Other [PET MOD - SylveMons] I'm Still Here (1,000th Post)

Before you ask, yes, Pet Mod RMTs are allowed, I asked. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that.

SylveMons is a community-based Pet Mod where new moves, abilities, items, and small adjustments to Pokemon (type change, move additions, ability additions) are added via community vote.
Resources for context: Thread - Doc of Changes - The SylveMons Open (Time Warp Meta) - OU Viability Rankings - Playable Here

Changes relevant to the team:
Eviolith - Attack/Special Attack clone of the Eviolite
Double Kick - Each hit is now 50 BP
Fairy Charge - Fairy-type Double-Edge
Anguish Bandanna/Distress Glass/Agony Boots - Item that boosts the Attack/Special Attack/Speed of the holder by 1.33x, but the user can't use the same move twice in a row
Jirachi - Now Steel/Fairy
Housekeeping - (After taking hazard damage) The user removes hazards on switch-in
Light Ball - Now compatible with Pichu, Raichu, Raichu-Alola, Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, and Togedemaru
Ion Absorb - 80 BP Special Electric-type move that applies the Charge effect after use
Raichu - Now has Scrappy
Scrappy - Now ignores all immunities

Blaze/Overgrow/Torrent/Swarm - Now Steelworker clones for their respective types
Guard Up - Download clone for Defense and Special Defense
Technician - Now effects moves up to 75 BP
Serperior - Now Grass/Dragon and learns Draco Meteor
Surge Surfer - Now doubles Speed in all terrains. Because of this and the Light Ball, Raichu-Alola is currently Ubers
I'M STILL HERE
Nearly 2.5 years ago, I joined Smogon.
30 months and 1,000 posts later, it's time to celebrate.

This is my 1,000th post, so I thought what better way to celebrate than to post a RMT. But not just any RMT, as I haven't played normal tiers all that much since my last RMT. Because of this, I thought it would be appropriate to do a RMT on a metagame that I've devoted the majority of my time on Smogon to for the past few months: SylveMons.

I love this metagame, even with the numerous kinks that still need working out as it is a young Pet Mod, and I love that I finally achieved a goal I had ever since I discovered Pet Mods, which was to run one myself. I contributed early on to the project and then one thing led to another, I became the "tier leader," and now here we are.

Step 1

I started with Combusken, as since this team is in celebration, it's only appropriate to start with my favorite Pokemon. Plus, since the Eviolith exists and Speed Boost is a broken ability, Combusken isn't completely dead-weight either.
Step 2

Using a frail Fire-type means that a somewhat bulky check to Water and Ground-types is greatly appreciated, so that's where Tapu Bulu comes in. Grassy Surge also helps Combusken tank an Earthquake and gradually heal Flare Blitz recoil.
Step 3

I immediately started thinking about my Ground-type options on a team with Tapu Bulu, and one of the best ones by far is Zygarde, who's Thousand Arrows is still full power. Zygarde also prevent free Volt Switches from the many Electric-types in OU.
Step 4

To complete a powerful offensive Fire/Water/Grass core, Ash Greninja was chosen thanks to its power, speed, and access to priority. Greninja also provides hazards in Spikes if I choose to run them.
Step 5

Jirachi is the queen of SylveMons thanks to its ability in Housekeeping immediately removing hazards, as well as its great new Steel/Fairy-typing, making it a great defensive pivot. Jirachi also completes a very bulky Dragon/Fairy/Steel core with Zygarde and Tapu Bulu.
Step 6

With a slow U-Turner added, another Pokemon to keep up momentum would be great, as well as another strong special attacker. Raichu covers both of these bases and more, as well as providing a way to beat down Flying-types, especially Gyarados.
Step 7

Infernape is the replacement of choice for Combusken after getting past the sentimental value, boasting the same great offensive typing, higher stats (especially initial speed), an open item slot, and a boosting ability in Blaze.

THE TEAM

Pollyanna (Combusken) (F) @ Eviolith
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Double Kick
- Protect
- Swords Dance​

At first glance, Pollyanna the Combusken here seems like an unorthodox choice and that's because it is. It's frail, slow as molasses before 1 or 2 Speed Boosts, not super strong, and struggles to set up. However, even after all of that, Combusken isn't completely dead weight. The Eviolith gives Combusken an effective Choice Band boost, giving it 403 Attack at no cost. This means that Flare Blitz packs a huge punch to anything neutral to it and chunk frailer Pokemon that resist it, specifically OHKOing or 2HKOing metagame threats in Jirachi, Kartana, Mega Scizor, Tapu Koko, Magearna, Greninja, Tapu Lele, and more. Double Kick, now at 50 BP, is a great STAB move for Combusken and can destroy Substitutes as well. It also covers some ground that Flare Blitz can't, like OHKOing Gren instead of 2HKOing and having a chance to OHKO Heatran. Protect is needed to get a free Speed Boost, getting to 343 Speed after 1. Protect can also scout out the opponent's moveset. Lastly, Swords Dance pushes Combusken's Attack to extreme levels, allowing Combusken to effectively sweep, especially since if you get a Swords Dance off, you're almost guaranteed to have 2 Speed Boosts at that point.

