Project OU Next Best Thing - Cycle Last: Mega Latias (Voting)

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion

The voting is over! By its results, the winner of the Cycle 6 is CM+Soak by Finchinator. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. And now I'm starting the...

Cycle Seven - Tapu Koko

The Cycle 7 continues the theme of Guardian Deities and subjects Tapu Koko. This Pokemon enjoyed a rise in usage after Zygarde's ban due to Tangrowth falling off from grace and being used rarer. Tapu Koko is a dangerous wallbreaker with an impressively powerful Electric-type STABs thanks to the terrain as well as a good offensive pivot because of its access to Volt Switch and U-turn. Tapu Koko also can fill some other niches such as a Screens setter for HOs and a Defogger for more standard offenses. Tapu Koko's movepool is fairly wide and lets it run many sets. Show some hot ones here guys!

Banned Sets
no icons of items cuz i made the post from mobile

The deadline is Tuesday 25th of June. Good luck!​

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam

If your team is very solid against Torn-T otherwise, which seldom happens, but it does occur occasionally, then Specs HP Fire Koko is a really cool set to use. Exca sand usage is obscene right now compared to past metagames and Ferrothorn Spikes balances are good as fuck like they've always been, so being able to lure and nail both of these Pokemon with HP Fire is absurdly useful for a slew of teams and can really work to help teammates like CM Fairium Gear perform their roles even more effectively.

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe (customizable with nature)
Hasty / Lonely Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Fire] / [Ice] / Nature’s Madness / Grass Knot / Defog
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Scarf Koko is one of those mons who you see in a match, get surprised by and move on. But as I was looking at sets for this, I found the mon incredibly diverse. It is capable of revenge-killing a myriad of threats (M-Zam, M-Lop, Ash-Gren, +1 Volc, Scarf Gren, all variants of Kart, etc.), making it a fantastic beast against offense while the maintaining its pivoting ability. I do still consider three moves on the set mandatory. Wild Charge is your STAB and you’ll need it despite the recoil to make up for the power loss. Koko’s higher Attack also makes it nicer for cleaning. U-turn keeps momentum for your team, and can be deadly if you haven’t revealed Scarf or have Spikes on the field. Brave Bird mainly slaps Volcarona, bringing both variants into a range where they can be KO’ed with priority. The free slot is very diverse, so I’ll cover the options I like. HP Fire snipes all Kartanas which is amazing now that BB Kart’s a thing, while HP Ice catches your usual Koko switchins like Lando, Chomp and Glisc with annoying chip. NM is a cool play that doesn’t hit the previously mentioned Grounds as hard but makes up for it by being able to annoy Gastrodon, Excadrill and Hippowdon. It can also bring stuff into priority range again. Grass Knot firmly Gastrodon and Mega Swampert in rain, which you outspeed. Lastly, Defog is an emergency hazard check for something like your Volc, as this is the fastest Defogger in the tier. Overall, a very unique and underexplored set which I hope sees use in the future.

Last edited:
CM Koko

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 32 HP / 196 SpA / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

CM Tapu Koko hits things hard with T-bolt under electric terrain, and a boosted HP Ice is certainly threatening to Ground Types who dare switch in on it. Shuca Berry allows Koko to set up a CM in ground types' faces, given they aren't scarfed. 32 EVs in HP ensures Koko survives Water Shuriken from Gren, and 28 SpDef EVs lets Koko switch in on Fini and set up/roost away damage from moonblast.

Last edited:
Work Up, Electric Seed Koko

Tapu Koko @ Electric Seed
EVs: 88 HP / 24 Atk / 180 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Acrobatics
- Wild Charge
- Work Up

Well isn't this something. This Tapu Koko acts in mysterious ways. Allow me to explain.

The EVs combined with the +1 defense boost of Electric Seed allow Tapu Koko to tank everything up to a Jolly 252 invested Lando-T Earthquake after rocks. Allowing you to fire a hit off in return to severely weaken those pesky Lando-Ts and Garchomps running around. The Speed investment hits 385 to outspeed everything up to Weaville. The rest is placed into Attack, which helps Koko to go wild with a Work Up boost.

Work Up is the key to this set, which will generally always get a chance to set up at some point. Acrobatics is an interesting tech to utilise with electric seed, giving the move a significant boost without the drawback of recoil like Brave Bird. Wild Charge allows Koko to hit things which its acrobatic counterpart Hawlucha cannot (Zapdos is a bit one). HP Ice is a given to weaken Koko's biggest problems. Be warned though, HP Ice doesn't ohko these pokemon, just weakens them for teammates

This set acts as a semi lure, and believe when I say that nobody knows what to expect when they see the Electric Seed.

