Oricorio (All Styles)

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
All these people whining that Oricorio doesn't work in their pet metagame. Gee? I wonder why Oricorio won't work in little cup triples?! Because it was created for VGC.

How about less whining and more sets?

Oricorio (Sensu Style[Ghost/Flying]) w/Focus Sash
Dancer
Modest
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Revelation Dance, Air Slash, Hidden Power (Ice/???), Protect

+

Ribombee w/Mental Herb
Shield Dust
Timid
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Quiver Dance, Pollen Puff, Moonblast, Protect

Ribombee has an almost guaranteed Quiver Dance, barring Priority Brave Bird or something. Assuming you can Dancer your partner, both your leads get a Quiver Dance AND THEN Oricorio gets to smack something with +1 Atk. If it gets brought to sash and needs healing, Ribombee is faster and can Pollen Puff to regain some HP. Or you can just go for it T2. Heck! You could even attack T2 AND get another Quiver Dance off first for two mini Xerneases!

I just picked Ghost forme to bypass Fake Out, but I'm starting to think that Fake Out won't see much use in VGC with all these anti-priority options anymore. Electric forme seems like the best typing to me. And if Dancer can activate after using Protect, that's probably the way to go.

Unsure on the hidden power because I'm unsure which form to go with. Ice is always my go to. But something else may fit the leads' weaknesses better or the metagame as it forms.

Last edited:
With the formes, has someone checked that for example, the fire forme can learn fire blast for example, and so on? They surely cannot be that bad...

I really don't get why people are saying this thing's movepool is terrible. It seems pretty solid to me: two powerful STAB attacks, Roost for healing (it has decent enough bulk to use that in lower tiers), Calm Mind to win, U-turn for choiced sets, Baton Pass to function as an offensive passer, Taunt for utility, Hidden Power for some coverage that it chooses. I mean, birdmons usually don't get much coverage besides Heat Wave. Really its movepool is quite good, I can see this functioning as anything from a revenge killer to a sweeper to a stallbreaker in the lower tiers.

If I could remake this I would min-max its stats a little more, give it maybe one or two coverage moves, and give it a moderately good ability so that it doesn't have to use the situational Dancer. Then maybe it would be a lot better.

The movepool is very disapointing. I wanted to see someone use three different ones with Quiver Dance in Triples for +3SpA, +3SpD and +3Spe

Y'all are annoying (lol) pretending to be disappointed this thing doesn't get Quiver Dance when it's not even remotely a butterfly or bee.

Also, how can you see an ability like Dancer and say this thing is gonna be "NU at best"? It's easily abusable; lots of things use Quiver and Dragon Dance, or Swords Dance

Is there any data in the data mine that suggests it can copy ally Dance moves? Really disappointing move pool for singles, but it honestly does not look too bad for VGC. Guaranteed stab, Tailwind, Helping Hand, Baton Pass, Taunt, U-turn. Guaranteed Hurricane if on a rain team isn't too shabby. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but it might be able to carve a niche in that format.

Although, realistically the stats are below average. Design wise it's probably my favorite Gen 7 mon so I'll definitely try experimenting with it at least.
This thing does not have the bulk or offensive presence to deal with the legendaries GF allows in VGC, I think.

But Oricorio is definitely gonna excel in Smogon Doubles.

Another unviable mon for the PU tier :[ I was expecting another level from this mon.
With the right ally it can Quiver Dance and attack in the same turn. Its attack stat is just workable enough that a mixed offense set could work and it could Swords Dance and attack in the same turn. What are u smokin

PS 98/98 with this thing's decent support moveset and one good stab/decent second STAB in Air Slash would make it viable in Gen 6 PU Singles; and probably viable in NU Singles, particularly depending on the Style (Pa'u Style maybe not lol)

BTW, is true that 3v3 is out of the game? it was my favorite format :C

I wonder if dancer activates while protecting,
Yeah. Triples and Rotation, the two best formats, are tragically gone, and the competitive scene is really gonna suck going forward without the most exciting and strategic format :((((

Also, now you got my attention!

I really don't get why people are saying this thing's movepool is terrible. It seems pretty solid to me: two powerful STAB attacks, Roost for healing (it has decent enough bulk to use that in lower tiers), Calm Mind to win, U-turn for choiced sets, Baton Pass to function as an offensive passer, Taunt for utility, Hidden Power for some coverage that it chooses. I mean, birdmons usually don't get much coverage besides Heat Wave. Really its movepool is quite good, I can see this functioning as anything from a revenge killer to a sweeper to a stallbreaker in the lower tiers.

If I could remake this I would min-max its stats a little more, give it maybe one or two coverage moves, and give it a moderately good ability so that it doesn't have to use the situational Dancer. Then maybe it would be a lot better.
How is Dancer "situational" when it creates an extremely abuseable strategy for Oricorio. It's an incredible ability.

Last edited:
Y'all are so annoying pretending to be disappointed this thing doesn't get Quiver Dance when it's not even remotely a butterfly or bee.

