Psyshock
Shadow Ball

Iron Defense
Energy Ball
Stored Power

Sticky Web
Recover

Overview:
Stored Power is now a TM, but there aren't a whole lot of Pokemon out there that can reliably use it, or at least prefer the more reliable and convenient Psychic. But Orbeetle looks like a Pokemon that was specifically designed to utilize Stored Power to its full potential (Provided you can deal with the pain of evolving it). With access to reliable recovery, good defenses, fairly good speed, a couple of boosting moves, and a perfect secondary STAB, this UFO ladybug renders Ledian completely obsolete in every foreseeable capacity. Not sure if this will be enough to raise Orbeetle to OU, but only the playtesters will know that for sure.

+Built around effective Stored Power synergy with 3 notable boosting moves in Calm Mind, Agility, and Iron Defense
+Has a Bug STAB that offers a counter to Dark types that block nearly every other Stored Power set (Hatterene being a notable exception with its Fairy STAB)
+60/110/120 defenses make it able to take a hit well, and it has access to Recover to keep it healthy
+90 Speed is surprisingly fast for a defensive Pokemon, giving it a distinct advantage over similar walls
+Access to a few nifty utility moves like Hypnosis and the coveted entry hazard move Sticky Thread which lowers the opponents speed on the switch

-Bug/Psychic is not ideal defensive typing taking super effective damage from Fire, Flying, Bug, Rock, Ghost, and Dark attacks
-Lacks a means to effectively damage Steel types without several boosts in tangent with Stored Power
-Easily shut down by fast Taunt users that block access to its stat boost moves, Recover, and Baton Pass.
-4 moveslot syndrome keeps every set from being completely fool-proof
-None of its abilities are particularly useful under most circumstances

Dynamax Potential:
Despite getting its own Gigantamax Form (And a cool looking UFO one at that!), Orbeetle is not the best user of the Dynamax feature. Too many of its moves are status based so Max Guard can only take you so far, although the temporary HP increase is certainly welcome after you have gotten in enough stat boosts. The Sp. Att. drop from the Bug-Max move is not that useful, Psychic-Max is nifty for temporarily boosting Psychic moves and preventing priority moves, and its signature G-Max Gravitas is more useful in doubles than singles (It has no low accuracy moves or ground attacks to make use of the increased gravity)

Sets:
Calm Mind + STAB's
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Bold
EV's: (HP 252) (Defense 252) (Sp. Def 4)
Calm Mind
Recover
Stored Power
Bug Buzz

Details:
Set up with Calm Mind to boost your special attack and special defense, use Recover accordingly to make sure you stay healthy at least long enough to get 2 boosts. With those two boosts Stored Power has a respectable base power of 100 before STAB. For every boost after that you get an extra 40 damage (100>140>180>etc) which is some serious damage not even accounting for the special attack boosts. The last move goes to either Bug Buzz or Baton Pass. Bug Buzz offers coveted coverage against other Psychic types that resist Stored Power but most notably hits Dark types for super effective coverage that would otherwise laugh at most other Stored Power sets. In terms of ability choice, seeing your opponents items with Frisk to read their strategy is the best option you have since you really don't want Orbeetle below 33% health for Swarm even if Bug Buzz gets boosted, and Telepathy is only really useful in doubles sets. Nature and EV's are pumped into HP and Defense since Calm Mind has you covered on the special defense side.

Calm Mind + Iron Defense
Nature: Bold
EV's: (HP 252) (Def 100) (Sp. Def 156)
Calm Mind
Iron Defense
Recover
Stored Power

Details:
Same set as above but with an added stat booster. Between the physical defense boost granted by Iron Defense and the special defense boost from Calm Mind, Orbeetle has the potential to become completely unbreakable without the likes of Toxic, phazing moves, or Perish Song. Heal damage as it come with Recover and decimate the opposition with boosted Stored Power. However this set's Achilles heel is that Dark types completely block it. Stored Power cannot bypass a Dark type's immunity which means you will either be forced to switch out or play a battle of attrition with PP and hope the opponent has low PP moves.

I am sure there are plenty of other sets you all can come up with, because Orbeetle is nothing if not versatile. This is my first go at creating one of these new competitive posts, so I hope I didn't screw up too badly...but after everything I've written, I'm sure I've at least convinced myself that Orbeetle is a worthy option in the competitive scene.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Baton Pass is still banned I believe, so that set isn't going to work.

You should definitely add a Webs set to the OP. Orbeetle is probably the best user of Sticky Web given that it isn't a suicide lead like Galvantula.

Totally recommend Body Press as a way to ensure Ttar can't switch in on you. Also gives a decent option for Ferrothorn.

Dual screens set might work as well. It's at least an option.

U-Turn should also be in the notable moves list imo.