Here are some calcs

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. +1 84 HP / 180 Def Tapu Koko: 222-264 (73.5 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. +1 84 HP / 180 Def Tapu Koko: 206-246 (68.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Earthquake vs. +1 84 HP / 180 Def Tapu Koko: 254-300 (84.1 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. +1 84 HP / 180 Def Tapu Koko: 230-272 (76.1 - 90%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 28 Atk Tapu Koko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth: 226-266 (56 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 28 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex in Electric Terrain: 350-414 (115.1 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 28 Atk Tapu Koko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 244-288 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 28 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Rotom-Wash in Electric Terrain: 180-213 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 28 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna in Electric Terrain: 298-352 (99 - 116.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 28 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran in Electric Terrain: 318-375 (98.4 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Thunder + Brave Bird (for rain)

Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Brave Bird
- Work Up

Basically, hit work up as your opponent switches into a grass type, then ssss to kill it and win with pert/gren. I had originally planned on using u turn over work up, but koko is too weak to kill most anything unboosted unless I obliderate his sp.atk evs. A +1 brave bird will kill off basically any grass mon without rocks, bar ferro and phys.def tang, who only needs a little chip. Kommo-o is also a notable target, especially the annoying sp.def variants. Speaking of chip, a +1 thunder comes just short of killing so many neutral targets like mew, clefable, and jirachi, so some chip damage or spikes from greninja could be useful there. At +1, hp ice has a good chance to get rid of gliscor and defensive lando without rocks.

Unfortunately, because koko gets CM your opponent will be able to tell that you're running some sort of physical move, of which koko only gets 3 useful ones. There's no reason to run iron head and thunder reveals that you're not z-wild charge, and brave bird makes the most sense on rain anyway. But who knows, people do stupid things and even without the luring aspect this set works fine as a sweeper.

Last edited:
tapukoko.png

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Wild Charge
- Toxic
- Nature's Madness
- U-turn

This is a set I used to run back when Zygarde was still in OU and players were running more than one Ground type as well as bulky grass types such as Bulu and Tangrowth. Toxic is preferred over HP Ice since although Koko tends to lure in Grass and Ground types, it lacks the Power of the Specs set and won't do much to anything that isn't 4X weak to it. Toxic lets it cripple its common switch ins and it can use U-turn to switch out to an appropriate counter.

Nature's Madness is a great move on Koko since it tends to force out many switches and it can take away up to 50% from any Poke that's at full health. It is also this set's best answer to Bulky Steel types such as Forro and Assault Vest Excadrill who are immune to toxic.

Together, these two moves help it wear down common counters/checks for it and it's team mates allowing for it's partners to set up and sweep.

As far as the rest of the move set goes, for the most part this set seems to play vary similarly to the Z Wild Charge set in that it relies on prediction and reads to KO opponents with Gigavolt Havoc but this set makes prediction easier since it relies less on super effective coverage. Nature's madness will always deal decent damage to opponents at full health wether they switch out or not and toxic will always poison the opponent as long as it's not immune to it. This set also has a slight defensive advantage over the usual Z Wild Charge set since the lack of a special move means it can run Jolly nature over Naive allowing it to take Special Attacks such as Timid Mega Alakazam's Psychic at full heath.

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Z-Mirror Move

tapukoko.gif

Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Wild Charge
- Mirror Move
- Return

The main goal for this set is to lure would-be checks such as Mega Venusaur and Tangrowth and surprising them with a +2 Brave Bird, while retaining a devastatingly strong Wild Charge to hit a large portion of the tier with. For those who don't know, Z-Mirror Move transforms the target's last used move into a Z-Move, which is then used by Tapu Koko, and gives it a +2 boost to its Attack. This can be used to fire off a relatively strong attack on unsuspecting Pokémon to revenge kill them - for example, a Mega Charizard X's Dragon Claw would become Tapu Koko's own Devastating Drake and OHKO in return. It then proceeds to wreak havoc with its coverage moves. Return is mostly filler on this set due to Koko's sparse physical movepool - Roost or Taunt can also be opted for if it's preferred.

This set's niche lies in its ability to act as a lure, and as such I've found that teammates that share Koko's standard checks are very appreciative of its ability to take them down. Ash-Greninja really likes Tangrowth, AV Mag and Chansey being severely weakened by this set, if not outright KO'd. Psychic types tend to like this too, so Mega Zam and Lele are good partners too. I find this set really fun to use, even if it's a little bit difficult/inconsistent.​

Last edited:
Choice Band

Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Wild Charge / Thunder Punch
-Brave Bird
-U-Turn
-Hidden Power Ice

This set functions similarly to physical Electrium Z but allows a teammate to use the Z crystal instead. Wild Charge hits incredibly hard while Thunder Punch is a weaker option that avoids recoil. Brave Bird takes out fat Grass-types and Gastrodon, while U-Turn is to pivot. HP Ice is used in the last slot because it 2HKOs Gliscor, Garchomp, and Lando-T after rocks despite being Jolly.

If Wild Charge is used, pair this with a Spike user like Ferrothorn or Greninja to turn 2HKOs into OHKOs. If hazard support is not as important then Thunder Punch achieves the same 2HKOs as Wild Charge but avoids recoil damage.

