Project Player of the Week: Karnisbroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawamura

Banned deucer.
Combate mas dificil / complicado que has jugado?
para mi el Juego mas dificil que he tenido Has sido Contra Croven en el winter seasonal por la Round 4 el cual Fue muy interesante ver a un Arcanine Con safeguard el Cual me dejo muchas ideas para el Futuro puesto que habia venido de una Buena Racha el cual declino por cuestiones Externas. El Game 1 fue muy interesante porque el llevar un Umbreon me llevo a pensar que podia Complicarme el Match up en vista de que necesitaba algo Solido como un boost del Togekiss para pegar, el Game 2 lo pierdo por no tener nada con El Tr literalmente fue un juego estresante y el Ultimo Game Gano un Trick Room del Señorito SMB el cual me dio la victorio en un Final Apoteosico

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
What is your favorite food from Venezuela that people from other countries might not know about and should try?
¿Cual es tu comida favorita de Venezuela que otros paises tal vez no conozcan sobre esta y deberian probarla?

What do you study at University and what do you want to do when you graduate?

What do you want to happen in order to stop inflation?

sawamura

Banned deucer.
What is your favorite food from Venezuela that people from other countries might not know about and should try?
¿Cual es tu comida favorita de Venezuela que otros paises tal vez no conozcan sobre esta y deberian probarla?

What do you study at University and what do you want to do when you graduate?

What do you want to happen in order to stop inflation?
1.- My favorite food is the "arepa Reina Pepiada"
Reina Pepiada.jpg
which I feel should have more prominence because its filling puts it in a very underrated position. The Arepa is a typical Venezuelan food which should never be missing in a dinner or breakfast at the table of Venezuelans

2.-I am currently studying programming but I have been frozen for a year due to the Covid and the expenses it generates. The time is one of the things which also impedes me or it does it at the moment, but I am in process to become programmer for big Companies with their Systems of Invoicing or Programs that allow you to Execute processes of Collection and data storage. I am looking to finish my career and strengthen my position in the company in which I am currently working as a leader of projection to touch a little more the handling of machinery and computer software.

3.- There are many answers to this question because of the different ways to stop inflation in a country. Looking at it from the commercial point of view and not from the political point of view (which many people see) I think that the national currency is very devalued in case the Minino salary charged in that currency is insufficient. The dollar circulates in Venezuela in an official way but at the same time it does not put 100% of the businesses, companies among other commercial entities Etc, accept them and prefer to leave for that currency which does not leave their capital in ruins. As all the dollar tends to a Rate for the Change of currency since while it raises continuously the Dollar the national currency every day is to the shit. This makes me think that the reason why you should go to stop such a high inflation and that is fucking up all the residents in the country from my point of view would be to eliminate the national currency and to Dollarize Venezuela since this idea is not very favorable to the regime dictated by Nicolas Maduro since his money laundering and drug trafficking business would come down to them.

Another reason is the independence of the public and private sector from their capital, which should exercise its own production and depend on the government, but only and exclusively on the contribution of foreign exchange for export, which would help stabilize trade and leave aside the import of essential products, which, when imported, would result in high prices that the national currency and the miners' salaries cannot cover.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 9 - Qwello Lee

Most of the readers know who you are by now, but could you introduce yourself by telling a little bit about yourself?
Hi everyone! I'm Leo, aka Qwello Lee, and I'm a 23 year old student of computer science and engineering living in Milan. I've been playing Pokemon since I was a kid and I first discovered competitive when I stumbled into a youtube video by Alex Ogloza (the 2014 US VGC nats champion) and I've been hooked ever since.

What are your hobbies outside of playing Pokemon? What do you like to do in your free time?
Aside from pokemon I enjoy playing whatever videogame my shitty laptop can run. I also love cooking and, in better times, travelling abroad and playing tennis. Most of my free time is spent playing videogames, watching youtube/tv shows and hanging out with my friends and girlfriend.

What does your username mean and why did you choose it?
I chose this nickname when I first joined a VGC forum in like 2017, it's sort of a pun as the English pronunciation of Qwello Lee sounds like "quello lì", which means "that one/that guy" in Italian. It's not a particularly smart or original pun but I've been using it for a while and I've grown attached to it.

How did you find smogon doubles and why did you choose to stick around?
I first found out about smogon from Pokeaim's youtube videos, but I didn't really care about it because I wasn't interested in singles. When I got bored with the 2018 VGC format I started snooping around the forums a bit more and found the doubles section, the idea of using stuff like kyurem-b and hoopa intrigued me a lot so I decided to give it a try. I eventually stuck around for a combination of reasons: I didn't really enjoy the VGC formats after 2018, I really liked the idea of players controlling what to ban and what to keep and, most importantly, the fact that the whole circuit is online gave me an opportunity to play against the very best in the tier from home, as opposed to dropping a few hundred bucks to travel to an International for VGC.

How was your experience in Snake compared to other team tour you have participated in?
It's honestly been fantastic so far! I had signed up almost as a joke and I didn't expect to get drafted, let alone as a starter lol, so finding out I had been picked came as a big surprise. Overall I've really enjoyed the experience, the atmosphere in the team chat is very positive (despite the 200+ lines claiming our season to be over) and everyone is very driven and puts in a lot of work in prep/testing. Z Strats has also been a great teammate, providing invaluable insight both in prep and building, and without his help my record wouldn't probably be half as good as it is.

