Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jolly or Adamant nature for sword dance set lucario? and why?

also since is gonna be for XY with pentagon, I can't run ice punch, should I bring Earthquake or Crunch or bullet punch for the last slot?
I believe Adamant is a better nature for regular SD Lucario. Adamant allows a +2 Lucario to secure many KOs such as on Skarmory and Hippowdon, which are quite important. It also makes up for the lack of speed in its priority moves (Bullet Punch and Extreme Speed). Furthermore, there are a very limited number of Pokemon it gains the upper hand on by using a Jolly nature.

I'm thinking of breeding this for competitive battling, do any of you think this would be any good against fairys? Also need some help on a few areas.

Pokemon: Gengar
Nature: Should I go with Modest or Timid?
Item: Gengarite
EVs: 252 Sp.att | 252 Spd | 4 ?
Move set:
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Focus Blast
Dazzling Gleam or Thunderbolt?

Shadow Ball for basic STAB move and good for pyshics, Sludge Bomb for the fairy's, Focus Blast for high type coverage and either Dazzling Gleam for Dragons and fighting types or thunderbolt for flying/water.

Well, if you plan to use Gengar in OU, then you can't use this set because Gengarite is banned. However you can still use any of his other sets, I don't know which one is its best though.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Stupid question but if you have a pokemon with an intact air balloon behind a substitute, does breaking the sub also break the balloon?

Also, if a steel type pokemon tries to switch out when the opponent has Magnet Pull, will it use up a turn or will they just get a message about it and be able to do something else that turn?

Been looking at the Venusaur page, why do MVenusaur sets have Quiet? I mean, he has decent speed, is the ability to have no negative offensive or defensive stats that important?

Been looking at the Venusaur page, why do MVenusaur sets have Quiet? I mean, he has decent speed, is the ability to have no negative offensive or defensive stats that important?
MVenu can run mixed offensive and mixed wall all at the same time. There are very, very few Pokemon that can do that. If you assume that a neutral nature is unacceptable (as most people seem to do), then out of all of his stats, Speed is the one that Mega Venusaur can most afford to lose. Denting his excellent defenses and great mixed offenses to try to salvage his mediocre speed is just a bit suboptimal, especially when he's fat enough to just face-tank anything that might outspeed him because of the Quiet speed drop.

I don't know if this has been asked already, but with the release of Pokebank and Gen 6's new breeding mechanics, is it possible to get a Hydreigon with both Earth Power and Dark Pulse in X&Y?

I don't know if this has been asked already, but with the release of Pokebank and Gen 6's new breeding mechanics, is it possible to get a Hydreigon with both Earth Power and Dark Pulse in X&Y?
Dark Pulse is a TM in Gen 6.

Earth Power is an egg move, but the only possible parent is... a Hydreigon. This means that you've got to get a Hydreigon that already knows Earth Power; the only place they can get it is the gen 5 Move Tutors, but you ought to be able to find one somewhere. Once you have one, though, any of its offspring will inherit Earth Power, too.

If you can track down an Earth Power Hydreigon, then yes, that moveset is completely legal.

Dark Pulse is a TM in Gen 6.

Earth Power is an egg move, but the only possible parent is... a Hydreigon. This means that you've got to get a Hydreigon that already knows Earth Power; the only place they can get it is the gen 5 Move Tutors, but you ought to be able to find one somewhere. Once you have one, though, any of its offspring will inherit Earth Power, too.

If you can track down an Earth Power Hydreigon, then yes, that moveset is completely legal.
Awesome, thanks! Time to start looking >_<

Hey guys, I'm collecting quite a few flawless Pokemon through breeding and trading and I'm ready to get into competitive battling. Where in the heck do I find strong sample teams or where can I post what I have and ask for help picking a team from them?

Would it be beneficial to start up a diancie thread now that we know its stats and movepool or are we going to wait until its released officially like keldeo, meloetta and genesect in 5th? sorry if this is more of a technical question as opposed to a simple question

My friend genned a HA Eevee with wish, hyper voice, heal bell and it got through bank just fine, but when he tried trading it to me, it said a Pokemon in either trainer's party cannot be traded. Why is this?

My friend genned a HA Eevee with wish, hyper voice, heal bell and it got through bank just fine, but when he tried trading it to me, it said a Pokemon in either trainer's party cannot be traded. Why is this?
Despite the improvements that came with the delay, Bank's hack checks are still complete shit.