Tapunium Z Nature's Madness

Tapu Koko @ Tapunium Z
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Nature's Madness
- Brave Bird
- U-turn/Roost

Here we have a physical Tapu Koko with Electric/Flying coverage + U-turn support.
The key of the set is Nature's Madness with Tapunium Z in order to weaken a supposed counter (such as a Ground type like Gastrodon) to the point it is much more manageable.
Nature's Madness is a special move that doesn't require any EVs investment to work and it reduces the recoil when we have to finish the opponent with Wild Charge or Brave Bird.
Unluckily, you have to choose between momentum (U-turn) and longevity (Roost).

252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 94-111 (26.7 - 31.5%) -- 20.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (this is a KO after a Z-boosted Nature's Madness)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Gastrodon: 163-192 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (the same)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Amoonguss: 298-352 (69.1 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (the same)

Last edited:

Game Moderator

Banned deucer.
Although OU is not my main tier, Tapu Koko is one of my favorite Pokémon, I've even tried peaking with it in another tier with a fair amount of success and with OU being its main tier, I thought I'd contribute a set.

Shocking Charlotte (Tapu Koko) @ Terrain Extender / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

- Hidden Power [Ice] / Dazzling Gleam / Thunderbolt
- U-turn / Volt Switch

To be frank, this is sort of a support set, in my tier, we pair it with stuff like Zekrom and Arceus-Electric so Terrain Extender helps its teammates hit harder. I have close to no clue what the Electric-type attackers in OU are like, but hopefully you get the concept. If not for extender, I suppose one could always go for Shuca Berry as an emergency Landorus check. I originally picked Hidden Power [Ice] over the other attacks but I added in options depending on your team.

0- SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 180-216 (47.1 - 56.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 204-240 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

The scenario I usually face with this set is like this, (converted to OU) Nature's Madness on the switch in chopping their HP in half, then 50/50 with Hidden Power [Ice] (killing it immediately) and U-turn / Volt Switch (switching out predicting it might switch out). I guess if it's something with Recovery you Taunt, basically.

Last edited:

Wildcat Formation

flexibly adaptable to the situation
is a Tiering Contributor
Discharge Pivot

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z / Shuca Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Might be cheating since it's pretty much the same Koko pivot set, but instead of Thunderbolt, it is running the far superior move in Discharge. Can't think of any crucial KOs missed from dropping T-Bolt outside of always OHKOing offensive Heatran with Z-T-Bolt, but the advantage of Discharge over Thunderbolt is obviously the spicy paralysis chance. Para that Tangrowth or Ferrothorn so your Battle Bond Greninja can flinch it down later. Embrace the cheese, paralyze everything, and win the game.

Fairium Z Nature's Madness

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Nature's Madness
- Brave Bird
- U-turn/Roost

Here we have a physical Tapu Koko with Electric/Flying coverage + U-turn support.
The key of the set is Nature's Madness with Fairium Z in order to weaken a supposed counter (such as a Ground type like Gastrodon) to the point it is much more manageable.
Nature's Madness is a special move that doesn't require any EVs investment to work and it reduces the recoil when we have to finish the opponent with Wild Charge or Brave Bird.
Unlickily, you have to choose between momentum (U-turn) and longevity (Roost).

252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 94-111 (26.7 - 31.5%) -- 20.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (this is a KO after a Z-boosted Nature's Madness)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Gastrodon: 163-192 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (the same)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Amoonguss: 298-352 (69.1 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (the same)
Shouldn’t the item be tapunium z? Fairium z + nature’s madness just gives you a 100 bp special twinkle tackle. For the 75% damage one you need tapunium z.

Calm Mind + Brave Bird Tapu Koko when u found out someone else reserved calm mind but only typed cm and u only CRTL+F search "calm mind"

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z / Leftovers / Magnet
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty / Naive Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Brave Bird

This is a(n) (un)set from long ago (here), and it's actually a pretty nice lure to Grass-types barring Ferrothorn. In the replay, this set was run in a rain team, so Thunder was used, but on weatherless teams, you can just use Thunderbolt. Run Naive if you want it to soft-check Hawlucha & MPinsir, and Hasty if you're scared of Water Shuriken. Magnet can be used if Z-Move slot on the team has been used up, and Leftovers allow Koko to slightly better check Tornadus-T. Hazard stack is nice to wear down checks and stuff, and you can use this on rain like the replay if you want. One huge disadvantage is the crazy amounts of recoil you take, so you could potentially change HP Ice to Roost, but that worsens mu against Ground-types and makes it harder to break through Ferrothorn.

4 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 130-154 (35.8 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Amoonguss: 242-286 (56.1 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
4 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth: 160-190 (39.7 - 47.1%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Bulu: 172-204 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

:fukyu:24 hours but I changed it to an even more heat (and team specific) set

Last edited:

spatula

I LOVE CHIPFLAVOUR
is a Tiering Contributor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)