Project OU Teambuilding Competition V8 (Round 24: Building: Post #721 Page 29: Mega Latias + Togekiss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Voting ends give or take like 7 hours from now which will then be the start of round 8. Thanks for participation everyone keep it coming.

Awesome teams this week, they all look really fun to use. I'm going to go ahead a pick Team 12 because it embodies what Darkspam is meant to be about: Overloading checks and counters to nab a sweep. Team 10 looks like a really cool team but, in my mind, it doesn't fit the definition of Darkspam; it just has two dark types.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
You...You... has won Round 7 Dark Spam concept with his Dark Spam Hyper Offense team. Well done your team has now been added to Hall Of Fame. Round 8 will be featuring a core used by a long time ladderer (not sure if he's still around on PS), that some of you more than likely have during the XY era.

Round 8: Gyarados + Meloetta

So the question now is in what ways will you guys make it work in ORAS? Fyi if a base form Pokemon has a mega you're allowed to use it (The actual core used by said player Storm used M-Gyarados). Some talks with people like Aldo and others even myself agree the concept of building around a mega is kind of boring and lots of times linear as such I'm gonna be trying to refrain from doing that too much unless it's some really out there that I would be interested to see. Have fun!

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
You...You... has won Round 7 Dark Spam concept with his Dark Spam Hyper Offense team. Well done your team has now been added to Hall Of Fame. Round 8 will be featuring a core used by a long time ladderer (not sure if he's still around on PS), that some of you more than likely have during the XY era.

So the question now is in what ways will you guys make it work in ORAS? Fyi if a base form Pokemon has a mega you're allowed to use it (The actual core used by said player Storm used M-Gyarados). Some talks with people like Aldo and others even myself agree the concept of building around a mega is kind of boring and lots of times linear as such I'm gonna be trying to refrain from doing that too much unless it's some really out there that I would be interested to see. Have fun!
Damn this core brings back a lot of memories when I played storm all the time on the ladder. Should be a fun core to build around

Dread Arceus

total cockhead

tagging Storm Zone himself if he still plays :o

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
EVs: 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Meloetta-P + Mega Gyarados is a cool core, with Meloetta-P being able to weaken its checks to facilitate a sweep. The fairy weakness stood out, so I started by adding Jirachi to the core. Next was Raikou to check Mega Manectric. Talon to check Mega Sableye and stall in general, as well as some priority, albeit weak. Starmie spins. In my limited testing, Ferrothorn and Hippo cores were annoying, so I got fed-up and decided I would just lure both of them with HP Fire + Toxic Raikou. Starmie also has Thunderbolt to help with Mega Slowbro and Mega Gyarados.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM
I have lotsa shiet on my plate today, so I'll type up a description as soon as I can, but anyway here's what I got in the meantime:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Substitute

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Initially, I had Mega Gyara over normal, but that changed when it came to hazard removal. Normally, I'd pair Mega Gyara with a Lati, but with the presence of Meloetta I opted not to be murdered in the facehole by Low Kick Weavile. I ended up settling on normal Gyara + Sand Rush Excadrill w/ support T-tar. These guys work really well together, luring mons like Keldeo and Venu only for them to be bopped by STAB Bounce. I added Mega Chomp to the mix, a terrifically powerful wallbreaker in sand, to do just that as well as to add a smidgen of surprise at the choice of mega for the squadron (out of a possible three). Ironically, the team itself is weak to sand, and when sand isn't up, to mega Alt (EQ variants) a bit as well, so Air Balloon + Magnet Rise Zone was added to fuck 'em up. TrickSpecs was the Meloetta set I settled for, packing some real special firepower for breaking down fatmons as well as being able to fuck with fatties and physical attackers alike.

Last edited:
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Serperior @ Lum Berry
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic
Mega Gyarados is the MVP and primary wincon of the team. Imo if you're not using taunt on M-Gyara you're not doing it right. Taunt + dragon dance + mold breaker + natural bulk allows him to destroy all archetypes, setting up easily, bypassing magic guard and unaware, and resisting most priority bar mach punch (which you can stay un-evolved for).

Serperior is possibly the best offensive partner for Gyarados, taking out problem mons such as Azu, Keld, Skarm, Rotom, Chesnaught, Ferrothorn to clear the way for a sweep. Serp can also be a wincon on its own and many teams are still unprepared for this thing. Glare allows him to cripple a switch-in and lum berry to absorb wisps, scalds, t-waves.

