Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Psychic
- Focus Blast / Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball / Nasty Plot

Alakazam's tendency to force a switch response means that it can easily get up a Substitute. Behind a Substitute, checks like Rillaboom, Zeraora and Bisharp become incredibly shaky as they can no longer KO Alakazam without taking upwards of 80% themselves. Alakazam can also use the Sub to get a free NP more safely depending of the matchup.

Last edited:

Amir

Banned deucer.
Knock Off Alakazam Trick Sticky Barb Alakazam

Alakazam @ Life Orb Sticky Barb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off Trick
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam / Focus Blast​

INTRODUCTION:
Alakazam is a very underrated setup sweeper, Gen 8 introduced it to a metagame where it can work but unfortunately people kinda forgot how Zam was used outside of the standard Mega Zam sets in the past 2 generations. It recieved a huge buff with access to Nasty Plot which allows it to possibly 1v1 its counters due to the additional power output. While it recieved a buff it got nerfed due to the item Heavy Duty Boots, giving pokemon like Mandibuzz, Blissey, etc. access to a semi Magic Guard abilty. So that's briefly why I am leaning towards Knock Off as my move of choice. Also I am expecting Alakazam to finally be incredible in this metagame if Magearna gets banned removing one of the main counters to it in the game.
Edit: Changing Knock Off to Trick, similar idea as descripted above but instead of knocking off the item from the opponent you can trick a Sticky Barb which allows you to obtain passive damage vs bulky steels and fat blobs bar MG Clef.

SET DETAILS:
The idea behind this set is well to first lure in pokemon that can beat Zam in a 1v1 situation such as HDB Mandibuzz, Chansey, Blissey, Ferrothorn, Clefable, Corviknight, Slowbro, etc.
Once the TRICK has made been established you preserve your Zam, try to setup as many hazards as you can while maintaining offensive pressure, once Zam comes in it grabs kills with a +2 hit.
Do notice Knock Off is not only for Zam's benefits but it also helps teammates net those 2HKOs from lack of Eviolite, HDB or lefties.
Edit: Tricking the Sticky Barb can come in very useful vs Corviknight forcing it to roost even faster than usual, same applies to the bulky blobs.

Last edited:
Teleport

Alakazam @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Teleport
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Alakazam forces a lot of switches and Teleport lets you capitalize on them. Pair this thing with slow breakers (since Alakazam checks are quite slow) and you can really annoy balance teams with this set. Just be careful clicking Teleport around physical attackers though.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Knock Off Alakazam

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam / Focus Blast​

INTRODUCTION:
Alakazam is a very underrated setup sweeper, Gen 8 introduced it to a metagame where it can work but unfortunately people kinda forgot how Zam was used outside of the standard Mega Zam sets in the past 2 generations. It recieved a huge buff with access to Nasty Plot which allows it to possibly 1v1 its counters due to the additional power output. While it recieved a buff it got nerfed due to the item Heavy Duty Boots, giving pokemon like Mandibuzz, Blissey, etc. access to a semi Magic Guard abilty. So that's briefly why I am leaning towards Knock Off as my move of choice. Also I am expecting Alakazam to finally be incredible in this metagame if Magearna gets banned removing one of the main counters to it in the game.

SET DETAILS:
The idea behind this set is well to first lure in pokemon that can beat Zam in a 1v1 situation such as HDB Mandibuzz, Chansey, Blissey, Ferrothorn, Clefable, Corviknight, Slowbro, etc.
Once the knock off has made contact you preserve your Zam, try to setup as many hazards as you can while maintaining offensive pressure, once Zam comes in it grabs kills with a +2 hit.
Do notice Knock Off is not only for Zam's benefits but it also helps teammates net those 2HKOs from lack of Eviolite, HDB or lefties.

Knock off is spammable af in this generation. Thank you.
I'm sorry but this set is too similar to the banned Life Orb set, as there are only some minimal differences in move slashes and EV spread. Unless you submit a new set or alter this one to make it more unique, it will not be included in the vote.

