Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats a good "standard" volcarona set? I see it rising in viability but I can't exactly figure out what the meta defining set is nowadays.
Volcarona @ Passho Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ground / Bug Buzz

Passho Berry lets you set-up on Water-types. HP Ground lures Heatran, Giga Drain hits Water-types hard while Fire Blast for STAB. 184 Spe Timid outpaces Scarf Lando-T at +1

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Volcarona @ Passho Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ground / Bug Buzz

Passho Berry lets you set-up on Water-types. HP Ground lures Heatran, Giga Drain hits Water-types hard while Fire Blast for STAB. 184 Spe Timid outpaces Scarf Lando-T at +1
You probably want to switch giga drain and bug buzz as a STAB boosted bug buzz actually can hit a ton of targets super hard and is only 30 power weaker than a super effective giga drain. Then, you might want to slash roost on the last slot if you don't really need the last coverage move and don't have the best team for keeping rocks off of the field.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You probably want to switch giga drain and bug buzz as a STAB boosted bug buzz actually can hit a ton of targets super hard and is only 30 power weaker than a super effective giga drain. Then, you might want to slash roost on the last slot if you don't really need the last coverage move and don't have the best team for keeping rocks off of the field.
Not exactly true, as Giga drain is mandatory to hit common water types such as Keldeo and azumarill. The slashes provided by DN are perfectly fine, HP Ground obviously deals with tran but bug buzz has the merits of a harder hit on the likes of mew, slowbro, and the latis, and should be used if your team can pressure or lure Heatran with something like eq Latios or w/e.
Edit: Wait how is it not needed on the set lol? It's a good move, hp ground is just usually more useful.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not exactly true, as Giga drain is mandatory to hit common water types such as Keldeo and azumarill. The slashes provided by DN are perfectly fine, HP Ground obviously deals with tran but bug buzz has the merits of a harder hit on the likes of mew, slowbro, and the latis, and should be used if your team can pressure or lure Heatran with something like eq Latios or w/e.
Makes sense, I just wanted to point out that bug buzz generally hits a ton of mons harder, but it isn't needed on the set.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Edit: Wait how is it not needed on the set lol? It's a good move, hp ground is just usually more useful.
Wait who is DN is that me cuz I never said anything about Volcarona >.<
Also I'm kinda unfamiliar with why Genesect was banned since I joined right after it left... Was it because it had a shit-ton of moves in its arsenal or something like that?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wait who is DN is that me cuz I never said anything about Volcarona >.<
Also I'm kinda unfamiliar with why Genesect was banned since I joined right after it left... Was it because it had a shit-ton of moves in its arsenal or something like that?
Whoops, my bad lol. Yeah, that's basically it; genesects absurd versatility and movepool coupled with its ability to easily gain momentum was one of the major factors.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What are the best ways to deal with M-Venu?
Keeping offensive pressure with pokemon like Latios in combination with hazards. If you don't give Venusaur many opportunities to heal itself it is pretty easy to wear down to a point where it can't switch in anymore. Poison and Steel types are good switchins for Venusaur as they both resist Venusaur's STABs, but they need to watch out for Earthquake or HP Fire. If Venusaur lacks Earthquake, Heatran comes in for free every time and if it lacks HP Fire it loses against Ferrothorn and Scizor. Other pokemon like Gengar, Tornadus-T and SpD Talonflame can switch in pretty easily and force Venusaur out with a Sludge Wave / Hurricane / Brave Bird.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What are the best ways to deal with M-Venu?

Is AV Bisharp a thing now? What does it do?
AV Bisharp has been a thing for a while (albeit not very common). It's a better switch-in to Fairies that otherwise do a LOT with their STAB and can Pursuit trap Latios more reliably since it's not longer 2HKO'd by LO Draco Meteor.

Foul Play's attack takes into the opposing mon's attack stat into consideration i.e. the higher the opponent's attack is, the more damage you'll deal with Foul Play; the opposite is also true. With powerful moves such as Knock off and Crunch, Pangoro can't afford to have such an inconsistent move that doesn't even take advantage of its high attack stat. Foul Play is typically seen on defensive mons, such as Mandibuzz and Mega Sableye.

