[OU] Balanced?

Intro
I'm Mendo. This is my first RMT on Smogon. Hopefully I don't screw it up and get it locked =]
I've been playing shoddy for about a year now off and on. I started out playing UnderUsed but moved up to OverUsed after I returned from my hiatus. I consider myself a Pokemon noob, but I've learned a LOT thanks to Shoddy Battle. This is a team I've been working on for ~2 months.

Goal
This team is designed to be balanced. The Pokemon can take hits while dealing a lot of damage due to their high stats or excellent coverage.
I got bored of playing offensive teams but I'm an aggro player at heart so I tried to compromise a bit and after considering some of my favorite Pokemon (Metagross and Dusknoir) and some crucial, standard Pokemon (Blissey -__-) this is what I came up with.

Feature Presentation

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Adamant / Clear Body
252 HP / 236 Attack / 8 Defense / 12 Speed
~Bullet Punch
~Earthquake
~Stealth Rock
~Explosion

My favorite Pokemon and one of the best leads, so I didn't waste too much time selecting him as my lead.
I usually start off with a Stealth Rock unless I expect the opposition to be sashed, or carrying a sleep move; in that case I launch a bullet punch.
Explosion is just amazing. I am a bit trigger happy with it, honestly, but that's because Metagross doesn't tend to help much late-game since Bullet Punch won't dent most of the walls that are still around and for some reason I end up against a lot of flyers/levitaters that EQ can't touch. So I pull the pin early on to kill stuff and give me a free switch.
Earthquake + Occa Berry almost always scores me kills VS Heatran and Infernape, and I'm skeptical of Meteor Mash's accuracy anyway.
He's got 12 Speed EVs rather than the suggested 8 to get the jump on other lead Metagross.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold / Pressure
252 HP / 220 Defense/ 36 Speed
~Discharge
~Heat Wave
~Roost
~Whirlwind

Zapdos can come in on anticipated Earthquakes that would wreck Metagross and start shuffling the team, or attacking with Heat Wave or Discharge which hurt a lot of leads badly. Roost is simply crucial.
Originally I had rotom-h but nothing with Whirlwind; so replacing it with an electric type with a levitate-esque advantage and Whirlwind was crucial. Bam. Zapdos. I'm open to suggestions here, though. I really love Rotom-H. Perhaps I could drop Dusknoir for something else than can Roar/Whirlwind? Hariyama has been one consideration.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Adamant / Poison Heal
44 HP / 252 Attack / 212 Speed
~Spore
~Substitute
~Seed Bomb
~Focus Punch

Definitely the sweeper of my team, Breloom can come on on something fairly slow such as Vaporeon and Spore/Sub/Wreck. This guy's my MVP.
However, his Speed and lack of coverage are a concern. Celebi, Zapdos, and Scizor scare him. (Actually, he OHKOs most Scizor with Focus Punch if he's got a sub up. Otherwise, X-Scissor is a OHKO.)
I love him but I'm open to suggestions. I've considered Machamp and Shaymin-s as a replacement. (I know Shaymin is UU but I like him. <3)

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid / Natural Cure
6 HP / 252 Speed / 252 Special Attack
~Hydro Pump
~Thunder Bolt
~Ice Beam
~Rapid Spin

My Spinner, she can also dish out a done of damage. Timid to outrun Gengar and such. Taking recoil damage from a Rapid Spin is kind of a downer but a Life Orb, Stab Hydro Pump will put a huge dent in whatever Rotom tries to switch in to block Spin.
Starmie, unfortunately, doesn't have the raw power to take down things like Celebi in one hit and is useless against Blissey. I've been considering using Tentacruel instead so that I can add Toxic Spikes and Knock Off to the team.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Impish / Pressure
252 HP / 252 Defense / 6 Special Defense
~Will o Wisp
~Pain Split
~Shadow Sneak
~Thunder Punch

I love Dusknoir. <3
Will o Wisp is crucial, Pain Split rules, Shadow Sneak can 'sneak' in the killing blow against things like Starmie and Gengar, and can do about 15% NVE damage which is sometimes enough. It's saved my bacon more than once, although one of the other elemental punches for coverage might help. I chose Ice Punch because Dragons are always a threat and Starmie is a bit brittle, so I wanted to have at least one Ice Move. Besides, Dusknoir tends to end up against Salamence's Outrage, which it can survive pretty easily and KO with IP.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold / Natural Cure
252 Defense / 80 Special Attack / 176 Special Defense
~Wish
~Protect
~Flamethrower
~Thunder Wave

Wish is great for keeping my team sturdy. Especially since they all have unreliable recovery (zapdos becomes vulnerable to predicted EQs, Pain Split is unreliable in general, etc)
Protecting against an Explosion is almost as fun as using Explosion. Flamethrower takes out Scizor (who can't OHKO) and can hurt Skarmory too. Thunder Wave is amazing against incoming Heatran, Gengar, Infernape, ETC.

