Project OU Theorymon

approved by AM
original by alexwolf
very very original by zebraiken

banner by Ssensenh

Metagame Discussion Thread
Pokemon Showdown! Room

Welcome to the Theorymon Project of 6th gen's OU, led by Recreant with a council. Here, every few days, we will be discussing a list of 4 Pokemon, all of which will have little to zero viability in OU, and all of which have an additional move / ability / typing that they didn’t originally have. After all the theorymons have been sufficiently discussed, the voting will commence.

How will this list of Pokemon be created each time? The council will be accepting ideas from the community and may also put some of our own ideas into a relatively small slate (4 Pokemon) each time. Every Pokemon that wins on each voting will be recorded in the archive, together with the name of the person who submitted it. All submissions will be sent to the council, via VM or PM.

Here are the active council members. The council helps lead discussion and will accept theorymons, and are a figure of authority here. If you are a recognized contributor to the thread, you may earn a spot in the council.

Recreant (Leader)
Akumeoy
GnralLao
Isa Simple
Valmanway

Submission Rules
  • Do not submissions in this or the metagame thread. Please send all submissions to the council members
  • Don't suggest changes about Pokemon that are already pretty viable in OU. Generally B- and lower are fair game, though exceptions up to B rank can be made if they are incredibly unique.
  • Don’t suggest changes that make or may make a Pokemon broken.
  • In a similar vein, avoid suggesting mindless buffs, such as Pure Power, Protean, or Magic Bounce. Higher power moves, such as Boomburst Meloetta or Shell Smash Lapras, are also frowned upon.
  • Only theorymon ideas that bring positives to the OU metagame and have useful implications will be picked, which means no Huge Power on random Pokemon and other similar buffs.
  • Competitive viability is more important than flavour. This project is all about giving things new moves, typings, and abilities that change how they work, and not all of them are going to be perfectly in line with their in-game identities.

+ Vital Spirit
+ Normal / Ghost typing
+ Poison / Steel typing
+ Magic Guard
+ Technician
+ Sand Stream

+ Parting Shot and Dark / Fairy-typing

+ Protean

+ Defiant

+ Lightningrod
+ Volt Switch
+ Simple

+ Wish
+ Sucker Punch
+ Electric / Steel typing (Flash Cannon replaces Air Slash)
+ Roost
+ Focus Blast
+ Fur Coat
+ Dragon / Steel typing
+ Water Absorb
+ Recover
+ Thousand Arrows
+ Extreme Speed
+ Sand Rush
+ Bug / Ground typing
+ Gale Wings
+ Ground / Fairy typing
+ Trace
+ Poison Heal
+ Dragon Dance
+ Dragon / Ghost-typing and Analytic
+ Ghost / Fighting-type and Drain Punch
+ Drought
+ Dark / Poison-typing and Regenerator
+ Dark / Fighting-typing and Vacuum Wave
+ Spikes
+ Magnet Pull

+ Seed Flare
+ Thick Fat

+ Rattled and Moonblast
+ Iron Barbs and Recover

+ Volt Switch and Regenerator
+ Steel / Flying-typing and Flash Cannon
+ Prankster
+ U-turn and Trick Room
+ Fairy / Ghost-typing
+ Bug / Ground-typing and Earth Power

last slate's winner(s):
+ Desolate Land and Fire / Ground-typing

Votes:

Staraptor + Flying / Fighting-typing: 4
Lanturn + Drizzle and Wish: 6
Torkoal + Desolate Land and Fire / Ground-typing: 10
Armaldo +Regenerator and Head Smash: 4

Current Slate:

Sample Teams

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

Porygon-Z @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

ha i got you there's nothing here

by astroboy
Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Rock Polish
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Mild Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog / U-turn

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 28 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Facade

i wanted to build around magnet rise cobalion, which uses megalix as set-up fodder, alongside some that that appreciates lix removed, so my first pick was diancie because holy jesus this thing is scary in theorymon. i preferred rp>protect because it absolutely bonezones offense, as it typically relies on thundys twaveor priority to beat set-up sweepers, which diancie can shrug off (bar azus jet). goodra was chosen for the next slot as my check to fire-types, sceptile, moltres, waters, and pretty much every special attacker. moltres handles steels that revenge diancie like scizor, beat grass types, and absorbs the status that plagues coba the team. garchomp sets rocks, provides a secondary entei check, and takes advantage of coba trapping skarm+ferro, albeit theyre uncommon in this fast-paced meta. while garchomps spread might seem weird, it lets it take two earth powers from mega camerupt, and ohko after rocks in return, while the remaining evs are dumped into defense to take physical hits better. av azu was my last choice, acting as a keldeo check, a kyurem check, and a rp diancie check. you could do cb but i dont like being taken advantage of by camel and without it this team is super keld weak. azu also appreciates coba trapping steels.

defog or u-turn is really a toss-up on how you want to play this team. defog lets you get rid of spikes, which easily wear down this team, and provides excellent hazard control for an offensive team alongside diancie. on the other hand, u turn could be used to lure in heatran and trap it with cobalion.

Good Cores:

by GnralLao
Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Seed Flare
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt

With Seed Flare, M-Sceptile can continuously pressure opposing teams (especially offense builds), and even more so if it lands a SpDef drop, due to its excellent Speed stat and immunity to Thunder Wave. Unfortunately, it's still prone to most priority hits like M-Scizor's Bullet Punch and Talonflame's Brave Bird, and has trouble going past Grass- and Fairy-type mons.

That's where Heatran comes in. Heatran performs well against fatter builds by inflicting burns, Taunting and Toxic-ing opposing mons. Specifically, Heatran takes care of a bunch of mons that includes (but doesn't limit to) M-Scizor, Talonflame, bulky Grass-types (as long as they don't have Earthquake) and Fairy-types, all of which can trouble M-Sceptile (even then, landing a SpDef drop on the switch can force out its would-be checks). I use this spread mainly to outspeed M-Scizor and get a surprise KO before it can use a SD-boosted Superpower.

In return, M-Sceptile deals with pretty much all Water-type mons (Rotom-W deserves a special mention as Volt Switch gives it a SpAtk boost), most Ground-types, Dragon-types and other key threats like M-Diancie, Tyranitar and the three main trappers (Magnezone, Cobalion and Dugtrio).

Of course, this core isn't perfect as it needs additional support against Fighting-types and E-Speeders, but then again, that's what the rest of the team is for! Ü

by Recreant
fair weather friend (Swanna) @ Life Orb / Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Roost
- Hurricane
- Tailwind

circles (Terrakion) @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head / Substitute

Swanna is a pretty cool Pokemon and really takes advantage of last ditch Tailwind. Flying-types in general pair up pretty well with Terrakion, as they can take care of bulky Grass-types like Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss that Terrakion can have issues breaking through if they manage to catch it unboosted. Swanna also has Scald to defeat Ground-types such as Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Gliscor, even though the two aren't the most common threats anymore. Honestly, Swanna's ability to simply click Scald against the opposing team really does a good job at wearing down checks (especially Mega Scizor, Granbull, and Skarmory), and a Flying-type STAB is just a cherry on top.

When I was looking at Swanna and I saw Tailwind, I thought "wallbreaker" and Terrakion was the first thing to come to mind. Choice Band is usually the better choice for a lot of teams just due to its immediate power, but with Swanna's priority Hurricane and Tailwind, the latter giving it a fighting (puns) chance against offensive teams, it becomes a lot easier to set up and win games with Swords Dance sets (it also takes care of Keldeo so you don't have to risk the Speed tie, which is pretty cool considering how good Keldeo is in theorymon right now). Terrakion breaks down certain Steel-types, mainly Aggron, Empoleon, Bronzong, and Ferrothorn, thanks to its crazy powerful Close Combats. Terrakion also crushes specially-oriented walls such as Chansey and Goodra. Yeah in the end both do an excellent job of just smashing through each others checks that I can't believe this core hasn't been brought up before.

The core doesn't really like Mega Latias and Clefable, but there are a lot of partners which can easily pressure them enough for an unboosted 2HKO with Stone Edge. A lot of offensive checks, mainly Mega Diancie or Latios and whatever, are really pressured once Tailwind goes up to the point where they can barely be considered checks. Lots of slashes here and there but it really depends on the team for which ones we'd actually use in the end. :toast:

by Hot dog pizza
Zoroark @ Dread Plate / Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Fire
- Nasty Plot / U-Turn

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Dark/Fighting Zoroark and M-Meta have pretty fantastic type synergy, and coupled with Zoroark's ability, these two can be a real nightmare for opposing teams to deal with. Metagross deals with the fairies, birds and (physical) fighting types that bother Zoroark, while on the other end of things, Zoroark readily dispatches the Dark and ghost types that forces Metagross out. Zoroark breaks down physical walls, while Metagross punches through pretty much anything else. Notably, both of these pokemon share a rock resistance, which means that it's difficult for the opponent to determine which one has switched in. This can be exploited to lure in the partner's counter/check, which when done correctly will allow the other to clean up. U-turn is also a very nice option on Zoroark, since you can pair this core with a slow pivot (that preferably has U-turn as well) to allow Zoroark and Meta to get in safe, and make your opponent go insane with trying to guess what is really in.

by HailFall
Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Pursuit

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Focus Blast

Mega Absol's insane attacking stats along with unresisted STAB and a great speed tier make it a very threatening mon to face. Unfotunately, Mega Absol is frail and lacks the capability to take on pokemon like Scizor without getting bodied by Bullet Punch. Keldeo solves this by giving a solid answer to steel types like Mega Aggron which fearlessly tank Mega Absol's hits as well as a solid wallbreaker to soften the opposing team up for Absol to clean. Focus Blast is the preferred filler on Keldeo in order to cleanly OHKO Mega Aggron without any prior damage, but any of Keldeo's other fillers can work too. Mega Absol is Swords Dance to act as a wincon and late game sweeper, but Pursuit is also an option to trap Latis for Keldeo. Overall a pretty effective core and I think its a good starting point for an offensive team.

by Recreant
Lethe (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Moonblast
- Nasty Plot

white noise (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

oh look a houndoom core what a surprise
I've hyped up this core a lot, even outside of theorymon, and it performs even better here. It normally has Keldeo as well, but with Moonblast, a lot of Pokemon Keldeo checks, Houndoom can handle, but it's still a very strong teammate. Thanks to Rattled, Mega Houndoom makes a fantastic partner for Latias, as it is able to switch into moves like Knock Off from Bisharp and Weavile, gaining a Speed boost in the process (has to rely on being Mega Evolved first sadly but that's not too difficult). Mega Houndoom also defeats Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Skarmory, and Mega Sableye for Latias.

On the flipside, Latias is able to defeat Pokemon such as Keldeo, Manaphy, Garchomp, and Mega Venusaur while also providing Defog and Healing Wish support (allowing you to be more reckless with Houndoom), which, in my opinion, makes it a better partner than Latios. Roost can be used in place of Defog if you already have Defog support on the team, but I feel like Healing Wish is pretty much mandatory and can really turn the tides of battle if your sweeper is brought back up to full.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
ayyye we're back alive

Klingthing + Technician + Bulldoze: ah looks golden, for now i dont see any problem with a shift gear / gear grind / bulldoze / (wild charge | hp ice | return) with Life Orb or Lum Berry. i guess hp fire can be used for ferro, but then you have 5 other slots for that thing anyway. for now i dont see anything wrong with this and imo it's a big threat.

Cobalion + Magnet Pull: this can beat the said threat talk of irony. for this i guess a set of sub / sd / cc / (stone edge | iron head | taunt) would be cool, trapping ferro and draining the soul of the opp. for mono attacker ttar+exca would be nice partners to take out clef and ghosts and latis

dunno what torterra and mismagius would do(imo mismagius was better off with just baton pass but idk)

(damn this was too short)

Klinklang @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpA / 16 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Bulldoze
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Wild Charge / Return

Those speed EVs allow it to outspeed jolly base 150s iirc at +2, while 76 SpA with Life Orb ohko's max hp lando-t after rocks. max ada at +1 can ohko bulky chomp with gear grind after a spike(87% chance). rest in hp.
Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head / Stone Edge / Taunt

couldnt think of any custom benchmarks for this one so just went max/max. Sub/sd set up on ferro and skarm. cc to knock out said steel type when done setting up, and last attack is a toss up depending on team support. If talon and skarm arent an issue, iron head is cool, if clef and skarm arent an issue, stone edge is cool, if skarm is an issue, taunt it cool.

hope i didnt leave anything unexplained/vague.

Last edited:
Cobalion looks fantastic. Being able to trap Bisharp and take nothing on the switch except for Low Kick is amazing, and unlike Magnezone it doesn't require a choice scarf as it outspeed Scizor, Skarmory, and Bisharp naturally. It can use these all for setup bait as well and potentially late game clean, along with being a reliable rocker and pivot. Definitely a threat for sure.

I've never really liked two buffs to a mon and I feel the same way about Klinklang. Bulldoze would have been a big enough buff in hitting Heatran, and giving it a 150 base power move in Gear Grind is too much imo. Anyway, Klinklang is looking like a major threat, with not much that wants to switch in to that Gear Grind. Skarmory fears Wild Charge, Rotom gets smacked by Return, and Heatran by Bulldoze. Nice submission.

Not much to say about the others, but a powered up synthesis for Torterra is pretty cool. If someone would like to explain what Mismagius would do that would also be fantastic.

Yay, another one of mine got slated! :]

Will posts thoughts when iI return from vacation.

- Technician is a pretty strong pick up for Klingklang, turns Gear Grind into the equivalent of a 150 BP attack, which is pretty ridiculous. Bulldoze takes advantage of this pretty well too, it's almost as good as Earthquake factoring Technician and gives Klingklang some sorely needed coverage. With Shift Gear and Wild Charge, this gives Klingklang a full movepool that isn't filler, which is really sweet. It still won't be able to break things like Ferrothorn anytime soon, which is a bit problematic, but it's still a huge step in the right direction. Just for a measure of power, Adamant Gear Grind 2HKOes TankChomp after Rocks without any boosts. Looking forward to this one.
- This is pretty much what you'd want from a weather setter; strong recovery, good defenses, sets up Stealth Rocks, and has a variety of other ways to support it's team. Makes for a pretty good counter to Excadrill, which is pretty sick. It's been a while since full sun was a thing, so I'm uncertain how well a dedicated playstyle would function, but it seems very tempting to try out a Rain HO style sun team. This might also be worth trying out if your team has issues with Sand Offense.
- Don't really like this much. I've never really liked trapping in mons, and this one isn't really that threatening tbh. It's decent at removing offensive Steels, but falls on its face against most of the defensive ones, who just don't care about Close Combat enough because of Cobalion's weak offenses. Given how awesome the rest of the slate is, this is the disappointing one for me.
- Veeeerry cool. STAB Volt Switch is always a great option, and backing it up with STAB Shadow Ball and Will-o-Wisp to deter Ground type switch ins is really sweet. It's like an offensive variant of Rotom-W, trading defensive prowess for stallbreaking ability. Mismagius also gets a bunch of cool options in that last slot, being able to use Taunt, Heal Bell, Destiny Bond, Magic Coat, or Trick, so it can help out with a lot of different things.
Mismagius @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Destiny Bond

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- (option from above that isn't Trick)

I know a lot of people are gonna look past Mismagius, but I'm definitely considering it for my pick. It seems like a really solid mon that has quite a few uses.

Anyhow, excellent slate this week, there are quite a few strong contenders here, but nothing over the top like Arcanine from last week :)

edit: klingklang's sprite broke, fixed now

Last edited:
+ Bulldoze and Technician:
I remember submitting something similar to this, so I can get behind it. Now your Gear Grinds are boosted even more in power, and with coverage to get past Steel types, Klinklang can be a pretty threatening sweeper. Though I can see it having some slight 4MSS with wanting Gear Grind, Shift Gear, Return, Substitute, and Bulldoze, and deciding between Life Orb and Leftovers could be a bit difficult too, it still poses as a big threat.

+ Drought:
Could I get some reasoning as to why this was slated? I can't see Solar Beam being too strong coming off of 75 SpA, and while Synthesis is nice and all, you have very limited PP on it with only 8. Plus most Water types carry Ice coverage or have other STAB that screws over Torterra, so it's not like you are checking those too well.

+ Magnet Pull:
Looks pretty solid. You can trap most of the Steel types in the tier with its high speed plus STAB Close Combat, and thanks to your high 91/129 physical defense, you are sure to live at least one hit these Steel types could dish out. Plus with the popularity of stuff like Weavile, checking that as well is a big plus.

+ Ghost/Electric typing and Volt Switch:
Not bad. Good STAB combo coming off of 105 SpA, along with Nasty Plot, 105 Spe, and now the ability to pivot out vs its checks is great. Though Mismagius' previous problems are still a thing, with being frail, and while Electric typing lets it gain resists to Flying and Steel, and Levitate lets you dodge your Ground weakness, it still isn't great.

If someone would like to explain what Mismagius would do that would also be fantastic.
Mismagius + Ghost/Electric-typing + Volt Switch was actually my idea. Here's the reasoning behind it:

With its new typing, Mismagius is able to outspeed and KO dangerous threats such as Manaphy, Azumarill (depending on the set), (Mega) Gyarados, Keldeo (takes a beating in the process, but still wins 1 vs 1), Talonflame (also takes a beating from it), Thundurus, Tornadus-T, MegaZard-Y, M-Pinsir (to some extent) and more with Thunderbolt. Furthermore, due to Levitate, its new typing gives it three new resistances to Steel-, Electric- and Flying-type moves (watch out for Excadrill, M-Gyarados and Kyurem-B though). Also, even though it doesn't have the best defensive stats (60/60/105), it still is able to tank some Volt Switches and U-turns. Speaking of Volt Switch, giving Mismagius this move would unable it to grab momentum and deal chip damage to the opposing team. Volt Switch also pairs well with Levitate, making Mismagius immune to (Toxic) Spikes, which makes it a nice hit-and-run attacker. Being immune to paralysis is also pretty cool. Mismagius would be weak to Pursuit trappers like Bisharp and Tyranitar (not to mention pretty much any Sucker Punch user), but once these mons are taken out, it'll have a great time wearing out the opposing team and, if possible, finishing it off. Oh and just like Tressed mentionned, multiple sets would work with that double buff.

Some calcs with the mentioned threats Mismagius deals with using the set below (probably isn't the best set, but I think it still has some potential):

Mismagius @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Manaphy: 190-225 (52 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 380-450 (104.1 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 181-214 (69.3 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 458-540 (119.2 - 140.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 300-354 (74.8 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 306-360 (92.4 - 108.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mismagius: 186-220 (71.2 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Hydro Pump can OHKO though...)
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mismagius: 171-202 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 416-492 (128.7 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 344-408 (95.8 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO (Scarf sets does very well against offensive variants)

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mismagius: 88-105 (33.7 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 229-270 (76.5 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 278-330 (83.7 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 338-398 (113.8 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 188-222 (72 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 147-174 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 324-384 (119.5 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Scarf sets will guarantee Mismagius of moving first, forcing M-Pinsir to use Quick Attack while Mismagius OHKOes it with Thunderbolt)

ight so since i see a bit of conufsion on Torterra, ill clarify it.

Drought Torterra

One of the theroymon pasts (Alexwolf thread), Torterra was always a favorite since he was of the last bunch to come in. Basically he is the defensive Sun user that Sun never really had. He is perfectly capable of countering Sand offense in most scenarios as their Golden boy Exca is stopped by Defensive Torterra and only Ice Beam/Fan Tyranitar/Hippowdon could punish him for anything worthwhile.

He also destroys most of that team by itself as with STAB Grass/Ground coverage. Now what of rain teams you ask? Well his Grass STAB punishes them too! Just he will have to be very careful with the amount of ice beam they carry, usually making his ideal switchin on the guaranteed water moves (hitting for so low with sun and grass resist) and against Kabutops.

The best part about this fella is just how he himself abuses Sun in his recovery. As seen by Mega Venu, Synthesis can be hit or miss, but with Sun, the Earth turtle is recovering 75% of his health to be more of a defensive nuisance.

This is not for an individual mon buff. This is more a buff to help a mon and a playstyle as a whole. Sure it may get looked over by all the dang firepower we add, but dont think of it as a buff to him itself (like Froggyboy and thinking Tor will spam Solarbeam).

Other news ill comment on others but Torterra (my friends will recall my more famous variant from Mono, Yum!!!, from the replays on the site of him screwing over Flying monos) is a favorite of mine and had to back up my boy (Yum!!!, no relation my other boy Yeah!!! (ask other friends of mine from Gen 5 mono) cause feel bad bout seeing this guy get misconcieved as a bad choice.

Klingklang: This looks to be threatening, and as happy as I am to see a fast steel-type attacker, I have to wonder if this is too large of a buff. As everyone knows, Gear Grind is now a very powerful STAB, with Bulldoze allowing it a way to beat Heatran. Gear Grind and Shift Gear are obviously a necessity, and in this meta I would argue that a way around Heatran is also a requirement. This leaves the last move slot between Return and Wild Charge. Sub is also a cool option if your team has certain threats covered.

Torterra: Makes for what I see as sun offense's version of Tyranitar, which is something fat that can set the weather, has a few fun supportive options, and can check opposing weather users (well not rain offense in TTar's case). Here's what it can do: set up dual screens, get rocks up, safeguard (why not), leech seed support, block, captivate, etc. obviously the first couple are the most notable, but all of its choices can help sun-abusing teammates to sweep. Alternatively, rock polish is a thing, and its offensive movepool is great, but I'm not sure what Torterra has to make use of Drought offensively. What did catch my attention was growth, which Torterra could conceivably use to break down defensive teams. I can see a set of Growth/HP Fire/ Wood Hammer/ EQ being used to run through slow FWG cores. This seems like a solid candidate.

Cobalion: Similar to Magnezone in its use of being an offensive trapper, but has a niche as pulling a defensive role. It basically does everything Magnezone does, albeit not quite as efficiently. It has more trouble breaking Skarm but can cripple it with volt switch. However, Cobalion is able to check Pokemon like Weavile that threaten Dragons, whereas Magnezone still can't safely switch into Knock Off's. Cobalion doesn't need to be choiced to be effective, as it already speed-ties with Keldeo and has access to SD and Taunt. If it doesn't need to remove any steels during a game, it can still makes use of itself as a bulky pivot or cleaner with SD. I think Band will be considered, but a stallbreaker set with Taunt/Sub/Iron Head/Sacred Sword (to avoid the def. drops) will also be viable. Also noteworthy are Magnet Rise, Poison Jab (for Azu), Twave, Psych Up, Rock Polish, Stealth Rock, Reflect, and more.

Mismagius: I'm very excited for this one. GnralLao basically sums up what this can do, so check out his post. Works like Cobalion in being a defensive pivot thanks to its typing, and can fare pretty well against common threats in ORAS. Personally, I like that its speed tier is fast enough to run Specs, but can seriously threaten offensive builds when using Scarf.

Tl;dr, all of these submissions seem usable and vote-worthy, hopefully the ones that don't win make it to the Honorable mentions list eventually.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
k before i get into this, i'll let it be known that i dont get the flavor of misi at all, so if someone could explain that to me, thanks
With its new typing, Mismagius is able to outspeed and KO dangerous threats such as Manaphy
can't even come in on a scald as it does 40-45%, ttar is a common partner for mana, which comes in for free now. As for revenge-kill, mana easily lives a hit with wacan berry and ohko's with +3 surf.
Azumarill (depending on the set)
can only revenge kill if not bd, even then banded aqua jet does a lot
(Mega) Gyarados
lol you're not switching in on this, and whenever you do it's most likely gonna be at +1
Keldeo (takes a beating in the process, but still wins 1 vs 1)
scald is an almost certain 2hko from sub+cm or scarf, and hydro is similarly an almost certain ohko from specs, so even while revenge killing, you'll end up with at most half a misi
Talonflame (also takes a beating from it)
only the slow, spdef versions. the more offensive ones do 81.9 - 96.9% with flare blitz
Thundurus
relying on thundy not carrying knock off, feasible i guess
Tornadus-T
almost always carries knock off, else it can just u-turn out
MegaZard-Y
rk's ok
M-Pinsir (to some extent)
relying on winning a speed-tie

Furthermore, due to Levitate, its new typing gives it three new resistances to Steel-, Electric- and Flying-type moves (watch out for Excadrill, M-Gyarados and Kyurem-B though).
It's still 2hko'd by Iron Head from Exca, and you can't assume to get a misi in for free against a M-Gyara without considering that it's at +1.
Also, even though it doesn't have the best defensive stats (60/60/105), it still is able to tank some Volt Switches and U-turns.
While it may be able to tank a Volt Switch, you just lost momentum in the process, same for U-turn.
Speaking of Volt Switch, giving Mismagius this move would unable it to grab momentum and deal chip damage to the opposing team. Volt Switch also pairs well with Levitate, making Mismagius immune to (Toxic) Spikes, which makes it a nice hit-and-run attacker. Being immune to paralysis is also pretty cool. Mismagius would be weak to Pursuit trappers like Bisharp and Tyranitar (not to mention pretty much any Sucker Punch user), but once these mons are taken out, it'll have a great time wearing out the opposing team and, if possible, finishing it off. Oh and just like Tressed mentionned, multiple sets would work with that double buff.
All this is fine but doesn't all this make it a slower, weaker Gengar with better SpDef and resists that come with the Electric typing, which aren't even that useful except when you're vs. say M-Manectric. To me it's just a slightly different Gengar, and im not sold on it yet.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Our winner is:
Mega Latios + Dragon / Ghost and Analytic!

The vote count was a bit short this time around, but for good reason!
Dragon / Ghost + Analytic Latios: 21
Electric / Dark Thundurus-T: 10 (This shall be joining the list of honorable mentions!)
Normal / Fire typing + Swords Dance Arcanine: 2
Dragon Dance Luxray: 6
Who saw this coming at the start of the slate? Honestly? Zero to hero in no time!

Arcanine, your day will come. One day. Some day.

Thoughts on the new slate:

+ Technician and Bulldoze (Credit to Brawl MK )

I really like this - as mentioned before, Klang's coverage lets it hurt what its STAB and Bulldoze don't cover, and Shift Gear makes it really threatening really quickly. Its tasty speed tier also allows it to outspeed Sand Rush driller after a grind.

252+ Atk Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 240-284 (75.2 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 270-320 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Would be nice to see a rise in Breloom/Conk as a result.

Twice the chance to crit, and breaks sashes/Multiscale. Like it a lot!
+ Drought (Credit to YouAreOutOfMy5 )

Yes please. PLEASE! This forces Toed/TTar to run speed, as even Adamant outspeeds standard 96 speed toed, and then this happens:

252+ Atk Torterra Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 482-570 (125.8 - 148.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Torterra Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 258-306 (64 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tasty. With excellent recovery it can be a fantastic tank a la Venusaur, while giving sun teams rocks, a neutrality to water, and great coverage. It has impressive bulk when invested, and synergises pretty well defensively with sun abusers apart from Venusaur.

+ Magnet Pull

My suggestion, so I'll defend it:

- Don't really like this much. I've never really liked trapping in mons, and this one isn't really that threatening tbh. It's decent at removing offensive Steels, but falls on its face against most of the defensive ones, who just don't care about Close Combat enough because of Cobalion's weak offenses. Given how awesome the rest of the slate is, this is the disappointing one for me.
See it as a steel trapper that can get Heatran:

252 Atk Life Orb Cobalion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 377-447 (97.9 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

It also has SD + CM, and with substitute turns Ferro into a complete liability for the team, especially with its great physical bulk and speed tier.

252 SpA Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 204-240 (61 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Should have suggested MP + Aura Sphere, haha.

+ Electric / Ghost with Volt Switch

I think this is pretty cool - it could be a great hit and run attacker, or status and hex everything in sight. Still think + Fairy would have been better though!

This slate is really good, and I'm really not sure which I want to win.

k before i get into this, i'll let it be known that i dont get the flavor of misi at all, so if someone could explain that to me, thanks
can't even come in on a scald as it does 40-45%, ttar is a common partner for mana, which comes in for free now. As for revenge-kill, mana easily lives a hit with wacan berry and ohko's with +3 surf.
can only revenge kill if not bd, even then banded aqua jet does a lot
lol you're not switching in on this, and whenever you do it's most likely gonna be at +1
scald is an almost certain 2hko from sub+cm or scarf, and hydro is similarly an almost certain ohko from specs, so even while revenge killing, you'll end up with at most half a misi
only the slow, spdef versions. the more offensive ones do 81.9 - 96.9% with flare blitz
relying on thundy not carrying knock off, feasible i guess
almost always carries knock off, else it can just u-turn out
rk's ok
relying on winning a speed-tie

All this is fine but doesn't all this make it a slower, weaker Gengar with better SpDef and resists that come with the Electric typing, which aren't even that useful except when you're vs. say M-Manectric. To me it's just a slightly different Gengar, and im not sold on it yet.
Frankly, I would never directly switch Mismagius against pretty much anything due to its frailty. All the calcs I provided were in a 1 vs 1 situation without any boost on either side (bar M-Pinsir's Quick Attack) just to show how well Mismagius could check those threats. As for the flavor,... Poltergeist? I don't know. We play a game where bulls can summon Blizzards and rats can shoot out Thunderbolts (oh and Pikachu can learn Fly!). Flavor is just a bonus.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
It's all about the bonus tho \o/
well my point was that even in 1v1 situations, it isn't revenge-killing them ideally, taking sooooo much in the process, or just losing in a couple examples of yours. Atm im trying to make a bulky set for it but it's so tough when everyone's telling you fairy/ghost was better ;;
for spread im currently on 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe Timid to outspeed jolly diggersby if that's a thing. if not, we can stick with base 70s i guess, for which 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe Bold is good

Bulldoze+Technician Klinklang: I feel like some aren't fully aware of what this thing does after a Shift Gear.
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 268-320 (88.1 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Basically, Shift Gear straight up kills everything that doesn't resist it, and it doesn't even care about sturdy or sashes.
Fortunately, there are a lot of electric/fire/water/steel types in OU. Unfortunately, bulldoze beats 3/4's of those, and Gear Grind can still muscle through some of the less bulky water types.
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 218-258 (59.7 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 154-183 (52.2 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Also, a +2 Speed Klinklang doesn't need to worry about very many things hitting it first, so only things that can resist a Gear Grind can hope to stop it. There are two few things that can handle this kind of threat, so even though it is flavorful and cool, I do not want to see this. Please, don't let this make honorable mentions.
Magnet Pull Cobalion: I don't particularly like saturating theorymon land with trappers, but this one is acceptable; even if that is only because the other things on this slate are just so appalling. It gives a trapper that is not magnezone a chance to do something magnezone doesn't do by checking more non-steel types.
Drought Torterra: This has some notable advantages in the ability to check opposing weather setters, but as a weather, sun falls right behind hail when it comes to uselessness. Sun has some things going for it, but it gives its sweepers additional vulnerability to fire, and as sweepers, grass types tend to fall short of where they used to be, especially with Talonflame running around. It certainly helps sun for this to exist, but it just isn't enough.
Electric/Ghost Volt Switch Mismagius: Did we start taking UU theorymon submissions here? Mismagius has no place in OU. Want a fast Ghost type? Gengar is far better. Want a fast Electric Type? Thundurus. 105 Special Attack isn't very good, especially when you take into account that it only has a base 105 speed to work with, AND it is frailer than many of the faster threats in OU. I liked using Mismagius in UU during BW, but I learned that Mismagius simply cannot function in a metagame that so regularly outpaces it.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe OR 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Timid Nature OR Bold
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Pain Split

this is what i cooked up, should beat talon 1v1 (i hope it does, theory-battling was too much for my dizzy brain) first spread outpseeds jolly diggersby (i was told it exists o.o), while the second spread outspeeds base 70s like bisharp. beats sand rush exca unless it's at +2, tho ofc recovery with pain split is very unreliable. Also it just LOVES hippo a lot.

I think it's worth pointing out that there are a few things that can still handle Klinklang. Quagsire still gives zero fucks about it, Mega Slowbro can tank it even if it carries Wild Charge (to put things in perspective, it needs to SG twice before it even has a chance of 2HKOing, and even then it's a very slim chance), and Ferrothorn walls it unless it carries... wait, what was that?

i guess hp fire can be used for ferro
Actually, that's not such a bad idea, considering the fact that HP is boosted by Technician as well. Here's a set I came up with off the top of my head:

Klinklang @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power Fire

Relevant Calc:

4 SpA Life Orb Technician Klinklang Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 198-234 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Of course, this gives ol' Klink far less longevity, given the lack of defensive investment and Life Orb recoil, so it'd be best saved for late game sweeping.

Overall, I really like this submission. Seems to strike the perfect balance where it's really good, but not overpowered.

EDIT: Actually, I think 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe is an even better spread. The speed EVs give it just enough to outspeed base 108 scarfers, and the rest can be piled into bulk.

Last edited:
Reactions: MK
Quagsire still gives zero fucks about it.
Your mention of HP fire made me think of the other relevant KO's that Klinklang gets using the various HP's. Here's a few I found:

4 SpA Technician Klinklang Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 164-196 (47.8 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Technician Klinklang Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 196-232 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Technician Klinklang Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 276-328 (70 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Technician Klinklang Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 228-272 (53.5 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Technician Klinklang Hidden Power Grass vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 180-216 (49.1 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This mostly shows that Klinklang can get a few surprise KO's if these opposing mons are weakened. HP Grass makes for a fun lure, but HP fire is probably better. Keep in mind that all of these calcs are with lefties, not life orb. So Klinklang can actually be much stronger, depending on what you run on it.

Using Blumenwitz's alternative set, you get 80 extra EV's, which he placed in HP. However, placing them in special attack and running life orb allows for this:

80 SpA Life Orb Technician Klinklang Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 169-200 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

80 SpA Life Orb Technician Klinklang Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 187-221 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Klingklangklong + Technician + Bulldoze: what a great sweeper this will be! Now that Gear Grind hits at a whooping 150BP (225 with STAB!), very few things will want to switch into Klinklang, even less after a Shift Gear boost. Bulldoze also getting a boost is pretty neat, now being almost as strong as Earthquake, and its secondary effect can be useful at times. Furthermore, since OU's Defiant mons are either KOed with little prior damage (Bisharp) or immune to it (Thundurus), it means that Bulldoze's stat lowering effect cannot be taken advantage of in any way (bar Trick Room, but then again, Shift Gear already screws it up).

Some mons that could effectively stop Klinklang's sweep would be Rotom-W (if no Return and still only does half with it after a boost), Skarmory (if no Wild Charge), Quagsire (in all cases), Ferrothorn (in all cases) and TankChomp (in all cases). The two latter mons counter Klinklang by their mere presence: due to Iron Barbs/Rough Skin, Rocky Helmet and its own LO recoil, Klinklang would lose about 68% of its max HP when using Gear Grind, which is a contact move, on either of them.

Also, here are some calcs of what Klinklang can do after one Shift Gear boost using the set below:

Klinklang @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Bulldoze
- Wild Charge / Substitute

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mega Altaria: 656-770 (185.8 - 218.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Bulldoze vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 320-377 (107.7 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 514-608 (130.7 - 154.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Klinklang Wild Charge vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 351-413 (96.1 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 16 Def Klinklang: 105-124 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 530-624 (138 - 162.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Bulldoze vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 525-619 (145.4 - 171.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(If Exca were to have Air Baloon instead...)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 328-388 (90.8 - 107.4%) -- approx. 43.8% chance to OHKO (about 68.8% chance to OHKO after SR) (additionally, Klinklang at +2 outspeeds Adamant Exca in the sand!)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Klinklang Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 322-382 (97.2 - 115.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Klinklang Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 382-450 (118.2 - 139.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 312-370 (97.8 - 115.9%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 460-540 (169.7 - 199.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 530-624 (176 - 207.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Bulldoze vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 247-291 (82 - 96.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (it gets OHKOed back by Hammer Arm though...)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 330-390 (108.5 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (wut?)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 268-320 (88.1 - 105.2%) -- approx. 18.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR) (WUT!?)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 44+ Def Scizor: 190-226 (55.3 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 294-346 (98.3 - 115.7%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 530-624 (164 - 193.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Klinklang Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 426-504 (143.4 - 169.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 266-314 (89.5 - 105.7%) -- approx. 25% chance to OHKO (if no Wild Charge)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 312-370 (88.1 - 104.5%) -- approx. 18.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 478-564 (149.8 - 176.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 440-518 (108.9 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Klinklang Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 239-283 (60.6 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Klinklang Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Slowbro: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Klinklang Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 400-473 (152.6 - 180.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 250-296 (95.4 - 112.9%) -- approx. 87.5% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR) (if no Wild Charge)

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 592-702 (146.8 - 174.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (almost guaranteed OHKO even before a boost!)

As you can see, Klinklang becomes a monster after a single Shift Gear and doesn't actually need Return for coverage. In fact, Wild Charge only has a couple of targets and I could see Sub being the most used move in the last moveslot. The only problem with Klinklang would be to find the right moment and time to setup and sweep, but with a decent Def stat, it should be so hard to do. Anyway, that's my take on Klinklang (those HP variants seem kinda cool, btw!).

New thread, new slate! I guess I'll give my first impressions of the current slate:

Technician Klinklank + Bulldoze
This seems a nice addition. With moves like Shift Gear and Gear Grind, this Pokémon is capable to counter Substitute users and Sturdy, which can turn it into a menacing threat, also thanks to the newly obtained Bulldoze. However, that doesn't mean that this clockwork is uncounterable. A moveset of Shift Gear/Gear Grind/Wild Charge/Bulldoze can be checked by a decent amount of Pokémon. Here are some examples:
252+ Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 282-334 (95.5 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Bulldoze vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 131-155 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO

4 SpA Mega Slowbro Scald vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 124-147 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Klinklang Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 164-195 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Basically Slowbro can tank it and let the recoil caused by Life Orb and Wild Charge wear down Klinklank, before potentially destroying or burning it with Scald.

0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 240-284 (81.3 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 350-416 (83.3 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I must admit that's quite brutal, considering that we're talking about TankChomp, but the land shark is capable to revenge kill that mass of mechanisms after doing chip damage with Rough Skin.

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 170-202 (57.6 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Klinklang Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 113-135 (32.8 - 39.2%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO

Keep in mind that for these calcs I've used the NU spread, so I don't know if that's the recommended set. But from what I've seen, once Klinklank uses Shift Gear almost nothing can switch in safely into this set of gears. However, that's something that applies to many setup sweepers, even if in the case of Klinklank you can't hide even behind a Substitute, since the Steel-type destroys it. Overall, I think this could be a quite impressive threat.

Drought Torterra
I admit I was quite perplexed at first by this nomination, since Drought would make Torterra even more vulnerable to Fire-attacks and the land tortoise doesn't have enough Special Attack to spam fast Solar Beams. However, after thinking for a while, the ability offers some advantages. First of all, Torterra would recover 2/3 of its health with Synthesis, giving it reliable recovery and making it a Pokémon quite difficult to take down. Also, Torterra can come in against opposing weather setters not named Abomasnow and reset their own weathers, as well as threatening them with its own STAB attacks. Oh, it also gets Growth (though I'm not sure how viable a mixed set would be, and Swords Dance works even outside of the weather) and several support moves, like Stealth Rock and Leech Seed.

All in all, Torterra would be an excellent tank and supporter, especially for Fire-type nukes like Mega Charizard, Mega Camerupt, Entei and Victini, which also appreciate weakened Water attacks.

Magnet Pull Cobalion
A very fast Magnet Pull user capable to destroy opposing Steel-types with Close Combat? Fairy-types would surely love it! Alas, it isn't able to deal with all Steel-types, since Heatran can threaten to destroy it with moves like Lava Plume and Magma Storm/Fire Blast, and Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross can severely cripple it with Superpower and Hammer Arm/Earthquake respectively, but if needed Cobalion can gain momentum with Volt Switch and let a teammate deal with those threats. It may seem weird for a Steel Trapper to be forced to flee from the Pokémon it's supposed to beat, but overall Cobalion is capable to punch holes on opposing Steel-types, which can be immensely valuable.

Only little downside would be that Cobalion won't be able to get any more a free Attack boost from the omnipresent Knock Off, but Magnet Pull is surely worth the loss.

Ghost/Electric Mismagius + Volt Switch
Why not Ghost/Fairy? Such missed possibility. This is essentially a better regular Rotom, which has better special stats and better speed at the price of a slightly lower defense. Also, it shares with the machine-possessor many useful support moves, like Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave and Pain Split, as well as unique attacks like Taunt and Nasty Plot, which can potentially turn it into a decent stallbreaker. However, the witch is still very susceptible to several physical attack and to Dark-type attacks, and as such common moves like Knock Off, Sucker Punch and Pursuit can truly threaten it. Regardless, I think it could still be a quite good pivot, even if it gets some competition from Mega Manectric and Raikou, which are both bulkier and have better speed. There could be more about this Pokémon that I haven't considered, but I still don't know what exactly.

---

So these are my opinions. It's going to be hard to choose one of them, even if the ones that intrigue me the most at the moment are Torterra and Cobalion. However, I'd like to hear more opinions before making a decision.

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good to have you on board, GnralLao, Patolegend!, and Salemance. :)

Technician + Bulldoze Klinklang: This one's pretty intense, maybe even too intense. While base 100 Attack is somewhat underwhelming even at +1, Technician boosted Gear Grind gives Klinklang a base 150 BP STAB attack that not only can break through Substitute and Focus Sash/Sturdy, but is also powerful enough to guarantee a 2HKO on Mixed Hippowdon when running an Adamant nature. On top of this, Klinklang would be at +2 Speed, outrunning even Adamant Sand Rush Excadrill, which is OHKOed by Technician Bulldoze after Stealth Rock. Onto its coverage, Bulldoze gives it a way to damage most Steel-types, and you can use Wild Charge if the recoil isn't that big of an issue to beat Skarmory, or even a Technician boosted Hidden Power to take out certain threats like Quagsire and Gastrodon with Hidden Power Grass or Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor with Hidden Power Fire. As if that wasn't enough, Klinklang also sports good 60 / 115 / 80 bulk, letting it live a physical neutral hit or two before going down, limiting its best checks to special attackers. Long story short, only the bulkiest of walls would be able to switch in on a boosted Klinklang, only positive natured weather sweepers would have a chance to outrun Adamant variants, and I think it would just be an unhealthy presence overall. Of course, that's assuming Klinklang actually gets to set up, as an unboosted Gear Shift won't be the end of the world with just base 100 Attack, 90 base Speed is easily outsped by sweepers when unboosted, its Special Defense is very exploitable, and it has some nasty weaknesses to Fire-, Fighting-, and Ground-type moves, so I might just be overreacting a bit. :/

Drought Torterra: Now this one is pretty nostalgic. Drought Torterra is one of the more well received Theorymon we've had, and I'm glad to see it getting another chance. Drought Torterra works as a very effective sun setter due to its amazing defensive presence compared to the likes of Ninetales and Mega Charizard Y. 95 / 105 / 85 defenses are great, resisting Stealth Rock is a HUGE trait for any defensive Pokemon, and a sun powered Synthesis gives it 2/3 of its health back after each use, all adding up to Torterra being not only the sturdiest Drought user that isn't Groudon, but a sturdy Pokemon in general. Another huge quality that makes Torterra very effective as a sun setter is the fact that none of the other weather setters want to switch in on a Wood Hammer. For example, let's say I switch in my Torterra against your Kabutops after it KOed one of my Pokemon. If my sun setter were Mega Charizard Y, you'd have little to no qualms with directly switching in your Politoed, but doing so against a Torterra would run the high risk of getting OHKOed by Wood Hammer. Therefore, you're forced to switch into a different Pokemon if you want to preserve Kabutops and now have to find a way to safely bring in your Politoed. This would very easily make sun teams viable again, and would even make Torterra useful as a defensive Pokemon in general. The only things that would be preventing Torterra from being a top tier threat would be its numerous weaknesses and the fact that Synthesis only has 8 PP, but that's really it. Definitely voting for this guy.

Magnet Pull Cobalion: Magnezone, I think you just got demoted. Cobalion has always had a rough time in OU due to its lack of a big niche (a hard counter to Bisharp with Volt Switch is nice, but eh...), but Magnet Pull would shoot its viability up by a whole lot. Magnezone's best way to super effectively damage Steel-types is Hidden Power, which isn't all that powerful but gets the job done. On the other hand, Cobalion has so many more tools to take advantage of other Steel-types with. For example, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, non-Superpower Mega Scizor, and Skarmory become setup bait thanks to Taunt, and said setup can be anything from Swords Dance, to Rock Polish, to Calm Mind, and even to Work Up if you want to go mixed that badly. Cobalion also works as an anti-lead against most Steel-types with Stealth Rock + Taunt, giving its team a powerful start in the battle. Granted Cobalion's inability to deal big damage to Steel-types that don't mind Fighting-type moves might make it seem inferior Magnezone when it can simply power its way through them, and the inability to safely beat Heatran and Excadrill get in its way a lot, but I feel that its potential as a Steel trapper is more vast than it is focused, and that's what will give Cobalion the edge against its competition. All in all, a great Theorymon, and one that I wouldn't mind seeing win. Who knows, he might even get my vote in the end.

Electric / Ghost + Volt Switch Mismagius: I'm a bit mixed with this one, but I can see some potential here. I see Mismagius working as both a Volt Switcher and a spin blocker, giving it an interesting niche to say the least. While the only Rapid Spinners it reliably switches into are Tentacruel and Starmie, the physical spinners, mainly Excadrill, Kabutops, and I GUESS Forretress, don't want to be burnt by Will-O-Wisp, and since none of them can OHKO Mismagius without a boost, this gives them a huge reason to switch out. This ability to force switches makes Volt Switch a great move, gaining offensive momentum while preserving the hazards you laid down. Levitate is also a big help here, as the constant switching would be hard to pull off if Mismagius were constantly losing health from Spikes and getting poisoned from Toxic Spikes. Taunt is a nice move as well, as crippling a wall and forcing them to switch means more opportunities to use Volt Switch. Offensively, Mismagius isn't particularly lacking thanks to a respectable base 105 Special Attack, Nasty Plot if Volt Switch isn't your thing, and good neutral coverage with Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt. But while Mismagius has good Special Defense, it has pitiful Defense, making it very risky to try and predict switches against physical attackers, and a lack of recovery outside of Rest and the shaky-at-best Pain Split makes this flaw much more apparent. But overall, I think this is a nice idea, and has a good shot at making at least the Honorable Mentions.

Overall, I'd say we got a nice slate. Good job, guys!

Klinklang + Technician + Bulldoze: I had my fill of Technician Shift Gear + Gear Grind in the old STABmons from Mega Scizor. My opinion? It's fucking boring, and I will pass on this entry. I frankly don't care how powerful it is or isn't, I just have no interest in seeing it in play.

Torterra + Drought: Yes, it beats opposing weather, but this isn't Gen V and winning a weather war isn't really the biggest concern for weather teams. It's more a matter of effectively capitalizing on speed in a priority-heavy meta, handling resistances to its standard attacking types, and functioning against fat teams that aren't quite so concerned about your speed or your 1.5x power on Fire-type moves. A stealth rocker with good recovery is nice as a sun setter, yes. What I want to see more is a sun setter that can handle any of Dragon-types, Talonflame, opposing Fire-types... you know, common threats to sun? Besides Tyranitar, that is, which already has some motivation to run Ice Beam or Ice Punch so there's always the possibility your Torterra just rolls over and dies to it anyways. Taking on Hippowdon is a valid benefit, I guess, but there are plenty of options for that.

I'm not gonna get into suggesting alternative theorymon here, but I just feel like if we're gonna buff sun, it deserves something good. Better than Torterra, 'cause Torterra alone ain't gonna put sun on the viability rankings.

Magnet Pull Cobalion: Okay, this is fairly interesting. Teams could always use more options when it comes to Steel-trapping, I suppose, given Magnezone's obvious flaws. Of course, given how much we're already relying on Ferrothorn to check stuff, I'm slightly wary of putting out something that turns it into a liability... the ability to remove and capitalize on Ferro (and Whirlwindless Skarmory [unless you run Taunt]) with a Sub-SD set gives me pause on an otherwise nifty idea, because while not at all broken on its own, might just make things that much harder for defensive playstyles, and that's not what I came here to do.

Electric/Ghost Mismagius + Volt Switch: It's not... bad? It's absolutely unique enough to get niche usage, but that's about it -- Volt Switch pivoting will still be handled on most teams by things like Raikou, and Ghost-type attacking / Destiny Bonding will fall to Gengar. It will only see play if someone needs both of those at once. Its stats aren't defensive by any stretch, and its offensive presence is nothing to write home about.

Overall I guess I like Torterra the best out of these, despite having the most words to say against it :P It's thoughtful, adds something to a Pokemon to make it viable and to assist an underperforming team style, and I guess voting for it doesn't preclude other sun buffs in the future. The others are too boring or problematic or underwhelming for me to support.

the ability to remove and capitalize on Ferro (and Whirlwindless Skarmory [unless you run Taunt]) with a Sub-SD set gives me pause on an otherwise nifty idea, because while not at all broken on its own, might just make things that much harder for defensive playstyles, and that's not what I came here to do.
Skarmory and Ferrothorn still have the option of running Shed Shell, and it's not like they need Leftovers/Rocky Helmets in order to function, so they won't become deadweight against other teams. Hell, I think some Skarmories in OU run Shed Shell already to deal with Magnezone.

Klinklang + Technician + Bulldoze: boring in my opnion. Another set-up sweeper with base 90 speed which rectifies his attack stat+technician+ Gear Grind (+ maybe Life Orb); due to his mediocre speed I think it will not be broken thanks to the Will o' Wisp/Earthquake around there. Strong (not broken) but boring.

Torterra + Drought: a nice addition to the meta because this turtle should be the only Sun setter without Megastone (===> this is something new for the metagame). Stone Edge/Rock Slide is a good way to punish some traditional switch-ins (like Char-Y/Talonflame) and a good way to get rid of others weather setters and good bulk grants him some additional switch-ins even though that 4x weakness to Ice is brutal. This is my favourite theorymon.

Magnet Pull Cobalion: boring. An interesting way to improve his niche but losing Justified (with all Knock-Off being so good/used) is bad because has middling offences without boosts o without lowering too much his defences without investiments.

Electric/Ghost Mismagius + Volt Switch: this is Rotom base-form with better SAtk, Sdef and Spe which is huge; base 60 HP coupled with base 60 HP grants him almost the same physical prowess of Rotom base-form (which isn't played in OU). Base 105 speed is not what it used to be, but Mismagius hasn't the burden to run Choice Scarf to improve its speed to decent levels and has SAtk almost on the same level of the other Rotom altered-forms which have more "numerical" physical bulk. Nice niche being a fast spinblocker immune to Ground-moves and a burn spreader (rectifying his poor physical bulk) enables it -in my modest opinion- to become at least a decent addition in OU even with the Knock Off spamming. Huge buff for this Pokemon.

(Sorry for grammar mistakes but I'm not a native English person)

Okay, time for a core with Magnet Pull Cobalion.

Cobalion + M-Diancie + Latios

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute / Hidden Power Fire
- Calm Mind

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Nothing too complicated about this core so I won't talk about the combination of Pokemon, Cobalion does similar stuff to what Magnezone does for this core, but is better at beating stuff like Bisharp and Tyranitar, which would be a real issue with Magnezone instead of Cobalion. I really like the Cobalion set, it sets up on a ton of Steel-types. Sub helps you against stuff like Ferro, but HP Fire helps vs Superpower Scizor (although Substalling Superpower to zero damage output works too). Sets and variations for basically all the Pokemon can be changed to better suit the team you end up building around this, so no complains about Latios and Diancie sets please. I really like the idea of Cobalion, and how easily it can set up on Steel-types, so it will probably get my vote. Hope you enjoyed the core :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)