Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here it goes:
I'm making my Battle of Hoenn team, and I have a few doubts (remember it's 3v3)

1) Moveset for M-Gallade? I thought of Close Combat, Zen Headbutt, Knock Off and Ice Punch
2) M-Altaria, special or physical? I thought special to counter Mega Salamence. Hyper Voice, Fire Blast, Roost, and..?
3) Is Soul Dew banned? If so, Scarf Latios or Life Orb Latios? If scarfed, should it have Trick?

Thanks!

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

1) Moveset for M-Gallade? I thought of Close Combat, Zen Headbutt, Knock Off and Ice Punch
2) M-Altaria, special or physical? I thought special to counter Mega Salamence. Hyper Voice, Fire Blast, Roost, and..?
3) Is Soul Dew banned? If so, Scarf Latios or Life Orb Latios? If scarfed, should it have Trick?

Thanks!
Gallade should run Swords Dance / Close Combat / Knock Off / Zen Headbutt in most scenarios, although I'm not sure how many opportunities it will get to setup in a 3v3.
Special mega altaria is probably the best set with Hyper Voice, Roost, Fire Blast, and Draco Meteor.
Not sure about Soul Dew, I'd ask that in the wifi subforum.

Thanks!
This generally isn't the best place to ask as OU is completely different from Battle Spot; remember they don't ban broken shit like Blaziken and Mega Salamence so you really have to prepare for them. Not to mention this is restricted to Hoenn Dex-Only without the event legends or weather trio. So a lot of sets really won't be as effective as they might seem to be in OU.
But Soul Dew is banned, yes.

I don't know if I'm in the right forum... If not, then sorry for posting here!

I'm trying to soft reset for a Trick Room Quiet Heatran and got one right now with these stats:

30-31 / 26-27 / 30-31 / 30-31 / 30-31 / 16-19.

Should I keep it or is it too fast?
Honestly, for in-game I doubt you're going to get any better than that without Powersave or whatever. I'd say just roll with it as the 16-19 extra points prolly ain't gonna be that important.

Kurona: Thanks for the reply! I was told in a different forum where to post instead. I'm so insecure right now about that Speed IV... :/
Trick room kinda messes up the equation, but you may be okay. The best way to answer your question would be to check this forum: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-speed-tiers.3527024/. It lists Pokemon by their speed tiers, so you can scroll down to where they post minimum speed Heatran to determine what would outspeed it under Trick Room. At level 100, you should have 160 speed (assuming 19 speed IVs). At a quick glance, you'll probably be okay since a lot of things in that speed tier aren't usually offensive sets, but the call on whether to toss or keep it is up to you.

Trick room kinda messes up the equation, but you may be okay. The best way to answer your question would be to check this forum: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-speed-tiers.3527024/. It lists Pokemon by their speed tiers, so you can scroll down to where they post minimum speed Heatran to determine what would outspeed it under Trick Room. At level 100, you should have 160 speed (assuming 19 speed IVs). At a quick glance, you'll probably be okay since a lot of things in that speed tier aren't usually offensive sets, but the call on whether to toss or keep it is up to you.
Wow, this list is awesome!!! Thanks for posting this, this helps me a lot! Looking at this list, it seems like I would only "outspeed" neutral Tyranitar, Clefable, Empoleon, Porygon2, Sylveon, Ampharos, Blissey, Gourgeist-Super and -Speed Hoopa Unbound and Diggersby if I go for 0 Speed Heatran instead. I'm keeping this Heatran! Thanks a lot, Sanger Zonvolt!!!!!!

Just curious what the general "fast" Heatran set is I keep seeing pop up.

Is it 252 hp 252 speed? 252 spatk 252 speed?
Mono-attacking support w/lefties?

Life Orb Fire Blast?

Why did it develop? For Bisharp?

Thanks in advance

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just curious what the general "fast" Heatran set is I keep seeing pop up.

Is it 252 hp 252 speed? 252 spatk 252 speed?
Mono-attacking support w/lefties?

Life Orb Fire Blast?

Why did it develop? For Bisharp?

Thanks in advance
name: Fast Support
move 1: Lava Plume
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Stealth Rock
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Yeah, mono-attacking pretty much. The use of max spa fire blast over lava plume is so you can 2hko mega sableye most of the time as well as most gliscor at the cost of bulk. It also is nice to outspeed bisharp, mega heracross, etc.

what is the spread for modest tg rd manaphy? i've been running the timid 96/252/168, but it can't break clefable. can someone confirm if there is a special spread for modest?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
what is the spread for modest tg rd manaphy? i've been running the timid 96/252/168, but it can't break clefable. can someone confirm if there is a special spread for modest?
Modest is normally 252 SpA with either 216 Speed to outrun neutral nature speed Kyurem-B or 240 to outpace Pinsir and Heracross, the latter before a mega evolution. With that said I usually run a 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe spread when I need to run Modest nature Manaphy.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Thanks!
You might want to try asking in the battle spot forum instead, since that's where battle spot tournament threads are. OU and BS are pretty different metas!

Exactly why, if the knock off spam started in the 6th gen, Chansey was BL and Blissey OU in gen 5, and in gen 6 Chansey rose to OU and Blissey droped to UU?
This was mainly due to the major buff knock off was given. It went from 20 to 65 power, and deals double damage when it knocked of an item.

The reason Blissey was OU in gen 5 was due to the large amount of weather spam. It could have natural recovery thanks to it not needing to hold Eviolite. However, due to the weather nerf, Chansey is almost always the better option now.

Does anyone know where I can find dex sprites with the exact same style as these:
?

I got these from serebii a while back but they changed their sprites iirc, unless I looked in the wrong place

Just a simple here regarding tiering

Why aren't lesser used and low viable ubers like Reshiram freed into the OU tier?

I know Uber usage doesn't mean jack squat in tiering but why aren't lower ranked Ubers given at least a Suspect in OU?

Why aren't lesser used and low viable ubers like Reshiram freed into the OU tier?

I know Uber usage doesn't mean jack squat in tiering but why aren't lower ranked Ubers given at least a Suspect in OU?
When Pokémon are banned from OU, it's because they are broken in OU, not because they might do well in Ubers. Bad ubers (mind you, Reshiram is not one) are not necessarily balanced in OU, they just don't fit in the current Ubers meta.

I honestly thought about this for Reshiram and Kyurem-W. THen I tried using the Honkalculate feature at gamut-was-taken.github.io, and found that the only thing that walled a LO set of Blue Flare, Draco Meteor, Focus Blast, and Stone Edge were the Blobs and AV Azumarill (which could be hit on the switch with a Wisp, neutering it for the rest of the match). Then I tried KyuW (swapping Blue Flare for Fusion Flare and Stone Edge for Ice Beam), and the only things again were AV Azumarill and Chansey (Blissey had a decent chance to be 2hko'd after rocks).

Is Sableye-M likely to be suspected any time soon?

I was reading a thread in the Ubers forum and it said that the banning process for OU is to 'continue banning Pokemon until the metagame is no longer centralised'. I'd say Sableye-M is certainly pretty central at the minute, given how it's on every stall team, which is currently the most popular archetype. You're also effectively forced to include a check when teambuilding, which limits what you can do elsewhere.

I was reading a thread in the Ubers forum and it said that the banning process for OU is to 'continue banning Pokemon until the metagame is no longer centralised'. I'd say Sableye-M is certainly pretty central at the minute, given how it's on every stall team, which is currently the most popular archetype. You're also effectively forced to include a check when teambuilding, which limits what you can do elsewhere.
Mega Sableye checks are honestly not that hard to come by tbh; literally just a Fairy which are easy to put on a ton of teams (Gardevoir, Sylveon, Clefable...)

I can see it being suspected along with mega metagross in the future, but I think people overestimate it tbh. That's just my opinion though, but from what i've seen people treat it like a chicken when it's only a feather... Or maybe like a wing in this case since it is still very good, just not as OP as I keep hearing.

As reliable as ever,alright, thanks gents. Related question; what happened to Chandelure getting Shadow Tag? I quit around the time ST 'lure was revealed and have only recently come back.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
In my opinion Mega Sableye is not necessarily broken, but the fact it makes stall (where it is used most on) much more viable because it is (1) with unaware max def clefable the only true counter for mega gallade and (2) gives so much utility with bulk + movepool + magic bounce is the real issue with Sableye. Magic Bounce makes stall much harder to wear down because Mega Sableye stops nearly all hazards setters (bar clefable, landorus, lumchomp, skill swap azelf, mold breaker excadrill and dazzling gleam klefki) and nearly all stallbreakers because it reflects the Taunt. I can't see Mega Sableye get suspected untill stall becomes so dominating with Mega Sableye as main issue
Mega Metagross is in my opinion the best pokemon in the current metagame because its coverage leaves it with very few checks (starmie, victini, slowbro, skarmory and mew are probably the best) Playing around Metagross without any of the few checks is very difficult because every time it comes in something has to take a big hit from Meteor Mash / Zen Headbutt. At this point Metagross does not sound broken to me, but with the metagame revolving (and people doesn't want the metagame to become stale so they want to ban something) Metagross seems the best canditate for the next suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)