Which mon do you most enjoy using in the current meta-game and why?
I can't really speak for the crown tundra metagame as I've only played 4 or 5 games so far, although I'm really looking forward to using Diancie again. As for the DLC1 meta I've really enjoyed using scizor, both earlier on in the season, when a pivot-heavy metagame dominated by rillaboom gave it plenty of oppurtunities to chunk stuff with CB u-turn, and in later weeks, when a more hazard-heavy meta allows it to use its strong priority to pick off stuff weakened by multiple switch-ins into spikes/rocks.

Are there any mons that you think should be banned?
As I said, I haven't really had a chance to play a lot of this meta so I don't have strong opinions on potentially banworthy stuff, but from the little I've seen the council has acted swiftly in banning the clearly broken mons. Maybe later down the line we could take a look at diancie, but after its "nerf" I don't really know.

Is there anyone you look up to as a player?
There's a lot of players I look up to for different reasons, mostly because I see in them qualities I lack lol. I really admire Ezrael ability to analyze games and his "awareness" of the gamestate, I also think highly of people who can consistently come up with good and innovative teams, the first that come to mind are Paraplegic and SMB , but I also really liked many of the builds Nails used in this Snake.

Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and your thought process behind it? (gen and meta of your choice)
The people who know me best know I'm a shitty teambuilder, so I don't have much to share in this department. Only recently I've started trying to make my own builds more and more and the only one I've built all by myself and I'm pretty happy with is my Snake w1 team:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Head
- Dual Wingbeat

Pelipper @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Wide Guard

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 112 Def / 60 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Necrozma @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Protect

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Switch
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
As I mentioned before I really liked using scizor immediately after the volcarona ban, so I decided to build a team around it to use in Snake. I decided to go with rain to pressure incineroar and provide tailwind support for scizor to chunk stuff with u-turn and get out before getting hit. I then added goggles necrozma to provide a safe switch in to amoonguss, a way to threaten kommmo-o and to get up rocks and threaten venusaur vs sun. I rounded out the team with zeraora, which helps threaten corviknight and knock dragapult, as well as useful fake out to stall opposing tailwind/trick room and lastly I added rillaboom as a way to override psychic terrain in a potential trick room matchup. Overall the team really fits the style I generally enjoy using: offense with a combination of strong damage dealers and pivots to get said breakers in safely.

Do you have any advice for players that are new to the tier?
Practice, practice, practice. Grab a team you like from samples/someone's team dump and ladder/ask for games in the doubles room until you feel like you have a good grasp of the tier (when I started out I took MajorBowman MScizor/Kyub/Goth/Koko/Lando/Volc from his SPL team dump and topped the ladder on three accounts before I felt confident enough to ask someone for a game lol), refrain from building your own teams until you have a good idea of each mon's role and place in the metagame and once you do, don't be afraid to ask for help: most people in this community will be happy to help as long as you're willing to accept their advice (if they tell you cramorant is unviable they probably know better than you). If you want you can shoot me a PM on Discord (Qwello Lee#8175) and I'll be happy to do what I can to help you :)

Is there anything you would like to add to the interview?
First of all I would like to thank you n1n1 for having me and for keeping this project going, reading these interviews has been very enjoyable and I hope to see more of them in the future, especially since forum activity seems to be a little... anemic right now. Other than that I just want to shoutout umbry , Sunrose and jcbc for being great friends and the rest of the DOU community for making my time here a great experience!
Of course if anyone has any follow up questions I'll be happy to answer them :)

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
hi Qwello Lee

I have been learning a lot of Italian Cooking recently. I have learned and like to cook Amatriciana, Bolognese, Cacciatore and Alla Norma. Can you recommend me some more?

With some more Crown Tundra games under your belt (now 3-0 on the most OP team) do have more opinion on if Goth and/or Diancie should be suspected?

I have been learning a lot of Italian Cooking recently. I have learned and like to cook Amatriciana, Bolognese, Cacciatore and Alla Norma. Can you recommend me some more?
If you want to go for another pasta dish I definitely suggest you try making carbonara (this recipe looks fine, although I'd use pecorino romano instead of parmesan if you can find it), if instead you want to try your hand at something a bit more challenging I'll link a recipe for a dish typical of where I'm from: risotto with ossobuco.

With some more Crown Tundra games under your belt (now 3-0 on the most OP team) do have more opinion on if Goth and/or Diancie should be suspected?
I think diancie is probably fine, it's a lot better then it was last gen but there are still plenty of things that can threaten it/stop it from going too stupid with defense boosts. I wouldn't be opposed to a shadow tag suspect, I don't think goth was banworthy in DLC1 and I think once we've gotten rid of all the brokens we can get a better idea of whether it has a place in the metagame or not.

Hi Qwello Lee big fan, can you greet my good friend Tricking since he's a big fan of you?

