stat needs investing and how many points I should place in that specific stat.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
best chestnaught set?
Leech Seed/Spiky Shield/Wood Hammer/Hammer Arm? Something like that. You really want max HP/Def and Leech Seed and Spiky Shield though.

How do you determine the EV spread of your pokemon?

For example I'm trying to run a Mix Flareon for my Sunny Day, Double battles team.

With Lava Plume, Flare Blitz, Wish, HP Grass.
Its Nature is Mild

I don't know how to decide which stat to invest in, and how many EVs I should place in each stat.

If you were to create your own build, how would you determine what stat needs investing and how many points I should place in that specific stat.
I see the things a Pokemon can hit, and I invest enough in the respective stat to do most damage to it. For example, Mew needs 36 Special Attack to OHKO Landorus-T and Gliscor 100% of the time with Ice Beam, Deoxys-S needs Life Orb and 16 Atk to OHKO Tyranitar 100% of the time with Superpower, etc. Look for the stats that will grant you guaranteed OHKOs/2HKOs against certain threats.

Then comes speed, look at the Pokemon's speed tier, and try to determine which relevant walls outspeed it and which don't. For example, Tyranitar needs 76 Speed to outspeed Skarmory, Azumaril needs 252 speed to outspeed Mandibuzz, and 252 speed with a jolly nature to outspeed Rotom-W, or 96 speed to outspeed Blissey and tyranitar/Jellicent (assuming all of them run no speed). Get where I'm going?

See how much Special Attack is needed to OHKO (if its possible) Quagsire and Gastrodon with HP Grass, and then invest the rest in Attack. See if there are any relevant Pokemon you need to outspeed. And, in Flareon's case, make sure the overall HP is an odd number so it doesn't get 25% from Stealth Rock every time.

So many people are now breeding shiny 6IV pokemon in 6th gen. Is there a link to a guide here which goes through the process on how to maximise the chances of breeding/ catching 6IV (I only ever used the RNG method in 4th gen). Also, is it still possible to easily breed shinies? I've heard you need to know your shiny id which apparently is no longer possible?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So many people are now breeding shiny 6IV pokemon in 6th gen. Is there a link to a guide here which goes through the process on how to maximise the chances of breeding/ catching 6IV (I only ever used the RNG method in 4th gen). Also, is it still possible to easily breed shinies? I've heard you need to know your shiny id which apparently is no longer possible?
Breeding shinies is usually done through the good old masuda method. And as for breeding 5-6IVs, I recommend getting your hands on a 6IV Ditto (see if anyone nice can clone you one), if not, follow these steps:

Chimeric said:
Well, here's what I've been doing:

- Get a female with the right Nature and a few perfect IVs. Usually I'll take her from a Friend Safari to ensure at least two perfect IVs and use a properly-Natured Ditto (preferably Friend Safari Ditto) or compatible male with an Everstone, which passes down Nature, to hatch a female with the correct Nature. Once I have a female with the right Nature and a couple perfect IVs, I give her the Everstone and put her in the Daycare.

- Get a male with a couple perfect IVs. Again, probably from Friend Safari, or maybe just a reject from a different breeding project who happens to be a species that can mate with the female (when I started breeding Minccinos I was at an advantage because I already had 5IV Mawiles and so I was starting off with a high-quality male). Make sure the perfect ones are in different stats, for instance a female with perfect HP/SpD and a male with perfect Att/Spe. Give the male the Destiny Knot and stick him in the Daycare.

- Okay, so now you've got two pokemon in the Daycare with two perfect IVs each. Start hatching eggs. The Everstone will make sure that the offspring have the correct Nature and the Destiny Knot will pass down 5 IVs at random from the twelve provided by the parents (for example, it might choose the mother's HP, SpA, and SpD and the father's Att and Def). Hatch until you get a pokemon with 3 perfect IVs (or even 4... lucky you!). Replace the appropriate Daycare parent with the superior offspring and keep hatching (make sure you give the offspring the item the parent was holding!). Now you might have a female with perfect HP/SpD/Spe and a male with perfect Att/Spe. This will slowly ratchet up the quality of the parents until you have two parents with 4 perfect IVs each, giving you a bunch of awesome babies.

