Project OU Weekly Research | v2 hosted by Terrakion. coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tagging those involved:
nice to see another solid showing n_n. thanks everyone who signed up, you guys have between now and monday (2/1) night to write up your posts about whichever pokemon you took (mamoswine / mega pidgeot / alomomola). as a reminder:
If you take a test subject, it is expected that you'll post. Your posts don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
and as a reminder to those unsure of what to post:
Things you can post include (but are not limited to):
  • strategies used
  • how you went about building with this Pokemon
  • general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
  • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
  • sets you used with the Pokemon
remember: you aren't limited to these guidelines; they're just here to help in case you aren't sure what to post. if you'd prefer to focus on 1 specific aspect of the pokemon you selected rather than a broad overview, that's totally okay!

if you didn't sign up but you'd like to post, feel free to do so, but just don't post if you haven't used the pokemon in awhile / at all. also, if you sign up but you cannot find the time to post, don't worry about it! just please don't do it regularly :x

again, thanks everyone who signed up & have fun posting! :]

Last edited:
Right so i honestly couldn't use mega pidgeot. Tried using it and i didn't like any of the builds but i did have a pretty nice mamoswine team so ill just go over mamo. After using mamoswine i honestly saw how good this thing was. Its a really underrated wallbreaker overall I used a nice offensive team with it with volturn+Mamo+Gatr which was really fun. When building around mamo i wanted to pair it up with a offense breaker which is why i had the idea of mane as a teammate. When actually using mamo in battle something i noticed was how good Ice+ground coverage is a lot of teams tend to be weak to this type combination as most thing that could care less about ground type attacks are weak to ice type moves. Mamo's speeds alright for a wallbreaker but at the same time it can really hurt mamo because it cant out speed some key threats. Then there is the fact you need to run freeze dry or your walled by rotom-w. Mamo in general is a pretty anti meta threat and i feel like it cant really surprise a ton of teams that are not ready for it. Like i said one of the most common mamo switch ins can be weakend greatly by freeze dry so thats something. Slowbros becoming more popular though which can be a issue. As for sets this is what i used with mamo:

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

The Import of the team in case anyone wants to give mamoswine a go: (yes i know its weak to exca/talon)

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 88 HP / 8 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Iron Tail

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 160 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

My turn!~

Pokemon as a whole:

Pidgeot is a monster to fight against, no doubt. People scoff at it in team preview, but 100% accurate Hurricanes really tear through teams just due to how amazing Flying-STAB is right now. Certain checks are rendered pretty helpless with the correct coverage or a lucky Confusion (Mega Diancie and Thundurus really hate that). Its blistering Speed tier makes it terrifying for most offensive teams, and a lot of things that can check it who outspeed (Weavile, Scarf Kyurem-B, Mega Lopunny) certainly can't switch in, leaving Pidgeot to get a free KO. Against other checks, mainly Rotom-W, Chansey, and Raikou, Pidgeot outspeeds and can U-turn out. The Stealth Rock weakness kinda hurts that so a Defog or Rapid Spin user is really, really important.
Also small note but it's probably not a good idea to use Hyper Beam. It looks kinda cool on paper but that extra turn the opponent gets lets something like Char X set up on you which is really awful. Most of the targets of Hyper Beam get really pressured by Hurricane or hazard damage.
Anyways Pidgeot preformed pretty well for me and was really fun to use. I've been using it for a long time anyways so finally being able to really talk about it is cool.

Weaknesses Pidgeot has:

The most annoying issue I had with Pidgeot was building around it since it takes up a Mega slot. Might not seem like a huge deal at first but it's such an awkward thing to work around. I occasionally thought "Why not replace Pidgeot with Tornadus-T and (something something) with another Mega?".
A quick glance at stats might lead you to believe it's frail, but it's not awful I guess. The biggest issue with its bulk is its mediocre typing. The only priority Pidgeot isn't weak to is Shadow Sneak, which is super rare. Combine this with a Stealth Rock weakness, this leaves Pidgeot open to easy revenge killing. A lot of decent checks are also pretty common, particularly Scarf Tyranitar, which if you don't catch with a U-turn on the switch, kiss your bird goodbye.

