Project OU Weekly Research | v2 hosted by Terrakion. coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I will go.

• Strategies used.
I really liked Beedrill on volt-turn as I thoughthought that is where it's niche really was, I used it commonly with magnezone. I also used Beedrill with heavy hitters and tried him with some bulky ground lures / "counters".

• How I went while building around this mon.
For the most part I was using a old hyper offense commonly referred to (or was at the time) as "Italian Offense" with Beedrill> Pinsir and Latias> Latios (I like the extra bulk for keld b/c fuck swapping azumarill into a burn.) The other teams I were using were quick ones that I built that were meant to lure the checks and counters of beedrill or abuse volt-turn so they could smash it's checks. I really like beedrill + mag though as they do cover each other well.

• general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
Uh quickly, lack of viable priority, shitty defense, forced to run protect, weak to perhaps the best pivots in the game, and being weak to steels in general all sucks.

However, beedrill makes a nice check to hoopa as I believe max speed jolly out runs max speed jolly scarf hoopa. iirc Having a mon that can put some pressure of offense is nice and I feel like you have to play beedrill pretty aggressively for maximum potential. Protect is nice for scouting.
  • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
In my opinion, no. With bulky grounds like tankchomp and rh lando-t running around it makes it quite hard for beedrill to succeed. Also it's mediocre defenses don't help vs mons with strong priority or stronger scarring mons.

• sets you used with the Pokemon
I used the smogdex spread for the most part alternating in between drill run/knock off, I had a team with sd beedrill which was fun for a while.

Overall, in my opinion, beedrill is not the strongest mon in the meta but is fun as hell try him if you haven't. I thing mag is a near required partner and protect is required on the set still. I think he is best on heavy/hyper offensive teams as they give up the least momentum usually vs most other turns. Also you can try him on volt-turn teams as an alternative to the standard turners. He got my new ladder in all to 1630+ (1500+ after some tilt) I hope you enjoy/enjoyed using this mon as much as I did. I like 3rd coverage over tspikes.

400th post!

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
General Thoughts on Queen Bee

Fun mon. I personally find the current metagame to be a bit rough for the poor thing though. Bulky grounds like Chomp and Lando-T are all over the place and are pesky for Bee to face. Chomp in particular is annoying because of the recoil damage taken by U-turning. Steels like Skarm and Mega Sciz are popular and pose equal amounts of problems. Bee is frail and things like Talon, Bisharp, Azu, Weavile, and the previously mentioned Mega Sciz exploit this by threatening it with their priority moves. Hazards are everywhere and can severely limit the amount of times Bee can come in to U-turn back and forth. In general, I find these problems require you to provide Bee with some very specific team support, which can restrict your options quite a bit and make it hard to deviate from the standard Mega Bee build.

Bee has pros too of course. U-turn is really good at giving you momentum and chipping things down. The popularity of psychics like Latios is something Bee appreciates for this reason. KOing Clef, revenge killing things like +1 Mega Altaria, and being faster than Scarf Hoopa are things I found cool. Bee's high speed is nice in general, especially against offensive threats. Being faster than Serp and even things like Mega Lop is really useful, and makes bee very effective at forcing switches.

Sets

Bee has some fun movepool options to toy with. Pursuit interested me since Bee always forces things like Latios to switch. However, I think the role is performed better by others and I usually preferred other coverage options. Toxic Spikes is another, and has use in wearing down things like Hippo and Chomp for other teammates. Swords Dance crossed my mind, but bee isn't an effective sweeper and is better suited towards applying pressuring with U-turn. I think Protect is the most important move. Evolving safely is too good to pass up, especially because bee can have a hard time doing so with its frail defenses. Scouting and avoiding Lop's Fake Out are other really helpful perks.