Btw your ssd displays reminded me of doubles italian legend pomodoro, keep it up!
Sure! Ciao Tricking anche io sono un tuo grande fan :)

Who was the better manager me or Prinz
You wanted me to use abomasnow and prinz was always malding, I'd say you were both equally bad.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 10 - Grandmas Cookin

Most of the readers know who you are by now, but could you introduce yourself by telling a little bit about yourself?
hey, I'm Grandmas Cookin. I'm known irl and by online friends as Matt or Matthew. I'm a CS student at Algonquin in the Game Development program. I've been playing competitive pokemon since late 2014, and attending irl VGC events since '17. I first got into mons when I was 6, but I didnt start playing competitively until I watched the 2014 VGC worlds finals.

What are your hobbies outside of playing Pokemon? What do you like to do in your free time?
I love music. I am not in any way talented in the subject, but I spend hours listening to all kinds of genres each week. My favourite artists are Joji, The Weeknd, and Jack Harlow, but I can never decide on a favourite song. Besides that I enjoy watching anime, hanging out with friends when I can, and playing a large assortment of different video games.

My ps account was originally an alt, but after I forgot the password to my main I swapped to using this account to be active in the chatrooms on ps. I genuinely didn't have anything in mind when I came up with the name.

Has Dynamax in VGC been one of the reason you play DOU more or do you enjoy Dynamax, why?
I definitely prefer no dynamax, and thats probably why I enjoy dou to vgc this gen. its a really broken mechanic and I've always disliked it.

What is your greatest achievement or most memorable moment in VGC?
most memorable moment in vgc was at toronto regs in 2019, during the lunch break I found Jeremy Rodrigues cart on the ground. I found out when I put it into my 3ds and recognized the ign from seeing him on stream at previous regionals. it was a funny exchange when I gave it back as he had just sat down for round 4 or 5 and noticed it wasnt in his 3ds.

Around the time of the Gengarite suspect test in sm dou I saw a post from the smogon twitter page. Feeling bored with how the vgc 18 meta was at the time I decided to try it out. I did not get voting reqs lol. I stopped playing dou for a bit and then came back after 2018 worlds with an edited version of Arash Ommatis top 8 team. in about a weeks time I had peaked #7 on ladder and entered my first tour. I faced fespy r1, MajorBowman r2, before being knocked to losers bracket r3 by SMB . I don't remember much else that tour but I didn't go much further. Despite this, I continued to play on the side while I focused on mainly VGC and my Junior Year of hs.

It's early in Crown Tundra but what do you consider the most underrated Pokemon so far?
I'd have to pick Nihilego. with access to the new meteor beam for a free special attack boost, it's a potent sweeper in the current meta. Definitely a sleeper pick atm.

Are there any mons that you think should be banned/unbanned?
I honestly think the meta is really balanced at the moment. I think a Diancie suspect test might be in order, but I'm not particularly pro-ban right now.

EmbCPT . He has the greatest game sense of any player I’ve ever seen, he is incredibly consistent at high level, and is able to pickup new formats on the fly and helps shape them with his teambuilding.

Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and your thought process behind it? (gen and meta of your choice)

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
EVs: 28 HP / 36 Def / 164 SpA / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Earth Power

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 116 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Substitute

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 52 Def / 132 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Throat Chop
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 44 SpA / 116 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Heal Pulse
- Nature's Madness

Crobat @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Super Fang
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard
- Taunt
VGC 2019 Ultra Series, this was made by me and a friend for his tournament run at EUIC in March of last year. We spent hours planning the team out, creating flowcharts for all the common teams, making specific calculations on evs, and ensuring that there were no awful matchups. What makes me most proud is the Excadrill. It was a perfect metacall for the format at the time. The team is extremely offensive lacking many options for switching in which reflects the nature of GS Cup formats, however it thrives in those conditions as it is able to remove key targets to ensure its never taking too much damage. This way of playing i feel reflects how i pilot teams no matter the format, preferring to take an offensive approach even to bulky defensive teams.

What do you like about Smogon Doubles and what would you like to see changed?
I enjoy the 6v6 aspect that makes games last longer requiring you to play better over the course of the game instead of just gaining advantage and trying to hold it for as long as possible. it also lets me not worry about the bring 6 pick 4 that comes with VGC, instead focusing on team composition as a whole instead of having a main 3-4 and 1 or 2 pokemon you only bring for certain matchups. I don’t think i’d change anything about it.

If you’re coming from VGC, treat it as disadvantage state over the course of the entire game. plan out your win conditions from the start, and adapt when required. be active instead of reactive, and lastly, your opponent is better than you until you have won, dont start playing sloppy just because you have the advantage.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 11 - MADARAAAA

I met barrabba on PS after noticing he was ranked 3rd on the ladder, I was impressed with his unique team and ability. This is the first interview for my new initiative to expand this project to some of the mostly unknown DOU ladder players.
There is still a long list of regulars that I plan to interview soon, so dont worry that is not stopping.

Most of the readers may not know who you are, could you introduce yourself by telling a little bit about yourself?

Sure! My name is Claudio, I am Italian and I love playing pokemon since I was child. Now I am 21 and I am studying to become a trainer of sports and fitness.

What are your hobbies outside of playing Pokémon? What do you like to do in your free time?
Well, obviously I love playing sports alone or with friends. I also really like chess, maths, animals and anime!

MADARAAAA and barrabba are my main usernames. Well, Madara is one of my favorite characters of the anime Naruto and I chose it because is too badass. Barrabba doesn't mean anything in particular.