In comparison to Tornadus-T:

A lot of people are really quick to throw aside Pidgeot, but to be honest, it preformed better than Tornadus-T for me, at least in terms of late game sweeping potential. In early game, Tornadus-T can afford to miss Hurricanes just due to its ability to wear the opposing team down with Knock Off / U-turn or whatever. However, late game is where it really falls on its face, when it absolutely has to hit Hurricanes to win. Pidgeot has a massive advantage of being able to wear stuff down through out the entire game without missing. Hurricane is insanely strong, blowing through targets really easily (even Rotom-W gets worn down pretty easily, Hurricane does like 40% with Stealth Rock damage). Yes, yes, Tornadus-T has coverage and Regenerator, but Pidgeot's Flying / Fire coverage isn't that bad at all. Pidgeot has access to Roost, which isn't quite on the level of Regenerator in terms of pivoting, but still helps longevity a bit. I know there are people who won't be happy at me comparing Pidgeot with Tornadus-T, but I think there's enough similarities to compare the two.

Work Up set:

While the offensive set is really a blast, and the one I used the most, I really feel that Work Up is where Pidgeot's potential shines. Pretty much every stall team bowed down to it, and it was no slouch against offensive teams either. Most people generalize the Work Up set as a stallbreaker rather than a sweeper, mainly due to its weakness to priority. However this isn't entirely true, as with 121 Speed and the ability to fire off +1 Hurricanes, offensive teams have a hard time late game. I ended up messing around with a Hurricane / Work Up / Heat Wave / HP Ground or Fighting set and it was completely hilarious on just how many teams it was able to eat alive.

Team I used:

Yes yes this team is kinda garbage but I was a bit pressed for time, I suppose it's something.

metropolis (Pidgeot-Mega) (F) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Work Up
- Hurricane
- Refresh
- Roost

counting seconds (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

sunset sky (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish

set to build (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Endure / Rest

light fell down (Latias) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

froze over (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab

Whew, time to give my fingers a break. Hope this was good and stuff, it's been a while since I've made a longer post so I might be a bit rusty, thanks to everyone who read this far :>

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Pros

Aside from Wish passing, Alomomola can tank hits well from many Pokemon with its good bulk. Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, and Azumarill are among these. Being able to Toxic stall threats like Char-X is also useful and can make the fish an attractive option on some teams. Other than being able to pass Wishes to keep defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn healthy, what differentiates Alom from other Regenerator Pokemon like Slowbro and Slowking? I think the answer to this is handling Weavile and other dark types like Tar better. This is a good advantage given how threatening and popular those two are. Alom's ability to take hits isn't limited to the physical side. Although its special defense is low, Alom's HP is so huge that it can be customized to take hits from things like Mega Diancie decently. With Regenerator, Alom functions well as a bulky water and can be an annoying Pokemon to wear down.

Alomomola is also a great pivot. Because of its good bulk and Regenerator, the fish can be useful for scouting purposes. Need something to scout what CB Azumarill will do? Switch in Alom. Need something to scout what Specs Keldeo will use? Bring in Alom. Being able to fall back on Alom's bulk in situations like these can ease prediction and make it easier to respond to certain threats. That's a nice trait to have, especially with Wish to keep itself in good shape.

Cons

Like every Pokemon, Alomomola has its flaws and the main one is passiveness. Compared to other bulky waters like Slowbro, Alom's Scald is really weak. For comparison, Slowbro's Scald does 43.4 - 51.8% to SpD Talon, whereas Alom's deals 21.7 - 25.6%. This leaves the fish more prone to being used as set up fodder by the likes of SD Gliscor. Other scary stuff like Sub DD Mega Gyara can exploit Alom's passiveness too. This isn't the end of the world, but is a flaw to be taken into consideration when building with Alom to avoid having its presence taken advantage of too easily. Besides its passiveness, Alomomola dislikes status and can have its longevity hindered by burns. This is a problem with many bulky waters in general, and is a reason Pokemon like Clefable and Chansey are often seen alongside the fish for their ability to absorb and heal status.

