SS OU Peaked Top 3 Ladder OU with over 2000+ ELO - Hyper Offense destroys everything

What moveset and evs would you recommend for blacephalon?
Either scarf:

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Taunt

You can also run:
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic (for toxapex) or psyshock (for blissey) or trick

Or substitute + calm mind with SpA Boost through beast boost:

Blacephalon @ Heavy-Duty Boots or Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Or substitute + calm mind with Speed Boost through beast boost:

Blacephalon @ Heavy-Duty Boots or Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

What item are you using on Kartana? I noticed in the replays it wasn't Life Orb.
Yep, its LO. Kartana needs the boost after sacrificing its ATK for speed boosts after a kill. Fortunately, this is made up for by its great Def and it can tank some special hits even with a very low SpD stat due to a max HP investment.

Do you use any specific moveset and evs on volcarona or is it just bulky quiver dance

Personally I like max hp and max defense, with quiver dance/roost/flamethrower and psychic/bug buzz

But of course you can also run max hp max speed, or max speed max spA

I tried safeguard also, but didnt really like it that much tbh

Which 6th Pokémon do you think would be best if I was using the first 4 with speed boost kartana? Also thx for answering my other questions.

Do you think Polteageist could work here? It'd be pretty good at breaking steels and dark types for Mew/Kyurem under screens with a white herb.
Poltegiest is more of an option for Lele, since it requires not being hit by priority to effectively sweep a team as many carry prio and Polteagiest doesn't have access to priority or bulk to combat this weakness, compared to similar sweepers such as Cloyster. Additionally, it really isn't any good at breaking steels as its only other reliable coverage options such as Giga Drain or Psychic / Psyshock / Stored Power are resisted by steel, and every defensive steel in the tier doesn't mind taking +2 STAB Shadow Ball from it, which is all the boosting it will ever really get in any given match on average.

Similar interactions occur with dark types such as Bisharp (which also shares steel typing), Weavile, and Tyrantiar, which leaves it heavily support reliant. Overall, it just doesn't work in the tier outside of specific supports.

If you really want to try it you can, however, it's very niche and often ends up being a wasted slot in the team.

Which 6th Pokémon do you think would be best if I was using the first 4 with speed boost kartana? Also thx for answering my other questions.
It's all about picking coverage, there really isn't a specific answer for that as team composition is reliant on the playstyle you're running and what you prefer.

Its just preference, try various mons and stick to one of them that you feel puts in the most work

Do you think Polteageist could work here? It'd be pretty good at breaking steels and dark types for Mew/Kyurem under screens with a white herb.
Sadly, no. Polteageist has a hard time breaking dark types like mandibuzz or tyranitar and you need to get these out of the way to open the game up for a mew sweep. I like polteageist a lot, but it doesn't fit on this team.

Basically Smashburn has already said it all :)

Just curious, what do the SpD and Def EVs on Kyurem specifically do?

Since I put 248 in HP and 32 in Speed, I got 228 EVs left. So for a balanced bulk, I split them and put half in defense and the other half in special defense. If you set 114 EVs in each defense, you get 244 defense and 244 special defense (since both their base is 90). If you even set 112 EVs in defense and 116 EVs in special defense, your special defense actually raises by 1 point from 244 to 245, while the defense remains at 244.

Trying out some new mons and was wondering what item you used on haxorus?
I like lum berry a lot on physical setup sweepers, because of two reasons. After a sword dance or dragon dance, they become very powerful anyway, so life orb is not always needed. But a paralysis or burn instantly shuts the mon down. Many opponents even try to fish for a burn with scald, allowing you to setup further cause you got the berry. Also I often found myself in a szenario, where I would setup and tank a hit, leaving me with few Hp and then only getting a few hits off, before dieing to life orb.

But it's just my preference, you can of course also run life orb if you want. Other items than lum berry or life orb are not really taken into my consideration.

I was looking at the mons for ou and thought of this set for jirachi

Jirachi @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

Any suggestions on changes would be appreciated as well as other sets

I was looking at the mons for ou and thought of this set for jirachi

Jirachi @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

Any suggestions on changes would be appreciated as well as other sets
I feel like the downside of using Jirachi is elevating your weakness to Ghosts, specifically Specs Dragapult, which is already a threat to the team since Infiltrator ignores screens, and Kyruem’s Subs, as well as further adding to the weakness that Dark types that Mew is already walled by. You’d be better served by using Weavile, or Scarfed Blacephalon or Kartana.

—————

I’ve been using this team a while and it’s quite good. Taunt Hawlucha 6-0s a lot of builds and Kyruem is facing a potential suspect test, given how badly it screws with its own checks.

But then there’s Taunt Mew. Taunt Mew is justly called a demon. I daresay the ladder took some notes because Demon Mew and Stored Power... everything... is all over the meta now. Also I’m seeing active counter measures in response, like Fast Toxic Garchomp, CM Mystic Fire Hatterene and Band Zarude all for Demon Mew. You know your team has hit it big when you start seeing random stuff like that to counter it!