goku monkey (Infernape) (M) @ Agony Boots
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

Getting past sentimental value, Infernape is definitely the best choice to fill the a similar role. Infernape's ability Blaze in SylveMons is a Fire-type Steelworker clone, boosting Flare Blitz to a disgusting 270 BP after STAB. Close Combat fills the same needs Combusken's Double Kick, smacking Heatran and Ash-Gren, as well as Chansey. U-Turn provides momentum, allowing Infernape to pivot out of a bad situation or forced switch, while chunking Psychic-types. Swords Dance could also be used in this slot to serve the same exact role as Combusken, trading Speed Boost for better bulk and initial Speed. Gunk Shot allows Infernape to dispatch the Tapus, particularly Tapu Fini, with relative ease. The Agony Boots give a Infernape a Speed stat of 460, outspeeding the whole unboosted metagame while still being able to (read: forced to) switch moves.

Tapu Boolin (Tapu Bulu) @ Anguish Bandanna
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Fairy Charge
- Superpower

Tapu Boolin is the definition of a wallbreaker. The power boost from Grassy Surge on its Grass Attacks and the 1.33x Attack boost from the Anguish Bandanna means that nothing wants to switch-in to this without a 4x resistance most of the time. Both of its Grass-type moves take advantage of this, with Horn Leech healing for a good amount each time it hits and Wood Hammer dealing devastating damage to most Pokemon. STAB Fairy Charge hits what Grass STAB cannot, like Zapdos, Tornadus, Mega Charizard X, and Dragons. Finally, Superpower rounds its coverage, hitting the Steel-types that resist Grass and Fairy, like Ferrothorn and Klinklang, for huge damage.

Big Z (Zygarde) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Aura Break
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 228 Atk / 68 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed​

Zygarde does Zygarde things, with this being the Double Dance as it fits the offensive archetype this team goes for and I personally prefer it to the Banded set, plus a more reliable setup sweeper is nice for the team. Dragon Dance and Coil both boost Zygarde's damage output whilst improving its okay Speed tier and already great physical bulk respectively, allowing Zygarde to move first to KO the opponent and take a hit if the opponent was able to. Thousand Arrows is a Zygarde staple, allowing it to hit the numerous Electric and Steel-types in SylveMons OU, like Raichu, Togedemaru, Tapu Koko, Celesteela, Metagross, Zapdos, and more and being able to ground levitators. Thousand Arrows also allow Zygarde to have Ground STAB that isn't weakened by Grassy Terrain. Extreme Speed provides much needed priority, picking off frailer targets and allowing Zygarde to clean even if it only got off Coils and no Dragon Dances. The Figy Berry gives Zygarde some recovery at low health, making setting up much safer.

/

Shinobi (Greninja-Ash) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Ash Greninja is a great special attacker for the team. Ash Greninja's high Special Attack and Speed helps the team greatly, outspeeding and dealing huge damage to Tapu Koko, Kartana, Flygon and more while having priority to deal with weakened Agony Boots users and Mega Aerodactyl even before transforming. Hydro Pump is Greninja's main way of dealing damage, hitting the aforementioned threats as well as Tapu Lele, Landorus, and Heatran for huge damage. When boosted by the Waterium Z, Gren can get a guaranteed KO to activate Battle Bond or power through checks like Magearna. Dark Pulse is a weaker but safer option for Greninja, hitting the Lati twins, Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Meloetta. Water Shuriken is an amazing priority that, as stated earlier, can revenge kill opponents at low health and frailer Pokemon weak to Water like Aerodactyl, Offensive Landorus, and Inernape. Lastly, Spikes weakens the opposing team, allowing the whole team to pressure defensive checks more effectively.

Versace (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Housekeeping
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock​

Jirachi is the Landorus of SylveMons. Not because it has an overwhelming offense or an unbreakable defense, but because of its nearly unrivaled utility with the ability Housekeeping, only matched by Chansey who gets the same ability. Housekeeping removes hazards (and Trick Room) on switch-in, eliminating the need for hazard removal. Jirachi's typing and moves allow it to achieve this extremely well, as Jirachi doesn't mind hazard damage with its Steel-typing, has U-Turn to pivot out constantly, allowing it to come back in later, and Wish to sustain itself or the teammate it just cleared hazards for. Stealth Rock adds even more utility, chipping away at the opponent and breaking sashes. Lefties, along with Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain, keep Jirachi healthy when it's not receiving its Wishes.

