Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
I have two questions that go hand in hand:

1) I haven't played a pokemon game since Silver back on the gbc. With many players having access to pokebank and the moves and pokemon that come with it, am I going to be at a huge disadvantage if I attempt to begin competative battling starting at x/y? Am I going to be hamstrung in terms of the teams I am able to make since my access to the previous games is non existence?

2) How long does it actually take to breed a battle worthy (ie at least 5IV) pokemon? I hear people say it's 'easy' or 'not that long', but I never a rough estimate and I was hoping to get a more concrete answer to see if I have the time to put into making a competitive team.

Thanks for the help in advance!
1.) If you have no access to trade or no intent to trade, then it may be a tad harder for you to get back into it, as you won't be getting some of the OU legends that other people have access to, as well as a few moves. Other than that, not too much of a disadvantage, more so just a mild nuisance.

2.) It all depends on a variety of factors, such as what starting parents you have, be it a 6IV Ditto and the original Mon you want to breed or if you are starting from scratch. If you are using a 6 IV Ditto, it is quite easy, under 10 eggs max to get a 5IV Pokemon, though getting the perfect IV spread or a 6IV one could take a few more eggs. If starting from scratch, it can be a bit more time consuming. Starting off with both parents having 2 IVs in different stats (Parent one having, say HP and Att. and parent two having Def. and Speed.) could take a bit longer, not sure the exact egg count, but should not take more than an hour of rigorous breeding, unless you unfortunately have horrible luck, in which case, it may be time to get a 6IV Ditto.

Are there any decent rapid spinners that can benefit from/do well on rain teams and doesn't get destroyed by boltbeam? I'm considering Kabutops at the moment, but open to other suggestions. Has to be OU btw.
You can run Excadrill if you have space, it's not hurt by rain since its OHKO'd by most water attacks anyways. Kabutops is your best other bet.

Are there any decent rapid spinners that can benefit from/do well on rain teams and doesn't get destroyed by boltbeam? I'm considering Kabutops at the moment, but open to other suggestions. Has to be OU btw.
well the water types (starmie tenta blastoise mega and kabutops) all benefit from rain. Excadrill and forretress benefit from rain cause its advantages to it (weaker fire moves) outweight the stronger water moves. Donphan is obviously also OU viable but it doesn't benefit as much from rain although it's not surviving water moves anyway while fire moves are weakened.

Just about every rapid spinner benefits from rain, lol.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Donphan is not really OU viable, neither is forretress. If you need hazard control on a rain team I would advise you to use Defog Zapdos, maybe with a physically defensive set and Thunder.

Magnezone, how do I use this guy?
I FINALLY bred two with HP Fire.

One I plan on using Assault Vest, the other I don't know yet.
They're both Modest HP Fire.

The AV one I plan on using:
Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 6 SpDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Charge Beam / Volt Switch (haven't decided)
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Perhaps the ol' Specs set is still good?

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 172 HP / 84 Speed
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Are there any good defensive threats that don't require holding Leftovers? I'm just asking because I already have a Pokémon with Leftovers, and Pickup doesn't seem to work :P
EDIT: I also have a Mega Evolution, so no Mega Stones either
Gliscor uses a toxic orb instead of leftovers, and any poison type can use black sludge.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magnezone, how do I use this guy?
I FINALLY bred two with HP Fire.

One I plan on using Assault Vest, the other I don't know yet.
They're both Modest HP Fire.

The AV one I plan on using:
Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 6 SpDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Charge Beam / Volt Switch (haven't decided)
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Perhaps the ol' Specs set is still good?

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 172 HP / 84 Speed
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Assault Vest Mag is terrible.. Specs is pretty much the only one viable. Run a 252 spa/252 spe spread.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus

OK cool thanks, do you know how to re-name the link?
yea i think, right click on the number and click "copy link address", then:
Code:
[URL=http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-simple-questions-simple-answers-read-the-op-first.3489309/page-238#post-5471991]RENAME HERE[/URL]
which should come out like:
RENAME HERE

lol :)

At level 50, is there a difference between 30 IV and 31 IV?
I think the formula for level 50 is (EVs/8) + (IVs/2) has to equal a whole number to not waste any EVs because the game rounds down after adding. So if you're putting 252 EVs into the stat, then yes, there will be a 1 point difference. For example, 31 IVs and 252 EVs = 15.5 + 31.5 = 47, so nothing was wasted. But if you're at 30 IVs, then 30 IVs + 252 EVs = 15 + 31.5 = 46.5 rounded down = 46. In that case you could've taken 4 EVs from that stat (30/2 + 248/8 = 15 + 31 = 46) and put them into another stat with 31 IVs for an extra point.

How does max speed (non mega) TTar benefits from jolly over adamant?
He outspeeds neutral 0 EV base 100s, so I guess he can hit 0 speed Mamoswine with superpower.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. He can outspeed 0 speed Mamo with Adamant, too. I don't know that T-tar gets much benefit from Jolly over Adamant.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
How does max speed (non mega) TTar benefits from jolly over adamant?
This allows a Tyranitar holding a Choice Scarf to outspeed fully invested positive-natured base 115s. This is mostly important for base 110s like Lati@s and Gengar, as well as base 111 Thundurus, but outspeeding Starmie and Raikou is still nice.

Edit: If not holding Scarf, then yeah Jolly is probably not worth the power drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)