Also, how can you see an ability like Dancer and say this thing is gonna be "NU at best"? It's easily abusable; lots of things use Quiver and Dragon Dance, or Swords Dance

This thing does not have the bulk or offensive presence to deal with the legendaries GF allows in VGC, I think.

With the right ally it can Quiver Dance and attack in the same turn. Its attack stat is just workable enough that a mixed offense set could work and it could Swords Dance and attack in the same turn. What are u smokin

PS 98/98 with this thing's decent support moveset and one good stab/decent second STAB in Air Slash would make it viable in Gen 6 PU; and probably viable in NU, particularly depending on the Style (Pa'u Style maybe not lol)
NU and PU are singles tiers though. Dancer really isn't that exciting of an ability outside of doubles (even if it can be helpful in niche situations). Oricorio really doesn't have the stats or movepool to excel in any higher tiers.

I think the most promising set for Oricorio in whatever tier it ends up in is going to be Calm Mind or maybe Specs. The Ghost form looks the most appealing by far due to how spammable its Revelation Dance is; if any of the forms were to rise above PU, my bet would be on that one.

NU and PU are singles tiers though. Dancer really isn't that exciting of an ability outside of doubles (even if it can be helpful in niche situations). Oricorio really doesn't have the stats or movepool to excel in any higher tiers.

I think the most promising set for Oricorio in whatever tier it ends up in is going to be Calm Mind or maybe Specs. The Ghost form looks the most appealing by far due to how spammable its Revelation Dance is; if any of the forms were to rise above PU, my bet would be on that one.
That's true lol; I don't notice though because I play Doubles with the tier lists that I guess are for singles. It's Smogon's fault they don't keep up tiers below UU for doubles

Sensu style does have the best chance, since it's the most unique and least replacable (Pom Pom and Pa'u will probably be the least successful; Pom Pom might see use on monotype teams though because of its Ground immunity, or maybe not)

All these people whining that Oricorio doesn't work in their pet metagame. Gee? I wonder why Oricorio won't work in little cup triples?! Because it was created for VGC.
I don't think it's gonna be good in VGC, either. It has no bulk, it has okay SpA at best, it has a barely passing movepool. Its only gimmick is pairing it with a Quiver Dance user, but then you have 2x pokemon on the field that are weak to Rock Slide at the same time with no bulk, and you have the whole issue of actually using a boosting move in doubles. And even after you get the boost, you're not exactly destroying worlds, either.

When something is good in doubles, there's a good chance it's also good in singles, too, because much of what makes a pokemon good in both overlap: stats, movepool, typing, ability, etc. Oricorio doesn't have a lot of that, and for things that are good in doubles and bad in singles, like Hitmontop or Meowstic-M, it's really just not bringing anything of note to the table. It's really, really held back by it's stats, which is a common trend for this gen, it looks like (rip Lurantis ;_;)

I don't think it's gonna be good in VGC, either. It has no bulk, it has okay SpA at best, it has a barely passing movepool. Its only gimmick is pairing it with a Quiver Dance user, but then you have 2x pokemon on the field that are weak to Rock Slide at the same time with no bulk, and you have the whole issue of actually using a boosting move in doubles. And even after you get the boost, you're not exactly destroying worlds, either.

When something is good in doubles, there's a good chance it's also good in singles, too, because much of what makes a pokemon good in both overlap: stats, movepool, typing, ability, etc. Oricorio doesn't have a lot of that, and for things that are good in doubles and bad in singles, like Hitmontop or Meowstic-M, it's really just not bringing anything of note to the table. It's really, really held back by it's stats, which is a common trend for this gen, it looks like (rip Lurantis ;_;)
Yeah, Oricorio is definitely not cut out for VGC.

Like I said though, I really do think it's going to run the house in lower doubles tiers, though.

Bellossom and Lilligant get Quiver dance and they aren't weak to rock slide. Plus they both get petal dance to do massive damage to rock types.

I think these birds will be interesting its just finding the best combination of moves to get them going. Quash could work pretty well. You make the rock slider go last, and then they get hit by a double petal dance or double fiery dance. It also gets feather dance, which lowers everyones attack by 2, greatly reducing that rock slide's damage.

What I am saying is you need to think outside the box. Thats how Raichu won last year and Paraschu won the year before.

The movepool is very disapointing. I wanted to see someone use three different ones with Quiver Dance in Triples for +3SpA, +3SpD and +3Spe
I really wanted to try this thing on triples :c I really hope that showdown keeps a Triples SuMo metagame in other metagames <3.

how about a volcarona/Oricoro senzu/Lilligant setup? first turn if they run a rock slider you quash it with oricoro and lilligant shoots a petal dance while volcarona quiver dance, if not, both quiver dance and oricoro hits boosted a physical attacker it can outspeed, then proced to snowball...

Y'all are annoying (lol) pretending to be disappointed this thing doesn't get Quiver Dance when it's not even remotely a butterfly or bee.

