Other OU Pokemon Categorization Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OU Pokemon Categorization Thread

The idea behind this thread is to create a simple to use utility which provides easy information for beginners to digest in order to find out some of the more popular Pokemon for getting certain things done in game. It will provide basic team building Information which should help all beginners and maybe experts as well although if you want more detailed team-building information the thread you should use is: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-teambuilding.3499606

The lists will not be in any particular order, although generally the higher ranked Pokemon will be earlier on due to how I created the lists based off of the OU viability thread. All suggestions and feedback is welcome so if you want to suggestion anything do not hesitate to make a comment and will be taken into consideration.

Categories are in no particular order and Smogon XY dex was used for most of the data: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/
-----
Categories
Setup
Hazard Removal

Stealth Rocks

Spikes / Toxic Spikes

Team Support
Priority

Clerics

Wish, Heal Bell and Aromatherapy.

Baton Passers

Sticky Web

Weather

Dual Screens

Trappers

Offensive
Offensive Pokemon

Bulky Offensive Pokemon

Pokemon that are Acknowledged for having good bulk through the sets they use. In particular use of Item/EV's and Abilities as well as typing.

Wall Breakers

Setup Sweepers

Defensive
Defensive Pokemon

Stall Breakers

Other
Viable OU Megas

------------------------------------------------

Pokemon Specific
Source: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/victim-of-the-week-3-0-week-7-mawile.3509781/

Mega Charizard X
Checks

Counters

Mega Tyranitar
Checks

Counters

Greninja

Checks

Counters

Kyurem Black
Checks

---
Counters

Landorus-I
Checks

Counters

Mega Gyarados
Checks

Counters

------------------------------------------------
Play-style Specific

Typical Rain Team Pokemon

Typical Sand Team Pokemon

Typical Trick Room Team Pokemon

Typical Volt-Turn Team Pokemon

-------------------------------
Other Useful team-building utilities:

If you want to cross reference with the viability thread the link for that is:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-viability-ranking-thread-v2.3502428/

Similarly, If you want to check usage stats for the particular month:
http://sweepercalc.com/stats/

For more Detailed team-building:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-teambuilding.3499606

To check your teams key OU weakness' and Walls use this(Break My team/Wall it):
http://sweepercalc.com/rmt/

For popular cores used:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/good-cores-v2.3505075/

Last edited:
It seems like a possible idea simply for its ability to simplify and aid newcomers when it comes to teambuilding and learning the common roles of pokemon in the meta. However I'm dubious of some of the description and classifications in the OP so far. Mega Pinsir for instance is most definitely a sweeper, and shouldn't be classified as a wallbreaker simply because it's powerful enough to power through walls meant to stop physical pokemon like it. Thundurus most definitely should be a wallbreaker, and can also be a sweeper as well.

I think before we do this (since there are also pokemon that can fulfill multiple roles here, even sometimes at the same time) we need to better define both the roles listed here along with how they interact with each other and also common team archetypes and how these roles are implemented.

It seems like a possible idea simply for its ability to simplify and aid newcomers when it comes to teambuilding and learning the common roles of pokemon in the meta. However I'm dubious of some of the description and classifications in the OP so far. Mega Pinsir for instance is most definitely a sweeper, and shouldn't be classified as a wallbreaker simply because it's powerful enough to power through walls meant to stop physical pokemon like it. Thundurus most definitely should be a wallbreaker, and can also be a sweeper as well.

I think before we do this (since there are also pokemon that can fulfill multiple roles here, even sometimes at the same time) we need to better define both the roles listed here along with how they interact with each other and also common team archetypes and how these roles are implemented.
I agree completely. I am not the most experienced with all of OU yet, I just wanted to create a backbone for this thread so that the basic idea could be grasped by anyone reading. The different sections will definitely need tweaking as well as the placement of probably a fair few Pokemon, but that can hopefully be addressed by the community here as many of you will have more knowledge than myself in regards to half of these Pokemon which I have not used very often. However when this thread starts to take shape it will hopefully prove very handy for new comers to figure out what Pokemon performs what role easily so that they can use that knowledge not only for making a team but for battling against the Pokemon as well. And hopefully it may even be useful to seasoned players as well as they can see all the different options for a specific slot in one convenient list.