- Ah, but we only started with 4 perfect IVs in our pool: HP/Att/SpD/Spe. How do we work in Def or SpA? What I do is wait until I have, say, a female who has all 4 of the perfects we started with (so a 31/31/xx/xx/31/31 female) and then replace our male with one that has perfect Def or SpA (again, probably from the Friend Safari). This will temporarily lower the quality of babies since this male probably has fewer perfect IVs than the male he's replacing, but he's introducing 31s in stats that didn't previously have 31s, so you can ratchet up the quality as before. Rinse and repeat.

OTHER TIPS:

- Save a lot of the 4IV and 5IV offspring, even if they're in stats that aren't ideal (like if I had a Mawile where the imperfect stat was Def when I would prefer it to be SpA). 5IV and 4IV pokemon make great trade fodder so that when you start up other breeding projects you can start with a lot of good IVs because you traded one of your extras to somebody.

- Don't just release all of your 1IV/2IV/3IV rejects. Instead, Wonder Trade all of them. You'll rack up a TON of miles which you can exchange for items (Heart Scales, PP Ups, Moomoo Milk... I hear you can even buy a Master Ball for 7500 miles once you've unlocked it)(I think you unlock things in the PokeMile store by earning more and more medals).

- You can check your IVs by talking to the guy in the pokemon center in Kiloude City. The things he says are kind of vague but you're looking for the "stats like that can't be beat!" line. If he says "Incidentally, your pokemon's greatest potential is its HP, Attack, Defense, and Speed!" it means you have perfect 31s in HP/Att/Def/Spe.

- After you check with the IV guy, go to your pokemon's summary screen and mark the perfect IVs. Do you see those six symbols (heart, star, circle, square, etc.)? Pretend they represent HP/Att/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe, in that order. You can just tap on the symbol to fill it in. This will help you keep track of which pokemon have 31s, how many they have, and in what stat.

- Don't worry about getting a 6IV pokemon; it takes a long time and is pretty pointless in almost all cases. Mawile doesn't need its SpA and so I just shoot for 31/31/31/xx/31/31. If it has an imperfection in something other than SpA (say, a 31/31/xx/31/31/31 individual), it still makes great trade fodder because, hell, it has 5 perfect IVs. Don't use the GTS, though. Go to a forum (I prefer SomethingAwful) that has a good thread with a lot of people breeding a lot of different things. You can get some pretty cool stuff for your cast-offs.

- If you use Super Training for your EV needs, a good time to hit the punching bag is while you're biking back and forth hatching eggs.

edit:

- If you want a Hidden Ability, you're going to want to start with a female who has that ability. As you replace Daycare parents with higher quality offspring, make sure you never replace the female with one that doesn't have the Hidden Ability, assuming the HA is what you want the final product to have.

- Egg moves! I usually put these on first. When I wanted Rock Blast Shellders, I bred a male Armaldo with a female Skill Link Shellder until I had female Skill Link Shellder with Rock Blast. Then I bred with a Jolly Ditto so that I would have a female Jolly Skill Link Shellder with Rock Blast. Then I started using male Cloysters and Shellders to ratchet up the IVs.

I assume you know what Everstone/Destiny Knots do, but I'll say it anyway. Destiny Knot ensures 5 random IVs are passed down from the two parents to the egg, and Everstone guarantees the egg has the same nature as the Pokemon holding it while breeding.

This might be written somewhere, but I wouldn't even know where to look. Are EV spreads based off have perfect IVs for a pokemon? I'm trying to raise a Gliscor, and I can see that his EV spread is thought out well enough to give him max healing with Toxic Heal, I'm mostly wondering the above, and where these equations come from?

aVocado

@ Everstone
This might be written somewhere, but I wouldn't even know where to look. Are EV spreads based off have perfect IVs for a pokemon? I'm trying to raise a Gliscor, and I can see that his EV spread is thought out well enough to give him max healing with Toxic Heal, I'm mostly wondering the above, and where these equations come from?
Yes, EV spreads are done assuming the Pokemon has the respective perfect IV stat. As for the equations, they come from maths. I'm not sure how the equation is made though, I only know that it makes sense and is accurate. :P

Is V Create still the preferred option on Timid Victini? And if so, should I run any attack EV's?

