Tournament OU Team Rating Competition V5 - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Approved by esteemed RMT Leader IronBullet
Hosts: Gross Sweep | TPP | Anish | Simia

Welcome to the latest edition of the Team Rater Competition! The tier this time around will be SM OU. For each round we'll post a team, and participants will have one week to complete a rate of said team. When the round is over, the participants who submitted the best rates will move onto the next round. If you are eliminated and want to receive feedback on your rate, the hosts will be more than happy to provide that upon request. Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month. If you're currently involved in or are looking to start rating OU teams, I highly encourage you to participate as this promises to be a great learning experience. Here's to a fun and competitive tournament!

Important notes:
  • Shoutouts in the room intro of the RMT room and in RMT news.
  • The rates in the final two rounds will count towards the Team Rater
  • The winner will be awarded voice status in the RMT room on PS if they have shown an interest in getting involved.
  • Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month.
  • If you are eliminated and would like some feedback on your rate and how you can improve going forward, feel free to ask us.
  • At the end of each round, we will announce the best rate from that round and a quick overview of what we liked in the rates submitted.
Deadline will be June 25th 11:59 PM EST.

PM your rate to Gross Sweep TPP Anish Simia

Participants:
mellowyellowhd
Indigo Plateau
Ske Mask The Slump God
Jordy
vso
DragonKnightmaster

Also just a note, but if you need an extension please ask at least 48 hours beforehand. This isn't to single anyone out, as we've had at least 3 people ask for an extension last minute every round.

Last edited:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Hey, so I am back again with another team. I really wanted to build a bulky offensive team, with an emphasis on winning the game with SD mega Scizor. Max bulk to help it take as many hits as possible. Swords Dance boosts attack, Bullet Punch is a great priority stab attack boosted by Technician, U-turn is for momentum, and roost helps with longevity.

I went with Ttar next. Choice Banded set was for breaking power, since I hate losing to fat. Stone Edge and Crunch are great stab, Pursuit is for trapping utility to better deal with psychics like the ever popular M-Latis, and Fire Punch helps pressure steels for M-Scizor. Tyranitar also gives me a flying resist, which is nice for all the Tornadus-T’s running around.

Next mon was SpDef Tapu Bulu. I went with SD for breaking, Horn Leech is great stab and recovery, Superpower pops steels for M-scizor, and Synthesis gives me recovery. Bulu also helps with the backbone of the team since it provides the team with a pivotal water, ground, and electric resist.

The fourth addition of the team is Gliscor. I’m running enough speed for outpace Zygarde, and possibly creep others doing the same. Swords Dance helps me break, Roost is for recovery, Earthquake is solid stab, and Façade is there for hitting things EQ can’t. Gliscor also gives me an electric immunity, which is great.

Fifth mon is Clefable. Great wall, really love having him on the team. Moonblast is for stab, Soft-Boiled is for recovery, Stealth Rock for chip, and Thunder wave for some nice yellow magic speed control. Not much else to say about this mon, it’s pretty self-explanatory. Clefable also gives me a fairy, which is great to have.

Final mon was Greninja. Greninja is fast, and unpredictable until it uses a move. Spikes helps extra chip, Gunk Shot helps vs things like Fini, HP Fire helps vs ferro and other steels, and Z-Hydro Pump is just a nuke. Really just surprising and powerful, plus it has got a cool shiny.
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 224 HP / 216 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Facade

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
As we are approaching the midway point of the semi-finals, it's time to highlight some of the best rates of round 3. The top rates from last round were done by Jordy and mellowyellowhd who ended up with very similar, but very solid rates.

Jordy starts off his rate by breaking down threats to the initial team. He then swaps the item on Koko going Electrium > Specs. This change gave the team a nuke to better deal with threats like Reuniclus and Heatran. This change also allows Koko to switch moves, meaning it can run Roost more reliably helping with longevity. The next change was adding the move Punishment to Scarf Landorus allowing the team to better deal with psychics like Reuniclus and the Latis. He then changes the Tangrowth set allowing the team to better check Kartana, while keeping up the pressure on Zygarde. The rate is the finished with a change of M-Latias > Latios. This change allows the team to check Hawlucha better, and the addition of Ice Beam to the set also helps the Gliscor match up.
Hello, I've found this team particularly hard to rate to make it better because it's honestly a really solid team already. But, after some time, I've come up, and tested these changes, and I believe this has made the team do better overall.

Changes in Blue
Threats in Red

The team overall is very solid, but does struggle a fair bit with Pokemon like Mega Latias, Reuniclus, Heatran, Hawlucha, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Kartana, Weakness Policy and Substitute Zygarde, all of which are highly dangerous threats in the current metagame.

Mega Latias and Reuniclus are big threats to your team as they can freely boost against atleast half of your team thanks to their outstanding natural bulk and typing.

Heatran, specifically Toxic or Will-O-Wisp Heatran, poses a big threat to your team because they can punish Mega Latios from switching in on Heatran.

Hawlucha is very capable of beating this team if it manages to get up a Swords Dance with very minor chip damage on Tapu Koko because it can OHKO or 2HKO every Pokemon on the team, while using Landorus-T as setup bait.

Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn are very annoying, especially if they're carrying Knock Off, which lets them annoy a big majority of the team.

Kartana is a big threat to watch out for, specifically Choice Band Kartana, as it can easily break up this team with proper prediction.