Great idea!
I would add to:
Wall Breakers: Mega Medicham, Kyurem-B
Baton Passer: Smeargle, Venomoth
Revenge Killers: Garchomp, Deo-S (it's probably getting banned so don't bother too much about it)
Mixed Wall: Hippowdon, maybe Sylveon?
Field Control: Politoed
Cleric: Chansey, Blissey
Setup Sweepers: Keldeo(subCM)

I may have put some B rank pokes here, feel free to ignore them
Also, it may be helpful to put with which set the pokemon is capable of doing that role. Example:
Revenge Killer: Garchomp(Scarf)

Last edited:
Klefki and Sableye should count as annoyers as well.
These are simply the S and A Viability Rank Pokemon atm. The rest of the ranks will follow as soon as I know everyone has agreed on the different categories and the placing of the S and A ranked Pokemon in these categories. I would also like to here feedback if people agree with Zekrenzo's idea on minor elaboration into why they are placed in the specific category by using key points of note such as moves/items or simply stats.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Baton Passers are not limited to Scolipede and Ninjask - Mew, Smeargle, Espeon, Vaporeon, etc. are all fairy viable as not only receivers but to start a passing chain. I don't personally play Baton Pass but I've come up against my fair share. Additionally, I'd split Landorus by its forms because Therian isn't really all that much of a special sweeper no matter how much you want him to be. It's either SR + three attacks or Choice Band/Scarf with him and not much else. So if you split Landorus-T into physical sweepers and keep Landorus-I under Mixed, I think that'd be more fair.

There needs to be a Pivot category as well. Members of this category include Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, Rotom-W, and Mega Manectric.

I think Weather control should be merged with Utility, as weather is not a huge deal anymore and there are only 7 candidates for the former anyway.

Set-up Sweepers: Diggersby, Mega Pinsir (Swords Dance for both)
Mixed Walls: Clefable (Unaware), Heatran, Rotom-W
Tanks: Mega Scizor, Mega Gyarados, Tyranitar
Utility: Mega Scizor (Defog), Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Heatran

Is this approved by a mod?

Some additions:

Physical Walls: Slowbro, Amoonguss (even if can be even special or mixed), Quagsire, Zapdos (evn special)
Special Walls: Sylveon.
Control Field: Politoed, the ladder is full of rain teams, maybe Abomasnow.
Stallbreaker: Mew, Krokodile (just see the TFL's team)

U forget to put trappers:
Trappers: Gothitelle, Magnezone

Maybe i write something later, i don't want waste time if the thread isn't approved.

Don't we already have the OU teambuilding thread which does the same thing? This thread seems pretty pointless.
I don't get the point of this thread when the OU teambuilding thread exists

btw people should post more in that thread
I mentioned in my initial post, this thread is supposed to be an easy to read tool for quickly finding out which Pokemon specialize at what. The OU team building thread is very detailed about specific Pokemon but not as convenient when initially plotting a team. That thread would be the kind of tool to use to find a Pokemon that fills a very specific role within your team. This thread will simply display a list of all the options available in OU so that you can go and research more into each and every one of them on the relevant other threads such as the teambuilding thread to find a more perfect fit that might have been missed due to there being several OU Pokemon that get much less use than others but might actually be a perfect match for your team because of it's typing or ability.

Ok so u can change the title in a sort of "guide for beginners to pokemon roles", or something similar using a correct english (not like me). Seeing the thread in this way is different. Also pm Subject 18, every threads should be accepted by a mod.
If is accepted, i would glad to help.

The OU team building thread is very detailed about specific Pokemon but not as convenient when initially plotting a team.
I'm not sure how you can get more convenient than categorized pokemon with a description on how to use them and why it works. I mean, sure you'll probably get more pokemon in this thread because you're just listing names, but that doesn't really help. Giving a list of names to a player isn't going to help them if they don't know how to use them.

On the subject, I think a really useful thread for someone who knows that they're talking about to make would be a thread on synergy. It's one thing to have a list of all the individual parts, but like I said, that doesn't help much if you don't know how to put them together. I think a thread on how to build around the top win conditions in the meta would help a lot.

I know you're only including s/a rank so far but i think you're missing a few...

Mixed Sweepers: Pokemon that are able to cripple a good amount of Pokemon thanks to it's good Special and physical power, bringing unpredictability in wall choice.
  • Landorus
Add Thundurus and Aegislash to this list.

Annoyers: Pokemon that inflict status or perform other such tasks that an opponent would consider annoying. Moves such as: Will-o-wisp, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Encore, Infestation and Whirlwind. As well as certain abilities such as shadow tag.
  • Thundurus
  • Rotom - Wash
Why isn't Gengar on this list? He can run at least 1/2 of those moves.

First of all, how is Chansey/Blissey not in as a Cleric? Heal Bell/Wish support is pretty damn standard on the blobs.

