Project OU Theorymon

I think you're spot on about Whiscash, Patolegend. Mega Manectric can switch in on the DD and still outspeed, putting you at +0 and potentially OHKOing with HP grass. I would compare it to mega swampert. They both require a turn of set up to reach their sweeping power/speed. Whiscash doesn't have quite the synergy with rain that swampert does, but it doesn't take up your mega slot.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Grass vs. 130 HP / 0 SpD Whiscash: 188-224 (93.5 - 111.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock....I think rocks are reasonable assumption since you will be largely cleaning with this thing.

Edit: Those are weird HP evs for Whiscash that were in the calculator. The point is mane can 2HKO with HP grass and survive one earthquake at +0.

This is definitely where Amnesia would see some use, though, but then again that leaves you with only waterfall and earthquake...all hail Mantine!

Here's a Zoroark core:
team builder is down at time of writing, so the formatting might be funky...

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot/U-turn

Hoopa-C @ Sitrus Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock / Nasty Plot

Weezing @ Black Sludge (The new Poison/Steel Weezing)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Flamethrower/Pain-Split/Toxic Spikes depending on level of Wall vs support you want

Yes, Hoopa-C, not that other abomination. Zoroark and Hoopa don't really care about each other's weaknesses, being immune to some of them in each case. This combined with illusion will be a real headache for the opponent, since the risk of throwing out a dud attack will allow a free turn of setup. Substitute lets Hoopa escape a pursuit so that you can switch in zoroark (or did he switch in the real Hoopa?!? I don't know!!! ) They bluff each other very well since nasty plot, focus blast, dark pulse and shadow ball are valid moves for each. Weezing is there to handle the physical wall breakers and fairies that Zoroark and Hoopa dislike. Additionally, a Zoroark disguised as Weezing is going to do a pretty good job dissuading fairy attacks. The fact that Zoroark is now fighting type helps it better bluff weezing's steel type when rocks are up. This core would like some hazard support, and weezing doesn't like switching in on Talonflame for fear of flare blitz. I could actually image a trick-room variant of this, where Hoopa is your setter and zoroark runs dual mixed priority, but I think that would be too hard to get to work.

Edit: Just some more thoughts...A core like this that makes it risky for the opponent to try super effective attacks would pair nicely with a bulky setup pokemon that can handle a few neutral hits, a la suicune, dragonite, or this slate's whiscash.

Last edited:

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think you're spot on about Whiscash, Patolegend. Mega Manectric can switch in on the DD and still outspeed, putting you at +0 and potentially OHKOing with HP grass.
This wasn't the point that I was making actually - Whiscash outspeeds Mega Man at +2, and one shots it with EQ:

252+ Atk Life Orb Whiscash Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 398-471 (141.6 - 167.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So there's no point in Mega Man running HP Grass, aside from for Gastrodon, Quag, or Swampert; it doesn't want to give up the valuable Ice coverage, which lets it beat Dragons, Lando-T, and Gliscor.

If it doesn't run HP Grass then it's doing nothing to Whiscash, meaning that Whiscash isn't really bothered about Intimidate users, only minorly inconvenienced by them.

Here's a Zoroark core:
team builder is down at time of writing, so the formatting might be funky...

[pimg]571[/pimg]
Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot/U-turn

[pimg]720[/pimg]
Hoopa-C @ Sitrus Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock / Nasty Plot

[pimg]110[/pimg]
Weezing @ Black Sludge (The new Poison/Steel Weezing)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Flamethrower/Pain-Split

Yes, Hoopa-C, not that other abomination. Zoroark and Hoopa don't really care about each other's weaknesses, being immune to some of them in each case. This combined with illusion will be a real headache for the opponent, since the risk of throwing out a dud attack will allow a free turn of setup. Substitute lets Hoopa escape a pursuit so that you can switch in zoroark (or did he switch in the real Hoopa?!? I don't know!!! They bluff each other very well since nasty plot, focus blast, dark pulse and shadow ball are valid moves for each. Weezing is there to handle the physical wall breakers and fairies that Zoroark and Hoopa dislike. This core would like some hazard support, and weezing doesn't like switching in on Talonflame for fear of flare blitz. I could actually image a trick-room variant of this, where Hoopa is your setter and zoroark runs dual mixed priority, but I think that would be too hard to get to work.