Physical defensive can work of a Sticky Weeb setter, whit realiable recover and momentun.. is the best setter right now...
Body Press also check Excradrill..

love this bug sm. heres something i've been testing a bit

Orbeetle @ Leftovers/Coba Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- U-turn
- Recover
- Hypnosis/Body Press/Psychic

speed is for jolly taunt corviknight but can def be tweaked. change nature to bold if youre going psychic. a bulky webs setter with pivoting and sustainability is fantastic. hypnosis has been really cool in practice for shutting down hazard removal. body press or any attacking move really are nice for increased pressure but honestly i found myself just wanting to u-turn on ferro and drill switchins more than i did attack. best webs setter

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah not sure why you'd use the offensive sets for this thing. I mean you can, but you're also less bulkier than Reuniclus too and lack properties like Magic Guard to prevent Toxic from racking up damage. Think the set that tenkai listed is a lot better because it's one of the few Sticky Web setters that has recovery. Being kind of fast is a mixed bag, and one thing that's really bad for it is there's no way to really prevent Defog. Defiant mons still work as a small counteraction to this - just have to be careful since Bisharp doesn't want to switch into things like Body Press Corviknight. I'd use Boots just to keep it from being too worn out from entry hazards, but the items listed above are fine.

Also please remove the Baton Pass mentions - the move is currently illegal on the ladder.

Yeah not sure why you'd use the offensive sets for this thing. I mean you can, but you're also less bulkier than Reuniclus too and lack properties like Magic Guard to prevent Toxic from racking up damage. Think the set that tenkai listed is a lot better because it's one of the few Sticky Web setters that has recovery. Being kind of fast is a mixed bag, and one thing that's really bad for it is there's no way to really prevent Defog. Defiant mons still work as a small counteraction to this - just have to be careful since Bisharp doesn't want to switch into things like Body Press Corviknight. I'd use Boots just to keep it from being too worn out from entry hazards, but the items listed above are fine.

Also please remove the Baton Pass mentions - the move is currently illegal on the ladder.
UPDATED

Encountered a Weakness Policy set in game with Agility. It has a million weaknesses to get the boost off and the bulk to survive most hits. Being able to get +2 in Speed and offenses in one turn of set up can be quite scary, and it has everything it needs to sweep in terms of coverage.

Like all Weakness Policy sets, quite gimmicky of course.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
First Impression, Dream Eater, Leech life.

If Telepathy would protect it against the same moves in single battle and against stealth rock then we would get a master... Switcheroo with Frisk and Bug bite against berry and harvest users.

Powder?
It has Gravity? Did maybe Gravity changed? did someone test that out?

Matleo

Banned deucer.
does it have Magnet Rise? Trick Room? if it would get voltswitch, telekinesis, bounce, fly, teleport, Miracle Eye,
maybe it will get sucker punch or other priority move... Looks like Extreem Speed candidate.

Has quite nice stats, speeds out many... good against psychic types for sure, can handle dark types at least now.

Last edited:
does it have Magnet Rise? Trick Room? if it would get voltswitch, telekinesis, bounce, fly, teleport, Miracle Eye,
maybe it will get sucker punch or other priority move... Looks like Extreem Speed candidate.
Bro, just go onto Showdown or Serebii and check its movepool for yourself. Why do you keep spamming these threads with what is essentially wishlisting?

Last edited:

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Bro, just go onto Showdown or Serebii and check its movepool for yourself. Why do you keep spamming these threads with what is essentially wishlisting?
its first set makes it weak to any soundproof or throat chope user...

stored power is only good if it has got batton passed anything on it before send out on the field...

Calm Mind , Iron defense, Recover take time and without trapping the oponent make you realz vulnerable in return.
Dark types? with its defenses it can hold strong.

Stored Power still only with positive status changes? Didnt that changed? did someone checked negative ones too?

its first set makes it weak to any soundproof or throat chope user...
Then use of the other five members of the team to handle those Pokémon?

stored power is only good if it has got batton passed anything on it before send out on the field...

Calm Mind , Iron defense, Recover take time and without trapping the oponent make you realz vulnerable in return.
One: Baton Pass is banned. Two: Calm Mind + Stored Power is an actual thing.

Besides, you shouldn't start boosting against a clearly offensive Pokémon. That's just unnecessarily risky. If you manage to bring Orbeetle into a passive Pokémon, you can get a few CM boosts and inflict some good damage.

It's a strategy that works well when pulled off. Just look at Mega Latias from USUM OU, for an example.

Dark types? with its defenses it can hold strong.
There is no Soundproof Dark-type. You can reliably use Bug Buzz against them.

Stored Power still only with positive status changes? Didnt that changed? did someone checked negative ones too?
If you have some questions about potential changes in mechanics or mechanics in general, just ask here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sword-shield-battle-mechanics-research.3655528/

However, don't use these threads to talk about "What if?" scenarios. Just talk about the Pokémon with what they can actually use, not about what moves they could potentially or could not get in the future. That is just theorimoning and wishlisting, which leads nowhere.

you just found a new niche for new or old pokemon to get it.
I’m sorry but what in Samhain heck does that sentence even mean? I get not everyone is English first but... what did you even say? I mean it, like nothing you’ve said is of any value but... how do you create a niche for a soundproof dark type when one doesn’t exist?!