Building

I took this all into consideration when building. I noticed my builds were usually similar in the support they offered because Mega Bee requires some specific things. Hazard removal was a common theme, with Latios, Latias, and Exca making frequent appearances. Eliminating and placing pressure on steels was another common theme. Magnezone was an obvious partner for this reason. Knock Off Lando-T was another no brainer for its ability to remove items from other bulky grounds, making them easier wear down between constant U-turn pressure and SR. Luring in Skarm and removing Shed Shell is another thing brought to the table by Lando-T, easing the trapping process. Another natural partner was Rotom-W, contributing to the VoltTurn theme and handling the likes of Talon for Mega Bee. I found other Pokemon like Weavile and Azu to pair well too. They do a good job of pressuring and inviting steels to come in for Magnezone to trap, and appreciate being brought in by VoltTurn to spam their own strong attacks. These are some of the universal similarities I noticed when trying to build with Bee, and I included some teams below to demonstrate this more clearly.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Drill Run

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 112 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

____

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Bounce
- Waterfall

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Drill Run

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 120 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Healing Wish
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass

____

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Knock Off

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt
Wouldn't say these are spectacular, but I made them mainly for fun and to see how I'd approach building with bee. They have many similarities as said before. All of the teams are offense, which is where Bee thrives. VoltTurn is everywhere. Hazard removal between Latias, Latios, and Excadrill. Things like Landorus-T, Weavile, and Azumarill to pressure and invite steels in for Magnezone to trap. Knock Off on most of these to wear down Bee switch ins. Win conditions like Clefable and Gyarados to take advantage of steel removal. Threats like Serperior and Keldeo to pressure the grounds and steels Mega Bee invites in, and to take advantage of the free switch in opportunities VoltTurn provides. These similarities aside, tried making the teams cover as many threats as possible, especially those Mega Bee has issues with. Rotom-W and Heatran for things like Talonflame, Garchomp for Bisharp, etc.

Wrap Up

I don't think the metagame is too favorable for Bee right. Prevalence of bulk grounds, priority, and so on, make its life a pain. My main finding came through building with Bee. There are certain things Mega Bee needs to function well. Among these include hazard removal, steel removal, luring and weakening of grounds, and so on. These restrictions can limit your options when building around bee and make it hard to stray away from the standard Mega Bee build. Bee's overall issues make it difficult to justify using it over other megas. Regardless, it can be a fun/effective Pokemon to use and can be really scary when backed by a proper team.

Last edited:
Didn't say I was doing this but whatever, I wanna talk about Beedrill a little bit.

Ok so Beedrill isn't fantastic to start with since you've got a mon that puts serious strain on its teammates in order to work well. Beedrill's hit-and-run playstyle means that it likes having hazard support in order to make the most of its switches, but also that it can't function if it has hazards on its side. As a result you pretty much have to run solid hazard control in order to make Mega Beedrill work, using not only Pokemon that can set up and remove hazards, but also ones that don't give switch ins to hazard setters. You've also got to consider some kind of defensive backbone. Obviously Beedrill doesn't fit onto defensive teams well, but its weakness to revenge killers and priority users demands that the rest of the team be able to take a hit or two from stuff like Scarf Lando-T, Talonflame, Dragonite, and the like. Of course that isn't to mention covering Beedrill's other weaknesses and basic threats that need to be accounted for, and as a result straying too far outside of the Beedrill / Magnezone / Lando-T / Offensive Water archtype that most Beedrill teams fall into can be a bit of a challenge since it's hard to cover everything without that basic core.

As far as its meta position is concerned it's alright I guess. It gets punished really hard by Lando-T and Garchomp, who are literally everywhere right now, so it's just really hard to actually get it going without losing most of your health to Rocky Helmet recoil. That said an offensive meta is a pretty good one for Mega Beedrill, since that means more opportunities for it to force out weak opponents and take control of a match. Beedrill is kinda unique in that once it gets in, you can pretty much dictate exactly what your opponent is going to do. Weak targets are almost always forced to switch into a counter, since they usually don't want to eat a U-Turn unless they're sacking anyways, and Bug is a pretty decent type against today's offensive teams. Having something that takes advantage of Beedrill's switch ins is absolutely huge, especially if it happens to be something that typically gets a kill if it comes in safely against offense. There's a reason Azumarill sees a ton of use on MegaDrill teams.