1596297995849.png

Choice Scarf+ Trick Alakazam

Alakazam @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Trick​
Alakazam hits hard and is fast but not fast enough to outspeed Dragapult, Zeraora, Boosted Volcarona/Hydreigon, and a few others. With Choice Scarf. He can outspeed the entire unboosted tier as well as a few +1 mons. Keep in mind Priority users still exist so you should still be smart in playing.
Trick is another good option for it cause it can punish setup mons that would otherwise sweep your team.
I pick Modest nature so that you can hit hard and be fast with Scarf. But once Scarf is been swapped. You're now outspeed by a small mons that you would normally outspeed with Timid

Sub-CM Stored Power Shazam
:bw/alakazam:
Alakazam @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Recover / Focus Blast

This set takes advantage of Alakazam's decent special bulk to set up on special attackers and walls. The key difference between this set and other sub-cm users is that this one isn't very good this one is bloody fast. The other key difference is that Alakazam is the physically defensive equivalent of a wet paper bag, so take Isai's advice and don't get hit (on that side at least). The given EVs hit 301HP so you can at the least get 4 turns out against a Chansey or Blissey, 5 if they switch in on a CM. Max speed to outspeed as much as possible, including jolly Cinderace. The rest is then put into SpA to hit as hard as possible.

Recover or T Wave both work depending on your preference. T Wave gives you some nice utility as the yellow magic never hurt anybody, whereas Recover allows you to stall out certain mons and get to +3 or so more reliably. +3 is the point where you potentially 2HKO Chansey, and guaranteed 2HKO Blissey, so it's an important benchmark to hit. Toxic serves one purpose, it means you aren't walled by Dark Types, though Focus Blast also lets you deal with most steel types. Toxic is great for the abundance of Mandibuzz in the tier, and is my preferred option out of the two. Focus Blast on the other hand lets you tackle things like Ferrothorn much better.

EDIT: I can say that after testing, Toxic is my preferred 4th slot and has been adjusted accordingly in the set.

+3 56 SpA Alakazam Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Blissey: 376-444 (53.6 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 56 SpA Alakazam Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 322-381 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO
+3 56 SpA Alakazam Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 165-195 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
:ss/alakazam:
Alakazam @ Light Clay
EVs: 92 HP / 12 Def / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic / Dazzling Gleam
- Teleport

light screen + reflect alakazam supports the team with giving it more bulk during the game and alakazam has enough speed to get off both screens during the game. psychic is its stab option, but you can also go for dazzling gleam to hit hydreigon, urshifu (dark/fight) and crawdaunt. teleport offers utility with gaining momentum and bring in another teammate safely.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMx

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader

Alright, now it's time to vote!
There are 11 submissions:

:choice scarf: Choice Scarf + 4 Attacks by ImperialGamer517
:focus sash: Psych Up by RottenInfernape
:life orb: Encore + Expanding Force by abd1710
:choice specs: Choice Specs by Blui
:life orb: Psychic Terrain + Expanding Force by nameless90
:life orb: Substitute by escarlata
:sticky barb: Trick Sticky Barb by Amir
:life orb: Teleport by Sagisolar
:choice scarf: Choice Scarf + Trick by JustHulio
:leftovers: SubCM Stored Power by ReadTheMango
:light clay: Dual Screens by Katy

Proftreez, your submission wasn't included because you did not fill out your reservation in time.

The deadline is Friday 7th of August.​

Trick Barb is cool and I was hoping to see something like it. I also really liked Teleport and Psych Up.

That being said, I like Trick Scarf for screwing over walls even moreso, alongside the sick speed control it provides, hence it gets my vote.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion

Time to finish the voting! By its results, the winner of the Cycle 26 is Teleport by Sagisolar . Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. And we're moving towards the next Cycle!

