Side Partner Monothreat Tournament (PMT) - Season II - Won by TheThorn & Chaitanya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks and glhf to all the participants! Due to having 18 signups and not 16 or 32, we will begin slowly and only have 2 sets in order to create the perfect 16 player bracket for round two where the heat will be turned up! Without further ado, here are the types for all five weeks, player seeds (ty Moosical) and the matchups for week 1;

Week 1: Psychic
Week 2: Rock
Week 3: Fire
Week 4: Poison
Week 5: Dark
(This is just an overview, I will announce each type at the beginning of the week/round so you do not need to refer back here every time)

All the seedings were made based on a number of different factors; Recent Monothreat experience, most notably in Type Expert, familiarity with the players and overall battling skills. If you would like to ask why we placed you where we did, feel free to message me!

1) Webs Water is Still Viable (dhaarma + Sirskit) *Returning Champs*

2) Idk but I hope Thorn carries me (TheThorn + Chaitanya)

3)
(obii + shiloh)

4) Global Idiots (Wyn + Catalystic)

5) Next Level CounterTeam (Smub + Ridley)

6) Hatch is my daddy. (EricSaysHi + Vodoom)

7) Treasure Town Talonflames 2 (Megazard + Quantum Tesseract)

8) Ticken Sucks (Czim + Havens)

9) How Does One Threat? (Sae + Anttya)

10) Golden Sneer (Decem + zugubu royale)

11) Half Laughing (nomadderwhat + ArkenCiel)

12) WHO? WHAT! (Ice Tray + Trichotomy)

13) Sons of Dethroner. (juleocesar + Suspensse)

14) Namrahavel (Namranan + Guwahavel)

15) Oppose a Threat (Hys + Brisked)

16) Emilia > Rem (Escoffier + H4t3r4d3)

17) C-Team and Hax (MCVPodge + Poison Adhesive)

18) Threat is Aids (Mr. Miner + Splashbrutha)

Week 1: Psychic

16. Emilia > Rem vs. 17. C-Team and Hax
Escoffier vs. MCVPodge
H4t3r4d3 vs. Poison Adhesive

15. Oppose a Threat vs. 18. Threat is Aids
Hys vs. Mr. Miner
Brisked Splashbrutha

Please get your game done in a timely fashion. As there are only 2 sets, I will begin the second round early if both sets are done early. Regardless, the deadline for round 1 is Sunday, August 26, 2018, by 11:59 PM EDT. Make sure you schedule where I can see it or post "Contacted" w/ or w/o the scheduled date in order to avoid coin flips!!
Im calling it. MCVPodge will pull a draining knee out of a hat and spank all of us.

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
After a week of deciding the top 16 teams, we are onto round 2;

Week 2: Rock
Matchups:

1. Webs Water is Still Viable vs. 16. Emilia > Rem
dhaarma vs. Escoffier
SirSkit
vs. H4t3r4d3

8. Ticken Sucks vs. 9. How Does One Threat?
czim vs. Sae
Havens vs. Anttya

4. Global Idiots vs. 13. Sons of Dethroner.
Wyn
vs. juleocesar
Catalystic vs. Suspensse

5. Next Level CounterTeam vs. 12. WHO? WHAT?
smub
vs. Ice Tray
Ridley. vs. Trichotomy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Idk but I hope Thorn carries me vs. 18. Threat is Aids
TheThorn
vs. Mr. Miner
Chaitanya vs. Splashbrutha

7. Treasure Town Talonflames 2 vs. 10. Golden Sneer
Megazard vs. Decemm
Quantum Tesseract
vs. zugubu royale

vs. 14. Namrahavel
obii vs. Namranan
rozes
vs. Guwahavel

6. Hatch is my daddy. vs. 11. Half Laughing
EricSaysHi vs. nomadderwhat
Vodoom vs. ArkenCiel
As a little so-called experiment, I was inspired to create a type overview for the type you all will be building/using in the new round in an effort to help deter too many off-the-wall sets. This is by no means shots at r1 teams, just merely an extra resource in addition to the VR.

Anyways, as seen above, the next type for PMT is Rock!
Rock has many different team archetypes to prepare for as well as common strategies to take note of. With only a number of viable Pokemon at its disposal, there is a uniquely wide range of potential strategies to account for.

* Keep in mind that these are not the only archetypes nor are they guaranteed for that specific archetype either. Use them as an example and plan accordingly if there are any other variations you encounter or create!

Webs offense:
  • Shuckle + Terrakion + Mega Diancie / Mega Aerodactyl + Fillers
Some Sticky Webs teams may use some slower Pokemon such as Cradily or Omastar offensively in hopes that the -1 Speed can "negate" their rather slow base Speed. Furthermore, faster Pokemon such as the ones suggested above, can forgo items such as Choice Scarf or may benefit more from promoting Atk/SpAtk rather than their Speed.
Common threats: Mega Diancie, Air Balloon, Choice Scarf, hazard removal (Kabutops/Aero/Archeops), Trick Room, etc...

Balance:
  • Terrakion + Cradily + Carracosta + Fillers
Balance is the most traditional archetype used in Rock Monothreat because of its consistency and ease of use, however, balance can easily be broken and taken advantage of. Playing too defensively/passively can put the user behind in a matter of turns.
Common threats: TR, Sticky Webs, wallbreakers (ex. CB Terrakion), etc...

Trick Room:
  • Stakataka + Cradily + Rhyperior + Speed control + Fillers
Trick room is relatively new to Rock Monothreat in SM with the introduction of Stakataka/Nihilego and the removal of Mega Aggron. The main goal is obvious and so is identifying so not much else to say than don't let them set up/try your best to set up!
Common threats: Stakataka, Rhyperior, Carracosta, weakness reducing berries, etc...

Here are some example sets that I have used in the past with great success:
Goop (Shuckle) (F) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Sticky Web
- Gyro Ball
- Encore
- Stealth Rock

The idea here was that Shuckle's biggest nemesis is Mega Diancie thanks to Magic Bounce always threatening to bounce back the webs. With complete max Atk, min Speed, and a 4x effective move in Gyro Ball, Shuckle now has a way to fend for itself. Similarly, Shuckle's insane bulk allows it to live nearly any unboosted attack making Sturdy worthless imo so this was a great time to try out Gluttony Shuckle for the longevity.
Oogway (Carracosta) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Waterfall
- Iron Head
- Aqua Jet

During the early stages of USUM with the release of Stakataka, I was having troubles finding the most solid answer to Stakastaka under TR for MWP because of its extremely slow natural Speed and ability to gain a +1 Atk upon any knockouts. Carracosta has both Solid Rock, to reduce Earthquake or Superpower, is neutral to Steel, AND is only base 32 Speed. Outside of Stakataka, Carracosta can be useful for its priority and ability to take on any physical attacker such as Terrakion or Rhyperior.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)