I guess one of the things I'd like to see more of is luring in tandem with Beedrill. Standard Beedrill teams tend to be heavily based around trapping with Magnezone, which ends up looking very same-y, and it's pretty easy to get an idea of which moves a mon is missing in order to make room for things like Knock Off (not to mention that Mag is pretty bad). Something like HP Ice Lando-T or Natural Gift Gyarados would probably work well, still very similar to standard stuff but with enough surprise factor to make some huge plays.

here we go:
CRAWDAUNT

Overview: On paper, Crawdaunt doesn't stand out as anything metagame-defining. While it does have a very high base attack stat of 120 with Adaptability, and with the Water-type stab, it does look like it can terrorises bulkier builds, in a meta where bulky Ground-types are prominent.

Strategies Used and Building
I had built a number of teams, however my 2 preferred teams were a balance team and a volt turn offense team. For the balance team I thought that Spikes support and Wisp Megazard X support would complement Crawdaunt well, Spikes allow bulkier builds (as well as offensive teams in some cases) to be worn down more easily, allowing Crawdaunt to beat 'mons that it otherwise wouldn't kill with the combo of SD and its STAB moves, and Wisp Zard lures in the likes of Hippo and Lando-T, meaning that Crawdaunt would set up more easily. Tornadus-T is used for momentum and as a secondary Keldeo check (along with Latias). I also experimented with T-Wave Latias (which lures in the likes of Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor and Jirachi) also giving Crawdaunt a much easier time. However, the build was rather slow, and needed a lot of support to perform well against Hyper Offense, despiting having a somewhat easy time against Bulky Offense and Volt-Turn teams.

I didn't put much effort into building the Volt-Turn team, however the basic idea is that Volt-Turn allows Crawdaunt, a slow and frail 'mon, to come in much more easily against offensive builds, with Volt Switch and U-Turn measures wearing opposing teams down, and allowing Crawdaunt to come in freely, without having to sack something. I used Breloom and offensive Lando-T as measures of wearing down troublesome walls (as well Scarf Jirachi being able to trick a scarf onto annoying walls like Chesnaught). Not much to say here, didn't actually like the team a huge amount tbh.

Sets Used: I went standard with SD as I believe that's the only set that functions best. I have an old rain team with Choice Band Crawdaunt, but I didn't try it this time round, and it has its obvious flaws (although it hits insanely hard lol)

Strengths and Weaknesses:
STRENGTHS: It appears to be terrorising against bulkier builds, at +2 being able to kill a plethora of defensive threats such as Hippowdon, Clefable, Chansey, Rotom-Wash, Mega Sableye, Skarmory and Ferrothorn. With support such as Spike-stacking and Speed Control it can perform well with unparalleled ease, however this support in certain cases is difficult to bring out. Difficult to switch into, has little hard counters. One of its main grips however, is that it can do insane damage to common switchins

WEAKNESSES: However, due to being extremely slow and frail, its performance against offense as a result is poor, and relies on Aqua Jet to hit faster 'mons such as Mega Lopunny, Latis, Garchomp and Mega Manectric, which as a result aren't killed at +2. Requires a (very) solid defensive backbone to perform well on most offense, and as a result restricts teambuilding a bit. Also has a very high number of offensive checks, and most Psychic-types and Ghost-types can simply outspeed this and get a kill (given that they hit). LO recoil is a bit draining, however I don't see that it has any potential without its item, as it appreciates both its STABs getting boosted.

Conclusion and Verdict: Crawdaunt is definitely fun to use, and after some support/wearing down, can be extremely threatening to builds. However as its most common checks are very high in usage (Keldeo, Azu, Lop, Breloom to name a few), it does struggle on the ladder in this meta. However, it does appreciate the likes of Lando-T and Sand being very common in this meta, and with prior damage (which is why Spikes support is good for it), it can kill stall at +2.

My verdict is that the metagame is in its favour, however it's difficult to pull off in certain cases and definitely requires a lot of support to function.

