Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is Glicko-1? and how do you lower the deviation.
Glicko-1 is a rating system designed to assess skill; check this Wikipedia article for details if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system

You lower the deviation simply by playing. The goal of the deviation is to show how unsure the rating system is of your skill level, and it becomes more and more sure as you win and lose battles, thus lowering the deviation.

I've been using a core consisting of YZard Nuke, Scarf Darmanitan, Defog Scizor, and Volt-Switch Rotom-W, but honestly I'm blanking a little on what the last two pokemon should be. YZard and Scarf Darmanitan are great at punching holes into teams, and Scarf Darmanitan works well as a lead and a fast pivot to Scizor or Rotom (both Volt-Turners).

I've used Mamo with Focus Sash and Stealth Rocks, but he rarely feels like he's getting the job done. I've also tried Galvantula and Sticky Web, which is nice for threats like Genesect, but some teams just don't care about Sticky Web, and I feel like I'm wasting a slot.

I also feel like I need a lure for Blissey, who often comes in on YZard and threatens Scizor with a possible Flamethrower. Darmanitan can force Blissey to switch out, but it really puts a damper on his usefulness when he gets Toxic'd. AV Conk is a bit of a pain in the ass too, since (barring a flinch) Charizard can't switch in for Air Slash without risking a OHKO from Stone Edge.

Last edited:
Would it be worth it to add Fire Punch to Zangoose's moveset due to the Fairy type addition in Gen 6? I'm just wondering if I should or not.

I'd really like to use Swampert in OU, since it's my favorite fully evolved mon. I plan on building a team around it. Which set would be most viable for swampert, and which pokes should I use to cover its many shortcomings?

Would it be worth it to add Fire Punch to Zangoose's moveset due to the Fairy type addition in Gen 6? I'm just wondering if I should or not.
Not for Fairies; it's not SE on them, fire types just have a Fairy resist. Poison Jab would hit Fairies for SE damage.

The only Pokemon that comes to mind that you would want to add Fire Punch for if you didn't have it already is Aegislash.

After trying for weeks to Masuda Method a shiny Honedge, I finally succeeded! However, its IVs are 31 / 31 / 31 / 14-15 / 31 / 30 (it has a Quiet nature and is meant to be a mixed attacker). The low Special Attack IV is worrying me; how many critical KOs are missed with that IV versus a perfect 31? In addition, the in-progress OU analysis suggests 12 Speed EVs for Quiet Aegislash to outrun Sassy Tyranitar; do those EVs change with a 30 Speed IV instead of a 31 IV? And the bottom line: is this Honedge viable for competitive play with friends or should it be display only?

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
I'd really like to use Swampert in OU, since it's my favorite fully evolved mon. I plan on building a team around it. Which set would be most viable for swampert, and which pokes should I use to cover its many shortcomings?
A defensive set with leftovers would be a good bet. Stealth rock, eq, maybe roar? He's a decent physical tank, not that good in OU but you can make him work. As far as teammmates you'll want something to take care of mega-venusaur and other grass types, as well as skarmory. Try something like Tornadus-t or Mega-Pinsir.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After trying for weeks to Masuda Method a shiny Honedge, I finally succeeded! However, its IVs are 31 / 31 / 31 / 14-15 / 31 / 30 (it has a Quiet nature and is meant to be a mixed attacker). The low Special Attack IV is worrying me; how many critical KOs are missed with that IV versus a perfect 31? In addition, the in-progress OU analysis suggests 12 Speed EVs for Quiet Aegislash to outrun Sassy Tyranitar; do those EVs change with a 30 Speed IV instead of a 31 IV? And the bottom line: is this Honedge viable for competitive play with friends or should it be display only?
Yeah, the Speed IV is fine (outrunning Sassy Tar isn't really that important), but the Special Attack IV is a killer. To show this:

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 196-231 (64.4 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery 31 IVs
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 188-224 (61.8 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery 15 IVs

I mean, I'm sure you can tell that's a pretty significant difference. I would say that Honedge will not be optimal for competitive play; I would keep the Honedge for display, but try to breed a penta perfect, at the least (all of them but Speed, which isn't really that important). It isn't crucial for the defensive stat IVs to be perfect, actually, but they should be as close as possible.