Sets

Alomomola only has one viable set, and that's Wish Pass. Scald, Wish, and Protect are mandatory. The final move is a little more flexible:
  • Toxic - Poisoning threats is the main way Alomomola can make up for its passiveness. Without it, you aren't able to handle things like DD Char-X as effectively. Foregoing Toxic makes the fish set up fodder to a much wider range of threats, and is hard to justify ditching.
  • Knock Off - Has its uses in removing items from switch ins like Ferrothorn and Chansey, but is generally inferior to Toxic.
  • Magic Coat - Because Alomomola is really easy to Spike and SR on, this can sometimes be an interesting option to take advantage of things like Ferrothorn.
  • Mirror Coat - This one can be fun to mess around with since Alomomola is bulky enough to live many special hits, even from things like Mega Manectric. However, letting Alom take these special attacks can leave it low on health and unable to respond to the threats you need. This makes the option a niche one, and it's better to leave taking special hits to your teammates.
  • Healing Wish - Unexpected move on Alomomola to give a teammate a second chance. Using Healing Wish means giving up things like Toxic though. This usually isn't worth it, especially with Jirachi and Latias performing the role better.
Building

Alomomola fits best on balanced and stall builds. Stall is so boring so I won't talk much about that, but using Alom with its pink friends like Clefable and Chansey is common practice. On balance builds, pairing Alom with Pokemon capable of handling the threats the fish dislikes, like Serperior, Thundurus, and Sub Mega Gyara, is a good way to go. Having some win conditions and offensive presence to make up for Alom's passiveness is nice, especially if those Pokemon appreciate being healed by Wish. Isn't great and really weak to Mega Pinsir, but here is a team I tried making:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Recover

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Rock Slide

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 192 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
This is an expansion of a core I talked about here and I wanted to give it a go. I ultimately ended up changing Reun to CM and Mega Lop to PuP because they were more effective overall. The general idea was pairing Alomomola with Heatran and Tangrowth to cover things Alomomola has trouble with, while forming a solid defensive backbone. Heatran especially loves Wish to stay healthy for Mega Scizor, Latios, etc. The other three Pokemon give the team some offensive presence and try to cover remaining issues. As I mentioned earlier, Alomomola dislikes status. This is something I took into consideration when building, and is an area where Gliscor + Reuniclus help tremendously. Another team I toyed around with was Alomomola / WoW Char-X / SD Gliscor / Tyranitar / Latias / Ferrothorn. This one is really standard, but was made in the same way as the previous: covering Alomomola's threats while trying to avoid passiveness.

Fish has its uses overall. I don't know if I can say whether the metagame is unfavorable or favorable for Alomomola because of the way the thing is played. It's a bulky water and defensive Pokemon with its ups and downs, and can be a good choice on certain teams. I would say Slowbro is generally superior. However, if your team would rather have a bulky water able to deal with Pokemon like Weavile better, then Alomomola is a completely okay pick.

Last edited:
-Mega

Okay so, Mega Pidgeot is interesting. In a general RPG game, out of the many attributes available, Mega Pidgeot would best be classified as "Luck." It's not the strongest, but it's one of the fastest mons available. It's not the most versatile, but it has the coveted Flying/Fire coverage. It doesn't nuke with its hurricanes, but under the right "circumstances" it won't need to nuke, and can just roost away while the opponent knocks itself out. Using Mega Pidgeot for your mega slot is like a gamble, (literally, considering hurricane) either using hurricane pays off and you can confuse checks/counters to the point of victory, or those said checks/counters come in and make Pidgeot go from Fight to Flight.

Pros_

Speed and Power
Mega Pidgeot reaches that desireable 121 speed which allows it to outspeed those offensive threats such as Keldeo/Latis/Gengar/Serperior/Starmie/Alakazam and pick them off with STAB hurricane (although it needs to be mega evolved first). It speed ties with Tornadus-T and has the chance to 2HKO through a speed tie (albeit another gamble). The 121 helps it a lot with offense, as well as allow it outspeed nearly every unboosted fighting type, nearly OHKOing the ones weak to flying. Mega Pidgeot's base stat distribution are obviously favorable to Special Attack and Speed, giving it the blanket check potential that it's been living up to.