Attachments

Last edited:
Test Subject: Crawdaunt

upload_2016-1-23_15-10-18.png

(Gracias DennisEG )

Breakdown:
This is what I used for the majority of my research period. M-Manectric appreciates being paired with Crawdaunt because it breaks down bulky ground-types that can give M-Manectric trouble, while Crawdaunt fears the likes of Talonflame and any priority users in general, all of whom are checked well by M-Manectric. Hoopa-U is there to function as wallbreaker #2 and basically does the same thing that Crawdaunt does for M-Manectric and vice versa. Garchomp acts as a more reliable cushion against stuff like M-Scizor, M-Lopunny, Bisharp, Breloom, and provides the team with SR support. Latios+Scarf HW Jirachi complete the defensive backbone of the team in acting as Fairy and Water resists, respectively, and Jirachi forms a nice VoltTurn Core with M-Manectric.

Strategies used:
Well obviously, Crawdaunt is crazy good when paired with VoltTurn because majority of the teams are susceptible to Crawdaunt, aka no switch ins, and VoltTurn is a nice strategy that allows Crawdaunt to come in a lot and literally click Knock Off/Crabhammer which are such spammable moves rn. The fact that I also ran HW support alongside Crawdaunt meant that I could play a bit more aggressively with it and heal it up later on.

Strengths and Weaknesses:
Crawdaunt excels against balance/bulky offense teams that have poor speed control. Its access to immediate power in Adaptility and LO make it a fearsome sight for such teams. Not the same against offense archetypes though, Crawdaunt has a hard time keeping up with the pace as its frailty and lacklustre speed means that it can only really threaten such teams when rocks are up and the team is weakened by picking them off with Aqua Jet.

Conclusion:

Crawdaunt is a pokemon that is very fun to use. Capable of threatening some archetypes while struggling to make an impact vs. others. Requires a solid defensive backbone to support its frail defenses and typing which makes it weak to common priority moves.

Verdict: Metagame not in favor

• Strategies Used:
So I really like Crawdaunt, but have had trouble using it in the past. So I sat down and spent about an hour building a team around it. I tried both BO and balance, and I will go more in depth in the next section.

• How I went about building around Crawdaunt
Like I said, I built both BO and balance. I did not like the BO team at all, so I will focus on the balance team. I started off with the standard SD Crawdaunt set, holding LO etc. So Crawdaunt is considered a stall breaker in my book, and has pretty pitiful speed for ORAS standards, so I decided to add one of the best offense answers in the game, Mega Lopunny. So, so far I have a pretty good stallbreaker, and a great offense answer, but balance still gives me a bit of trouble. I went ahead and added sand. And to wear down some of Crawdaunt's best switch ins, I used Choice Band Tyranitar. I needed a Keldeo counter, and a rain answer so I added sr Celebi, and with BP it makes it 10x easier to get Crawdaunt in. Finally I added a Talonflame, mostly for the fact because I wasn't 100% sold on Crawdaunt's ability to break stall.

• General strengths/weaknesses I noticed
First of all, I would like to say Crawdaunt is one of the most clutch Pokemon I have ever used. Its Aqua Jet is incredibly strong, and great at picking off mons on offensive teams late game. However, I was only able to set up an SD once. The pitiful bulk was really a factor when it came to getting Crawdaunt in. The only times I was able to get it in safely was off of a death, or a BP from Celebi. I was pretty pleased with the damage output from Crawdaunt, expect for one thing. Hippo can and 70% of the time will live a Crabhammer, and does a huge 50-60% back with EQ. Sadly I didn't run into stall, but overall Crawdaunt was pretty helpful vs balance and a great cleaner vs offense.

• Is the meta in Crawdaunt's favor?
Well, after playing around I do not believe that the meta is in Crawdaunt's favor. Offense is running wild, which Crawdaunt can't do much against other than AJ. Tankchomp is still pretty common, which is absolutely terrible for Crawdaunt. Balance is becoming a bit more common, but not common enough for Crawdaunt to stride.