What's the deal with cloned pokemon this gen? Are they counted as "real" for the purposes of hack checking (i.e. that performed in trading, using in official tournaments, etc.)? Will they affect my game at all if I trade for one? I ask because I want a Zapdos (I picked Froakie) but I doubt anyone would trade their only Zapdos except for extravagant things I don't have. I still might not trade for a clone, because I'm not sure how I feel about the concept, but I'm still curious about the whole thing.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What's the deal with cloned pokemon this gen? Are they counted as "real" for the purposes of hack checking (i.e. that performed in trading, using in official tournaments, etc.)? Will they affect my game at all if I trade for one? I ask because I want a Zapdos (I picked Froakie) but I doubt anyone would trade their only Zapdos except for extravagant things I don't have. I still might not trade for a clone, because I'm not sure how I feel about the concept, but I'm still curious about the whole thing.
a clone is literally just that -- an exact replica of an already existing pokemon. If the original pokemon is valid, the clone will be valid too, by definition

Apparently one can't Sky Drop a T-Tar or Hippo.
How does the Sky Drop formula work? Is it based on the difference in weight of the user and target? (No more than X lbs difference between target and user)
Or is there a weight limit in general? (Pokemon over X lbs can't be Sky Dropped period)
One more. In Showdown, when using Sky Drop in doubles, on the second turn the user can choose the target to deal damage to with Sky Drop, does this stay true in the video games?

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Apparently one can't Sky Drop a T-Tar or Hippo.
How does the Sky Drop formula work? Is it based on the difference in weight of the user and target? (No more than X lbs difference between target and user)
Or is there a weight limit in general? (Pokemon over X lbs can't be Sky Dropped period)
One more. In Showdown, when using Sky Drop in doubles, on the second turn the user can choose the target to deal damage to with Sky Drop, does this stay true in the video games?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-mechanics-research.3489239/page-53#post-5255712 for the first part

Was wondering on how exactly Mat Block works in triples.

Is it possible to run something like Scarf Smeargle and Greninja on the first turn Greninja uses Mat Block and you switch your other poke to Smeargle on the same turn. Next turn Smeargle uses Mat Block and Greninja U-turns. Then another poke U-turns to get Greninja back in and repeat.

Is it possible to get it to work this way? I hope not but always wondered if it could. Although status can still get through like Taunt or your opponent could be faster so its possible to get past it but just wondering.

Hey guys, I'm collecting quite a few flawless Pokemon through breeding and trading and I'm ready to get into competitive battling. Where in the heck do I find strong sample teams or where can I post what I have and ask for help picking a team from them?
the rate my team if you have any idea what your doing, but battle 101 will be better for helping you pick a team and stuff

My team right now is doing really well, but it gets completely crushed when the other team has a Weavile (Jolly / Night Slash / Ice Shard / Low Kick / Ice Punch). All I can do is hope to Thunder Wave it with Thundurus (who can't even switch in; he needs to come in and use priority Thunder Wave if he gets in for free, like after another Pokemon faints), and then anyone can finish it. If Thundurus dies before paralyzing Weavile, or the opponent is careful to prevent Weavile from getting paralyzed, I'm boned. What can I change to be less Weavile-weak?

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 224 SDef / 8 Spd
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Garchomp (Garchomp-Mega) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

My team right now is doing really well, but it gets completely crushed when the other team has a Weavile (Jolly / Night Slash / Ice Shard / Low Kick / Ice Punch). All I can do is hope to Thunder Wave it with Thundurus (who can't even switch in; he needs to come in and use priority Thunder Wave if he gets in for free, like after another Pokemon faints), and then anyone can finish it. If Thundurus dies before paralyzing Weavile, or the opponent is careful to prevent Weavile from getting paralyzed, I'm boned. What can I change to be less Weavile-weak?

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 224 SDef / 8 Spd
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Garchomp (Garchomp-Mega) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
2/3 of your entire team is weak to ice; it's not just Weavile you should be afraid of. Anyway, Keldeo is probably the single best option for dealing with Weevile, since it can take any hit and OHKO back with secret sword. Maybe replace Latios with it since Keldeo performs a similar role. But you might consider replacing a second pokemon on your team too so less of it is weak to ice.

So I just hatched my first shiny ever (woot), it's a Helioptile. But the RNG decided to troll me hard and gave me perfect IVs on everything BUT Special Attack, where it has 20 IVs.

Since it's my first shiny, I really want her for competitive, but I'm worried that those 11 missing IVs will bite me in the ass someday. So yeah, are they really that significant?

2/3 of your entire team is weak to ice; it's not just Weavile you should be afraid of. Anyway, Keldeo is probably the single best option for dealing with Weevile, since it can take any hit and OHKO back with secret sword. Maybe replace Latios with it since Keldeo performs a similar role. But you might consider replacing a second pokemon on your team too so less of it is weak to ice.
Thanks for the help. I need Latios (or Latias) to check enemy Thundurus or Landorus, so I'm keeping him. I replaced Mega-Garchomp and Mandibuzz with the following:
Garchomp (F) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

Scizor (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

So I just hatched my first shiny ever (woot), it's a Helioptile. But the RNG decided to troll me hard and gave me perfect IVs on everything BUT Special Attack, where it has 20 IVs.

Since it's my first shiny, I really want her for competitive, but I'm worried that those 11 missing IVs will bite me in the ass someday. So yeah, are they really that significant?
Every time I ask this question, the answer is always "You'll regret it when your opponent lives by 2 or 3 HP." But honestly, I'd say just use it. Assuming none of the other IVs are terrible, speed is the only thing on a sweeper that will make or break a match in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)