Help, how do I do sprites?
I like the idea of the core, but your EVs can definitely be optimized. I've seen the effectiveness of Weezing first hand, as Salemance can vouch for, so the core might work well - like you say though, a bulky water would be needed to take on Talon - maybe Slowbro?

This wasn't the point that I was making actually - Whiscash outspeeds Mega Man at +2, and one shots it with EQ:

252+ Atk Life Orb Whiscash Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 398-471 (141.6 - 167.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So there's no point in Mega Man running HP Grass, aside from for Gastrodon, Quag, or Swampert; it doesn't want to give up the valuable Ice coverage, which lets it beat Dragons, Lando-T, and Gliscor.

If it doesn't run HP Grass then it's doing nothing to Whiscash, meaning that Whiscash isn't really bothered about Intimidate users, only minorly inconvenienced by them.

I like the idea of the core, but your EVs can definitely be optimized. I've seen the effectiveness of Weezing first hand, as Salemance can vouch for, so the core might work well - like you say though, a bulky water would be needed to take on Talon - maybe Slowbro?

Yeah, disregard the actual calcs concerning mane and whiscash. I had to use the nuggetbridge calculator which had some weird set for the defaults. With a mane-lando core, however, you can force a 50:50 on the whiscash user, since EQing on mane allows lando to come in, while DDing can let mane hit. Obviously not a counter or anything, but simple is exploitable. I totally agree about HP Ice vs HP grass, but I figure if this thing gets voted through, HP grass and more importantly grass types in general will see a rise. Drought torterra definitely won't help it.

The EVs for the core I posted are out of whack. I just went with some best guess stuff, but Hoopa especially needs some tweaks to creep some of the slower fatmons.

Ya I can vouch for Weezing. Patolegend! can attest to him hating me using it too, but that's not this argument.

Weezing can take a lot of punishment and is really rally durable with its new typing. Fairies are comfortably eating for breakfast, and it enjoys eating hits from a lot of the buffed theorymons (Pato's teams especially). I have found that often I don't need pain split so flamethrower is the preferable option since I also run a mega ampharos on my team as well for wish support and well....being a fantastic fella. Could fufill a role on your team Hot dog pizza but we admittedly are using different styles so don't know how you would like running Amphy there. That's just how I went bout it. Sure mold breaker EQ can be a bitch but that's not stopping my team in the slightest

Yeah, disregard the actual calcs concerning mane and whiscash. I had to use the nuggetbridge calculator which had some weird set for the defaults. With a mane-lando core, however, you can force a 50:50 on the whiscash user, since EQing on mane allows lando to come in, while DDing can let mane hit. Obviously not a counter or anything, but simple is exploitable. I totally agree about HP Ice vs HP grass, but I figure if this thing gets voted through, HP grass and more importantly grass types in general will see a rise. Drought torterra definitely won't help it.
That scenario actually sounds like a terrible idea for the player with mega mane, because Intimidate lowers attack by 1, while Whiscash's Dragon Dance raises it by 2, and since Mega mane can't do jack shit to Whiscash, you're giving him free opportunities to set up. I don't think any of the Intimidate users give Whiscash any real trouble, as he can KO every single one of them at +1, and even set up another DD on Mega Mane and Gyarados if they switch in. Lando T's Earthquake fails to OHKO, so if priority users are gone Cash can just set up again assuming he switched in on DD, getting to +3 attack and +4 speed. Also HP Grass Mega Mane is terrible in OU right now, and unless there's been a change in policy, we aren't supposed to discuss how potential theorymons will fare in a metagame with others. We're supposed to keep the discussion on the current OU metagame, which means Whiscash set's up all over Manectric.