Ability and Movepool
Mega Pidgeot has the therapeutic ability No Guard, coupled with Hurricane and Heatwave to provide a truly perfect Fire/Flying coverage. This allows it to serve as a great blanket check to a ton of slower things. It also hits on the special side, so coupled with a strong physical attacker that has enough synergy, it should technically be amazing. The availability of Flying+Fire also leave two free slots, which could increase roles that Mega Pidgeot serves. Blanket check to fast defog, or fast u-turn, or Hyper Beam Nuke, or unexpected hidden power. Mega Pidgeot can also play as a stall breaker if Heat wave is sacrificed for Refresh/Work-Up/and Roost.

Cons_

Speed and Power
Although Mega Pidgeot has an amazing speed tier, it's still leaves it outspeed by many other mega evolutions, and other offensive threats. Mega Alakazam, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Manectric all outspeed and, with the exception of Mega Sceptile to an extent, threaten to OHKO it (mega bee does after SR damage). It's also outsped by Regular Aerodactyl and Crobat, who provide much more utility to a team, and weavile which provide priority and a higher damage output (although physical). Weavile also has a 90% chance to beat Mega Pidgeot 1v1, and does a better job at blanket checking. Finally, Mega Pidgeot speed ties with the increasingly infamous Tornadus-T. Torn and Pidg have multiple similarities in their roles, but in this instance Torn is much better. Although hurricanes are only 70% accurate, Tornadus-T provides nearly as much wallbreaking as Mega Pidgeot, except it has much more coverage for its checks and counters, and is much easier to support. And, arguably the most important factor is that Torn-T doesn't take up a mega slot, which allows the team option to patch up any weaknesses Mega Pidgeot may not be able to. Torn also has much more bulk and can be played in either an offensive or defensive role

Ability and Movepool
No Guard, Hurricane, and Heat Wave may be great staple moves, but that's all Mega Pidgeot has going for it. Heat Wave may be somewhat flexible thanks to the stall breaker set, but other than that there's hardly any diversity in Mega Pidgeot's move pool. It's predictable, and No Guard also removes stone edge's bad accuracy, ensuring a huge hit or OHKO. This is also where Torn-T comes into play, as in terms of Ability and Movepool, it's better in every way. There's more versatility, more utility, and more longevity, as the issue of stealth rocks become minimal.

The Meta__
Mega Pidgeot is in no way a bad Pokemon, however it's very hard to justify using it, and subsequently your mega slot, when there are so many better mons to serve its role. For example, Torn-T serves as a better U-Turner because of Regenerator and damage output, and as a blanket check because it has the ability to lure T-tar/Heatran/Rotom and smack them with a Superpower or Knock Off. Mega Pinsir or Talonflame serve as better nukes/wallbreakers because of their ability to more effectively set up and spam their flying stab. And hidden power doesn't hit as hard at Hurricane or Heat Wave most of the time, and when it does, the opposing mon is too bulky to care. The meta at the moment is offensive, and generally Mega Pidgeot does well against offense, however so do other mons. Mega Pidgeot as a Bird Spam wincon is an option, however other options such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and to an extent Staraptor do a better job of hitting things harder and taking care of their checks easier. Strong Physical Attacks in general are great in this meta (hence the popularity of Tanky, defensive mons) which would make one think that this is the opportunity for Mega Pidgeot to shine. Unfortunately, Bulky Offense is really popular, and unless the opposing Pokemon is weak to either flying or fire, mega Pidgeot won't be able to OHKO and will need to rely on hurricane confusing and the foe hitting itself. Mega Pidgeot is stopped by bulky threats such as:
Calm Mind Clefable | Diancie-Mega | Excadrill (check) | Heatran | Thundurus

That's 5 pokemon just in the S to A+ viability rankings that naturally take care of Mega Pidgeot. The meta is strongly in favor of Anti-Bird Spam consisting of Pinsir/Talonflame, and this has caused it to unintentionally be heavily unfavorable to Mega Pidgeot, which means that the meta is not in favor.