—————

The biggest issue with this team I’ve found is that it totally folds to Trick Room. Kartana and Blacephalon do.... okay-ish... against TR if they get a boost going, but in all likelihood TR is going up at least twice and this team cannot stomach hits from Marowak and Melmetal.

An idea I tried, I added Electric Seed CM Reunclius as a secondary SP sweeper.

Reuniclus (M) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

If on team preview your opponent has a Dark type, or a has fast Toxic user in the wings, or is an obvious Trick Room team, Renu becomes your sweeper of choice over Mew.

Electric Seed lets Renuclius beat the most common dark types with Focus Blast for Mew, as Knock Off is no longer a threat, while also being immune to Marowak’s Poltergeist for the TR mu. Min speed is for the TR mu, since Mew still beats Hazers like Toxapex anyway, while Kyruem handles Clear Smog bois like Gastrodon and Amoongus.

Magic Guard ensures Renu doesn’t care about weather chip, burns, Toxic, Sludge Wave poisons from Glowking, Leech Seed or Magma Storm or Whirlpool chip. Focus Blast let’s it easily dispatch Ferrothorn and Heatran quickly for Kyruem.

Renu is a pretty solid pick here, with some 6-0 mus of its own. Still, the extra ghost weakness and fast Taunters (Tornadus) is still unfortunate, in general. Also, watch out if your opponent has Darkiest Lariet.

————-

Here’s my other anecdote: I’m ashamed to say that after some labbing of my own, the 5th and 6th members I wound up with the most success with were Scarf Obstagoon and some cheesy Quick Claw Belly Drum Slowbro-G cancer.

Obstagoon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Switcheroo
- Parting Shot

Scarf Obstagoon served me well in freeing up Mew to sweep, and sometimes Kyruem. First, Goon provides a Ghost immunity, which is really handy against Choice locked Ghosts targeting Mew, before it sets up. Second, a fast Knock Off is just as spammable as you’d imagine; it catches Specs Dragapults trying to U-Turn out with a surprisingly quick Knock Off (in fact I always lead with Goon when I see a Dragapult for this very reason). With 4 sp def, Goon survives Scarf Blacephalon’s Overheat and kills with Knock Off. Gengar, pfft. Knock Off also takes away Scarf Fini’s ability to stop Mew with Trick and removes some Rocky Helmets for Hawlucha. Fun bonus: Defiant makes it gain an attack boost from Intimidate, meaning Knock Off is always a juicy hit against Lando, while also depriving it of Leftovers. Next move; it nails troublesome Dark types like T-Tar, Weavile and Bisharp with a fast Close Combat, also enabling Mew’s, Kyruem or Hawlucha’s sweep. Rounding out the set, I used Switcheroo, which is useful against ruining defensive walls (Kyruem thanks you) and helps against the aforementioned Trick Room MU. Finally Parting Shot, which eases switch predictions and effortlessly gets in a sweeper for set up against a weakened offensive threat, which also helps take some pressure off Koko to set up screens. Scarf Goon’s a good offensive, defensive and utility pivot all in one, baby. Give it a try.

————

Slowbro-Galar (M) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Quick Draw
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Belly Drum
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- Shell Side Arm

Belly Drum Slowbro-G is the cheesiest, most inconsistent shit set that shouldn’t be taken seriously, but it happily exploits Fairies and Fighting moves (which is especially easy to pull off when combined with Switcheroo Scarf Obstagoon). What I will say is that, it’s also legitimately good against the TR mu with minimum speed, no luck needed, which is a valuable attribute for this team that must be respected.

Though luck based, after a BD, it can’t be outright walled, even by Unaware Clef, since it loses to Poison STAB regardless. Only Offensive threats will do, and there’s a nice 50% chance of Slowbro moving first. If the opponent responds with their Ghost or Dark type, and loses the dice roll, you’re all the move likely to with with Mew. If the first Drain Punch heals it, it most likely won’t die to a subsequent physical hit the the bulk investment. Outside TR, it gets its fair share of (undeserved) kills against faster mons it has no right to beat.

That my take. Nice team, Scorpia!

Last edited:
I feel like the downside of using Jirachi is elevating your weakness to Ghosts, specifically Specs Dragapult, which is already a threat to the team since Infiltrator ignores screens, and Kyruem’s Subs, as well as further adding to the weakness that Dark types that Mew is already walled by. You’d be better served by using Weavile, or Scarfed Blacephalon or Kartana.

—————

I’ve been using this team a while and it’s quite good. Taunt Hawlucha 6-0s a lot of builds and Kyruem is facing a potential suspect test, given how badly it screws with its own checks.

But then there’s Taunt Mew. Taunt Mew is justly called a demon. I daresay the ladder took some notes because Demon Mew and Stored Power... everything... is all over the meta now. Also I’m seeing active counter measures in response, like Fast Toxic Garchomp, CM Mystic Fire Hatterene and Band Zarude all for Demon Mew. You know your team has hit it big when you start seeing random stuff like that to counter it!