Whiscash has always been one of my favorite pokemon, so he's easily getting my vote. I'm a little busy right now so I'll post so more stuff about him later.

Edit: I didn't realize Simple worked for stat drops too, so yeah, intimidate users can kinda bone Whiscash. Still, at least he can beat every intimidate user.

Last edited:
That scenario actually sounds like a terrible idea for the player with mega mane, because Intimidate lowers attack by 1, while Whiscash's Dragon Dance raises it by 2, and since Mega mane can't do jack shit to Whiscash, you're giving him free opportunities to set up. I don't think any of the Intimidate users give Whiscash any real trouble, as he can KO every single one of them at +1, and even set up another DD on Mega Mane and Gyarados if they switch in. Lando T's Earthquake fails to OHKO, so if priority users are gone Cash can just set up again assuming he switched in on DD, getting to +3 attack and +4 speed. Also HP Grass Mega Mane is terrible in OU right now, and unless there's been a change in policy, we aren't supposed to discuss how potential theorymons will fare in a metagame with others. We're supposed to keep the discussion on the current OU metagame, which means Whiscash set's up all over Manectric.

Whiscash has always been one of my favorite pokemon, so he's easily getting my vote. I'm a little busy right now so I'll post so more stuff about him later.
Because of Simple, Intimidate will lower Whiscash's Atk stat by two stages, not one. Just saying. Will try to put my thoughts about this slate (a little late, but still...) tomorrow.

I'm pretty certain that simple affects negative status changes as well, so intimidate will lower whiscashs attack by two stages. Just as sticky webs will lower its speed by two stages.

Hmm ok, didn't know about that policy. It just seems strange to ignore the now 20 or so introduced theorymons, among which there are many set up sweepers. Are we also not supposed to consider meta changes due to the introduction of the single proposed mon?

Hmm ok, didn't know about that policy. It just seems strange to ignore the now 20 or so introduced theorymons, among which there are many set up sweepers. Are we also not supposed to consider meta changes due to the introduction of the single proposed mon?
If Whiscash were voted in and became a popular threat in OU, then Mega Mane would have to start running HP Grass. We can consider meta changes for each individual theorymon, but not how they would do against each other. We have to look at it like we are only introducing one new pokemon into the meta. Doing this makes discussion a lot easier since pretty much everyone here has an understanding of the OU metagame, but many people haven't actually played the theorymon metagame since it doesn't have an official ladder on PS. It does kinda seem like a waste to not include all the theorymons we've voted in, especially since we have our own viability rankings.

Of course we might be able to talk about former winners now, so hopefully Recreant will answer your question.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the effects of Intimidate, but don't forget that Whiscash can just take DD again, as it takes a hit from every Intimidate user (Mega Man, Gyara, Lando-T), and then hits them supereffectively, knocking them out at +2, with a set of DD, Waterfall, EQ, Stone Edge. Predictability is not an issue with Whiscash's bulk, though you're right, it does dislike Taunt; taunt is mostly predictable though, you know which 'mons are going to carry it. The fact that it has underwhelming stats means it's ideal for Simple, allowing it to be viable without being close to broken. It does redeem a number of it's flaws.
Yes, Whiscash is quite bulky thanks to its HP stats combined to its typing with only a 4x weakness to Grass (maybe the only things that make Simple usable on it) but, still, I don't like the fact it's quite mono-dimensional (Dragon Dance+ 3 attacks or Dragon Dance & Amnesia + STABs) and the meta doesn't want another set-up sweeper. I have to say that Whiscash is stronger and more useful than I thought but its EVs spread should be optimized to beat all the Intimidate users 1 vs 1 because Adamant Whiscash + 252 Spe EVs reaches 219 speed, one point from Defensive Landorus-T with only 8 Evs in Spe. That's to say that maybe on Whishcash in OU has to run Jolly to outspeed the Intimidate users:

252 Atk Life Orb Whiscash Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 361-429 (128.4 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Whiscash Stone Edge vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 244-289 (69.1 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(it is still a solid 2HKO with both Adamant and Jolly)
252 Atk Life Orb Whiscash Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 190-226 (49.7 - 59.1%) -- 69.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(with a Jolly nature the 2HKO is barely missed)

Whiscash may have some problems from them only if they are switched-in with Wishcash itself which starts from -2 Atk in that case.