How did you find Smogon Doubles and why did you choose to stick around?
I found it because some friends on showdown told me to sign up cause one day I would like to play some big tournaments! Smogon is so useful, is like the encyclopedia of pokemon!

Which Pokémon do you most enjoy using in the current meta-game and why?
I love zygarde and genesect, simply cause are broken and destroy diance. But I am proud to have a solid team with Conkeldurr, hits so hard!

Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and your thought process behind it?

1606608412782.png

Heatran @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 80 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Atk / 12 Def / 196 SpA / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Electroweb
- Knock Off
- Volt Switch

Rillaboom @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 228 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 88 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- High Horsepower

Slowking-Galar @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 104 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room

Kyurem-Black @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Dragon Dance
- Fusion Bolt
- Icicle Spear

I am a balanced player. I love teams with speed control and some pivots and fakouters.
The team is very flexible: you could start with fakeouter + trickroom and sweep with slowking and conkeldurr or more aggressively with heatran or kyurem plus zeraora using electroweb. Conkeldurr is amazing because destroys incineroar, rillaboom and landorus even minus one and protects the team from zygarde or diance with wide guard. I choosed slowking because has a great coverage and it can be used as a pivot with regenerator ability. I tried to build something anti-meta but still really solid, valuable in trickroom and not.
The team is really funny but is not a joke!

You are currently ranked 3rd on the ladder. What advice would you give to new players who are struggling to climb the ladder?
My advice is: if you wanna reach top of ladder you have to watch the highest players matches and analyze the pokemons most used. I know could be annoying that there are the same pokemons around, but if they are strong there is a reason. Secondly, start to build a team following your playstyle, aggressive or balanced. Is not an immediate process, but you will see improvements trying consistently.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 12 - Sunrose

Hey Everyone! My name is Freddy! I’m 26 years old and currently living in San Diego, California. I got into competitive Pokemon after watching the 2014 World Championships for VGC on YouTube. I mainly played on showdown and fucked around a lot on ladder for VGC2015, but I stopped playing when VGC16 rolled around. I started playing again when VGC17 and VGC18 were the formats and was planning on participating in VGC tours IRL for VGC19, but once the format for VGC19 was announced, I quit playing again. GS meta is whack. I was honestly considering quitting mons at this point, but through some miracle, I ended up finding out about DOU on Smogon around the end of 2018 and am still playing it to this day!

A couple of hobbies of mine are watching anime, reading manga, playing chess, bike riding, skateboarding, going to the beach, and hiking. On my free time, I enjoy taking my dog for walks and playing with him. I also like to spend time with my mom, little brothers, little sisters, and hanging out with my friends.

I originally started out with 2 usernames before sticking with Sunrose. My first username was ArtEternity. I forgot the password to it and had to make a new account. My second account was named EntitledSanctuary. When I broke into the 1600’s on the ladder for VGC18, I decided to make another alt so I wouldn’t ruin my rating for the ES account. When it comes to making usernames, I always combine 2 words together; Art+Eternity, Entitled+Sanctuary, Sun+Rose. I put some thought into making the username sunrose though.

Back in 2010-2011, I was a junior in high school and was really into basketball. Watching Derrick Rose that season was hella enjoyable. His MVP campaign that year was amazing and he was youngest player to ever win the MVP award at age 22. Unfortunately, his career came to a halt due to injuries. When I was deciding to pick a name for my alt, I was watching highlight videos of DRose on YouTube from that season and decided to go with rose as my username. I knew I had to put another word in front of it though, so I went with sun. I’ve been living in the west coast all my life and its always hella sunny so sun came naturally to me :p That’s how the username Sunrose was created lol.

When VGC18 worlds ended, I stopped playing mons because I disliked VGC19. After 5 months of not playing mons though, I decided to give VGC19 a chance. The meta was still whack, but I ended up entering some tournaments for it thanks to the help of my friend Atmosphere. After a while of participating in these tours, he invited me to one of the discord servers he was in. This is where I met Dunga , Animus (mint16), Lightcore, and even though I was already friends with JoeUX9 prior to this, he was in the server as well!

Around the beginning of January 2019, Animus mentioned in the chat that n1n1 was persuading him to join the 2019 SM DOU winter seasonal. This piqued my interest, so I started asking him questions about it. He told me that anyone could sign up if they had a smogon account, so I made one that same night and entered as a sub. I finished 33rd place that seasonal and I had a lot of fun playing in it because the format was like VGC18. The only difference was that mythicals and certain box cover legendaries were allowed, as well as overcentralizing mons like mega Gengar and Snorlax being banned. I was a big fan of this and decided to stick around.

Thanks for helping put together DWCOP! How was your experience with that and as a manager?
“you guys should sit down and draft up a proposal with rules, formats, eligibility requirements including the specific time that would make sense for it be scheduled to fit in line with the other doubles tours and team tours happening. it’s not that simple and things don’t happen unless people go out of their way to start thinking and outlining that kind of stuff” – kamikaze .
After reading this in the discord chat, I knew someone had to step up and take initiative. A lot of players were advocating for dwcop to happen and the dou community was in dire need for another team tour. DPL is an awesome tour but having to wait a whole year for it to happen hella sucks. This is where I step in and start setting stuff up.