The cover legends was a one time thing because they needed something to shake up the meta while there was no new main series game (and Jesus Christ did that backfire). The only normal legend I would really see hard countering it is Cresselia since there's no way it's breaking through its special bulk. Maybe Landorus-T since it can outspend and OHKO Oricorio, but so can a lot of other things and you'd probably already have a partner to deal with him. Ultra Beasts are apparently going to be legal this season, but like half of them die if a fire type even so much as breathes in their direction and Oricorio has a fire type variation. Although quad weakness to rock type is crippling.

Really though it's like you said. It just doesn't have the stats. And your team usually won't get the chance to set up Quiver or Dragon Dance with how common fake out and taunt are in VGC. Swords Dance is literally useless for it since it has all of, what, 3 physical attacks? One of which is U-turn so the boosts become pointless and the other two aren't even stab. Not to mention it's notably weaker than its Sp. Attack stat. I just don't understand what the heck Gamefreak was thinking when designing this bird. Only thing that comes to mind is that it was meant to be a support mon first and foremost and maybe fire off somewhat intimidating revelation dances since the partner was setting up while Oricorio was supporting them. But it's bulk doesn't even let it do that well. I don't know how much different Smogon doubles are from VGC so you could be write that it has a niche there I'm not aware of.

In singles though I agree with everyone else that the ability is just situational. If it had equal attacking stats you could possibly argue against it since Swords Dance is seen more in higher tiers so it can switch into a predicted SD and revenge with a scarfed attack if it had a better move pool on the physical side. Lower tiers it could be a great ability but I don't play them to be able to comment on them.

Guess it's time for me to start learning PU or something since this is one of my absolute favorite designs in Pokemon. Shame the competitive aspect of her didn't line up as well, lol.

The cover legends was a one time thing because they needed something to shake up the meta while there was no new main series game (and Jesus Christ did that backfire). The only normal legend I would really see hard countering it is Cresselia since there's no way it's breaking through its special bulk. Maybe Landorus-T since it can outspend and OHKO Oricorio, but so can a lot of other things and you'd probably already have a partner to deal with him. Ultra Beasts are apparently going to be legal this season, but like half of them die if a fire type even so much as breathes in their direction and Oricorio has a fire type variation. Although quad weakness to rock type is crippling.
True lol

Really though it's like you said. It just doesn't have the stats. And your team usually won't get the chance to set up Quiver or Dragon Dance with how common fake out and taunt are in VGC. Swords Dance is literally useless for it since it has all of, what, 3 physical attacks? One of which is U-turn so the boosts become pointless and the other two aren't even stab. Not to mention it's notably weaker than its Sp. Attack stat.
It learns Acrobatics is why I pointed Swords Dance out; in RU Doubles (which is the bare minimum tier this thing is gonna end up in; probably UU if not OU) Oricorio's attack stat is passable enough to run Acrobatics on a mixed set (with Revelation Dance being primary STAB obv) for increased versatility. Acrobatics probably won't become super standard (Oricorio has enough of a moveset it doesn't have to run the same four moves all the time) so there's an element of unpredictability there, too.

I just don't understand what the heck Gamefreak was thinking when designing this bird. Only thing that comes to mind is that it was meant to be a support mon first and foremost and maybe fire off somewhat intimidating revelation dances since the partner was setting up while Oricorio was supporting them.
Its stats/movepool are literally not even that bad lmao, people on Smogon just live in a hyper-OU mindset. ALSO GF designs for the actual games first and the metagame is second priority, as it should be.

But, you're right that competitively it's not a completely "optimized" pokemon. Which is fine. It's going to do its job.

I don't know how much different Smogon doubles are from VGC so you could be write that it has a niche there I'm not aware of.
What do you mean? VGC is one unbalanced fuckfest where it's just one tier so like 50 pokemon or so (if even that) get to be good and like the other 750 existing pokemon just get left out. So OP shit like Terrakion, Xerneas, etc gets to run the house and obviously Oricorio wouldn't have a chance against them. But in a UU or RU Doubles environment Oricorio's stats are both much more serviceable and there's less competition for a team slot from, like, Primal-Kyogre lol.

The whole point of Smogon rules is there's tiers so pokemon can be sorted at different levels of power, after all!

In singles though I agree with everyone else that the ability is just situational. If it had equal attacking stats you could possibly argue against it since Swords Dance is seen more in higher tiers so it can switch into a predicted SD and revenge with a scarfed attack if it had a better move pool on the physical side. Lower tiers it could be a great ability but I don't play them to be able to comment on them.
That's completely true. But also who really cares about singles when it comes to Oricorio lol? It's obviously going to be more fun and effective in doubles

There's more Quiver Dancers in lower tiers if it's relevant (I think NU has some like Butterfree and Vivillon, Mothim and the Wormadams are in PU), but Oricorio can't switch in super liberally because both carry Sleep Powder

Guess it's time for me to start learning PU or something since this is one of my absolute favorite designs in Pokemon. Shame the competitive aspect of her didn't line up as well, lol.
PU IS the best doubles and singles tier, you should!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)