Ive been attempting to make a successful OU rain team this gen because I'm sick of all of the Talonflames/Aegilash/Rotom-W but anyway who would be a good partner for Tornadus-T and Politoed? I have tried Keldeo, Azumarill, and many swift swimmer but they are always walled by the same things...

Jukain

!_!
Ive been attempting to make a successful OU rain team this gen because I'm sick of all of the Talonflames/Aegilash/Rotom-W but anyway who would be a good partner for Tornadus-T and Politoed? I have tried Keldeo, Azumarill, and many swift swimmer but they are always walled by the same things...
Well, you need a Swift Swimmer(s) if you want to make that Politoed slot worth it. I would never forgo Kingdra, as it is just so good as a Swift Swimmer.

If you want another SSer I'd run Kabutops, just because it hits from the physical end and in general can do a lot of damage to the specially bulky Pokemon in the tier, and has priority (STAB and rain-boosted, no less) to bypass other priority. Also worth consideration is Mega Heracross, which MVenu and in general bulky Pokemon that threaten Tornadus-T/SSer's cleaning ability. MPinsir is cool too. I'd stick a Ground mon, perhaps Excadrill because it can SR + spin (hazards are annoying for Politoed, priority RKs, etc.), or Chomp, for Thund-I TWaves.

Hope this helped!

This is an idiotic question, but I was wondering what exactly would be a good team archetype to use in the metagame and what is a good Pokemon to start with when building a team? I have built several teams, including Hyper offense and Balance and many of them have failed due to me being weak to a certain threat or type of Pokemon.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is an idiotic question, but I was wondering what exactly would be a good team archetype to use in the metagame and what is a good Pokemon to start with when building a team? I have built several teams, including Hyper offense and Balance and many of them have failed due to me being weak to a certain threat or type of Pokemon.
Hyper offense works exceptionally well with the Deo forms being so good at laying entry hazards and setting up screens, and there's a lot of really cool offensive Pokemon such as Thundurus, Belly Drum Azumarill, Bisharp, Talonflame, Keldeo, Mega Pinsir, Charizard X or Y, Genesect, Dragonite, etc. Bulky offense is probably one of the most successful team archetypes simply because they usually have so many answers to many of the common threats. AV Conk is a staple on any bulky offense team because of its insane bulk and status absorption, and Mega Venusaur is one of the best bulky Megas in the game, being able to check a shit ton threats such as Thundurus, Lucario, Conk, and Azumarill. Rotom-W and Zapdos are both fantastic counters to Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, among a slew of others. Landorus-T checks most physical threats and has great offensive utility.

Honestly though, any team archetype is pretty good in the current meta. Stall is even viable. However, I would recommend bulky offense to start off with simply because you have so much to work with and it's the best way to get a feel for the meta. Once you get used to it, you can start using more offensive oriented teams that focus more on winning through offensive pressure and momentum instead of defensive answers. Balanced is good too, but having a more offensive presence is always something every non-stall team should really have.

Yeah, the Speed IV is fine (outrunning Sassy Tar isn't really that important), but the Special Attack IV is a killer. To show this:

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 196-231 (64.4 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery 31 IVs
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 188-224 (61.8 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery 15 IVs

I mean, I'm sure you can tell that's a pretty significant difference. I would say that Honedge will not be optimal for competitive play; I would keep the Honedge for display, but try to breed a penta perfect, at the least (all of them but Speed, which isn't really that important). It isn't crucial for the defensive stat IVs to be perfect, actually, but they should be as close as possible.
Um, I'm probably about to show my ignorance of calculations here, but I'm not seeing a significant difference in those calculations. Both are 2HKOs that do over 60%. The difference in maximum damage is just over 2%. What am I supposed to be looking for that shows that the Honedge with lower IVs is disadvantaged?

Well, you need a Swift Swimmer(s) if you want to make that Politoed slot worth it. I would never forgo Kingdra, as it is just so good as a Swift Swimmer.

If you want another SSer I'd run Kabutops, just because it hits from the physical end and in general can do a lot of damage to the specially bulky Pokemon in the tier, and has priority (STAB and rain-boosted, no less) to bypass other priority. Also worth consideration is Mega Heracross, which MVenu and in general bulky Pokemon that threaten Tornadus-T/SSer's cleaning ability. MPinsir is cool too. I'd stick a Ground mon, perhaps Excadrill because it can SR + spin (hazards are annoying for Politoed, priority RKs, etc.), or Chomp, for Thund-I TWaves.