Cheddar (Raichu) (M) @ Light Ball
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ion Absorb
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Raichu is a pretty crazy Pokemon in SylveMons. On one hand, it still has a lot of Raichu's old problems, like frailty, weakness to priority, and a good but not great Speed tier. However, thanks to the tweaks to the Light Ball and Scrappy, Raichu is a very good pivot. Scrappy in SylveMons allows Raichu to hit Ground-types with Ion Absorb and more importantly Volt Switch, either continuing the chain of boosted Ion Absorb or keeping up momentum no matter what. Scrappy also allows Raichu to hit Ghosts with Focus Blast, but more importantly, it hits Steel-types, mostly Ferrothorn, and Chansey hard, especially if Raichu hasn't gotten a chance to use Ion Absorb once yet. HP Ice, while no longer needed to hit Ground-types, does hit Dragons like Zygarde, Kommo-o, and Serperior much harder than anything else, thought Signal Beam can be used to hit Grass-types instead. The Light Ball, now effects Pikaclones, boosting Raichu's Special Attack to an absurd 558, making Raichu a great special cleaner.

THREATLIST

If Mega Scizor gets a chance to SD up, it and its buffed Technician is extremely hard for this team to handle, as Bullet Punch by itself can run through the team if I'm not careful. Defensive SD is easier to deal with, as both Raichu and Greninja can take a +2 Bullet Punch and deal a ton of damage back and Zygarde in general is my best bet, as it has a ton of natural bulk and can Coil up to boost its bulk.

Serperior's new Grass/Dragon-typing means that the only strong priority I have against it is Zygarde's Extreme Speed. However, Zygarde takes a ton of damage from Draco Meteor, making that option dangerous. With Agony Boots, Serperior outspeeds the whole team and can start boosting. However, Serp is weak before a boost, so Raichu can tank a hit and OHKO with HP Ice and Jirachi can take 2 HP Fires at +2 and respond with a STAB Moonblast.

Mega Charizard X, if setup, can OHKO everything on the team. However, before a boost, Greninja and Zygarde can both handle it, though one of them would likely go down in the process.

REPLAYS
Pending

The whole Pet Mods community has to get a huge shoutout. I would not enjoy Smogon nearly as much without them. They are an extremely fun group of people and the Pet Mods the community creates are all creative and fun in their own ways. The community was also able to band together and hold the Pet Mods Grands Slam, which while it has a had some bumps along the way, is a testament to how much the Pet Mods community has grown since I joined 2 years ago. I'm not a very emotional person, at least online, but I have to sincerely say that I love the Pet Mods community and am so thankful to them for allowing me to enjoy my time on Smogon so much.

Just some of the good people there:
AquaticPanic, Brodaha, leonard (from big bang theory), Reviloja753, Ludicrousity, G-Luke, Lyd, Pika Xreme, charizard8888, KirbyRider1337, Origin0, Gravity Monkey, Gojiratar, Cookie Butter, Yahooboo, Dilasc, MaceMaster, Anaconja, Squawkerz, Jerrytkrot, Yung Dramps, Samtendo09, Solarblade, ChrystalFalchion, Tiksi, Mygavolt, Kilgrave, Ezaphs, Scoopapa, Jucherz, PrincessGardevoir, Yveltal for PU, Tanaka's Show

Also, I have to reiterate the shoutouts from my 777th Post RMT, as they are still relevant 7 months later, which includes the PU community and the BBP community.

Thank you for reading this RMT. I've had a great time on Smogon for these 2.5 years and hope to continue into the next 1000.
And, I do hope this entices you to check out Pet Mods, it's a great community and we have some great metagames (just to name a few, Clean Slate, Accessorize, SylveMons, Eternal Pokemon, All-Type Terrain, and more).

Once again, thank you for reading!

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Do you have anything for Parasect? I guess Bulu takes care of Spore, but is there anything to stall out Destiny Bond?

Do you have anything for Parasect? I guess Bulu takes care of Spore, but is there anything to stall out Destiny Bond?
Very good question, I didn't notice my lack of Toxic on this team. My best bet against it seems to just bait it out, especially with Combusken/Infernape as they don't take much from Bug Bite (though it cripples Busken), don't die to Shadow Charge, and can bait out Destiny Bond by wasting a turn with Protect/a Fighting move. Zygarde would also be okay at this, as if something's asleep it sets up all over it even without Substitute, but losing its Figy Berry would be inevitable and it would take a bit of setup before TArrows kill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)