I made a server for dwcop and start inviting as many players as possible. I knew I couldn’t do this on my own though so I asked Z Strats and Paraplegic if they could help me out. For the first 2-3 weeks, it was just the 3 of us, but then eventually, umbry , Frania , Memoric , and SMB joined the team. Everything started to run smoothly once they joined and I really wish I invited them from the beginning because the process became a lot easier with their help. The biggest obstacle we faced was determining how many teams we should have. We originally decided with 6 regions (US West, Central, East, Canada, Europe, Asia) but as time passed by, I was able to recruit enough players to make team LATAM another region eligible for the tour. This left us in an awkward situation because if we stuck with 6 teams, 1 team would be left out. If we wanted 8 teams, we would need to figure out another region to compete. I was very adamant about making sure all 7 regions got included so 6 teams was out of the question. Since we needed to find an eighth team, SMB suggested we make Team Mediterranean a team (Italy+Spain). We now had 8 teams, but we once again faced another problem and this time it was finding players to fill out rosters. SMB said we should advertise the tour in the unofficial teams tours section on smogon and this was probably the greatest decision we could’ve made. Sign ups were rolling in and we were all ecstatic. Due to my lack of experience though, I let the team down and made a hasty decision by telling Frania to make starting slots 8 instead of 6 without consulting everyone else. This announcement really set us back and it put us in a hole that felt impossible to come out of. After a couple of discussions with everyone, we decided to go back to 6 starting slots even though we already made the announcement to go with 8 slots. I knew this was going to look bad, regardless of what I said in my post. I promise to never make a hasty decision like that ever again. In the end, everything worked out. This whole process was exciting but also incredibly stressful. I honestly didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I underestimated what it took to set up a team tour of this caliber and it really made me appreciate all the work the Tier Leaders, Moderators, and Council members do for the dou community.

As for being manager, I honestly disliked it. There were a couple of players on my team that I hated managing and this ruined the experience for me. I wasn’t having fun with it anymore and this upset me because I’ve been a manager before (n1n1’s mish tour) and I had a lot of fun managing for that team so I know what I’m capable of when I enjoy helping the players on my team. I eventually gave up on the US West team and didn’t care anymore. Even though I’m saying all this, I still felt like shit after finding out we were eliminated from playoffs. I couldn’t help but feel responsible and it made me question whether I’m cut out to be a manager in future tours. The only way I will know is if I get another chance to manage again. I promise to not let my next team down and I will put my best effort to make sure we succeed and win it all.

Which mon do you most enjoy using in the current meta-game and why?
I probably have to say Tapu Fini. The CM set with lefties or the NM/Taunt set with sitrus berry are both solid in the current meta. The spread I’ve been running with Fini is 252hp/+136 def/ 36 special attack/ 12 spedef/ 72 speed/ bold nature for the CM set and 252hp/ +136 def/ 72 spedef/ 44 speed/ bold nature for the NM+Taunt set.

I like running a bold nature on Fini because it helps against CB Zdamant Zyg’s thousand arrows and Rilla’s grassy glides under grassy terrain. Electric mons are not that common anymore and Koko took a big hit from the electric terrain nerf so Fini doesn’t have much to worry about on the spedef side other than Nihilego.

Another set I’ve been using recently with Fini is Nature Madness/ Moonblast/ Icywind/ Substitute with lefties and an EV spread of 252hp/ +136 def/ 4 special attack/ 44 spedef/ 72 speed/ bold nature. It seems a little unorthodox, but it’s been really fun to use and it puts in work haha. Overall, Tapu Fini is a great and fun mon to use and you can’t go wrong by bringing it to games.

Yes, there is. I’ve been playing dou for almost 2 years now and the players I’ve been impressed with the most are emforbes and EmbCPT . Whenever I played games with them, I always felt overwhelmed and pressured every turn. They understand the game on a completely different level, and you need to be playing at your best if you ever want a chance of beating them. DaWoblefet made a lot of good points in one of his answers during his interview and explains it a lot better than I ever could but he basically says that the experience they got from playing in vgc tournaments IRL, playing online doesn’t really affect them as much and their teams are built to deal with multiple archetypes. They developed a level of natural consistency that makes it difficult to counterstyle directly. I really hope they both come back to dou. I would love to get a chance to play them in a tour game!

I have always been a fan of teams with 2 types of speed control. I posted one of my favorite teams from gen 7 in this thread if anyone is interested. It summarizes my thought process when making teams.

This is another team that I really enjoyed using in SM and brought it in SM cup of doubles classic.

Zapdos @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 8 SpA / 76 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stomping Tantrum
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 156 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 40 SpA / 44 SpD / 72 Spe
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Naganadel @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 108 SpA / 68 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
It doesn’t have a tr option, so the team is kinda MU dependent, but it fares well against most teams other than fullroom. SM has 3 specific archetypes that own the meta: Fullroom, Rain, and teams with Goth(shadowtag). If your team doesn’t cover at least 2 of these 3 archetypes, then you’ve already lost in the builder. The team revolves around pivoting with Zapdos, Lando, and Inci until you have a great position with Fini, Naga, or mega Metagross to sweep.
This is the best replay I could find using the team. The game only lasted 10 turns but I recommend watching the whole replay because turn 8 is fucking epic. Everything leading up to that turn makes the game much more enjoyable. I was in the zone in that game so some of you might question why I made that play on turn 8 but the only thing I can say to that is that it was the right and only play to make. It was going to give me momentum throughout the rest of the game and mentally fuck up my opponent. That was my thought process when deciding to fake out my Fini.