Annoying as hell =/= boring. I think it would give Jellicent another reason to be used. I think honestly defensive sets would still run Water Absorb just 'cos it's such a $ ability when you're immune to fighting; there would be some form of mindgames there when you're facing a Specs Keldeo and you have it in the back. It could also be used now though, as a tank; there's no way TTar's switching into you, and if it pursuits it risks you not switching out and burning it while taking away 50% of its health.
I think that Serene Grace Jellicent is really boring due to its newfound ability to burn a not-Fire type physical attacker 60% of the time which seems to me not only annoying but even boring: put on it a Choice Scarf and click Scald towards a physical attacker and Sludge Bomb towards a Faerie/a tank which is annoyed by being normal Poisoned. Hex is a powerful STAB for late game cleaning. Having a 60% burn chance Scald = annoying (not to mention that's even better than Sacred Fire which is already considered strong). I think that Jellicent is truly strong and interesting (even because there are few Ghosts in the OU meta) but to see our counter to Jellicent being worn down by status 60% of the time is really boring and -potentially- ban worthy (at least a complex ban on Scald + Serene Grace).

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Praise the king.

Whiscash is cool looking, but I can't really see it running much other sets barring DDance or AmnesiaDance. Plus, it can REALLY get fucked by a VoltTurn core feat Mega Man, Lando and even Pangoro (parting shot into Lando). Sure, its powerful once it gets the ball rolling, but in a REALLY fast pased meta, a turn wasted on DDance might get in Torterra, who HARDWALLS this by the way.

I'm not even gonna talk about Cancerfish.

Judgment Mespirit is cool, but is side tracked by the HUGE array of Ghost, Dark and Steel types that populate the tier. Even though it can bring coverage, its sets are outclassed.

I always wanted to use Zoroak in OU, and now I have an excuse. Illusion mimdgames will be MUCH morr prominent, and secondary STAB priority rocks! It does gain àoã more problems though. It gains a weakness to a very common type in Flying, faires (if still alive) abaolutely DEMOLISH it and its speed tier sucks for an offensive mon in OU. Still a great mon, which I will be voting for

I personally see Mesprit as a poor man's Genesect, and not in a bad way, in a 'Genesect is broken lets tone it down to OU standards with less offence, more defence, and Mono Psychic typing' kinda way.
Like I can see Judgement being good on a lot of sets, but the sets I'm most interested in are the Scarf Pivot sets, so screw Judgement.
I mean in NU Mesprit has 2 Scarf sets, one Physically based and the other Specially based, so with Download surely it would make a great mixed Scarfer.

Lets take its Specially based Scarf set:

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty or Timid Nature (Not sure if you'd be better to forgo bulk or U-Turn power)
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

Simple you use, if you get a SpA boost, you get some nice damage out with your STAB or coverage, and if you get an Atk boost, you pivot around with an empowered U-Turn. Lastly Healing Wish is great for Healing important allies.

I could see this making a nice Volt-Turn core with a variety of things, but mainly Mega Manectric because you can use Mega Man and Messy in order to chip down the opponent, and then Healing Wish Mega Man back up for the clean had it taken any severe damage in the process of wearing down the opponent.