Cycle Twenty Seven - Azumarill
:ss/azumarill:

Yet another DLC newcomer, Azumarill, while seeming unimpressive at the first glance, is blessed by a Huge Power ability, turning it into a physically offensive powerhouse. Access to a nice STAB combination, a priority in Aqua Jet, and good coverage like Knock Off and Superpower further enhances Azumarill's offensive prowess. While Azumarill is typically seen running a Belly Drum set, it definitely does have what it takes for being able to run more cool sets. You guys are to show such sets there!

Banned Sets
:sitrus berry:

The deadline is Wednesday 12th of August. Good luck!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
life orb + rain dance

:azumarill:
Azumarill @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet / Knock Off
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Rain Dance

Rain Dance Azumarill is meant to break mid-late-game with a boosted Liquidation in the rain and a boosted Aqua Jet. If you want to Knock mons off like Toxapex and Ferrothorn you can replace Jet for Knock Off. Play Rough is the secondary STAB and gives Azumarill a way to hit Hydreigon, Urshifu (both versions) and crawdaunt. Play Rough also hits Rillaboom in case it'll switch in to check Azumarill.

Last edited:
AV Pivot

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 36 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Liquidation
- Knock Off

Full credit to Kav who came up with the EV spread and the explanation, which I'm going to quote in part below.

AV Azumarill is a solid pivot that benefits from recent metagame shifts and bans. The elimination of Magearna and Cinderace is greatly appreciated as both could do massive damage to AV Azumarill (even on the switch) with the appropriate move. With an Assault Vest and substantial defensive investment, AV Azumarill can handily counter powerful threats such as Hydreigon, Volcarona, and Alakazam, all of which are more common due to the Cinderace and Magearna bans. Notably, AV Azumarill is able to beat these threats even when they're boosted, which is something that the standard Azumarill cannot do. In addition, AV Azumarill serves as a solid check to Urshifu, although it should not be the primary answer, especially without Wish support.

EV Spread details: "Due to the potency of Urshifu, I think a mixed defensive spread is basically necessary for AV azumarill. I'd recommend a minimum of 252 HP, 36 Def, and 44 Spd in order to meet the same SpDef benchmark while also being table to tank two Wicked Blows and a +1 dragapult phantom force. The remaining EVs are really whatever your team needs from there. I used 160 Adamant since it allows azumarill to kill volcarona in the sun with liquidation+Aqua jet, as well as break primarinas sub while burned. Then i dumped the rest in spdef for rolls. I'm using it as a glue for a sun team so that first calc was important (as well as to help deal with some other things like lucha or talonflame). Without a damage booster, azumarill isnt that threatening even at max attack. so i think its better to just invest for something specific and call it a day."-Kav

Last edited:
Choice Band + Scald

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Play Rough
-Aqua Jet
-Knock Off
-Scald

I know, I know, it looks stupid. And that’s the great part- it is.

This set forgoes Liquidation and uses Scald instead in an attempt to fish for burns on switchins such as Slowbro, Pex, Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Rillaboom, etc. Over the course of the battle it makes them much easier to deal with, especially if Azu is paired with Hex Dragapult.

Revealing Scald does two things. 1: It confuses the hell out of your opponent. 2: Your opponent assumes you opted to use Whirlpool Sap Sipper and doesn’t think you’re banded. Either way, they’re at a disadvantage. Good shit.

Last edited:
Sap Sipper Azumarill
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Rest
- Protect

Sap Sipper Azumarill works as a lure and check to Grass-types like Rillaboom, proceeding to trap it with Whirlpool and eliminate them with Perish Song. Rest is Azumarill's only form of reliable recovery, making sure it doesn't get blown away by powerful attacks. Protect lets you stall out Perish Song turns, scout for moves, and gain Leftovers recovery. It's also a great switch-in to Ferrothorn, as you're immune to Power Whip/Leech Seed and trapping something in the process. It's also a decent check to Kommo-o, Volcarona, and Alolan Marowak, since Poltergeist will only do 58.6 - 69%, making them vulnerable to trapping.