With an assault vest, Meloetta is a surprisingly bulky and powerful special tank with a unique typing and coverage options. Charge beam is a cool option - with serene grace it gives you a 100% chance of boosting SpA, becoming a ridiculously powerful breaker whilst dealing decent damage at the same time. Plenty of opportunities to use it too due to AV & the high amount of switches she causes. Psyshock beats M-Venu and Keldeo which can still cause problems for the others. Hyper voice for powerful neutral STAB and focus blast for coverage (plus neat 20% SpD-drop chance).

M-Gyara is threatening but without any form of recovery + SR-weakness pre-mega can easily be worn down throughout the match. Latias' primary role is to provide defog and healing wish support. A fast thunderbolt is also welcome to surprise the likes of Azumarill who otherwise wrecks this team. Ice beam completes the boltbeam coverage and surprises Chomp, Lando, Gliscor etc.

Sand rush Excadrill provides insurance vs a few key threats, most notably M-Mane, Raikou, Thundurus, Clefable, M-Alt, Talonflame, CharY, Weavile. He is a great revenge killer and with swords dance a third strong wincon, giving me lots of flexibility and offensive pressure. The blinding speed also makes up for lack of priority on the team, outspeeding most scarfers.

Hippowdon provides sand for Excadrill, a reliable way of setting rocks throughout the match, a physical wall to complement AV Meloetta, & a vital CharX check. Toxic in the last slot helps to put opposing walls or set-up mons on a timer. Hippo is passive but the support he brings to the team more than makes up for it.
Credit to You...You... for the Hippowdown idea and changing the Excadrill spread

Last edited:

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Return

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Fire Blast

I decided to build around regular gyara and melo-p. They don't have much synergy but I've always liked regular gyara and melo seemed somewhat interesting. Gyara is bulky dd with enough speed to out run lop and mane at +1. Melo is just max max. I went with av raikou next to switch into mega man and thundy. Lati for defog and a keld check. Hippo is the only Mon that can take on bisharp. Lastly I went with support mega alt to help lure Ferro for gyara while also having heal to help with rouge burns. You gotta be careful around azu.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice
- U-turn

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 136 HP / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

I started off with the standard M-Gyara set with Substitute to get the edge on some status users like Clefable and M-Eye. I wanted to use Meloetta as a breaker for M-Gyara, so I opted for a Specs set. Psychic + Hyper Voice + Focus Blast have really good coverage across the tier and U-Turn helps to keep momentum on my side. Next I added AV Torn-T to help against Keldeo, the Latis, Zam, etc. Hurricane is standard STAB, HP Ice helps weaken the likes of Garchomp and Lando-T for M-Gyara, U-Turn again keeps momentum, and Heat Wave gets damage off on steels not named Heatran. CM Clefable was added next because of the myriad of things it checks, with Flamethrower being the move of choice to lure in Ferro, Zor, and Skarm for M-Gyara. The team was still weak to the Zards and Bish, so fast RH Chomp was added. Fast RH Chomp is the best set imo as it has good staying power, a very useful speed tier, and decent power with several opportunities to set up an SD. Lastly, I needed reliable, fast hazard removal. Scarf Excadrill fit the bill best, with the added bonus of being able to revenge M-Alt and opposing M-Gyara at +1 in addition to all the other stuff it revenge kills. The team can have some difficulty dealing with Azu and rain, but careful playing remedies this to an extent, especially against Azu.

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Serperior @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
Mega Gyarados is the MVP and primary wincon of the team. Imo if you're not using taunt on M-Gyara you're not doing it right. Taunt + dragon dance + mold breaker + natural bulk allows him to destroy all archetypes, setting up easily, bypassing magic guard and unaware, and resisting most priority bar mach punch (which you can stay un-evolved for).

Serperior is possibly the best offensive partner for Gyarados, taking out problem mons such as Azu, Keld, Skarm, Rotom, Chesnaught, Ferrothorn to clear the way for a sweep. Serp can also be a wincon on its own and many teams are still unprepared for this thing. Glare allows him to cripple a switch-in and lum berry to absorb wisps, scalds, t-waves.

With an assault vest, Meloetta is a surprisingly bulky and powerful special tank with a unique typing and coverage options. Charge beam is a cool option - with serene grace it gives you a 100% chance of boosting SpA, becoming a ridiculously powerful breaker whilst dealing decent damage at the same time. Plenty of opportunities to use it too due to AV & the high amount of switches she causes. Psyshock beats M-Venu and Keldeo which can still cause problems for the others. Hyper voice for powerful neutral STAB and focus blast for coverage (plus neat 20% SpD-drop chance).