• Sets I used
Like I said, I used to standard SD set with Crabhammer, Knock Off, and Aqua Jet with LO. There isn't much else to experiment with other that Waterfall/Superpower or maybe a DD set (which is pretty terrible). I have however used band Crawdaunt in the past for decent success, but that was when stall was very common.

Overall, Crawdaunt is a very fun Pokemon to use, but it should be used very cautiously. I had a good time with this team, and I encourage you guys to use it, I'll leave the team below.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Earth Plate
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Taunt

Last edited:

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader

Mega-Beedrill
HP:65
Attack:150
Defense:40
Sp. Atk:15
Sp. Def:80
Speed:145

Ability: Pre-Mega: Sniper / Mega: Adaptability

Pros:
-It has one of the strongest (if not the strongest) U-turn in the game
-Once Mega is exceedingly fast, outspeeds Mega Manectric + Loppuny (only outsped by Mega-Zam in OU)
-Is one of the few viable Physical Poison types meaning it destroys Fairies

Cons:
-Exceedingly Frail (and as a result has a hard time coming into even neutral/resisted hits without being utterly crippled)
-In practice is forced to run Protect due to it's horrid pre-mega stats
-As a result has a severe 4 mss (because of protect being almost mandatory)
- It's dual stabs though handy is walled by common OU super-star Landorus + skarmory
-One of the biggest cons is a continuation of the last point, the Meta is extremely unfavorable for Mega-Beedrill as it is so utterly offensive, the prevalence of rocky helm mons such as Garchomp, Lando, Skarm, ferrothorn mean that Beedrills already horrid survivability is damaged even further
-Stealth Rock weakness

Strategy
Now for mega-Beedrill I will not be posting a team as the ones I used were merely a mishmash of Volt-Turn teams, however, what I am gonna argue that is likely quite different from others is the usage of a slow Baton Passer when using mega-beedrill (a slow u-turn / volt-switch also work but they are a rarity). I actually paired mega-Beedrill with Umbreon and Sylveon on two separate instances. Yes, these mons are often seen and argued to be bad pokemon (and for the most part they aren't necessarily wrong) however, through both Umbreon with its extrordinary mixed bulk and Sylveon with its access to Fairy Hyper Voice, mega-Beedrill had a much easier time coming in and out. This was because of how these eevee's are able to act as slow bulky pivots that can tank a hit then switch out insuring the safety of mega-Beedrill without the need to predict heavily. The point of beedrill is primarily fast hit and runs where it either revenge kills or softens up targets and maintaining momentum which it desires greatly itself.

My Honest Opinion: Mega-Beedrill is honestly as a whole not worth using, it is a pokemon that needs a team built around it for it to operate somewhat effectively and the Meta hurts Beedrill far to egregiously on a variety of levels. Sure, it can do good, but that can be said for a lot of mons with proper play / good team matchups.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know I didn't sign up but Crawdaunt is a pokemon I've taken an interest in recently. I definitely disagree with Analytic's assessment that the metagame is not in its favor. While it's true that it is slow and threatened by many offensive pokemon, and it does generally perform best against balance / stall, that doesn't mean that the metagame is unfavorable to it. It has very powerful priority making it a potent revenge killer in this offensive metagame, as well as a fantastic STAB combo making it difficult to switch into for offense. The best offensive switch-ins being Keldeo and Azumarill take a ridiculous amount from resisted hits:

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 142-168 (43.9 - 52%)

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 156-185 (40.6 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This is important in wearing down potential mutual checks i.e. if you are running a Scizor or Charizard X. It's also pretty good and forcing in Garchomps to weaken them for something else.

Also, sand offense is a particularly powerful archetype these days and Crawdaunt threatens to OHKO Excadrill with Aqua Jet. Unlike Azumarill, it is not forced to run Choice Band and lock itself into the move in order to be able to OHKO Excadrill:

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 322-385 (89.1 - 106.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 356-422 (98.6 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 240-284 (66.4 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another thing about sand offense archetypes is they tend to carry pokemon that can deal with Keldeo and Azumarill because both of these threaten sand cores with their STABs. This means you find pokemon such as Latios/Latias, Celebi, Ferrothorn and Amoonguss on these teams. However none of them are solid switch-ins to Crawdaunt because of its Dark STAB. Dark is potentially the best offensive typing in this metagame right now and Crawdaunt takes full advantage.