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 237-279 (58.6 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Rillaboom Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 107-126 (26.4 - 31.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Rillaboom High Horsepower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 92-109 (22.7 - 26.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 70-83 (17.3 - 20.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 51-60 (12.6 - 14.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Ferrothorn Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 28-33 (6.9 - 8.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 40-47 (9.9 - 11.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
188+ Def Kommo-o Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 55-66 (13.6 - 16.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Azumarill: 65-77 (16 - 19%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 182-215 (45 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Whitney's Azumarill

Azumarill @ Metronome
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Defense Curl
- Rollout

- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off​

Summary: Rollout in my opinion is a very underrated move. If not checked it can lead to devastating results and can hurt your team pretty badly. Owing to it's really high attack stat of 436 Azumarill can dent almost the entire metagame using just rollout and can easily pickup KOs after just 2-3 turns as rollout becomes insanely powerful and caps off at a 480 base power on it's last turn. Defense curl is also a great move on this set as it not only helps Azumarill tank hits better but also doubles rollout's base power and makes it a 960 base power move on the last turn. Aqua jet is a standard STAB move which becomes pretty spammable thanks to metronome. Whereas knock off provides coverage against the Pokemon which can check both of it's other moves. Metronome is not very useful for rollout as it doesn't provide a 20% boost when the user is locked into rollout and can be substituted for muscle band/life orb for immediate power, however as mentioned above it helps aqua jet and makes it a highly dangerous priority move.

Anti Standard-Sun Azumarill

:bw/azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 20 SpA / 244 SpD
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Scald / Whirlpool
- Draining Kiss / Substitute

Have you noticed the amount of Sun teams in the game at the moment? Well then, a specially defensive water mon with Thicc Fat might fit the bill.

The main purpose of the set is to switch in to a strong fire move comfortably and either Toxic / Knock Off said mon, or cripple a switch. Thick Fat is chosen over Sap Sipper as you already don't stand a chance against Venusaur, the main grass type abuser of sun, so dealing with the empowered fire moves better is more important to the set. Being 4x resistant to fire is a not very common thing in a specially defensive tank. In non-sun matchups, this Azumarill can make use of its solid defensive type to take on various other special attackers which it is resistant to. Of course, if you prefer being able to deal with grass types, then Sap Sipper is a good option.

With regards to move options, Toxic and Knock Off are pretty crucial for crippling switch-ins, and are therefore standard on this set. Scald is your best water type move option for the same reasons anybody runs scald, its decently powerful, and the burn chance is really good. Whirlpool is a second option to annoy non-pivot walls, but has less utility. Draining Kiss is the better option for 4th move slot into general special attackers, the best of which are dragon types (Hydreigon and Dragapult in particular), with the given investment, Draining Kiss 2HKOs Hydreigon, for example. On the other hand, Substitute is an interesting option which gives you better options against Blissey and Chansey, as you have 101HP substitutes.

Here is a Sap Sipper vs Thick Fat Comparison calc against a Specs Solar Power Zard in the Sun, to prove my above point, and show the effectiveness of this set in action.
252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sap Sipper Azumarill in Sun: 263-310 (65 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Azumarill in Sun: 132-156 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 3.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Here are some general calcs against threats in the tier. Bolded is Azumarill attacking.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill: 150-177 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
188+ SpA Dragapult Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill: 183-217 (45.2 - 53.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
20 SpA Azumarill Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 168-196 (51.6 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Azumarill: 127-150 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
20 SpA Azumarill Scald vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 78-92 (25 - 29.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after toxic damage

+2 228 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Azumarill: 324-382 (80.1 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 28 Def Alakazam: 144-170 (57.3 - 67.7%)
+2 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Azumarill: 220-259 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 124-146 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- 75.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Thick Fat Azumarill: 146-174 (36.1 - 43%) -- 95.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Thick Fat Azumarill: 46-55 (11.3 - 13.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
20 SpA Azumarill Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem: 84-98 (21.4 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after toxic damage
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Azumarill in Sun: 122-144 (30.1 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 139-164 (34.4 - 40.5%) -- 50.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)