M-Gyara is threatening but without any form of recovery + SR-weakness pre-mega can easily be worn down throughout the match. Latias' primary role is to provide defog and healing wish support. A fast ice beam is also welcome to surprise the likes of Chomp, Lando, Gliscor etc.

Scarf Excadrill provides insurance vs a few key threats, most notably M-Mane, Raikou, Thundurus, Clefable, M-Alt, Talonflame, CharY. He is a great revenge killer and with mold breaker a surprisingly good late game cleaner. Mold breaker allows him to set rocks vs magic bounce users. SR on a scarfer is a bit unorthodox but since Exca is usually forced out after a switch anyway in practice it actually works pretty well, and doesn't lose any more momentum than you would anyway with a scarfed mon.

Azu brings much-needed and powerful priority to the team, key bug dark and fighting resists, and a vital check to CharX. EVs outspeed other Azu which can also be a problem, & he also helps the weather matchup. He forms a water-spam core with Gyara to break through common resists, and just generally provides effective & powerful hole-punching and cleaning capabilities.
Personally Bendiving, I would replace Azu with a Bulky SR setting Ground such as Lando-T or Hippowdon as this allows to you better check Tflame, still check Zard X and take SR off your Excadrill (with Hippo even providing sand) but that's just my opinion. You do lose out on priority, although this is somewhat negated by having a Scarfer or possible Sand Rush mon. Hope I helped.

(We're allowed to do this right?)

Personally Bendiving, I would replace Azu with a Bulky SR setting Ground such as Lando-T or Hippowdon as this allows to you better check Tflame, still check Zard X and take SR off your Excadrill (with Hippo even providing sand) but that's just my opinion. You do lose out on priority, although this is somewhat negated by having a Scarfer or possible Sand Rush mon. Hope I helped.

(We're allowed to do this right?)
Really interesting idea, thank you. I will try this later today (I was planning on doing more testing later anyway). Hippo sounds the best as then I can go swords dance on Exca making him a really effective sweeper and faster than scarf. It makes me quite weak to u-turn and hippo is a bit passive but I think it will work well (ttar would stack too many weaknesses unfortunately). Another thing I was gonna try is Clefable as rocker over Azu which works better defensively. Another option is Lando and then I can switch Exca to Tran. But sand sounds too good. Cheers & will update later :)

Edit- hippo worked best, having SD sand rush Exca as a third wincon really helps, I don't miss priority too much as Exca outspeeds most scarfers anyway. Only thing is it makes me really weak to Azu especially belly drum so I put thunderbolt on Latias to help with that & the boltbeam coverage actually works pretty well there too. Will keep testing but I'm much happier with the team now so thanks!

Last edited:
Not perfect but w/e.

Gyarados (M) @ Cheri Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Natural Gift
- Stone Edge

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Tyranitar (Tyranitar-Mega) (M) @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

why do I literally always put [importable] or [importable=hide] ffs

So I decided to try out an offensive CM Meloetta, since it can still pivot in on strong special attacks without an Assault Vest, and Leftovers puts it on a longer timer than Assault Vest does. It also effectively lures the common Dark-types in the tier bar Hoopa-U the (BAN ME PLEASE), namely Tyranitar, putting Gyarados in a good position to start a sweep. As for Gyarados, CM Meloetta appreciates the removal of Steel-types despite having Focus Blast; Cheri Berry Dragon Dance does that part well. An added bonus here is that since Gyarados is a big role compressor in this team, it has ample opportunities to come out early and start breaking holes/luring steels. Mamoswine is a HUGE threat that somehow fell out of people's sights in late-middle XY. Almost all of the Ground immunities in the tier pair up poorly against Mamoswine due to its Ice-type STAB and priority, while Mamoswine can also muscle its way past all those teams that use Ground-types like Garchomp, Landog, and Hippowdon as their primary physical walls. Raikou hits the bulky Water-types that otherwise give this team trouble, and can Volt Switch out of the opposing team's switch-in, giving this team much-needed momentum. Ironically, the next member isn't exactly the best at keeping Momentum: Ferrothorn. While I usually REALLY don't like using Ferrothorn (or any wall without recovery tbh), it fits in this type of team since it usually isn't needed long enough for its longevity to be an issue, especially with Leech Seed being able to somewhat stem its constant wearing down. Ferrothorn, like Gyarados, has a big role in the team as a compressor, which means ample opportunities to set up rocks, and whittle the opponent with Leech Seed, or just to chain-switch. Lastly, Mega Tyranitar takes up the rear as another role compressor and second wincon, and creating the Gyarados-Tyranitar Mega Dupe. It doesn't even really need to Dragon Dance to fulfill its position in the team, though having another option open for a win condition never hurts.

