Metagame Partners in Crime

I've been messing around with this on ROM, it's goofy but if you can pull it off, really fun.

Malamar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Simple Beam
- Superpower
- Psych Up
- Rock Slide

Victini @ Focus Sash
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Psych Up
- Overheat
- Stored Power

Malamar uses simple beam on Victini, meaning every time it uses V-Create it's getting a Geomancy level boost. Super Power becomes Bulk Up x2. Malamar uses psych up next turn and then they're off to the races with Stored Power.

fat Billybobman said:
Also it seems like disguise only works on the pokemon that has the ability, rather than both mons.

Ukerab said:
As with AAA, some abilities only work on their original Pokémon. That's just how it is.
Oh, sorry, I meant Illusion on zoroark. I got it confused with mimikyu's ability. Illusion works in follow the leader

Last edited:
I've seen a scarfed mon switching moves...

I led Max Speed Alolan Ninetales and Max Speed Greninja. He led Victini and Mienshao.
Turn 1 Victini moves first using HJK and kills Greninja, then Aurora Veil from Ninetales, then Mienshao HJK.
No ability combinations could've made Victini faster, so it's obviously Choice Scarf.

Turn 2 I send in an irrelevant mon as an ally. Double Protect to make Victini crash. Victini goes for V-Create.

What the hell?

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Sleep Talk

Uh... yeah. Both Pokemon share abilities and they both receive the effects of Water Bubble and Adaptability, giving Water-type moves quadrupled (x4) power. Not to mention, they have Choice Bands to increase their attack by 50%, and Crawdaunt gives them both access to Aqua Jet for priority. This is going to hit anything that doesn't resist Water extremely hard. If you don't want to be locked just into one move, you can use Life Orb/Splash Plate over Choice Band and still get lots of power.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Spore
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare

Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

A small gimmicky trio. Smeargle is used for Sporing both of the opponent's Pokemon, as well as some special + physical coverage. Landorus-T is used for double Intimidate, as well as a set-up sweeper. Genesect is used for Download + tons of move coverage.

General strategy here is to start off with Smeargle and Landorus-T for Intimidate and so you can spore both of the opponent's Pokemon. If this is pulled off successfully, switch out Smeargle for Genesect which does another dual Intimidate, as well as download to increase both of the Pokemon's stats. You also want to use Rock Polish for Landorus-T, as Download will either give him an Attack boost or a Sp. Attack boost. Swords Dance can also be used if Download gives you a special attack boost.

I think Kyurem-B deserves a suspect test.

With this meta it gets so many things like a spammable Physical Ice Stab (Ice Punch/Icicle Crash/Ice Shard), and also the chance of getting a weather ability from its ally and be fast as hell as well, without having to run a Choice Scarf.
You can use it on Rain, as a lot of Swift Swimmers do get Ice Punch (Floatzel, Poliwrath...etc), gimmick-like on Sun/Sand, or even better, on Hail.
In the Hail case it means chipping away any Focus Sash, and Aurora Veil support.
Slush Rush Kyurem-B under Aurora Veil, with Icicle Crash and Ice Shard STAB. With possible Teravolt Earthquake coverage (Alolan Sandslash), and other stuff like Superpower, Play Rough, Stone Edge (Beartic).
It can also give Fusion Bolt coverage to those Ice Types teammates, giving them Physical BoltBeam coverage.
Roost is also an option to help teammates that may appreciate it.
And you can still use the Z Freeze Shock (200 BP Subzero Slammer) nuke, since you don't really have that many other physical moves outside of Fusion Bolt and Dragon Claw (Iron Head? Both Sandslash and Beartic get that; Outrage? Bad idea in Doubles).

Kyurem-B is a monster.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Spore
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare

Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

A small gimmicky trio. Smeargle is used for Sporing both of the opponent's Pokemon, as well as some special + physical coverage. Landorus-T is used for double Intimidate, as well as a set-up sweeper. Genesect is used for Download + tons of move coverage.