I like playing doubles. I used to play so much vgc before I got into DOU but I stopped because every format after vgc18 sucked ass. Vgc16 was also trash btw. Playing 6v6 compared to 4v4 is a lot more fun and adds an extra element that you wouldn’t get from vgc. I think its very cool that there are bans in dou. It makes for a much healthier metagame and getting rid of problematic stuff that would still be allowed in vgc is dope. The community is also chill. I’ve met a lot of cool people in dou and it’s a big reason for why I’m still sticking around. I started doing replays and stats threads since April and I’ve been enjoying it. It helps me keep up with the meta and its an excellent resource for the players to use. I’ll make sure I keep doing a great job for everyone!

As for changes, I think we need to recruit more players into the scene. We’ve already lost a couple of good players in dou and I’m not sure if they’re coming back to play in tours again other than dpl. Even if they come back, we still have to think about the future of dou. Players are eventually going to retire, and new blood is going to have to take over. I think that’s something that we should work on gradually in the next couple of years.

Who would you like to see fill the empty Teir Leader spot and why?
I will have to go with Nails or Memoric. They are both prominent players in the scene and have great leadership. They also have experience in this department so I think they will do a great job as tier leaders. If neither decide to do it, I will be okay with Paraplegic or shrop . It might be a little too early for para to take this role right now but he’s very active in the community and I know he will do his best to lead dou in the right direction. As for shrop, I’ve decided to hop on the shropaganda train lol. The more I think about it, shrop being tier leader wouldn’t be that bad. He has a lot of good insight and is a respected player within the dou community. I would be okay with any of these 4 players being tier leader. And one last shoutout to talkingtree ! thank you for everything you did for dou! We’ll all miss you and I hope you enjoy retirement :)

Get a tutor. You won’t believe how fast you’ll improve if you end up listening to the advice experienced players give you. Everyone learns at different rates so it might take some longer than others but as long you’re committed to getting better in the tier, results will eventually come. I also suggest making friends. It goes a long way and it really helps you out and vice versa. Study replays by yourself and with friends, use the damage calculator, enter tours, etc. And please, take your time in games. Let that timer hit 30 seconds if you need it too. Game plans are important and making changes to them as the battle progresses plays a big role for the winner. The skill ceiling in pokemon is high and everyone is doing their best to reach the top. Experience is needed for this so keep on going and don’t falter.

Thank you n1n1 for continuing this project. I read a couple of interviews last year and thought they were great. I always wondered why dou stopped doing them but I’m glad you brought it back! I hope they give you another chance to come back to the dou discord (don’t get banned again bro haha). I’m going to give some shoutouts now so here I go lol. The person I’m about to mention is a close friend of mine, jcbc ! I can’t thank you enough for always drafting me and believing in me. I let you down during ODL in 2019 but I did my best to make you proud in OML and DPL in 2020. You were my manager for all 3 tours and eventually you became one of my best friends on this site. I hope we can meet up in real life and enjoy a drink together! N1n1! You are the first person I became friends with in the dou community. When you asked me for help in duu for DPL5, I was excited and was going to do my best to make sure you succeeded. We got to know a lot about each other and you’re a really cool person to talk too. I’m glad we got to be teammates for DPL6 and ended up winning it all! SMB! Thank you for everything you taught me during SM. You were my first mentor and I know you had high expectations of me, but I couldn’t live up to them. That hasn’t stopped me from doing my best to improve in this game though. I haven’t beaten you in a set yet, but it’s going to happen eventually. I refuse to let you have an undefeated record against me. Qwello Lee ! You’re my brother! We’ve played so many games together and talking to you about life in general is always fun. You’ve even taught me a couple of words in Italian, Ciao! Come Stai? Buona Giornata! :p I’ll be looking forward to the day we get to team up again in a team tour! The last person I’m going to mention is umbry! I can’t tell you how grateful I am for all the help she has given me in the last year and a half. At first, it started with only having practice games in SM, and then we got the opportunity to face each other in tours, but once SPL came around, she started becoming a mentor to me. She was on top of the metagame and learning from her was fun and enjoyable. I wanted to keep improving so I would constantly ask her for advice, and then a little before dpl 6 started, I got the best advice from her that has evolved my gameplay for the better. The transition has been rough and I’m still doing my best to get rid of my bad habits but its all going to be worth it in the end. I can’t thank you enough friend :) take care umbry!