—————

The biggest issue with this team I’ve found is that it totally folds to Trick Room. Kartana and Blacephalon do.... okay-ish... against TR if they get a boost going, but in all likelihood TR is going up at least twice and this team cannot stomach hits from Marowak and Melmetal.

An idea I tried, I added Electric Seed CM Reunclius as a secondary SP sweeper.

Reuniclus (M) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

If on team preview your opponent has a Dark type, or a has fast Toxic user in the wings, or is an obvious Trick Room team, Renu becomes your sweeper of choice over Mew.

Electric Seed lets Renuclius beat the most common dark types with Focus Blast for Mew, as Knock Off is no longer a threat, while also being immune to Marowak’s Poltergeist for the TR mu. Min speed is for the TR mu, since Mew still beats Hazers like Toxapex anyway, while Kyruem handles Clear Smog bois like Gastrodon and Amoongus.

Magic Guard ensures Renu doesn’t care about weather chip, burns, Toxic, Sludge Wave poisons from Glowking, Leech Seed or Magma Storm or Whirlpool chip. Focus Blast let’s it easily dispatch Ferrothorn and Heatran quickly for Kyruem.

Renu is a pretty solid pick here, with some 6-0 mus of its own. Still, the extra ghost weakness and fast Taunters (Tornadus) is still unfortunate, in general. Also, watch out if your opponent has Darkiest Lariet.

————-

Here’s my other anecdote: I’m ashamed to say that after some labbing of my own, the 5th and 6th members I wound up with the most success with were Scarf Obstagoon and some cheesy Quick Claw Belly Drum Slowbro-G cancer.

Obstagoon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Switcheroo
- Parting Shot

Scarf Obstagoon served me well in freeing up Mew to sweep, and sometimes Kyruem. First, Goon provides a Ghost immunity, which is really handy against Choice locked Ghosts targeting Mew, before it sets up. Second, a fast Knock Off is just as spammable as you’d imagine; it catches Specs Dragapults trying to U-Turn out with a surprisingly quick Knock Off (in fact I always lead with Goon when I see a Dragapult for this very reason). With 4 sp def, Goon survives Scarf Blacephalon’s Overheat and kills with Knock Off. Gengar, pfft. Knock Off also takes away Scarf Fini’s ability to stop Mew with Trick and removes some Rocky Helmets for Hawlucha. Fun bonus: Defiant makes it gain an attack boost from Intimidate, meaning Knock Off is always a juicy hit against Lando, while also depriving it of Leftovers. Next move; it nails troublesome Dark types like T-Tar, Weavile and Bisharp with a fast Close Combat, also enabling Mew’s, Kyruem or Hawlucha’s sweep. Rounding out the set, I used Switcheroo, which is useful against ruining defensive walls (Kyruem thanks you) and helps against the aforementioned Trick Room MU. Finally Parting Shot, which eases switch predictions and effortlessly gets in a sweeper for set up against a weakened offensive threat, which also helps take some pressure off Koko to set up screens. Scarf Goon’s a good offensive, defensive and utility pivot all in one, baby. Give it a try.

————

Slowbro-Galar (M) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Quick Draw
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Belly Drum
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- Shell Side Arm

Belly Drum Slowbro-G is the cheesiest, most inconsistent shit set that shouldn’t be taken seriously, but it happily exploits Fairies and Fighting moves (which is especially easy to pull off when combined with Switcheroo Scarf Obstagoon). What I will say is that, it’s also legitimately good against the TR mu with minimum speed, no luck needed, which is a valuable attribute for this team that must be respected.

Though luck based, after a BD, it can’t be outright walled, even by Unaware Clef, since it loses to Poison STAB regardless. Only Offensive threats will do, and there’s a nice 50% chance of Slowbro moving first. If the opponent responds with their Ghost or Dark type, and loses the dice roll, you’re all the move likely to with with Mew. If the first Drain Punch heals it, it most likely won’t die to a subsequent physical hit the the bulk investment. Outside TR, it gets its fair share of (undeserved) kills against faster mons it has no right to beat.

That my take. Nice team, Scorpia!

Very well said! Yes, trick room is quite hard to play against, I haven't thought of reuniclus but I can imagine that it puts in a shit ton of work versus trick room teams. Also scarf obstagoon catches many opponents by surprise, I will definitely give it a try. So far I never tried slowbro-galar because, as you said, it pretty much relies on luck whether it can put in work or gets instantly killed, but nonetheless the set sounds interesting.

Glad you enjoy the team! :) I will for sure try out your suggestions

IPF

sundown
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Meant to post here a while ago, but I used some variant of this team every round in my seasonal run and it was really effective. Some neat sets with a ton of autowin potential (can definitely say I won games I had no business winning with my quality of play), not much thinking required, and lots of wiggle room with the last 2 mons. Appreciate you sharing it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)