The problem with this team seems to be that it's sometimes hard to break through. I don't really have any set-up sweepers, unfortunately. I just didn't think about it as I was creating the team.

Stat-uppers are also more than capable of killing Zapdos before it can Whirlwind. For example a Gyarados's DD'd Stone Edge just wrecks it.

Threat List

Tyranitar - Wrecks Blissey, Dusknoir, Starmie, and sometimes Zapdos.
Scizor - Swords Dance variants. I can switch into Zapdos to Heat Wave it and Blissey can Flamethrower in a pinch.
Snorlax - I have a lot of trouble Whirlwinding this guy out before he wrecks my team with a cursed return or something.

(I'll add more later, I just got kicked off teh computer :3 )

So, any advice would be hella appreciated.
I wanna be the very best and stuff so flame away.

Unless your keeping seed bomb for a particular poke I'd replace it with leech seed because loom's success come from it's subs and a NE focus punch is pert near a seed bomb

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ehh "Balanced teams" like yours don't work really work well at all, most balance these days is either Defensive or Bulky Offense, so as to have a chance against stall. Now what you've done here is throw in 3-4 components of a stall team (Bliss, Dusknoir although I think its a shit pokemon, Starmie and Zapdos) and just put in Breloom and a Suicide lead Metagross just for the fuck of it. It's not really a well thought out team at all, most stall teams will dominate you from the outset. Starmie can keep them at bay for awhile, but a combination of any or all of Sandstorm + Spikes + Toxic Spikes + Stealth Rock + Life Orb will mean you have a couple of switch ins at the most, and then the match turns into Blissey walling the fuck out of every pokemon except Gross (who I assume you Boom early, as is the point of a Suicide lead) and Breloom, who can be dealt with easily enough by Celebi. The scary thing is, all they have to do is to have something to take sleep such as Rotom, get two layers of Spikes up (although I'll give it to you, aside from Dusknoir your team isn't very easy to Spike against) and then just switch back and forward between Celebi and Blissey repeatedly and just wait for your team to slowly die.

Conversely, all out sweeper teams can hurt you too. You limit the damage they can do to you cause all your pokes have a status move or can hit them hard enough but you'll always be forced to play on the defensive. The biggest issue I have with your team is that you try and counter everything, without having any real strategy aside from "Lets throw this poke out and hope for the best".

I recommend going the full route of stall, as that is the way you've seemed to tilt towards. First of all, Breloom is completely unnecessary in a stall team, as is Metagross. Dusknoir is also a bad Choice as an anti-spinner, so I suggest Rotom over it. What I really like about Rotom is Levitate, meaning it can switch in and block Rapid Spin against other stall teams really well. It also covers similar things to Zapdos which is really good, as any good stall team needs pokemon to overlap. People are tending to use two similar offensive pokemon in the same team this days on the principal that the other team will pack one counter to them both, meaning that one can sacrifice itself to open up the sweep for the other. Rotom helps prevent against that really well, and can be the status absorber you are sorely missing. Ok now you're decently well off against SD Lucario, although DDmence can set up on your newfound Rotom now. For the last two slots I suggest either Swampert/Forry or Swampert/Skarmory, depending on whether you want Toxic Spikes too or just Spikes. Swampert is a great lead, essentially doing what Meta did for you by setting up Stealth Rock whilst providing a rock resist and giving you a good switch in to all Salamence variants. If you run Forretress, you have the advantage of having two Spinners, which can be handy vs other stall, and can smack other anti spinners hard with Payback (removing the need for Life Orb on your Starmie and freeing up a slot for Recover), where as Skarmory has auto recovery and better typing for walling. It's up to your personal preference really. Alternatively, if you run Forry you could even run a Vaporeon in your team over Starmie, gives you a good Gyarados counter as well as Wish support to benefit Forry and Swampert.

Yeah this was a long rant but in short I recommend

Rotom H > Dusknoir
Swampert > Metagross
Forry/Skarm > Breloom
(If running Forry) Vaporeon > Starmie.

Hope I helped and gl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)