Last edited:
What has been the degree of difficulty when playing against me, smb and frania in Tour Match or Test Games?
hey Sawamura! I've only played you once in a bof3 set during SM Spring Seasonals 2019. Your teams were a little weird but you've definitely improved since then. I'll be looking forward to facing you in bracket again! SMB has beaten me in every tournament set we've played in. Our first time playing was in SM Spring Seasonals 2019 and he came out on top with a 2-1 win. Since then, he's beaten me 2-0 in SM Cup of classic 2019 and 2020 and 4-3 in n1n1's mish tour 2019. SMB is great player but after playing so many sets with him, its only a matter of time until I beat him. As for Frania, the first time I played against him was during the XY money tour early in 2019. He was my r1 opponent and he won 2-1 against me. I was still inexperienced back then and im still trying to improve my gameplay. I play test battles with fran every now and then and I enjoy playing against him but he usually wins most of the time. I'd be happy to get an opportunity to play fran in bracket again!

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 13 - emma

Hi! I’m Emma (she/her) and I am an 18 year old transgender girl from New Jersey who recently came out at the end of October. I’m currently in my first year of college studying Chemical Engineering at a STEM school in Massachusetts. Fun fact about me is that I have quite a lot of pets - a dog (Bananas), two ferrets (Carly and Crystal), a turtle (Stinky) and a hedgehog (Meatball). I am extremely willing to share pictures if my dear readers are interested.

What are your hobbies outside of playing Pokemon?
I am an avid Sports fan and root for all the Philadelphia teams but mainly the Eagles, Sixers, and Phillies. I was able to travel to Minnesota for Super Bowl 52 where the Eagles defeated the New England Patriots 41-33 (my discord tag!) and it was quite easily the best day of my life. Currently, I am eagerly awaiting for the Sixers to trade for James Harden, while I am disgusted for the Phillies because they just traded for a player who voiced his opposition of BLM over the Summer :(

My current fascination is watching the Game Show Network. Back in the Summer when I was off school and mostly staying at home because of COVID, I spent a lot of time sitting on my couch watching TV. I stumbled upon the GSN and I am now one of its biggest fans. I spent so much time watching The Chase, Family Feud, and CashCab to name a few. I wasn’t able to watch at all during school, but I am delighted to be on break so I can get back to binge watching
Recently, my favorite game show, The Chase, got rebooted on ABC starring the three Jeopardy goats: Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer, and Brad Rutter. I cannot tell you just how incredibly excited this made me when I found out. Here’s my live reaction

What do you like to do in your free time?
I honestly did not have much free time during college! My school is honestly one of the harder ones in the country, and combined with playing on a varsity sports team, I spent basically all my time working at my desk. Of course, it didn’t help that I always had Discord open so assignments that should have only taken an hour would usually take double that.

While on break, I have become really interested in the mainstream Pokemon games (and Pokken). I’m currently replaying most games with the goal of eventually completing all mainstories, post games, and regional pokedexes (3DS games and up). Here’s a screenshot of my current progress: https://imgur.com/a/xQqsyoo

I also like watching Anime. Much to the rage of Z Strats and Bunny, I haven’t been able to finish Madoka in over a month since I was doing a groupwatch but we haven’t gotten together again since watching the first two episodes. He has made it his personal mission to tag me every day on Discord until I finish it. What I did recently complete (after his suggestion actually) was Adachi to Shimamura and it was really good! I am a huge sucker for School Romance and the anime is extremely cute and good. My personal favorite is probably Tsuki ga Kirei and everyone should go watch it. I also like posting random screenshots on Discord while watching (https://imgur.com/a/xCLZwdG). I used to tweet them out to my 72 twitter followers until Nails threatened to unfollow me :(

Emma is my name! I chose a lowercase ‘e’ on Smogon because it’s more aesthetically pleasing to me. My main PS! alt, emma stone fan, was my inspiration for choosing Emma after coming out as trans. I also considered Lauren or Laurel. For how I got emma stone fan in the first place, I used it as a random alt to ladder but I liked it so much that I was using it as my main ever since 2017.
GreenGogoatttt (yes, with the extra t’s) is one of my greatest failures. I used to hang around on a Pokemon website called TheSilverLeague which was super against hacking and had their own system of sorts. One of the members was named SilverNinetails so I tried to copy the Color + Pokemon name format and it did not go well. The extra t’s are so the name was green instead of brown on PS. Here is a Support Talonflame spotlight I wrote for the website in November 2015 when I was 13 years old: https://imgur.com/a/0zATmv1 Note: I have no idea where ‘TheIcicleHurricane’ came from and no recollection of using it.
For real DOU boomers, my original Smogon name was TheNapkinLord11 which is somehow even worse. I blatantly stole it from my friend’s friend’s Snapchat account name when I was 12. Clearly I am not good with internet names!

I started my competitive Pokemon adventure at age 13 after watching this video by Tama Hero (formerly Tamashii Hiroka)
The video brought up Pokemon Showdown and I first played some epic XY OU (replay 1 and 2) before finding PokeAmino through a video by the same Youtuber. I played in some draft leagues and met people like Elegyy and Animus.
I was randomly playing ladders on PS! where I ran into BlueSkiddo on the DOU Ladder. I guess I was so enamored by the similar names I decided to keep laddering.
BONUS REPLAY I found against shrop from last 2015 where he is using good pokemon Hitmontop.

From there, I hung around in the DOU PS Room and eventually got to join the then private DOU Discord after asking if there was a Discord on PS and getting DMd the link by [redacted]. The community was pretty cool and I was DOMINATING the low ladder with the Mega Kangaskhan-Breloom sample so I decided to stick around and I’m glad I did!