Hope this helped!
Thanks for your ideas, Mega Heracross is actually working very well as a wall breaker and can take out crap that threaten my team like Azumarill and Rotom-Wash with Bullet Seed. Im running a mixed set for Kingdra, bias to special attack, with Surf, Draco Meteor, Waterfall, and Outrage. The main problem with it is that it gets worn down fast with Life Orb recoil and takes decent damage from most attacks. Other than that Excadrill is alright, and I' debating over my final spot,right now I might go with either Ludicolo or Kabutops, depending on which one fits my team better.

Um, I'm probably about to show my ignorance of calculations here, but I'm not seeing a significant difference in those calculations. Both are 2HKOs that do over 60%. The difference in maximum damage is just over 2%. What am I supposed to be looking for that shows that the Honedge with lower IVs is disadvantaged?
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 196-231 (64.4 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
188+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 188-224 (61.8 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Coming at it from a different angle, you're basically losing 64 EVs for nothing. I'm unsure of what specific threats this matters on, but from what I've seen using the Shadow Ball+Shadow Sneak combination I'd imagine there's a lot of things that could survive with 1~2% because of those missing IVs.

If I want 5/6 IV pokemon such as Zygarde/ Mewtwo is it all down to complete luck with SR or is there any way to improve odds? What would a respectable spread be if not, just -/31/-/-/-/31 for Zygarde and -/-/-/31/-/31 for Mewtwo?

If you put a mega stone on something capable of Transforming, can you mega evolve if you transform into the respective Pokemon?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Does the damage increase from Knock Off still apply even if the Pokemon is holding a mega stone?
No, knock off is 65 base power when used against something holding its mega stone

However if you use knock off against a pokemon with Sticky Hold, it will always be 97.5

If I want 5/6 IV pokemon such as Zygarde/ Mewtwo is it all down to complete luck with SR or is there any way to improve odds? What would a respectable spread be if not, just -/31/-/-/-/31 for Zygarde and -/-/-/31/-/31 for Mewtwo?
All unbreedable pokemon in XY are guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs -- this includes all legendary pokemon and baby pokemon (even ones outside of the safari)

Make sure you have a synchronizer at the head of your party but otherwise yeah, it's just down to luck

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's all down to luck. There are 3 guaranteed perfect IVs for every legendary.
What's the best moveset for Infernape, Bisharp, Conkeldurr, and Infernape in the current meta?
Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Adamant - Guts
252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SpD
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock off

Bisharp @ Life Orb / Dread Plate
Adamant - Defiant
252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

those imo.

Whats a good set for offensive and defensive Roserade?

Offensive @ Black Sludge/Life Orb
Timid 4hp/252 spatk/speed
-Sleep Powder/Dazzling Gleam
-Sludge Bomb
-Leaf Storm/Giga Drain
-Rest

Defensive @ Black Sludge
Calm 252hp/spdef/4spatk
-Sleep Powder/Aromatherapy
-Sludge Bomb/Aromatherapy
-Giga Drain
-Toxic Spikes

It also gets Synthesis, Leech Seed, Spikes, Grass Knot, Rest (defensive set).
Can't decide between moves. Help please?

Hope this helped!
This is literally the team I used to make reqs, lol- Excadrill/Kabutops/Kingdra/Toed/MegaHeracross/Tornadus-T.

It works pretty well and it's great fun to use. You do have to play around Aegislash a bit, especially Balloon Aegi (common on HO teams), since nothing on the team can soak a Shadow Ball. Another pretty large issue is Azumarill, who can come in on Kingdra and immediately put you on the back foot, though again you can play around it.

I definitely recommend Kabutops by the way, powerful Aqua Jets are an incredibly useful tool (if you can get Thundy-I to switch in twice on rocks then you can Aqua Jet before he T-Waves you, Aqua Jet also outspeeds TF Brave Bird and OHKOs in the rain) and with his resistances to many common types of priority (Brave Bird, Pinsir Quick Attack, Extremespeed) he's a very effective lategame sweeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)