Hippowdon can function as a mixed wall due to sandstorm boosting its lower Special Defense and access to reliable recovery.

Also, Scarf Latios can be an awesome revenge killer, outspeeding literally the entire unboosted metagame bar Deoxys-S is pretty impressive, it is certainly not short in supply when it comes to power.

First of all, how is Chansey/Blissey not in as a Cleric? Heal Bell/Wish support is pretty damn standard on the blobs.

Hippowdon can function as a mixed wall due to sandstorm boosting its lower Special Defense and access to reliable recovery.

Also, Scarf Latios can be an awesome revenge killer, outspeeding literally the entire unboosted metagame bar Deoxys-S is pretty impressive, it is certainly not short in supply when it comes to power.
Sandstorm only boosts rock types sdef but hippo can still be a good mixed wall with a spread of 248hp 252sdef and 8def with an impish nature

I think Garchomp should be moved from Physical Sweeper to Pivot. Not considering the Choice Scarf set (more of a cleaner than a sweeper), it's got great natural bulk, sits a good speed tier, and has good enough coverage to come in on the vast majority of resisted and neutral hits and threaten with big damage. Plus it doesn't fear Sandstorm damage and can actually punish physical attackers with Rough Skin ( + Rocky Helmet, if it uses it).

Just now getting around to this. I don't mind this being a thread at all. However I don't want it to conflict with the OU Team Building thread. The way this is currently set up, it just lists roles that pokemon fill on a team with no other information added on to it. What I recommend doing is following what Edgar has done with this same concept in Ubers. If you could add pictures, frameworks for certain playstyles, etc that would be much more helpful than listing out the Physical Sweepers, Special Sweepers and such in the tier. This would be much more helpful to newer users. Do this and I will sticky this thread. Anyone is free to help out with frameworks and such just post and it can be added to the OP.

Last edited:
Just now getting around to this. I don't mind this being a thread at all. However I don't want it to conflict with the OU Team Building thread. The way this is currently set up, it just lists roles that pokemon fill on a team with no other information added on to it. What I recommend doing is following what Edgar has done with this concept in Ubers. If you could add pictures, frameworks for certain playstyles, etc that would be much more helpful than listing out the Physical Sweepers, Special Sweepers and such in the tier. This would be much more helpful to newer users. Do this and I will sticky this thread. Anyone is free to help out with frameworks and such just post and it can be added to the OP.
This idea makes sense I will do some of the Framework for the more obvious categories now and we can add more as and when people suggest good options.

Sorry for double posting however I have made a big update to the initial thread with Updated categories. I will need the help of the community to fix some positioning of the current Pokemon I have added. Keep it to the Pokemon posted for now though please. Will add C and on-wards at a later time. If anyone has decent suggestions for Missing categories that should ideally be included please post your idea.

First note, I'd remove some pokémon from certain categories. For example, Dragonite can learn Defog, but I don't believe it's used competitively (at least I haven't seen it). Same goes for Defog Staraptor and Stealth Rock M-Pinsir.

Stall Breakers: Landorus-I, Gengar, Gothitelle, Talonflame (BulkUp+Roost), M-Alakazam, and M-Gardevoir.

Wall Breakers (Not yet a category, but I'd recommend it): Kyurem-B, Victini, M-Mawile, M-Hera, M-Medicham, Keldeo, Crawdaunt

Sticky Web: Smeargle, Shuckle, (Galvantula?)

Aegislash Checks: Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, Amoonguss, Bisharp.

Charizard-M-X Counters: Quagsire, Gyarados, Rhyperior, Landorus-T

Typical Rain Team Pokes: Politoed, Kingdra, Kabutops, Tornadus-T, M-Scizor, Ferrothorn, M-Ampharos, Deoxys-S

Typical Sand Team Pokes: Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Excadrill

Typical Sun Team Pokes: Ninetales, Charizard-M-Y, M-Houndoom, Victini, Darmanitan, Venusaur

Typical Trick Room Pokemon: Porygon2, Cresselia, Bronzong, Exploud, M-Mawile, M-Heracross, Crawdaunt

Just some preliminary ideas. I know some of these pokémon are lower rank than you've reached yet, but I figured while I was at it I'd include all of the ideas I had.

We're getting there. Yeah, I agree with Jobes on adding in a Stallbreaker and Wallbreaker section.

Remove "Typical sun Pokemon" because sun teams don't really exist in XY. The only "sun" you get is from Zard Y and that isnt abusable like Politoed's rain, Hippo and Ttar's Sand.

I'll post later on adding and removed pokemon and refining the sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)