General strategy here is to start off with Smeargle and Landorus-T for Intimidate and so you can spore both of the opponent's Pokemon. If this is pulled off successfully, switch out Smeargle for Genesect which does another dual Intimidate, as well as download to increase both of the Pokemon's stats. You also want to use Rock Polish for Landorus-T, as Download will either give him an Attack boost or a Sp. Attack boost. Swords Dance can also be used if Download gives you a special attack boost.
Isn't Shuft Gear on Genesect the better choice for a setup move than Swords Dance?

Isn't Shuft Gear on Genesect the better choice for a setup move than Swords Dance?
Since Smeargle switching out and Landorus setting up is on the same turn, Landorus will not have access to Shift Gear on the turn it needs to.
Genesect would also have to have a Hasty nature instead of a Timid nature.

Oh, sorry, I meant Illusion on zoroark. I got it confused with mimikyu's ability. Illusion works in follow the leader
Illusion takes effect before switch in, but ability sharing only takes affect during switch in. (In fact, for Illusion to work, ability sharing would have to take effect before before switch in, so that it would be there ready for before switch in...)
If one 'mon is wearing an Assault Vest, it will still be able to use its partners protect move. Tested w/ Kyurem+Celesteela
I've seen a scarfed mon switching moves...
Odd; choice item mechanics changed in Gen 7 which should make this impossible. (But I'm working on improving the situation anyway, which will also help in the AV case.)

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Illusion takes effect before switch in, but ability sharing only takes affect during switch in. (In fact, for Illusion to work, ability sharing would have to take effect before before switch in, so that it would be there ready for before switch in...)

Odd; choice item mechanics changed in Gen 7 which should make this impossible. (But I'm working on improving the situation anyway, which will also help in the AV case.)
Does that mean baton Pass or a switching move would work for the partner who is being lent the ability to switch out with a move, while the original ability holder stays in?

Komala @ Leftovers
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Protect
- Sleep Talk
- Sucker Punch
- U-Turn

Murkrow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Whirlwind
- Thunder Wave
- Endure
- Snatch

+ Any hazard setter; something that can violently dispose of itself is ideal, so you can lead with it and get Komala+Murkrow in clean.

Comaphasing was always """"fun"""" but now it's at +1 priority! Counters include: Psychic terrain, faster priority, Magic Bounce, Magic Guard.
Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Bruxish @ Life Orb
Ability: Dazzling
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Swords Dance
- Protect

So here's a core based around doing hella damage at +0 Priority with boosted Speed and backing it up with Dazzling Bruxish, which thanks to Strong Jaw's stacking, can easily bluff Strong Jaw itself. Or if you like living dangerously you can just go for the 2x Strong Jaw combo and slot in Lele or something. I think this should all speak for itself, so I'll just run some calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Strong Jaw Barbaracle Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 408-480 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
-2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Salamence-Mega: 255-302 (64.7 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Bruxish Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 128+ Def Tapu Fini: 368-434 (106.9 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Bruxish Psychic Fangs vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marshadow: 268-320 (83.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now you may be wondering, "This is all nice and good, but how are you supposed to find the space to let these fragile mons set up?" to which I answer, figure it out ya damn self.
Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Floral Healing / Synthesis
- Synthesis / Helping Hand
- Protect

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Draining Punch
- Close Combat / Shadow Sneak
- Spectral Thief
- Hidden Power Ice / Shadow Sneak

Triage outspeeds -ate, which should be enough to make you take notice. Marshadow and Comfey have a fun little synergy with Technician Draining Kiss. Check this out:

252+ SpA Life Orb Technician Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Salamence-Mega: 257-304 (65.2 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Technician Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 240 HP / 152 SpD Zygarde: 229-273 (54.9 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 88-105 (31.3 - 37.3%) -- 84.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Technician Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 164-192 (58.3 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Roserade might be a viable partner for this, since it also benefits from Comfey's Triage with Giga Drain and still gives Technician.
Bewear @ Silk Scarf / Chople Berry
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Shadow Claw
- Protect

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
IVs: 7 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Protect