And cause I'm here now and haven't had time to say much else this slate, have some really random calcs:

+1 252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Staraptor: 288-339 (92.6 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Amoonguss: 396-468 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 216-255 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 338-398 (101.1 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 113-133 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 290-342 (110.6 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 0 Atk Mesprit U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam: 224-264 (89.2 - 105.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 0 Atk Mesprit U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 222-262 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 0 Atk Mesprit U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 112-132 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mesprit: 188-224 (62.4 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mesprit: 165-195 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I personally see Mesprit as a poor man's Genesect, and not in a bad way, in a 'Genesect is broken lets tone it down to OU standards with less offence, more defence, and Mono Psychic typing' kinda way.
Like I can see Judgement being good on a lot of sets, but the sets I'm most interested in are the Scarf Pivot sets, so screw Judgement.
I mean in NU Mesprit has 2 Scarf sets, one Physically based and the other Specially based, so with Download surely it would make a great mixed Scarfer.

Lets take its Specially based Scarf set:

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty or Timid Nature (Not sure if you'd be better to forgo bulk or U-Turn power)
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

Simple you use, if you get a SpA boost, you get some nice damage out with your STAB or coverage, and if you get an Atk boost, you pivot around with an empowered U-Turn. Lastly Healing Wish is great for Healing important allies.

I could see this making a nice Volt-Turn core with a variety of things, but mainly Mega Manectric because you can use Mega Man and Messy in order to chip down the opponent, and then Healing Wish Mega Man back up for the clean had it taken any severe damage in the process of wearing down the opponent.

And cause I'm here now and haven't had time to say much else this slate, have some really random calcs:

+1 252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Staraptor: 288-339 (92.6 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Amoonguss: 396-468 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 216-255 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 338-398 (101.1 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 113-133 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 290-342 (110.6 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 0 Atk Mesprit U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam: 224-264 (89.2 - 105.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 0 Atk Mesprit U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 222-262 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 0 Atk Mesprit U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 112-132 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mesprit: 188-224 (62.4 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mesprit: 165-195 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Apologies for the one-liner, but what Mega Sableye runs 0/0 in SpD? I've always known them to at least run 252 HP.

Hi everyone, we announce with heavy hearts that Celticpride is resigning from co-leader and council as a whole to pursue further goals. Thanks for all the time and effort you've given to the project as a whole, it was a joy to be working with you. n_n

I'm sure everyone is curious, but as of currently there is no new council member or co-leader. Everything is happening suddenly so we need some time to decide. In the end, there might not even be a new member, but the council will be watching posting and submission quality to see who could be ready for a chance at a council seat, so keep your posting of high levels!

--------------

Moving on, it's also time to begin voting! Here are your options, and please remember to bold your vote!

+ Download and Judgement (Credit to Jaroda for Download)

+ Serene Grace (Credit to Blumenwitz )

+ Dark / Fighting-type with Vacuum Wave (Credit to Hot dog pizza )

+ Simple (Credit to Jaroda )

Honorable Mentions list:
- Infernape + Prankster
- Tornadus + Competitive
- Noivern + Nasty Plot
- Umbreon + Unaware
- Typhlosion + Drought
- Spiritomb + Dark Aura
- Glalie + Dragon Dance
- Mega Tyranitar + Sand Force
- Umbreon + Magic Bounce
- Mega Garchomp + Weak Armor
- Jolteon + Spikes
- Thick Fat Gogoat
- Thundurus-T + Electric / Dark-typing
- Cobalion + Magnet Pull
- Miltank + Ground-type
My vote:

Zoroark + Dark / Fighting-type +Vacuum Wave

Honorable Mention:
Jolteon + Spikes

Zoroark + Dark/Fighting Typing and Vacuum Wave

Honorable Mention:
Thundy-T + Dark/Electric Typing

THE DAAAAARKNESS

T.I.A.

formerly Ticktock
Zoroark + Dark/Fighting Type + Vacuum Wave

Honorable Mention:
Infernape + Prankster

Last edited by a moderator:

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Zoroark + Dark / Fighting Type with Vacuum Wave

Honorable Mention:
Spiritomb + Dark Aura

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)