While it isn't as big of a threat as other Pokemon to this team, but once this team is significantly weakened, specifically Weakness Policy and Substitute Zygarde's pose threats to this team.

Changes

I'd suggest changing Tapu Koko from Choice Specs to its special z-move set. Considering how prediction reliant Choice Specs Tapu Koko is, it's very unreliable when paired with Hawlucha. Electrium Z improves the teams general matchup against Pokemon like Heatran and Reuniclus. It also doesn't have to lock itself into one move, resulting in it being more flexible. Running special z-move Tapu Koko also lets it function as a better check to Hawlucha because being able to freely use Roost lets it stay healthy to take on Hawlucha throughout the match.

Changing Hidden Power Ice to Punishment on Landorus-T improves the matchup against Calm Mind Mega Latias and Reuniclus. The loss of Hidden Power Ice doesn't come at much cost because the team has a good matchup against Zygarde, Garchomp, and Landorus-T anyways.

I'd suggest changing Hidden Power Ice to Hidden Power Fire to help against Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Kartana, all of which can be decently annoying against this team. Changing Hidden Power Ice with Hidden Power Fire also means you should replace Giga Drain with Grass Knot on Tangrowth because it lets Tangrowth break Zygarde's Substitute without Hidden Power Ice and will thus help a LOT against Zygarde, which are pretty worrisome for this team as they can clean up and win in the late-game if your team is weakened up enough without Grass Knot or Hidden Power Ice.

Instead of Mega Latios I'd suggest using Mega Latias because of its superior defensive presence while still being very capable of beating the Pokemon Mega Latios can. Mega Latias is capable of taking a +2 Acrobatics from Hawlucha, which is huge for this team because Hawlucha beats almost every Pokemon on the team. It also helps in the matchup against Zygarde thanks to its natural bulk.

Ending notes

This team was honestly really good before these changes, but with these changes it should do better in matchups against a few Pokemon, like Mega Latias, Reuniclus, Heatran, Hawlucha, Mega Scizor, and Kartana.

tl;dr: The matchup against Pokemon like Heatran, Reuniclus, and Hawlucha has benefitted from these changes thanks to the addition of Mega Latias and shift from Choice Specs Tapu Koko to special z-move Tapu Koko. Mega Latias and Reuniclus should be easier to handle because Landorus-T runs Punishment now. Adding Hidden Power Fire on Tangrowth instead of Hidden Power Ice helps the team against Mega Scizor, Kartana, and Ferrothorn which can be really annoying to this team. The addition of Grass Knot also means Tangrowth isn't setup bait for Substitute Zygarde despite not carrying Hidden Power Ice.

>>>
<<<
Click here

mellowyellowhd starts off his rate by changing the Heatran to a Z set. This change helps the team better break stall. He then goes with Ice Beam > HP Fire on M-Latios to help pressure/check mons like Zygarde and Gliscor. He then changes the Koko to Shuca berry allowing Koko to better handle Lucha, and switch up moves in the process. He then changes the set on Tangrowth allowing it to beat Kartana, while keeping up the pressure on Zygarde.
Round 3

Introduction

Hey Gross, this week you've really outdone yourself! The team didn't really need any major changes - however, I've fine tuned a few of the sets just to refine some matchups - particularly stall looked somewhat problematic. Onto the rate!

Changes

>

First thing I noticed about the team was the lack of a Z-move user and a difficulty to break through stall - making Heatran Firium Z on Heatran alleviated these issues.

>

I'd recommend running Ice Beam over HP Fire on this team as it also OHKOs Kartana while hitting Pokemon more threatening to your team - SD Gliscor and Lando for example.

>

I think Shuca Berry on Koko works a bit better as it's a more consistent pivot for Hawlucha as it doesn't risk losing all momentum against Ground types and it provides a check to Flyinium Z Landorus.

>

Punishment serves to act as some counterplay to bulky Calm Minders such as Reuniclus and Mega Latias.

Optional Changes

>

Grass Knot and HP Fire over Giga Drain and HP Ice is a serious consideration for this team - it provides a secondary Kartana check as Latios can struggle to switch into Scarf / Banded Kartana if Rocks are up, so having HP Fire can prove to be quite useful. Grass Knot is used in conjunction with HP Fire as it allows you to hit Zygarde still - Grass Knot is 120BP against Zygarde so you guaranteed break subs. It also hits Gyarados, Tyranitar, Mamoswine, Terrakion etc much harder.

Conclusion

And there we are! The team should have a few better matchups now. Although, I should say that Lele is a threat to this team still as Heatran can't repeatedly take moves from Specs and it can be killed by Fighting coverage. However, this isn't a problem specific to this team, Lele is notoriously hard to switch into for teams without Jirachi or Specially Defensive Magearna. Have fun with the team! :]

Import (click the pokemon)

All of the rates this round were very solid, and I'm looking forward to seeing what all our semi-finalists come up with. Do your best, were so close to the finals.

Nuxl

new message from your psychologist
is a Community Contributor
hey, is there a best r1 rate? would be interesting to see how the only rate i submitted could be improved. ty in advance

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
hey, is there a best r1 rate? would be interesting to see how the only rate i submitted could be improved. ty in advance
Due to the sheer amount of submissions in round 1, the fact the team was fairly basic when it came to needed changes leading to a lot of overlap in rates, and the fact we're offering critiques through pm on any rates throughout the competition has lead us to the decision that we will not be publicly announcing the top rates of round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)