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Superpower
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 28 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Defog

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Havent used Mega Gyara in some time so had to use it here. Spex Meloetta is pretty decent paired with Gyara seeing that it weakens the steels that are usually forced in; Dazzling Gleam hits dragons and Hoopa hard, but it's mainly for M-Sab to take off a clean like 60+ which opens up holes for the next member: Conkeldurr. LO + SF Conk is the perfect partner to M-Gyara since the majority of M-Gyara's checks like Azu and Clef get absolutely floored by it. This dude is so hard to switch into. Also the priority is kewl for Weavile, Sand and Bisharp. Next, I went with good ol' Lando-T for rox + bird/sand check. SD lets me get rocks on a M Sable switch and dent fatter mons while checking M-Zor. Latias fulfills the role of electric and Keldeo check as per usual hehe. I was running HW on it but because my Conk isn't AV (which is such a good and viable option on this team, but we out here for big damage) I figured without the recovery I'd just get boned by Keld. Finally Scarf Rachi rounds out the squad by giving it some speed control and a check to fairies, namely mega Altaria. this is p much it.

Last edited:

AM

LCPL Champion
Time to vote. Voting will end Thursday around this time frame.

Team 1

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
EVs: 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
Meloetta-P + Mega Gyarados is a cool core, with Meloetta-P being able to weaken its checks to facilitate a sweep. The fairy weakness stood out, so I started by adding Jirachi to the core. Next was Raikou to check Mega Manectric. Talon to check Mega Sableye and stall in general, as well as some priority, albeit weak. Starmie spins. In my limited testing, Ferrothorn and Hippo cores were annoying, so I got fed-up and decided I would just lure both of them with HP Fire + Toxic Raikou. Starmie also has Thunderbolt to help with Mega Slowbro and Mega Gyarados.
Team 2

Garchomp @ Garchompite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Substitute

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
Initially, I had Mega Gyara over normal, but that changed when it came to hazard removal. Normally, I'd pair Mega Gyara with a Lati, but with the presence of Meloetta I opted not to be murdered in the facehole by Low Kick Weavile. I ended up settling on normal Gyara + Sand Rush Excadrill w/ support T-tar. These guys work really well together, luring mons like Keldeo and Venu only for them to be bopped by STAB Bounce. I added Mega Chomp to the mix, a terrifically powerful wallbreaker in sand, to do just that as well as to add a smidgen of surprise at the choice of mega for the squadron (out of a possible three). Ironically, the team itself is weak to sand, and when sand isn't up, to mega Alt (EQ variants) a bit as well, so Air Balloon + Magnet Rise Zone was added to fuck 'em up. TrickSpecs was the Meloetta set I settled for, packing some real special firepower for breaking down fatmons as well as being able to fuck with fatties and physical attackers alike.
Team 3
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Serperior @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

M-Gyara is threatening but without any form of recovery + SR-weakness pre-mega can easily be worn down throughout the match. Latias' primary role is to provide defog and healing wish support. A fast thunderbolt is also welcome to surprise the likes of Azumarill who otherwise wrecks this team. Ice beam completes the boltbeam coverage and surprises Chomp, Lando, Gliscor etc.

Sand rush Excadrill provides insurance vs a few key threats, most notably M-Mane, Raikou, Thundurus, Clefable, M-Alt, Talonflame, CharY, Weavile. He is a great revenge killer and with swords dance a third strong wincon, giving me lots of flexibility and offensive pressure. The blinding speed also makes up for lack of priority on the team, outspeeding most scarfers.

Hippowdon provides sand for Excadrill, a reliable way of setting rocks throughout the match, a physical wall to complement AV Meloetta, & a vital CharX check. Toxic in the last slot helps to put opposing walls or set-up mons on a timer. Hippo is passive but the support he brings to the team more than makes up for it.
Credit to You...You... for the Hippowdown idea and changing the Excadrill spread
Team 4

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Return

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Fire Blast
I decided to build around regular gyara and melo-p. They don't have much synergy but I've always liked regular gyara and melo seemed somewhat interesting. Gyara is bulky dd with enough speed to out run lop and mane at +1. Melo is just max max. I went with av raikou next to switch into mega man and thundy. Lati for defog and a keld check. Hippo is the only Mon that can take on bisharp. Lastly I went with support mega alt to help lure Ferro for gyara while also having heal to help with rouge burns. You gotta be careful around azu.
Team 5