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ive seen quite a few sets for mixed aegislash, what ev spread is better, 252 atk, 252 spatk Or 252 spatk, 252 hp. Im going to run shadow ball, shadow sneak, sacred sword and ?. Also will i want +atk or +spatk? The sets on the forums arent very clear.

tl;dr what is mixed aegislash set?

Ive seen quite a few sets for mixed aegislash, what ev spread is better, 252 atk, 252 spatk Or 252 spatk, 252 hp. Im going to run shadow ball, shadow sneak, sacred sword and ?. Also will i want +atk or +spatk? The sets on the forums arent very clear.

Most people run Quiet nature. I'd also use King's Shield for the last spot, and EV's are preference really, but I use enough attack to guarantee an OHKO on normal Ttar in the sand.

Definitely run King's Shield in the last spot so it can switch formes reliably. 240 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD/12 Spe is a good EV spread; 240 HP gives it a lefties number, 12 Speed lets it outrun 0 Speed Tyranitar, and 4 SpD makes sure Genesect doesn't get a SpA boost.

The HP is terrible, and the Speed should be perfect. I'd toss it, especially if you're running a defensive one.
Damn. And I already saved and EV trained it. Only way left is to start over. Not like I'll lose much, honestly. Can't even use that speed boost Torchic most likely, even though I lucked out with a Jolly one.

But since only 3 stats on average can be perfect, which ones should I focus on? I'm guessing HP, Speed, and what else?

Okay, so as I've updated my game before getting my TSV, I'll never know what it is. However, I still want to breed perfect shiny Pokemon (hopefully 6th gen RNG can be figured out sometime soon....). So, what is the method to doing so? So far I assume I would need to save before hatching an egg, hatch it, check IVS, then send it to someone else who can check the shiny value of the egg, then trade it to someone with the corresponding TSV, let them hatch it, finally send it back to myself. Will this actually work, and is there an easier way to do this?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay, so as I've updated my game before getting my TSV, I'll never know what it is. However, I still want to breed perfect shiny Pokemon (hopefully 6th gen RNG can be figured out sometime soon....). So, what is the method to doing so? So far I assume I would need to save before hatching an egg, hatch it, check IVS, then send it to someone else who can check the shiny value of the egg, then trade it to someone with the corresponding TSV, let them hatch it, finally send it back to myself. Will this actually work, and is there an easier way to do this?
Instacheck doesn't work period and you cannot find your value by any means. You're out of luck until further research is done or you Masuda Method.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/instacheck-is-dead-but-keep-your-shiny-values.3494844/

Damn. And I already saved and EV trained it. Only way left is to start over. Not like I'll lose much, honestly. Can't even use that speed boost Torchic most likely, even though I lucked out with a Jolly one.

But since only 3 stats on average can be perfect, which ones should I focus on? I'm guessing HP, Speed, and what else?
If you've already kept it, and have made a lot of progress in the metagame with breeding and whatnot, I'd just keep it. For a Defenzisive Zygarde, I'd focus on HP and the Defenses or speed. For a more offensive set, I'd go with the standard HP, attack, and speed.

Plus, Zygarde isn't the greatest Poke at the moment--you'll have another chance to SR for him in Z, when he'll likely become better.

Instacheck doesn't work period and you cannot find your value by any means. You're out of luck until further research is done or you Masuda Method.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/instacheck-is-dead-but-keep-your-shiny-values.3494844/
Ahh that sucks, thanks for the reply though. Looks like I'll be RNGing up to 4th gen Pokemon only and maybe taking a look at how to RNG in BW. Do you know if there is ongoing research (on smogon) into the RNG method for gen 6?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ahh that sucks, thanks for the reply though. Looks like I'll be RNGing up to 4th gen Pokemon only and maybe taking a look at how to RNG in BW. Do you know if there is ongoing research (on smogon) into the RNG method for gen 6?
Yes, there is ongoing research (as indicated by the thread) but it is not public to my knowledge. I implore you to be patient and not bother the researchers about it. It'll come when they've figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)