There will be games in which it doesn't put in a ton of work, but I've found that it is actually a pretty solid pokemon right now. It's very powerful against certain archetypes such as sand and bulkier teams, and even against offense it will find opportunities to revenge kill or force a tricky situation because of how difficult it is to switch into.

Last edited:
Well considering i sighed up for crawdaunt might as well say my thoughts about it. When using it i decided to use the SD set. Honestly daunts rather one sided and only has one set with 2-3 different items and MAYBE a special move like blizzard to crap on fat chomp or sludge wave to crap on azu with the latter being a check. I did try the mixed set over sd and it was pretty fun but at the same time i missed having SD. Although from using daunt this thing is rather good when it comes to breaking fat teams. I actually revived a old garde+daunt team and a daunt+mane team and it smashed a few fat teams so id say that in terms of breaking more bulky teams daunts pretty good. The only issue i really had with daunt was that vs offense it was pretty much dead weight because of how slow and frail it is. I mean offense kinda only has like what azu and fat chomp as a "check" so said mixed set with sludge wave or blizzard is really helpful. Might as well drop a few calcs of those special moves.

4 SpA Life Orb Crawdaunt Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 400-473 (95.2 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Crawdaunt Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 452-536 (118.3 - 140.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Crawdaunt Sludge Wave vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 198-234 (51.5 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I overall enjoyed using daunt its a solid wallbreaker. Really strong wallbreaker thats hard to switch into and having priority is rather nice to have. Water/Dark is pretty good offensively as we've seen from mega gyarados so having SD alongside said hard hitting attacks allows it to break past most of its slower checks.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Topic 1: Teambuilding
Focus Question(s) Studied
  • How you went about building with this Pokemon
  • General strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
  • Strategies Used

Thoughts
- In order to build around megabee, I tried to get a volturn team going with solid lures to bulky grounds along with more than one talonflame answer. Defensive Rotom-W+Standard Bee+HP Ice/Toxic Lando was a cool core I used for these teams. Also, Mag is really nice since steels are annoying af. Hazard removal is required since bee is a pivot and weak to rocks.

Sample Team:
Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
This is a pretty solid megabee build that I ended up making around megabee that has a kind of volturn style with banded azu and LO lati as wallbreakers that I can pivot into to fire off a powerful attack. EQ Lati is there to lure in tran to make megabee's sweep easier, and it is also used as a defogger since hazard removal is almost certainly a requirement on this team. Defensive toxic lando is to cripple bulky grounds that annoy bee as well as being a good check to birds, which are a huge threat to bee, also it beats +1 zardx which is important for offense. Scarfzone is there as a pseudo lati hard check since it can switch in, outspeed, and flash cannon as well as to hop starmie, and it traps steels that annoy beedrill like skarm, ferro, and sciz ofc. Beedrill is obviously what the team is built around, being a dangerous pivot, and it has knock off so that I can knock off skarm's shed shell for magnezone. Rotom-Wash provides a much more reliable switch into birds aside from lando, and it is a solid pivot being able to volt switch around along with being the team's primary azu check. Lastly, Azumarill is the team's designated wallbreaker that can put dents in teams from pretty much every playstyle bar fat teams with venu/amoonguss, and it has superpower so that it can lure ferro for beedrill, which is fairly important for this team, and it has priority to clean up weakened offensive mons, which is pretty much needed on offense these days.
=========================================================================================
Topic 2: Moveset Experimentation

Focus Question(s)
  • Sets you used with the Pokemon
  • Strategies used

Thoughts
Mega Beedrill is a pretty one dimensional pokemon, so most of the sets I used played pretty similarly, but they were fun to experiment with. Most of these sets were just experimenting with 1 or 2 moves on bee to see how they worked out. Some ideas that I tried out included pursuit, sd, and toxic spikes. The coverage move that I gave up for these was actually not terribly missed since I adapted the rest of the team based on the sets, but the moves that I fiddled around with were used scarcely. I haven't experimented with tailwind yet, so I won't say anything about it, but it could be a cool option to use.