Reactions: Eve
I’m sorry but what in Samhain heck does that sentence even mean? I get not everyone is English first but... what did you even say? I mean it, like nothing you’ve said is of any value but... how do you create a niche for a soundproof dark type when one doesn’t exist?!
I think he means for us to call GF and say "oh golly, I've found a new niche! Make a Dark type with Soundproof!".

I was originally thinking about doing agility/iron defense + stored power, but actually looking at this set on paper iron defense+body press seems way more efficient for the same idea

So I guess showdown doesn't have body press working yet? Tried a few matches where Iron defense got me up to 3-4x Def but it wasn't making any difference to my damage output. Went into SwSh to test it in-game and it was working great, where one iron defense doubling my defense directly doubled my damage output.

Anyways, now that I've confirmed for myself that body press actually works, this is the set I want to play around with to see if it's any good:

Nature: Calm
EV's: (HP 248) (Def 8) (Sp. Def 252)
-Iron Defense
-Recover
-Stored Power
-Body Press

Idea is that iron defense makes up for the physical bulk, while also powering both stored power and body press. Body Press is the main attack, but getting off even a couple IDs means 100BP STAB. Body Press and Stored Power will hit everything good or neutral except psychic, which I'm fine with. Has a few pokemon that it's definitely gonna have trouble with, so gonna have to figure out who I want to pair it with while I'm playing around.

First time getting really back into competitive since XY, but at a glance I really like how this looks so gonna try this for a while.

Last edited:
Orbeetle @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- U-turn / Sticky Web
- Trick

Used this a little while ago. Bulky screens + webs support is probably the superior set, but I saw that this thing got Trick and I was really frustrated with the sub Hydreigons running around. This thing can switch in on subbing Hydreigons and KO or revenge a weakened one behind a sub with Bug Buzz. It outruns any base 85 scarfers and max speed Dragapults - which can be revenged if weakened.

Tricking walls (Ferro, Tox, GCor) or set up sweepers (mainly Corvignight) in a pinch was really cool. U-Turn can be used to pivot or Sticky Web depending on the support the team needs. In the one team I built using this mon, I paired it with Dracozolt (both Dracos flourish with webs up).

This mon is very good utility wise. I see it maybe even being UU. It can definitely be fit into OU teams too.

Orbeetle @ Leftovers / Binding Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Infestation
- Recover
- Protect
- Iron Defense

Annoying set to trap walls / anything that won't OHKO Orbeetle, set up on them and slowly kill everything with Infestation + Protect + Binding Band. With that item, it would deal 1/6HP every turn, 1/3 counting the turn wasted through protect.

Not sure about the EVs spread. Also could consider using Body Press over Protect for more damage.

Orbeetle @ Leftovers / Binding Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Infestation
- Recover
- Protect
- Iron Defense

Annoying set to trap walls / anything that won't OHKO Orbeetle, set up on them and slowly kill everything with Infestation + Protect + Binding Band. With that item, it would deal 1/6HP every turn, 1/3 counting the turn wasted through protect.

Not sure about the EVs spread. Also could consider using Body Press over Protect for more damage.
Interesting. With Toxic no longer being a widespread option, I'm surprised more people haven't been experimenting with the Binding Band more to compensate. Especially now that Fire Spin, Whirlpool, and Sand Tomb are TMs this generation. Can you imagine stacking these moves on a single Pokemon?
Steelix gets Bind and Sand Tomb
Octillery gets Wrap and Whirlpool and so does Milotic
Flygon gets Sand Tomb and Fire Spin
Galar Stunfisk get Snap Trap and Bind
Centiskorch gets Wrap and Fire Spin
Sandaconda gets Wrap and Sand Tomb
Grapploct gets Bind and Whirlpool
Even the mighty Shuckle gets Wrap, Infestation, AND Sand Tomb (On top of Toxic).
Normally I would think this as nothing but a gimmick, but considering Gamefreak gave Toxapex Infestation but suspiciously NOT Whirlpool makes me think this strategy may be more game-breaking than I first thought. We may need to test this...

Interesting. With Toxic no longer being a widespread option, I'm surprised more people haven't been experimenting with the Binding Band more to compensate. Especially now that Fire Spin, Whirlpool, and Sand Tomb are TMs this generation. Can you imagine stacking these moves on a single Pokemon?
Even the mighty Shuckle gets Wrap, Infestation, AND Sand Tomb (On top of Toxic).
Normally I would think this as nothing but a gimmick, but considering Gamefreak gave Toxapex Infestation but suspiciously NOT Whirlpool makes me think this strategy may be more game-breaking than I first thought. We may need to test this...
Exactly! I love binding moves; imagine a Gastrodon with Infestation, Recover, Yawn and Protect or whatever. Yikes.

Staying on topic, I find it hard to come up with a good EVs spread for binders like it because I never know who I might wanna set up on while resisting hits.
If anyone could suggest a good EVs spread for annoyer/trapper Orbeetle would be awesome.

Scratch that. Binding moves DO NOT stack. So much for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)