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice
- U-turn

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 136 HP / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
I started off with the standard M-Gyara set with Substitute to get the edge on some status users like Clefable and M-Eye. I wanted to use Meloetta as a breaker for M-Gyara, so I opted for a Specs set. Psychic + Hyper Voice + Focus Blast have really good coverage across the tier and U-Turn helps to keep momentum on my side. Next I added AV Torn-T to help against Keldeo, the Latis, Zam, etc. Hurricane is standard STAB, HP Ice helps weaken the likes of Garchomp and Lando-T for M-Gyara, U-Turn again keeps momentum, and Heat Wave gets damage off on steels not named Heatran. CM Clefable was added next because of the myriad of things it checks, with Flamethrower being the move of choice to lure in Ferro, Zor, and Skarm for M-Gyara. The team was still weak to the Zards and Bish, so fast RH Chomp was added. Fast RH Chomp is the best set imo as it has good staying power, a very useful speed tier, and decent power with several opportunities to set up an SD. Lastly, I needed reliable, fast hazard removal. Scarf Excadrill fit the bill best, with the added bonus of being able to revenge M-Alt and opposing M-Gyara at +1 in addition to all the other stuff it revenge kills. The team can have some difficulty dealing with Azu and rain, but careful playing remedies this to an extent, especially against Azu.
Team 6

Gyarados (M) @ Cheri Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Natural Gift
- Stone Edge

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Tyranitar (Tyranitar-Mega) (M) @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
So I decided to try out an offensive CM Meloetta, since it can still pivot in on strong special attacks without an Assault Vest, and Leftovers puts it on a longer timer than Assault Vest does. It also effectively lures the common Dark-types in the tier bar Hoopa-U the (BAN ME PLEASE), namely Tyranitar, putting Gyarados in a good position to start a sweep. As for Gyarados, CM Meloetta appreciates the removal of Steel-types despite having Focus Blast; Cheri Berry Dragon Dance does that part well. An added bonus here is that since Gyarados is a big role compressor in this team, it has ample opportunities to come out early and start breaking holes/luring steels. Mamoswine is a HUGE threat that somehow fell out of people's sights in late-middle XY. Almost all of the Ground immunities in the tier pair up poorly against Mamoswine due to its Ice-type STAB and priority, while Mamoswine can also muscle its way past all those teams that use Ground-types like Garchomp, Landog, and Hippowdon as their primary physical walls. Raikou hits the bulky Water-types that otherwise give this team trouble, and can Volt Switch out of the opposing team's switch-in, giving this team much-needed momentum. Ironically, the next member isn't exactly the best at keeping Momentum: Ferrothorn. While I usually REALLY don't like using Ferrothorn (or any wall without recovery tbh), it fits in this type of team since it usually isn't needed long enough for its longevity to be an issue, especially with Leech Seed being able to somewhat stem its constant wearing down. Ferrothorn, like Gyarados, has a big role in the team as a compressor, which means ample opportunities to set up rocks, and whittle the opponent with Leech Seed, or just to chain-switch. Lastly, Mega Tyranitar takes up the rear as another role compressor and second wincon, and creating the Gyarados-Tyranitar Mega Dupe. It doesn't even really need to Dragon Dance to fulfill its position in the team, though having another option open for a win condition never hurts.
Team 7

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Superpower
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 28 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Defog

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish
Havent used Mega Gyara in some time so had to use it here. Spex Meloetta is pretty decent paired with Gyara seeing that it weakens the steels that are usually forced in; Dazzling Gleam hits dragons and Hoopa hard, but it's mainly for M-Sab to take off a clean like 60+ which opens up holes for the next member: Conkeldurr. LO + SF Conk is the perfect partner to M-Gyara since the majority of M-Gyara's checks like Azu and Clef get absolutely floored by it. This dude is so hard to switch into. Also the priority is kewl for Weavile, Sand and Bisharp. Next, I went with good ol' Lando-T for rox + bird/sand check. SD lets me get rocks on a M Sable switch and dent fatter mons while checking M-Zor. Latias fulfills the role of electric and Keldeo check as per usual hehe. I was running HW on it but because my Conk isn't AV (which is such a good and viable option on this team, but we out here for big damage) I figured without the recovery I'd just get boned by Keld. Finally Scarf Rachi rounds out the squad by giving it some speed control and a check to fairies, namely mega Altaria. this is p much it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)