+ Trick Room

Fluffy halves damage from contact moves and grants a Fire weakness. Flash Fire blocks Fire-type moves. (whispers) It's free real estate damage reduction.
Venomoth @ Focus Sash

Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rage Powder
- Tailwind
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

One hell of a support mon. Tinted Lens donation is fantastic, and it has an array of moves that can assist your teammate. It can't take hits, but played properly, it should only need to stay on the field for one turn to make a serious impact. If you're feeling generous, you can even give it a STAB move. ^_^

my dude that meme was perfect

(A crappy) Doubles player here, here are my thoughts on the format.
  • Partners In Crime seems much faster compared to DOU. I only get to use Curse for Snorlax just once per battle whereas I can use it twice in DOU. That or my spread for Snorlax isn't correct at the time. I also got played around more often than I expected.
  • Weather is ridiculously good in Partners in Crime. I have a build another team specifically to counter rain teams.
  • I honestly don't get the hype of Dancer for just one reason: Oricorio isn't good.
  • Of all things that should be banned in DOU, I feel like Geomancy should be the first to go. It's pretty difficult to stop without Roar, Trick Room or Haze. Despite including Roar in my team, I never get the memo of using Roar on Thundurus. As of Prankster Spore, that could be easily dealt with Electric Terrain, Misty Terrain, and Psychic Terrain. Though I did fall from it several times. Nope never mind normalize is the first to go
I think Kyurem-B deserves a suspect test.

With this meta it gets so many things like a spammable Physical Ice Stab (Ice Punch/Icicle Crash/Ice Shard), and also the chance of getting a weather ability from its ally and be fast as hell as well, without having to run a Choice Scarf.
You can use it on Rain, as a lot of Swift Swimmers do get Ice Punch (Floatzel, Poliwrath...etc), gimmick-like on Sun/Sand, or even better, on Hail.
In the Hail case it means chipping away any Focus Sash, and Aurora Veil support.
Slush Rush Kyurem-B under Aurora Veil, with Icicle Crash and Ice Shard STAB. With possible Teravolt Earthquake coverage (Alolan Sandslash), and other stuff like Superpower, Play Rough, Stone Edge (Beartic).
It can also give Fusion Bolt coverage to those Ice Types teammates, giving them Physical BoltBeam coverage.
Roost is also an option to help teammates that may appreciate it.
And you can still use the Z Freeze Shock (200 BP Subzero Slammer) nuke, since you don't really have that many other physical moves outside of Fusion Bolt and Dragon Claw (Iron Head? Both Sandslash and Beartic get that; Outrage? Bad idea in Doubles).

Kyurem-B is a monster.
I disagreed. Physical attackers aren't as good in Doubles with the presence of Intimidate (which is pretty busted here) and burn. So if you want to use Kyurem-Black, works best as a mixed attacker. There are also several factors that can stop them like Psychic Terrain blocking priority move like Ice Shard and the opponent could send out another weather setter so Aurora Veil can't be activated.

And don't even bother using Z-Freeze Shock in Doubles. Nope, I was wrong.

If anything, Kyurem-Black is actually a benefit for Partners In Crime. With Teravolt, Kyurem and its teammate can attack anything with Levitate or Flash Fire with Ground- or Fire-type moves (respectively) as well as demolishing gimmicks. While there are several other Mold Breaker user, they aren't as effective compared to Kyurem-Black.

Last edited:
can we ban Spore + prankster? I mean its pretty op being able to put both to sleep with priority and being able to set up

I found a fun Combo I might as well share

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake/rock slide
- Facade
- cross chop/ anything you want ;)

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Jolly/adamant Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Leech Seed/swords dance
- Seed Bomb

This is just one of the many combinations you can use, they both protect first turn for the speed boost and you either spore and set up or proceed to hit hard with façade while healing

I chose Ursaring with breloom because gliscor is hella weak to ice (KyuB have mercy) and Ursaring has alot of coverage options to aid breloom in battle with, feel free to use this or if you don't want the recovery you can opt for a guts/quick feet combo, like this:

Mightyena @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Throat Chop
- Play Rough/ice fang
- Sucker Punch
- Protect/swords dance

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly/adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off/megahorn
- Swords Dance/protect
Throat Chop is specifically to stop Noivern's Boomburst, besides that, the evs can be manipulated just to speed creep some threats, I only posted to share it before I forgot

A nice combo that I tried.
Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Destiny Bond

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Foul Play
- Play Rough / something not weak to intimidate spam

Gardevior passes a juicy movepool, Klefki passes a juicy ability. Tracing the ability of the opponent is very nice: you can steal abilities like weather stuff and dancer, and you can use the play style of the opponent against him/her. Protect and Substitute lets you scout the opponent; if it sets up, it gets encored, if it doesn't it gets dbonded or paralyzed. If you are a Dark type and you are immune to encore (boosted), you eat moonblast. Foul play gets past intimidate spam and punish set up with encore preventing any attack.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-668413810
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-668404076

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
With so many gimmicky teams I feel like I wanna post an actual team lol. It features many of the elements that are considered to be powerful rn.
It has a double intimidate core to combat sand, a sunny day user for rain, geomancy set-up on koko and endgame cleaners in naganadel and snorlax. Ladder is ass rn but I'm first by between 50-100 points so the team isnt that bad.
Team pastebin

Smeargle is often a lead, though it's useful to switch out for an intimidate user once it's done its job in the first 2 turns as it can be rather useless after. Later in the game it can still be very useful to fake out sashed mons and get a spore off. Combined with koko it forms a fake out+geomancy core which allows koko to set up for little cost. It can use follow me to redirect moves (including roar and encore) while koko fires off +2 attacks, or it can switch out for an intimidate user. Spore is made useless by koko's terrain sometimes, but still regularly finds use against flying mons or while leading with a different partner.

Naganadel is a fast tailwind user and useful if you see a teammate (like mence) can finish off an opponent to give it a beast boost. Alongside other mons it can provide coverage, or fire off a dragonium nuke. Though not in the core of the team, it provides a different possibility for a geomancy user which can scare off mons that would scare koko.

Part of the double intimidate core, it works very well vs sand. Scarf lando is the fastest on the team and provides some coverage that snorlax can use as well. It works very well with Salamence as the opponents will be at -3/-4 attack and lando can fire off earthquakes. It uses u-turn a lot to shuffle in and out for intimidates.

I've chosen a bulky koko spread with enough speed to outspeed excadrill in sand after a geomancy. Protect is vital and you should use it often while your teammate gets the chip in for koko to finish it off at +2. With two intimidate users and a specially defensive spread, you can take hits very well from both sides, especially after geo-ing up. Volt is most useful for teammates who can volt out into intimidate users while still getting some good damage off in electric terrain while koko protects. It's also a great answer vs lele as it can geomancy against non-scarf leles while smeargle can fake out scarf leles turn 1.

Mega mence is somehow allowed in this meta. As lando+snorlax are physical, I've chosen a special mence set that can receive coverage from naganadel. Hyper voice is obviously its main move and can circumvent subs. It has enough bulk to set up tailwinds quite often. You'll want to wait with mega evolving mence until you don't need its intimidates anymore, especially if you've sacrificed landorus earlier on.

Snorlax is the only really bulky pokemon on the team, and can often solo teams with its bulky spread after a belly drum. It's a standard recycle set and works well with Naganadel who can give it a SpD beast boost while the intimidaters can help its physical defense.

Some replays vs top 5 ppl
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-668416478
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7partnersincrime-668477352

The team is still quite weak to fast ice beamers, maybe I can switch naga for something.

Last edited:
Does that mean baton Pass or a switching move would work for the partner who is being lent the ability to switch out with a move, while the original ability holder stays in?
Sorry, but I can't figure out what it is you want to know...

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Sorry, but I can't figure out what it is you want to know...
I meant if switching doesn’t allow the partner to copy Illusion as an ability, does using a move that causes a switch work with a partner copying Illusion?

I.e. would the partner copy the same Illusion as the last Pokémon in the party?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)