Sample Set
Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Toxic Spikes/Pursuit/Swords Dance
This is standard beedrill, but instead of using coverage moves like knock off or drill run in the last slot, it uses options with a bit more utility. Toxic Spikes can be used to punish switch ins on volturn teams and is usually used vs a mon that you threaten out, like Clefable. This is particularly useful vs bulkier builds lacking a poison type. Additionally, pursuit is a cool option to use vs offensive mons like starmie and latios that don't want to eat one of your STAB moves so that your hazards are up for good, or just to gain momentum doing quite a bit to both on a switch, and it does even more damage vs alakazam. Lastly, swords dance is a really interesting option to use late-game when you can win by spamming poison jab, but it just needs a bit more of a punch to KO the things you need to like manectric, for example, gets OHKO'd by +1 pjab but easily eats one at -1.
==========================================================================================
Topic 3: Delving into usage statistics

Focus Question(s) Studied
  • If the meta is in favor to the pokemon or not.
Thoughts
The usage statistics from the latest tier update show that the meta has some things trending towards MegaBee while others hurt it. The rise up bulky grounds, with Landorus-Therian+Garchomp having over 50% combined usage indicates that megabee has a harder time vs many teams today since its checks are so common. However, the rise of offense, with 22 out of the top 25 mons in usage being most commonly found on offense, indicates a shift for megabee since most mons commonly found on offense are significantly more frail than mons found on fat balance/stall, so megabee has an easier time running through them.
==========================================================================================
Conclusion
Mega Beedrill needs some support to function effectively and decently in the current metagame, but with proper support, it can be a powerful attacker that can blow through an array teams. While megabee is a fairly one dimensional Pokemon, it has several utility options that it can run in order to help out not only itself, but also the rest of the team. Lastly, megabee does appreciate the offensive meta we're in, but it is hurt by the rise of bulky grounds.

Last edited:
I didn't sign up for this so remove this post if needed.

I've been using beedrill on probably around 75% of my teams since oras came out, so I've tried a lots l lot of sets an have a decent idea of what works. A nice partner that nobody has mentioned is rotom-H. Rotom can run a bulky, willo+pain plit set to give beedrill several safe switches in with a slow voltswitch.

As far as sets are concerned, beedrill should be doing one of two things, clicking u-turn or OHKOing something with poison jab. If it's not doing either of those, chance are it's dead. Protect is near mandatory, and if you elect to not use it (which leta you evolve on basically nothing), you get space for drill run, letting you hit heatran. Eh.

The fourth slot most people save for knock off, but I think that set has become the expected norm at this point that it is not useful. Instead I like to use tailwind or endeavor. Frequently with beedrill, you'll find yourself in a situation late game where beedrill is at ~20% in against a tank chomp. If rocks are up on your side, beedrill can't come back in, but its also not going to be killing chomp. Hard switching on EQ/dragon tail isn't desirable. Endeavor cripples whatever is on the other side, while tailwind let's what ever you send in next...I.e SD lando, to sweep.

People should give tailwind a try. T-spikes is too much of a loss of momentum IMO, since beedrill is so susceptible to priority revenge killing.