Reactions: LLR
I'm curious why none of Pangoro's suggested move sets include Foul Play?
Foul Play is generally used by Pokemon with low offensive stats (on the Physical side at least) to deter strong physical attackers from setting up on them. Pangoro's offensive stats are high enough that he's better off using his own offenses instead of the opponent's

Edit: Ninja'd

Reactions: LLR
Foul Play's attack takes into the opposing mon's attack stat into consideration i.e. the higher the opponent's attack is, the more damage you'll deal with Foul Play; the opposite is also true. With powerful moves such as Knock off and Crunch, Pangoro can't afford to have such an inconsistent move that doesn't even take advantage of its high attack stat. Foul Play is typically seen on defensive mons, such as Mandibuzz and Mega Sableye.
Foul Play is generally used by Pokemon with low offensive stats (on the Physical side at least) to deter strong physical attackers from setting up on them. Pangoro's offensive stats are high enough that he's better off using his own offenses instead of the opponent's

Edit: Ninja'd
I was wondering and thought might may it. Thank you both for the quick responses.

Uh, I hope I'm not going overboard with this question. Basically I like to have OU battles on the cartridge once in a while, so I breeded my showdown team to ORAS so I can battle there. The thing is, Link battles on the cartridge are all set at level 50, instead of Showdown's level 100, so I was wondering if I had to do any adjustments at their ev spreads? For example, I have questions like: Zapdos recieves less stealth rock damage with 248 HP evs, but is this still true at level 50? Gengar minimizes LO recoil with 29 HP ivs, is this also true at level 50?

This is my team
Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (I'm assuming this is fine)
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Bisharp (M) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe (outspeeds 124 spe Heatran; does he still do?)
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Cindy (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD (I'm pretty sure it gets max lefties recovery with full hp)
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave

Mandy (Gengar) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (probably fine, but...)
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk (I recall someone on showdown pointing that at level 50 Gengar needed less HP ivs)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave

Kami (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 16 Spe (248 is to reduce sr damage and 16 for outspeeeding damant Bisharp. Wondering if this is still true at level 50)
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (this is probably fine too.)
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
How often do tier changes happen in the metagame? For example, Starmie still has 4 or so UU sets up on the main site in spite of being OU (possibly a recent change?).
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/starmie

Can you name some recent changes, or even better - offer a way for a person interested in it to follow such changes easily (without digging through a ton of threads on various subforums)?

p2

Banned deucer.
How often do tier changes happen in the metagame? For example, Starmie still has 4 or so UU sets up on the main site in spite of being OU (possibly a recent change?).
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/starmie

Can you name some recent changes, or even better - offer a way for a person interested in it to follow such changes easily (without digging through a ton of threads on various subforums)?
By recent changes, I assume you mean tier shifts? This thread updates every 3 months

The latest OU relevant rises were Celebi, Starmie, Raikou, Manaphy, Diancie and Jirachi moving into OU

With Mega-Banette, does Prankster work on the same turn I mega evolve or are the priority tiers locked in on that first turn (for example, if I use Destiny Bond on the Mega evo turn would it come with increased priority)? I thinking Banette would be useful on a Trick Room team as a setter but also as a hard stop to non-priority attack set up sweepers, but that's only true if it gets priority that first turn.

With Mega-Banette, does Prankster work on the same turn I mega evolve or are the priority tiers locked in on that first turn (for example, if I use Destiny Bond on the Mega evo turn would it come with increased priority)? I thinking Banette would be useful on a Trick Room team as a setter but also as a hard stop to non-priority attack set up sweepers, but that's only true if it gets priority that first turn.
Unfortunately, turn order is determined before Mega Evolution, which means that you'll be stuck using Banette's Speed on the first turn. You'll be stuck having to use Protect on the first turn in order to guarantee survival.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Second turn, im afraid, abilities always actiavate on second turn for megas

also dont use mega banette on trick room, prankster trick room is still like -5 priority

edit: goddamn it tressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)