DOU's Biggest Boomer
Welcome to Other Metagames! Here, you can submit an idea for a new metagame to a moderator and possibly get it approved to post here, and soon enough people will be playing it!
Art by andrew3391
Art by andrew3391
This is a bit more relaxed than the other battling forums, but we still have rules. Make sure to read them!
Rules and guidelines for posting a new metagame:
- Submission Guidelines
So you have this awesome idea for a new metagame to post. How can you determine if it's good?
- Ease of Access: can your metagame be played on the simulator, or can your metagame be implemented with a reasonable level of coding?
- Simplicity: while some metagames may have one major gimmick, metagames should strive to have an overall simple ruleset. Exceptions will be determined as needed. Is your metagame simple in its ruleset?
- Playability: Did you think about it before posting it? Does it sound fun? Nobody wants to play a metagame that isn't fun.
- Something to keep in mind: Any metagame with fewer than 50 legal Pokemon is classified as a Micro Metagame and should be posted in the Micro Metagames thread, and any metagame with custom changes to specific Pokemon/abilities/items/moves (such as Skillmons or "make every Pokemon OU worthy" metagames) classifies as a pet mod and should be posted in the Pet Mods subforum. All submission rules still apply to these metagames.
- 20 Post Minimum: You need 20 posts under your belt before you can submit a metagame. Use the time to get familiar with the sub-forum!
So you went through all of that and your metagame seems cool. How do you get it posted?
- First make sure it doesn't exist already! Browse the
Index to double check. If you see something similar, don't submit your idea UNLESS you're sure it's superior to the old one in every way. We see a lot of repeats however so don't be surprised if we still reject it.
- Write a detailed post about your proposed metagame and post a thread in the OM Submissions forum. This post should be an introduction to the meta and what the first post in your thread will be. We (Eevee General, The Immortal, Hollywood, Joim, unfixable ) will review it, ask you for reasoning or suggest changes if needed, and make a final ruling.
- Please be patient while we make our decision. Sometimes we can get back to you within 24 hours, other times we might take up to a week to reply. If at least one week has gone by without a response, you may bump the thread. You might also see us give you a 1/2 approval while we wait for more input from another member. Not every metagame needs 2 approvals, however. This is determined case-by-case.
- If your metagame is approved - AWESOME! You can now post it! When you go to make your thread, make sure to give it the Metagame tag and add "Approved by (moderator)" to the original post.
- Please read this post if you're even considering sending a mod a reminder message about your submission.
- The rules that apply in all other Smogon forums apply here. Be nice, don't insult other users, don't troll, etc.
- Don't bash a metagame. If you don't like it, you have two options. Either provide constructive criticism or don't post in it at all.
- Try to make your posts informative. You can be proposing a new strategy or answering a question, but one line of text won't cut it. The same thing goes for cool new sets you've thought up. It's great that you're sharing the set, but talk about it when you post it. Why should it see use? What makes it different from standard sets in regular metagames? How do those differences make the Pokemon stand out in this OM? Posts with just a set and nothing more add nothing to the thread.
- Before you submit your post, read it over. Does it add anything to the conversation? Does it entice discussion? If not, give people a reason to respond to you. If you're just posting to agree or disagree with something, explain why you feel that way.
- Do not bump dead threads or outdated metagames. If you'd like to reinstate a metagame from a past generation, please contact the original creator for permission and then submit it for approval.
- Don't spam.
- I said don't spam, you monster.
- Don't flame other users.
- There is a time to be intelligent and a time to be more casual. Don't waltz into chat talking about Batman when everybody else it talking about Balanced Hackmons.
- If someone has posted a metagame without getting it approved, don't post in the thread. Let a moderator handle it.
- If you would like to start a project thread (i.e. viability rankings, Next Best Thing, etc.) or a mini-tournament, wait until the metagame in question has gained a decent following. Once this has happened, feel free to PM a moderator about the thread you would like to start or post it in submissions.
Last edited by a moderator: