Project OU Underdog Project (Week 17: Mega Abomasnow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What does Head Smash hit exactly? If you want to hit Mega Altaria you might as well use Heavy Slam, which also OHKO's Diancie and doesn't give a lot of recoil. Though I think both Head Smash and Heavy Slam are rarely worth it considering Sucker Punch has the potential to be actually helpful in almost any match, whereas the coverage moves are matchup and prediction reliant. I prefer Life Orb over Choice Band because the ability to switch moves is so important when trying to wallbreaker bulky balanced teams. The extra recoil is a thing but at least you can go mixed and do much more damage to Lando-T / Garchomp with 4 SpA HP Ice which turns 3HKO's and a lot of recoil into 2HKO and only 20% recoil.

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 153-181 (40 - 47.3%) -- 43.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-> 1 / 3 + 1 / 5 + 31% recoil from Life Orb, Flare Blitz and Rocky Helmet, not guaranteed 2HKO
-> Leftovers helps with the less recoil damage but requires an extra LO hit and Stealth Rocks for Lando-T

252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Superpower vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 196-231 (47 - 55.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-> Not a 2HKO because of Superpower power drops. Total recoil after 2 Superpowers is 78%. Garchomp will probably outspeed because it often goes high enough for Bisharp and if it doesn't attack you right attack but use Stealth Rock, it will take those 2 Superpowers and have somewhere around 1% and 21% left so you will still lose 1v1 and Garchomp got its rocks up.

So those are two really bad scenario's that can easily become:
4 SpA Life Orb Emboar Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 270-322 (70.6 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Emboar Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 260-307 (62.3 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If you're going for mixed and you see Grass Knot in the teambuilder and you think it's a good idea: don't use it. Its two main targets (Hippowdon and Slowbro) are already 2HKO'd by respectively Flare Blitz and Wild Charge. No recoil is a pro of Grass Knot ofcourse but it doesn't weigh up to losing Wild Charge, because it disables you to OHKO Starmie, Manaphy and Talonflame.

SketchUp

Mienshao faces huge competition from other fighting types, but a speed tier above 100, a strong Reckless HJK, a not too bad SpA stat and Regenerator are some things Mienshao has going over other fighting types. What sets distinguish Mienshao from other fighting types? On what team archetypes does Mienshao fit best and what are good teammates for Mienshao? Share your thoughts with sample sets, cores, teams and replays!

Don't forget that you can always request a pokemon for the Underdog Project. Next week:

I've only ever seen Regenerator Mienshao on the ladder, usually with Fake Out and an LO (because killing yourself against Garchomp is always helpful), but from what I've heard from various people in the forums, Mienshao is likely better used as a powerful as fuck SD user. Behold, the power:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs 252 HP / 148+ HP Def Hippowdon: 106.9 - 125.7%

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Knock Off vs 252 HP / 224+ Def Slowbro: 94 - 110.7%

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 109.9 - 129.3%

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs 252 HP / 252+ Def Lando-T: 48.7 - 57.3%

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 87.9 - 103.4%

Unfortunately, Mienshao has Pikachu level bulk, meaning can't take any form of priority well (LO adamant bisharp does 50 - 59% with Sucker Punch) and it can't really set up on anything. It also is rather slow by ORAS standards, and this issue is compounded by its non existent bulk. I'd imagine its best set is

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

It's a testament to Mienshao's power that a resisted HJK outdamages neutral Knock Offs. HP Ice provides a way to hit Lando-T + Chomp on their switch in. Use with encore or godlike prediction skills if you want to actually set up.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Brick Break
- Dragon Dance

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Trick

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Air Slash
- Superpower
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Landorus-Therian @ Custap Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
The original version of this team utilizes Choice Band Mienshao with HJK, Knock Off, U-Turn, Poison Jab but Life Orb is normally a fine substitute as well as shown by this build. I like Regenerator but if you're more of screw it type of person Reckless is good to blow through bulky mons with Hi Jump Kick. Mienshao alongside hazards serves as a hole puncher to supplement offensive DDance Zard-X. The Starmie set is a DPP set I came across that I thought would be cool considering stuff like Ferrothorn likes switching into Starmies indiscriminately most times, thus crippling them. Most Char-X / Mienshao builds sort of follow this similar formula as ben gay and tokyo toms Mienshao builds along with bens solo M-TTar build in the past with M-TTar, Latios, Rotom-H, Ferro, Mienshao, Torn-T utilize momentum tricks to supplement their sweepers. Mienshao won't win you games, it's normally offensive support for something else to win games.

SketchUp

So apparently Mienshao isn't the most interesting pokemon ever, but this week's pokemon used to be one of the most used unranked pokemon.

Xatu has a combination of a great ability, decent typing and nice movepool. Its versatility, combined with Magic Bounce makes it a decent option on teams that like the extra hazards support it provides. On the other hand, its low bulk and below average offensive presence are some big disadvantages Xatu got and even though it provides great support with Magic Bounce and U-Turn, it also requires support itself. What are some nice cores that contain Xatu? What sets can Xatu run besides the standard bulky set and does Xatu maybe even have some undiscovered niches? Teams, sets, cores and replays of Xatu are appreciated!

Next week:

Xatu is not a great monster per se, even thanks to its Psychic / Flying typing which is middling defensively, BUT being a non-Mega Magic Bouncer is really good. It has mid-to-low stats all around including its wasted 75 base Atk and is a shame it's weak to SR despite being an hazard controller, but that's why it can't be ranked higher.
It can be effectively run only alongside two other Megas forming a defensive core with them:
(1) Mega-Sableye;
(2) Mega Diancie.
They have both in common the fact they have the same ability to emphasize the hazards control by simply switching-in on the opposite SRocker/Spiker or status spammer and they have much better stats andmovepool.

The only one set I can see in OU is the physically defensive one (stolen by UU dex):

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Despite its Mega counterparts, Xatu is forced into dangerous 50-50 situation from Landorus-T which can use SR or Knock Off on the switch, which deals massive damage to Xatu due to its typing.
0 Atk Landorus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Luckily enough, Landorus-T has to drop one of its coverage moves or its slow U-turn which is useful despite the low damage output:
0 Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 63-75 (18.8 - 22.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

In this set we all we need to have a nice and niche Magic Bouncer: a slow U-Turn to gain momentum, Thunder Wave to have a form of Spe control and, sometimes, even free turns, Roost to get rid of that Flying type and Night Shade for solid damage. This bird has other options, but -in my opinion- not the SpA to use them.

One good thing of Xatu (a defensively oriented MBouncer) over Espeon (an offensively oriented MBouncer) is that the former hasn't to invest EVs into SpA and Spe due to the access to Night Shade which deals the same amount of damage every time. Stop, it is the definition of D monster: it has a niche granted due its Mega counterparts which have better movepool/stats and typing.

Last edited:

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
As requested by King OU, hele it is. The insanity that is Meloetta Xatu

Meloetta @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
- Magnet Rise

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 120 SpD / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head

Xatu @ Charti Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Perhaps the most cash team you'll ever run into. This was one of my first experiences with Xatu in ORAS OU and honestly I found it to be at times very useful and at others merely foddered off for a twave on something. Speed investment is for max speed base 70s, could be increased at will but honestly I would keep this as a minimum.

I gave Xatu Charti Berry primarily to better take on Landorus-Therian as it's a rather common Stealth Rocker and this allows Xatu to hit it with Foul Plays/Heat Waves/Other moves depending on your moveset. The primary purpose of me deciding to use Xatu was hazards. It does well vs common Spikers like Ferrothorn and can really pester Tankchomp and SR Lando-T along with other rockers like Hippo. Not very good vs ttar tho ;)

In general this what I think Xatu should be running

Xatu @ Charti Berry/Colbur Berry/Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave/Foul Play/U-turn/Night Shade
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic/Foul Play/U-turn/Night Shade

Other useful fillers could include Psychic/shock, HP Ice/Fighting, Defog, Tailwind

I decided to start using Xatu on some teams because of how useful Magic Bounce is as an ability and Xatu doesn't take up a Mega slot. Unlike Mega Diancie I find Xatu can hold its own defensively a bit better vs things not named Tyranitar which gives it a massive advantage over Diancie in terms of blocking SR from Garchomp, Lando-T, Hippo & more thanks to Roost & Flying Type. It also has a great movepool with access to helpful support moves like Twave, Toxic, even screens and Heat Wave is also a great help for things like Mega Scizor and other Steels.

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb/Will-O-Wisp/Hidden Power Fighting

Xatu @ Charti Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Iron Head

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Iron Head

Another Xatu team from Jesus, it originally started out as more of a gimmicky team to use vs AM but it did surprisingly well in a few roomtours/friendly games so I'm laying that out here too. It's hardly a perfect team (I would avoid it in serious tours like OST) but it can hold its own surprisingly well and may be able to provide some help for you about how useful Xatu can be sometimes.

First time posting on this thread so if you want clarification or have any questions about Xatu just tag me and Jesus will get back to you.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I love Xatu personally. Its good fun/utility being able to have Magic Bounce support without having to mega up first, and when compared to its competition in this role (Espeon) it is better in the OU environment. Its typing is a pretty big selling point, allowing it to switch in on Chomp/Lando-T's STAB with impunity and having a neutrality to U-turn, giving it an easier time protecting your side from hazards. T-Wave and Roost are also big selling points when shown alongside its access to U-turn and a handful of good attacking options in Air Slash, Psychic/Psyshock, Heat Wave, Night Shade and Foul Play. It is able to hold its own defensively competently, making it a really fun 'mon to use.

SketchUp

Starmei I really like the Meloetta team you posted and after playing with it a bit there are a few things I want to say about Xatu.
First, teambuilding wise just a small thing but both EV spreads you are using are a bit suboptimal. If you make Xatu Timid instead of Bold, you have the same speed benchmark, but your defense will increase by 4 points. It's just a small nitpick and you will rarely see any effect of it but at least it's 4 free defense points.

About the set itself, after playing with Xatu I really disliked the lack of momentum. In my opinion U-Turn is almost a necessity because it gives you a lot more freedom against pokemon like Ferrothorn and Hippowdon. Especially after you revealed Heat Wave, it can be really annoying to play situations with Ferrothorn vs. Xatu if you don't have U-Turn, because the lack of any offensive presence give other pokemon on Ferrothorn's side free switchins way to easily. I used Thunder Wave for pretty obvious reasons: paralyse pokemon you can't really hurt like Tyranitar and Heatran. From my experience this was especially helpful in the Xatu+MDiancie core because it will be much easier to prevent pokemon like Heatran and SpD Skarmory (if you use Heat Wave) from setting up their hazards.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave / Toxic / Night Shade

SketchUp

Week 12:

Noivern suffers a lot from competition from Flying- and Dragon-Types such as Tornadus-T, Latios and Hydreigon. However, with a good speed tier, nice coverage options and support moves such as Tailwind, Switcheroo, Taunt, and Roost, Noivern can distinguish itself from other powerful wallbreakers. On the other hand, Noivern's damage output is pretty underwhelming and neither its bulk nor its coverage are outstanding compared to other Dragon- and Flying-Types.
What sets should Noivern use in OU, on what teams does Noivern fit and does Noivern maybe have access to some hidden gems? Discuss!

Next week:

Remember that you can always suggest pokemon as subject of discussion.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Its really hard to justify using this thing tbh. All it really has going for it is its speed tier, but there is literally nothing between its speed tier and that of Torny-T/M-Pidgeot aside from Baninja, and its SpA is simply too low for it to make an impact a lot of the time. Like, its a pretty solid stallbreaker with Taunt+Draco+Hurricane+Roost/Focus Blast/Flamethrower I guess, but even then its very hard to justify why you've ever use this over Taunt Torny-T (who is stronger, fatter, has better coverage options, has KOff and has Regenerator versus Noivern's access to Roost+Infiltrator) or Work Up Mega Pidgeot (who is capable of singlehandedly beating stall once a few things have been taken care of). As for dragons, the only thing it has going for it is once again its speed tier, and even then it doesn't mean much without the firepower to back it up. Taunt+Roost Hydra is a generally better as a stallbreaker, whereas Latios is always better as an attacker.

Remember when everyone used to run Boomburst as Noivern's main attack? Something about Draco Meteor and Hurricane being too inconsistent...

Anyways this is a really old set I had some fun with back at the very start of XY. I've always had a thing for Super Fang, its kind of cool against mons that don't have ways to restore their health like Heatran, Azumarill, Rotom-W, plus it puts pressure onto fat shit like Chansey, especially if you happen to be running Taunt and have a little Spike support. It makes it pretty easy to blow past it later, run this alongside something like Latios or Torn-T and it makes it really hard for your opponent to keep their checks healthy.

Noivern @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Super Fang
- U-turn / Taunt
- Draco Meteor / Taunt
- Hurricane

Unfortunately, that pretty much covers the stuff that Noivern can do without being outclassed. It's got a great movepool and a cheeky speed tier but it's low damage output is really depressing when you're comparing it for vanilla offensive roles, especially when Torn-T and Latios are around. Torn is able to match it's offensive movepool, sticks around longer thanks to Regenerator, and packs a bit more of a punch. Noivern's coverage is much better than Latios's, and it's speed is a selling point, but Latios outdamages it so much it isn't even funny. Full stallbreaker sets are ok but Noivern's low bulk is a significant issue for it and now you've got Mega Pidgeot to consider as well. It's not exactly awful but I most likely wouldn't place it on any serious team.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 277-328 (81.2 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 226-266 (66.2 - 78%) -- might actually miss the 2HKO after the SpAtk drop

Noivern really struggles to distinguish itself from other options like Torn-T, Mega Pidgeot, and the Lati@s. As a fast dragon type Latios is so much better because of the power difference between the two, while Torn-T has way better bulk + similar coverage, and Mega Pidgeot has a reliable Hurricane to spam. Base 97 SpAtk can only carry you so far in today's OU, even with high powered moves like Draco Meteor (spatk drop sucks) and Hurricane (bad accuracy).

Noivern @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower/Superfang
- Taunt
- Roost

I haven't used Noivern in a few months, but this set was the most reliable on a team I made that laddered well. It's hard walled by heatran and clefable, but it can lure in Ferro and Jirachi while also acting as a decent stall breaker. The advantages of this set over Taunt Torn-T is Dragon STAB, so it should be used on teams over Torn-T if you need a more reliable dragon check + want to break past electrics easier. Unfortunately Noivern has pitiful bulk, so Torn-T is usually better since he can actually take neutral hits reliably.

The only other Noivern set I'd consider running is Choice Specs with Draco / Hurricane / Switcheroo / Focus Blast/Flamethrower. The better speed tier is the main reason to use Noivern over Lati@s, as well as Hurricane being a more spammable move than Psyshock even with the bad accuracy. The shitty part about his Specs set though is you're relying on two 70% acc moves and one that lowers your SpAtk to do any damage, which makes it really hard for him to clean reliably, and that's the main advantage of using Noivern as your wallbreaker over the tons of better options in ORAS. (His speed tier lets him act as a wallbreaker and cleaner with Specs, just in case i'm not being clear).

I love his design though, so I can't wait till Mega Noivern with Aerilate is realeased. (It better happen GF)

Edit: Slashed Super fang with flamethrower. Better at stall breaking with SF

Last edited:
I never really liked Noivern, even at the start of XY when certain people thought it was good. Anyway, this set that I'm about to post isn't really new, since it's used in UU quite a bit, but, well... it's something.

Notias (Noivern) @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Specs Noivern has a minuscule niche as a powerful way to quickly spam both dragon and Flying STAB moves. The set basically explains itself, with Draco Meteor being the best attack to just attempt to smash things with, while hurricane is a relatively spammable albeit unreliable secondary STAB. U-Turn is an attempt to grab momentum against mons that Noivern forces out, Like Latios. Flamethrower dishes out good damage to skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor. I suppose Switcheroo or focus blast could be used over certain moves on this set, if your team is concerned with hitting Heatran and Tyranitar or crippling Chansey.

I'm okay with Noivern's design, but i honestly feel it's name was a little uninspired. Yeah it's a Wyvern that makes noise- let's call it Noivern! Yeah, the majority of pokemon have fusion names, but for stuff like "squirtle" Squirt kinda flows into turtle, unlike Noivern just kinda being... bleh.

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've come to like this thread.

Noivern @ Charti Berry (Or Leftovers/Haban Berry/Yache Berry)
Ability: Frisk/Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Toxic

I really don't think Noivern is good offensively and thus for my set I decided not to even attempt to match up to other strong Flying/Dragon mons like Latios, Tornadus-T, Pidgeot-Mega, Hydreigon, etc. While Noivern does have a slight advantage over all of them in some way(Speed and/or coverage in most cases,) in general it's very difficult to justify using an offensive Noivern set over one of the previously listed comparisons. Speed EVs are enough for Torn-T, invest fully if you like but I don't really think you're going to run into many other Noiverns in OU. I considered some coverage moves but honestly I feel like Toxic is a great help for whittling down a lot of bulky Pokemon - Slowbro, Hippowdon, Tankchomp, Rotom-w, etc. Especially when paired with Super Fang & Taunt. I feel like the moves are fairly self explanatory. Charti Berry is just nice for things like Tyranitar, Landorus-T, even Excadrill but other cool items include Leftovers & other berries like Haban or Yache.

On a set like this I feel that Frisk is a cool option. Scouting for items can be surprisingly useful considering that a lot of Pokemon have different items they can viably/usefully hold and that these different items often correspond to different sets - Rocky Helmet Lando usually implies a more bulky set/spread but Choice Scarf/Eplate are clearly more offensively based items. Infiltrator could still be used but the only reason you'd use this is to hit through Substitutes. This could be useful for firing off Toxics. In case you didn't know - Super Fang still uses the half of the target's remaining HP vs Substitutes so if they're at 80% HP it does 40% to a sub - breaks. Clearly if they're below 50 it won't break in 1 super fang.

Something like Crobat could also use a set like this I guess and has 130 speed so let me quickly justify this over Crobat (even though it's a fucking Crobat in OU...) Dragon typing is one very important thing, giving it resistances to Water/Fire which is nice when taking on Keldeo, CharY, etc. Also Frisk, which I spoke about earlier.

Next week is MSteelix but here are some suggestions I have (may have been done previously, currently too lazy to check will probably check later though.)
Chesnaught
Crobat
Doublade
Forretress
Roserade
Snorlax
Moltres
Tornadus
Zoroark
Eelektross

Obligatory AM tag

e: if I have time I'll build a team later to show how a set like this may work

SketchUp

I don't necessarily dislike the Super Fang set but I think an offensive move is needed so you can use Noivern's nice speedtier to also act as a revengekiller. I think Toxic is the move that is needed the least. Taunt + Super Fang can be really useful to easily weaken defensive pokemon and stop them from recovering. Unlike Taunt + Roost Mega Aerodactyl and Taunt + Roost Hydreigon, Taunt + Roost Noivern is a much better lure for pokemon such as Clefable, MDiancie and Chansey because in the worst case scenario they will end up with 50% of their health (60% for Clefable), making them unable to check pokemon such as Tornadus-T, Kyurem-B and Latios later in the match. So even without Toxic the set still keeps its main purpose. Draco or Air Slash is the offensive move I would pick. It isn't really needed for wallbreaking but more to revengekill pokemon like Keldeo, Serperior and other weakened foes.
I am currently building a team with Specs Noivern with Switcheroo and 3 Attacks. I haven't played with it yet but if anyone else has experience with that set, your input is appreciated. I'll probably make a post about the set at the end of the week.

Crobat, Doublade, Roserade, Snorlax, and Tornadus are already done.
I have played with Eelektross and I don't think it is a really bad pokemon but in my opinion there is not really that much to discuss about it because it only has 1 good set (obvious with different coverage options). I will maybe make it the subject of discussion because you can still discuss cores, teams, coverage options etc. but it is not one of my priorities.
Chesnaught will probably be discussed pretty soon even though it is in C+. It has almost no usage on the ladder and in tours, but you can still play with different sets (fast taunt, defensive, subbd) so it is definitely worth discussing. Especially because cores like MDiancie+SubDrum Chesnaught sound pretty nice in the current metagame. I'm not planning to do many more C+ pokemon but Chesnaught stood out because Grass-Types are used a lot in this metagame and Chesnaught is definitely one of the underdogs here. I think Mega Ampharos and Chesnaught are the only C+ pokemon worth discussing.
I will definitely do Zoroark and chances are it is going to happen pretty soon. Unsure about Moltres. Forretress doesn't look very interesting to me honestly but maybe I'll change my mind. Thanks a lot for these suggestions

Martin

Krookodile could be cool it has the ability to trap heatran
TBH Krook is kinda one-dimensional. Also it doesn't have Arena Trap, so I don't see it trapping Heatran any time soon. Sure it can deal damage on the switch with Pursuit, but its a neutral hit so the damage isn't gonna be huge. I mean, I've used a few different sets with Krook (there is a bulky Pursuit set, an offensive set, offensive rocker and a physically defensive rocker set w/ KOff that I've used), but most of them were kinda mediocre beyond the offensive sets so there wouldn't be much to talk about.

Anyway, I agree with Starmei that Moltres would make for an interesting week. While the key reason people use it is for Specs Hurricane on rain, I've experimented with Moltres a lot (its one of my favorite E-ranks to mess around with alongside Stunfisk, Lanturn, Ninetales, Sawsbuck and the now-promoted Xatu (I would say Gothorita too for triple- and quadruple-trapper teams but that died with STag)) and I think that it has just about enough that it can do on both the offensive and defensive sides to talk about in a future week (maybe not next week, but at some point I can definitely see it being a viable topic).

Last edited:
I forgot how to tag (someone show me please, it's very annoying) SketchUp, but do you want us to PM you with suggestions? I feel like the thread could get kinda cluttered if people just start suggesting new mons here.

I'm gonna go ahead and third the the moltres suggestion. I haven't used any set other than Choice Specs, but i'd be cool to see what kind of sets the community can come up with. Choice Specs is really fun to use, it acts like Charizard Y with Hurricane + U-turn and all it really needs is hazard support and something to take out Heatran and Ttar to be effective. Funnily enough it destroys rain teams if you avoid the Swift Swim users since nothing on rain can take Specs boosted 100% accuracy Hurricanes.

I forgot how to tag (someone show me please, it's very annoying) SketchUp, but do you want us to PM you with suggestions? I feel like the thread could get kinda cluttered if people just start suggesting new mons here.

I'm gonna go ahead and third the the moltres suggestion. I haven't used any set other than Choice Specs, but i'd be cool to see what kind of sets the community can come up with. Choice Specs is really fun to use, it acts like Charizard Y with Hurricane + U-turn and all it really needs is hazard support and something to take out Heatran and Ttar to be effective. Funnily enough it destroys rain teams if you avoid the Swift Swim users since nothing on rain can take Specs boosted 100% accuracy Hurricanes.
Adagio

When you are typing simply put an "@" sign and write the name of the user. a small menu should appear in which the user's name is clickable.

SketchUp

I don't mind if you post suggestions itt but please make sure your post isn't only a (few) suggestion(s). I don't care if you talk about the pokemon of the week and add a few suggestions like Starmei did, but if you're only posting here for suggestions I'd prefer to PM me so this thread doesn't get cluttered. This post is also nothing more than a small reaction to the last few posts and most of this discussion will probably be deleted, but at least it is clear now what I expect regarding suggestions.

Martin

I played around with Noivern a little yesterday cause i was bored and I decided to try out Taunt+Roost+Super Fang+Hurricane/Draco (I switched from draco to hurricane while messing around with it because the team benefitted more from flying coverage and because missing is a really shit argument against it in general even with mono-attackers) and it was really underwhelming. Quite honestly compared to other things it just straight-up struggled to do... well, anything really. It was piss-weak even with a 120/130 BP STAB, and it did very little that Torn, Hydra or even Crobat don't do better. Crobat can run an identical set w/ bird>hurricane and it puts in so much more work in general due to not being piss weak. Im disappointed tbh :(

SketchUp

Mega Steelix is often compared to Mega Aggron as a Bulky Steel-Type. In most situations Mega Aggron seems like the better Mega, because it has a better movepool, more speed and a non-situational Ability. However, Mega Steelix has a few tools that Mega Aggron lack, including a Electric immunity, Sand Force, a secondary STAB and a better SpD stat. On what type of teams does Mega Steelix fit best? What are some good sets Mega Steelix can run? and What are some cores that show Steelix' niches over Mega Aggron and Mega Scizor? Discuss!

Next week:

I don't really think that Mega Steelix has a niche in OU because, despite the improvement in the right stats (Atk, Def and SpD), it is still very slow and really lacking in the priority department. For example, just the addition of Sucker Punch would be highly beneficial for this thing but this didn't happen. That Spe with no priority damaging moves makes Steelix a burn magnet.
It is a "useless" ability because it stacks some additional weaknesses in Sand teams with the Sand setters Hippowdon/Tyranitar + the premier sand abuser Excadrill, which has better Spe and lower opportunity cost not wasting the Mega slot.

===> at the very least, Mega Aggron has Filter which makes more painful the weakness to Earth, Fire and Fightning stacked. Not to mention it isn't weak to Water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)