Twixtry

Bentley coupe riding with stars
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

• strategies used
Like many other people, I thought of the idea of using a voltturn team with Beedrill, as that is the kind of team where Beedrill shines the most.
  • how you went about building with this Pokemon
Like I said, I wanted to build a voltturn team around Beedrill. The first pokemon that came to my mind is Magnezone. I think almost every Beedrill team should have a Magnezone in it, because it forms an amazing core with Beedrill. It traps bulky steels like Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor, which Beedrill has a problem getting through, and it forms a voltturn core with Beedrill. Then I added another voltturn core, consisting of Landorus-T and Rotom-W. This gave the teams rocks and the ability to take some hits. Another thing that is necessary on a Beedrill team is hazard control, because of it's weakness to stealth rock and the amount of switching around through U-turn. I decided to add Latios for that job. Lastly I added Azumarill for some wallbreaking.
Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

• general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
Strengths:
- It is one of the fastest non-boosted Pokemon in tier, outspeeding things like +2 defensive M-Altaria
- It pretty much ohko's everything that is weak to one of it's STABs, and does a high amount of damage to anything that doesn't resist them.
- It can cripple it's counters and gain momentum really easily with U-turn.

Weaknesses:
- It has a Stealth Rock weakness.
- It's walled by the 2 most common mons in OU, Garchomp and Landorus-T.
- It's incredibly frail and weak to priority moves.
- It gets hurt by the rise of rocky helmet a lot.
- It's forced to run protect.
  • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
While it does have a good matchup against some team archtypes, Beedrill is not that good right now. The biggest reason for that is because Landorus-T/Garchomp is on almost every team nowadays, and those 2 give Beedrill so much problems. Another bad thing for Beedrill is the amount of priority in the tier. After one Stealth Rock switch-in Beedrill dies to pretty much every priority attack. Lastly, it only has one viable set and playstyle, which makes it pretty easy for good opponents to play around Beedrill. One thing that Beedrill has going for it is the offensive nature of this meta, however, as it fits Beedrills playstyle very well.
  • sets you used with the Pokemon
I used the standard Beedrill set:

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

The reason I chose Drill Run over Knock Off is because Magnezone can't trap every steel type. Steel types like Heatran and Excadrill that beat Magnezone are a huge problem for Beedrill, and Drill Run hits those steel types hard.

Conclusion
While Beedrill is extremely fun to use, it's usually not going to do much because of the huge amount of bulky grounds and priority. However, Beedrill has a field day if your opponent doesn't have one of those (anymore).

Last edited:
formatting stuff takes too long and im gonna go get food so this is short

strats: i wanted a wallbreaker to stop the things that walled bee(a lot) and to help prevent hazards
Building:
So I made my bee team starting with bee+hp fire kyurem because it pretty much ohkos or 2hkos most answers to bee and helps prevent rocks from ferro with like 10% prior dmg,hippo, other defensive rock setters. Next I put taunt twave vswitch thund for volt turn,keld check and helps prevent rocks from offensive setters like azelf. Originally, I was gonna make a team of pure hazard pressuring pkmn like kyurem,thundurus,taunt tran but at the end, it limited my options too much and things that stopped stuff like lop,zam,etc all couldnt keep the constant pressure up of a no hazard removal team so ended up with starmie that replaced something i forgot and some other edits a while ago

I think this pkmn wasnt as good as i thought, even with most of the things that wall it worn down,its too easy to offensive check and it cant reliably stop things like clefable because it cant switch in

Last edited:
closing this a little earlier due to being busy with some other stuff. Skarmx2 King Sun feel free to update your "reserved" posts if you'd like, but there's no need to rush & if you guys don't want to, dw bout it ^^

the posts being added to the archive are this post on mega beedrill by Infernal and this post on crawdaunt by Sonired. special thanks to them and everyone that participated :]

for transparency's sake, i consulted FookMi? and Nedor when deciding on the posts to add to the archive. also, remember: the archived posts are simply the posts that best summarize the pokemon for future reference. not every post needs to summarize the pokemon; some people may just want to center their posts around one aspect, and that's totally okay. you don't need to follow the guidelines perfectly to post here; they're just there to guide you a bit if you're unsure of what to post.

~​

week #2

mamoswine | mega pidgeot | alomomola
REMEMBER: you simply pick 1 one of these 3 (or 2/3 of them if you want :p) and post here saying which one you're taking. also, you can use any set you want!

the discussion period will start on 1/30; those of you who want to participate have between now and then to play around with one of these pokemon. n_n

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
m00ns sorry I did not have time, complete the post tomorrow ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)