Which mon do you most enjoy using in the current meta-game and why? Is there anyone you look up to as a player?
It’s Landorus-T, the greatest DOU Pokemon of all time. Intimidate, Stealth Rocks, and U-Turn make it an incredibly good pivot Pokemon. I’ve been using a similar support set in XY and it’s super fun to use there as well. A close second would be Incineroar for very similar reasons. I even made it US East’s mascot for Doubles World Cup!
My not super basic answer would be Choice Scarf Trick Mew, despite Yoda2798 continually telling me it’s terrible. The goal is to OHKO Genesect Turn 1 with Flamethrower and then permanently cripple something later on Trick. I believe Kiichikos was the first to use Trick Scarf Mew back in Snake during DLC1, so credit to her!

I think the user I most look up to as a player is umbry! Not only is she incredibly cute, but her consistently across formats and generations is incredible. Not only is she one of the best DOUers at the moment, but she also made finals of both ADV OU and SM OU circuits as well as going for 15k in SPL which honestly blows my mind.
It also seems all my friends are really good at the game so of course I look up to all of them as well!

This is the question where the good players post a well known and respected team but it seems I will have to go a different route.
Here is RAINBOW CONNECTION which is just XY Rain HO.

BLACKSUN (Politoed) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

serpent's pass (Kingdra) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

bosco! (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Protect

phoenix king (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

southern raiders (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave

sozin's comet (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect
I’m pretty sure the same 6 is a sample but this version has Specs Politoed, five boosting items and a Mega Stone, as well as Avatar themed nicknames. The same formula of Specs Politoed / Kingdra / Ludicolo / Grass Killer / Water Killer / Mega Swampert or Fast Dragon can be applied to BW and SM and probably SS once I get around to it. It’s pretty fun to play with and currently the only SM DOU team on my computer.

I am a big fan of the community. I have had zero problems with anyone since coming out as transgender, which I definitely cannot say for the rest of Smogon. It was very easy for me to join as a dumb 13 year old back in 2016 which I really appreciated. I met some people I consider some of my closest friends so I will be forever grateful.
My biggest issue with Smogon Doubles is that it’s too hard!!!! I’ve been around since 2016 and I’m STILL bad at the game!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My serious answer is that the perception of likewhores needs to be improved. It takes a lot of effort to respond ‘in’ to tours I will be out of by Round 3, and the beloved like notification is the only thing that makes me happy anymore. I do not appreciate the stigma against likewhoring :(

My actual serious answer is that I wish the forums would be more active. The last post in the metagame discussion thread was 12/21/20. The Team Bazaar was a lot more active after DWCoP ended which I appreciated, but I want more!. I would love for the Teambuilding Competition to return as well as just seeing more people post, even if you’re not a top player.

Who would you like to see fill the empty Tier Leader spot and why?
My first choice would be for Memoric to return. He was Tier Leader back in the good old days when XY was the current gen and I think he did a good job. He’s also very active, an elite player, and just returned as C&C head.
For a new leader, I would pick Yoda2798 or qsns. The qualities I am most looking for are being an elite and active player, someone I trust to make good decisions, someone who is approachable and will communicate with everyone, and is generally a good person. Yoda and qsns are some of my best and earliest friends from Doubles and I fully trust them to do what's best for the tier uwu

I do think Doubles should appoint a new TL soon, even if they’re not a perfect choice or completely ready for the job yet. MajorBowman seems to be doing a lot of work recently, so hopefully it can take some stress off of him. Also, Bowman won’t be around forever (I don’t think he’s going anywhere anytime soon though!) so the quicker the empty TL spot is filled, the quicker someone can get experience leading and eventually take over and appoint their own co-Tier Leader.

The easiest and most obvious is to keep playing, even if you are discouraged by your current results. Playing competitive pokemon is hard and it takes a lot of practice to achieve the results you want. A more specific thing I’ve been doing lately is analyzing your own replays and seeing what you could have done better. It’s also good to learn from top players by watching their games.
Additionally, having friends to build and test with is always helpful (I’m actually unironically reminded of the teambuilding coalition thread). Having people to bounce off ideas and practice with is super nice!
You also don’t need to be a top tier player to be a valued member of the community which I am living proof of!

Love my fans! https://imgur.com/a/MVZj4aR
Seriously though, I've met a lot of legitimate friends on Smogon and the internet as a whole is the only place I can truly act myself so I am incredibly grateful. Special shoutout to Yoda2798, umbry, Z Strats, Maki, lydian, qsns, Mishimono, Lilburr, Chloe, Meri Berry, Sensei Axew, gum, Eve, Collette, Ausma, Kiichikos, Melanie uwu, kjdaas, Aya_shiki, TPP, Prinz, mncmt, Kristyl, HANTSUKI, Everything Is Something, plus everyone in Church, rats, uf, and this years Ruiners as well as everyone else who has made my time on this site even a little bit better :heart:

Feel free to ask me any questions in the thread!

So you’re watching Pokémon Journeys I see :o it’s a fun series imo and definitely an underrated one of the bunch. Are you planning to binge the Pokémon anime from season 1 to now at some point? Also why is your favorite character in Pokémon Journeys Chloe (Koharu)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)