The Team__
Btw if any of you have the link to that site where you can export a team and get the sprite icon version of those mons that'd be great

Pidgeot (M) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 132 Atk / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Thunderbolt

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Infernape (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Naive Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Thunder Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

The Process__
First off, I started with Mega Pidgeot of course. I decided to go the standard Blanket Check/Fast U-turn way, and thought about Heatran/Rotom/Bulk in general. Also, something I don't think I mentioned above is that MegaPdgt can tank nothing. Considering how popular fast Electrics are, I decided that some bulk on the special side would be nice, and Conkeldurr came to mind, as it's also a decent option as a mon to U-turn into when a rock type in general comes in on an expected hurricane. Now, Jirachi came in honestly just because I was lurking the contribution section and saw an interesting MixRachi set. It gave me options to further support mega pdgt so I decided to throw it on the team. At this point I realized I was lacking a win-con. Pdgt definitely didn't count as one due to the specific circumstances needed to pull off a sweep, and ConkRachi were just there as support. Thundurus-T came in as it was a way to have a guaranteed kill on Garchomp (it never dies I swear) as well as an electric immunity, and most importantly a win-con. Infernape came in because i was running low on time the team needed a rocker, as well as an expendable way to deal with Sableye and Slowbro. Lastly Mega Pdgt needed hazards to stay off the field in order to be fully effective, so Latios was added for Power and Defog. The third moveslot was up for grabs, so I decided on Thunderwave to take care of those scarf-tars that want to come in and pursuit trap me. It sets them up for Jirachi to Ironhead flinch, or lure out a threat.

Conclusion__
Mega Pidgeot is like the Little Mac of the OU Metagame. There are so many better options, but with the right player, Mega Pidgeot can go all the way. When a player complains about how "bad" Mega Pidgeot is, we here at Allstate Insurance tend to sympathize with the bird, so we ask not the player, but the bird; Mega Pidgeot, are you in good hands?

Last edited:
Mega Pidgeot

Strategies Used

I did not look for too much and went with HO, trying to take advantage of Mega-Pidgeots positive traits, such as its speed and cleaning capabilities, since weakened teams can barely take repeated hurricanes and makes it even worse for them if there is any confusion hax involved.

I have tried using some Balance builds running the stallbreaker set but more than half of the team just ended up being pidgeot supporters.

Team I used

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

So the team is kind of shit imo but it does work fine regardless.

Started right off the bat with Mega Pidgeot as the cleaner of the team, during the Mid-Game you'll better click Hurricane and U-Turn to lure Heatran and Tyranitar, Dugtrio is a classic Mega Pidgeot teammate as it can trap and remove Heatran and Rock Types wich stop Pidgeot coldly, it can also set up Rocks if Garchomp's were removed from game, I added Latios as a source of fire power to punch holes in teams and remove hazards for pidgeot and dugtrio, it kind of emergency checks electrics too but I prefer it over latias on this build because of the power it provides, Azumarill is another wallbreaker and a check to Weavile since it can easily OHKO most of the team, it does also beats Heatran (without Lava Plume hax) and Tytranitar in case of Dugtrio failing at its Job, Garchomp was added as a rock setter, I prefer this set over the typical fat set to avoid the opponent from taking momentum and start nuking stuff right off the bat, the Yache berry is chosen to take HP Ices from electrics or Ice punches from ScarfRachi, last Rotom-W was added as a glue wich prevents me from getting swept by BirdSpam, Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie and physical attackers in general.

Positive Traits

The First thing that comes to mind is that blazing speed that ties with Tornadus-T, that speed is just really benefitial as it gives it the jump over all those base 110s or even the 115s, the difference between both Torn-T and Mega Pidgeot is also their reliability as cleaners, in wich imo Pidgeot is better at just because of 2 things:
  1. Pidgeot's Overall bulk is higher: This is pretty useful when cleaning as it helps you to take priority hits from the likes of Scizor and Azumarill better and retaliate back if they try to stop your cleaning attempt, its also useful vs. faster attackers like Mega Lopunny or Mega Beedrill to name some, as it has better chances of surviving their hits, this is complemented by Pidgeot's access to reliable recovery in Roost.
  2. Pidgeot's main move doesnt miss: Ok this is a funny one, with all the arguments at the VR thread saying RNG is not something to take account when ranking, wich certainly is true, but, how many times did a sweep end just because of a lucky miss? Pidgeot doesnt have that issue and you can be sure you'll get that finishing blow on those weakened targets.
Other than those listed, Pidgeots access to Fire + Flying coverage is just enough to clean weakened teams very well since the metagame's flying resists are just so easy to overwhelm or trapping them with Dugtrio.

