Gen 3 Ozymandias

. : Ozymandias : .

Hello.

After discovering the joy that is ADV, and really developing an affinity for the tier this SPL, I decided to post my favourite team. This is without doubt the team I most enjoy using in ADV, as its fast paced, offensive and features some cool underrated sets.

This team was built around the premise of using high powered sweepers to overwhelm the opposition. With fantastic offensive synergy, each member of the squad works to open up holes that others can exploit. Pivotal to this is the use of explosion and self-destruct, which decimates dedicated walls and provides the set up sweepers the chance to achieve victory.

The Squad:

houdini @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion
- Rock Slide

durrr @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

basterd @ Lum Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 188 Atk / 120 Def / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Counter
- Shadow Ball
- Curse
- Self-Destruct

ponomoxis @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 Atk / 200 SpA / 184 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion
- Ice Punch
- Will-O-Wisp

astral projection @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

whiskers @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Endeavor

Team Analysis:
Fast CB Metagross leads the team, as it matches up favourably against most opposing leads. It is damn near impossible to ohko Metagross so at the very worst you can explode and take the opposing mon down with you. Metagross is an essential wall breaker because its explosion is just too strong. It lures in and eviscerates bulky waters and bulky grasses, which frees up Kingdra to run rampant late game. Alternatively, the opponent may opt to sacrifice their dedicated physical wall like Skarmory, leaving them no way to stop DDTar late game.

Dragon Dance Tyranitar is so dangerous in ADV, and comfortably finds a place on the team. This set has a subtle, yet vital difference compared to the other Tyranitars running around. By running max HP, I sacrifice a little bit of initial power for the ability to get multiple Dragon Dances. At +2 Tyranitar outspeeds the entire tier and is virtually impossible to stop, especially with defensive mons overloaded by the other members of the squad. For example, opposing Swampert have a ridiculously hard time handling the combination of Metagross, Tyranitar and Kingdra. Hidden Power Bug occupies the 4th moveslot because of its ability to do huge damage to Celebi, prompting a late game Kingdra sweep.

Snorlax functions as a great pivot for the team, brushing off special attacks with ease. Triangles posted an interesting Snorlax set with both curse and self-destruct, which was a very cool idea. It is an amazing lure for Forretress and Skarmory, who are lulled in by false sense of security. This particular set is a variation of that Snorlax, running counter over body slam. Counter is a great move due to its immense surprise value, and allows Snorlax to take heavy physical hits at +1 and retaliate with a KO. Lum berry was chosen over leftovers for the ability to take any status from opposing Gengar and kill with shadow ball.

Gengar serves an important role in this team as a chief scout for the opponent's special attack sponge. This allows me to form a plan on how best to manoeuvre Kingdra into a position to sweep. With a hasty nature and some attack investment, Gengar can cripple dedicated special walls such as Blissey, Regice and Snorlax with explosion. This makes Kingdra's sweep a hell of a lot easier to pull off. Gengar's typing, great coverage and special attacking prowess also allows it to function as a nice glue for the squad.

KINGDRA HYPE. The best late game sweeper in ADV, eat a dick Aerodactyl. RD Kingdra can often take down 3-4 members of the opposing team after they have taken prior damage from the other members of the squad. It has awesome natural bulk, allowing it to face off vs other more popular late game mons like Aerodactyl and DDTar. An all too common scenario is that the opponent is forced to sacrifice their field mon in order to sacrifice Tyranitar merely to stop rain. This is without doubt my favourite poke to use in ADV, and is criminally underrated. Even as I type this I can recall user BKC jizzing himself when Golden Sun revealed this bad boy against Dekzeh in SPL.

Endeavour Swampert is a really cool set that isn't seen too much, but is incredibly potent. Every game it gets at least 1 kill. With substitute and endeavour, Swampert can take down a dedicated wall to benefit either Kingdra or Tyranitar. With salac berry, Swampert can even pull off a sweep of its own. Hydro pump gets the nod over surf because the extra power is nice against Skarmory and Gengar, too bad the accuracy always has me grabbing my nuts as I click...

Closing Thoughts:

- ADV is the 2nd best tier ever (only behind DPP UU)
- People should use more Kingdra
- Offense > Stall
- Shoutout to Golden Sun for helping me craft this team into its final form.

pce.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)