Mega Pidgeot can also make up for a good stallbreaker capable of 6-0ing stall teams if it gets enough boosts and the only real answer to the set is CM Unaware Clefable.

There's not too much to talk about anymore because Pidgeot and Torn-T are just very similar at anything they do, so what I basically made was saying Pidgeot's advantages over it.

Negative Traits

Ok the first thing that comes to mind is the lack of raw power, sure Hurricane is a strong move with confusion hax and all, but Mega Pidgeots base 135 Special Attack is kind of below average when compared to other megas like Gardevoir or Alakazam, this is somewhat fixed on the stallbreaker set but running work-up makes you sacrifice either coverage or the ability to gain momentum with U-Turn on the offensive set.

The fact that it takes the mega slot also makes the build limited, this is also complemented by the fact that Mega Pidgeot needs a lot of support to actually work such as removing flying resists from the game, weakening the opposing team and such.

It also faces a lot of competition for the Mega Slot with other other stuff like Diancie, Lopunny and Metagross to name some and this is taken further by the fact that Torn-T can do same job but it doesn't take the mega slot.

Closing Thoughts

I'd not say the Metagame is not in favor, is just very unkind to it because it recieves a lot of competition from other Megas and Torn-T, the prevalence of its checks is not a real reason to dont use it because such checks are very easy to deal with its teammates.

Twixtry

Bentley coupe riding with stars
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Teambuilding
So I wanted to use Pidgeot paired with Dugtrio, partly because I had never used Dugtrio before and wanted to try it, but also because it has great synergy with Pidgeot. It can trap Tyranitar and Heatran, which are both hard counters to Pidgeot. After that I added Talonflame to the team, to form a double bird core with Pidgeot and furthermore abuse Dugtrio trapping a lot of it's counters. Now when you have a team with two birds and a focus sash Dugtrio, hazard control is obviously essential. I also needed a water resist, as my team was very weak to that. The choice was between Starmie and Latios. Eventually I chose defensive Starmie, because I feel like it's a bit more reliable as a spinner. I didn't really know what to add after Starmie, so I just slapped a Clefable on the team, like I usually do when I need a filler mon. Lastly I needed a steel type and a Zard-X check, so I added offensive Heatran to the team.

While this team looks pretty bad on paper (e.g. 3 water weaks with only 1 resist), it actually works pretty decent in-game. I got to around 1700 with it and I didn't ever feel like I couldn't do anything because of the matchup. Obviously it isn't the best team in the world but I didn't have much time to build a good team.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt

Pros
- Amazing speed tier
- 100% accurate Hurricane and Heat Wave
- Longevity due to access to Roost.

Cons
- Very scarce movepool, which leaves it completely walled by several common mons, like Heatran and Tyranitar
- Stealth Rock weakness
- Takes up a mega slot: there aren't many reasons to use it over other mega's
- Sometimes simply not strong enough for a wallbreaker

General Thoughts
(I only used the All-Out Attacker set, so I will only talk about that)
Honestly, I wasn't impressed by Mega Pidgeot. While it is a decent anti-offense mon, I just don't see many reasons to use it over other mega's, like I said before. Another thing that, in my opinion, outclasses it is LO Tornadus-T, which hits harder, has a better movepool, has Regenerator, already has 121 speed before mega-evolving, and doesn't use up your mega slot. The only advantage Pidgeot has is 30% more accuracy on Hurricane and 10% more accuracy on Heat Wave. It also gets Roost, but you rarely actually use that move.
I think Pidgeot's movepool is the thing that's holding it back the most. When Hyper Beam is considered as a valid option, you know it's bad. Pidgeot is simply walled or checked by too many things, which the defeats the entire purpose of a wallbreaker.

Conclusion
Pidgeot is very fast and can be scary for other (mostly offense) teams to face, but it's lackluster movepool leaves it outclassed by too many mons to be a viable threat in the OU metagame.

Mamoswine was a really interesting test subject this go around and I hope we have even more fun ones.

• Pros
So Mamoswine has a nice standing in the metagame right now. It absolutely flourishes due to the abundance of Tornadus-T, Landorus-T, Garchomp, etc. It isn't great in a bulk sense, but it can definitely take a non super-effective hit if it has too. It's power is impressive too, being able to take on a lot of sturdy threats itself. It's also one of those few mons that can get past their checks through a change in moveset. It can lure Slowbro and Rotom-W through Freeze-Dry which is a nice option if your team really needs a way to break past them. Superpower is cool to since it hits Rotom-W and Ferrothorn very hard, especially in Ferrothorn's case it just gets crushed by the next Earthquake it comes in to. Oh and it has a pretty impeccable STAB combination making a safe switch-in to this anti-metagame threat near impossible.
  • Cons
The most crippling flaw in my eyes is its Speed STAT. Base 80 is no longer "averagely fast". It's downright slow in todays metagame filled with threats that easily break the base 100 barrier. It also would love to have a more powerful priority STAB. A base 40 Ice Shard backed by STAB hits decently hard, but it pales in comparison towards a Sucker Punch from Bisharp or a Mach Punch from Breloom. It's bulk as said before is alright but quite lackluster on the special side even with an impressive HP STAT.
  • Sets
I went with two different sets for two different teams. I usually run a physically offensive set with Stealth Rock since it threatens nearly all hazard removers and other setters on its own. The other set was a mixed set which ran Freze-Dry in the final slot.
  • Team
As I said I made two and I'll be honest. They could be better but they were fun to play with

#1 --> Mixed Attacker

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Taunt

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serence Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

Breloom @ Fist Plate
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

The premise behind this team is a nice little VolTurn. Mamoswine and Manectric create a nice core in their own right, Manectric can eliminate Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Tornadus-T was added to help combat stuff like Mega Venusaur and work as a nice Stallbreaker. Yes, I know it doesn't have U-Turn :O Bisharp pretty much 3-0'ed me at that point so I added TankChomp to set up Rocks and take it on. Scarf Jirachi was added to finish the VolTurn and work as a check to a lot of stuff like Latios and Mega Gardevoir. Finally Breloom was added to further check Sand in the least and help stave off Weavile and Bisharp. Pretty simple team and concept really.

#2 --> Stealth Rock + 3 Attacks

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability:
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- U-Turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Defog

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave

This is a more worse team, but the basis is Magnezone offers valuable trapping support of Steel-types for the entire team. Mamoswine sets Rocks and Beedrill pivot alongside Rotom-W. Latios checks Keldeo and Keldeo checks Bisharp and Friends.

Is the Metagame favorable? Yes it is.

closing this now. thanks to everyone who participated!

the posts being added to the archive are this post on mamoswine by -Magic-, this post on mega pidgeot by Recreant, and this post on alomomola by Infernal.

thanks FookMi? for helping me decide on the posts to archive. also, remember: the archived posts are simply the posts that best summarize the pokemon for future reference. not every post needs to summarize the pokemon; some people may just want to center their posts around one aspect, and that's totally okay. you don't need to follow the guidelines perfectly to post here; they're just there to guide you a bit if you're unsure of what to post.

~​

week #3

terrakion | mega gyarados | togekiss
REMEMBER: you simply pick 1 one of these 3 (or 2/3 of them if you want :p) and post here saying which one you're taking. also, you can use any set you want!

the discussion period will start on 2/6; those of you who want to participate have between now and then to play around with one of these pokemon. ^^

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Did you know that Whimsicotts typing is super effective to Mega Gyarados and its typing

Both types too

:{D

Taking M-Gyarados as an excuse to post teams.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
sowwy about forgetting alomomola, ill drop my mono pink team and analysis in a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)