Project Player of the Week

OK, so uh, rather unprecedentally, we have a close tie! The tie is between againa and Mx!!! Congrats to both(D2 you got a close third place). So to settle the true 8th CAP player of the week, we'll hold a quick 24 hour voting period. In this voting period you may only vote for Againa or Mx.

Best of luck to both!

Last edited:
:necturna:
Interview #8: Mx
Tell us a little bit about yourself, outside of pokemon showdown:

I'm 27 years old and I'm from Argentina, currently studying to be an English teacher. Outside of Smogon my interests include videogames, cooking, and anime.

Where’d you get your username from?

mxmts doesn't really mean anything, it's just supposed to be some unpronounceable gibberish because I've always dislike standing out, so I tried to have an unremarkable name; however after starting to participate more in CAP I decided to shorten it a bit to something more simple.

Favourite CAP:

Concept wise my favorite CAP would be Necturna, as I love how it was built around using Sketch once and how it balanced having access to literally every move in the game. It's a bit sad that nowadays it really can only be used as a sweeper but that's just how most older CAPs have aged and it doesn't stop me from enjoying its concept. On the other hand, design wise is definitely Kitsunoh. Steel is my favorite type and I just love its overall aesthetic.

Favourite CAP OM:

I'm afraid I'm pretty bad at playing most OMs. I've always only tried to play standard current Gen CAP as I just don't really like focusing on more than one metagame at a time. If I had to pick I suppose I'd go with SM CAP, as I at least have some experience there.

Underrated mons in the current CAP meta?

I think if I had to pick a single mon that I think should be used more, it would be Pajantom probably. It's really hard to wall, it has great utility and decent special bulk and it can cripple a lot of its checks with Toxic. Dragapult might be more splashable but I think Pajantom can be just as threatening. Apart from that I think a few other underrated picks are Magnezone, Hippowdon, Tapu Koko, and Krilowatt.

Thoughts on Chromera currently?

From what I've seen so far Chromera seems like a very well balanced CAP, something that can be a very effective win condition but still need support in order to work. That said, I feel like in retrospect we definitely gave it more coverage than necessary and it can be a bit obnoxious to play around Scald/Ice Beam/Boomburst/Sludge Bomb, even if it's not really overpowered.

How'd you got started in CAP/What drew you in?

I've lurked in CAP since the beginning of Gen 5 as I always found the idea of creating a competitive Pokemon very interesting and I've been actively contributing since the beginning of Gen 7.

What’s your favourite playstyle to use in CAP and why?

I always try to use a good variety of teams but I'm definitely more confortable when I pilot fat balance teams that allow me to slowly wear down my opponent.

Whats your favourite part of the CAP process?

Concepts for sure. I think that's the most interesting part of any process and I always enjoy seeing the different and creative ideas people post.

Thoughts on the current CAP metagame?

I think the CAP meta is in a pretty good place right now. There's a good variety of viable playstyles and I don't feel like anything is strictly broken. I'd like to see more CAPs being viable but hopefully the new buffing process will help with that in the near future.

What are your favorite memories from older team tours? What about more recent ones?

Testing with teammates is usually what I enjoy the most on team tours, it's always fun to try to optimize your teams to prepare for a match. As for anecdotes, I think jas61292 refusing to name our own team (known as "― Malacondas" for most of the tour) during CAPTT 3 was pretty funny.

How has being staff in the room differed from being forum staff?

Well, being room staff is requires you to be active in chat and try to find ways to improve the activity of the room but it's usually a pretty simple job. Being a forum mod can be a bit more complicated, as there's always stuff to be done like starting threads, running polls, or deciding on policy changes.

What is a pet peeve you have in the CAP Meta or room?

Not a very original answer but teams with only CAPs for sure. It's always pretty sad how new people make that mistake and it really drags down the quality of games on ladder. The worse part is when they go further and attack you for daring to use boring OU mons.

Share a particular team you are proud of?

I'm afraid I haven't build much in the last months as I've been busy with other stuff so I don't really have any good teams to share at the moment.

Can you give some advice for new CAPers starting off in the metagame?

The main advice I'd give to any player both old and new is to play as many games as you can, that's the best way to get better at the game in my opinion. Even if your team is janky and your opponent doesn't play great the experience is still valuable by itself. Trying to play against different people is also very important because you can learn a lot from the different styles of each player.

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
What are your thoughts on LCAP?
Favourite USM CAP innovation that OU doesn't have?
Hardest part of being metagame mod? Favourite part?
What's the ugliest badge?
Who would you want to team up in CAPPL that you've never had as a teammate?
From one "English Major" to another, what drew you to make this professional choice?

looking forward to your answers!

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
hey mx!

what does your dream cappl lineup look like, and can we expect you to be managing again this year?

what was your favorite part about TLing miasmaw? is there anything in particular you learned, or something you wish went differently?

how did being TL compare to other leadership experiences you've had around the project?

any ghost stories / other experiences that you can't explain?

favorite tournament game you've ever played? favorite one you've watched?

on the topic of tours, how do you feel about having oras in this year's cappl lineup, or potentially having eight teams? do you think we should replace cap snake with something else, and if so, do you have any preferences for what it should be?

is there any current / old smogon user that you look up to?

do you have any long term goals for this project, or hopes for where it'll go in the future?

know any really funny jokes?

who's your pick to win the playtest?

what's cooler at parties, being able to lick your elbow or fit your whole hand in your mouth?

finally, who should play each other in BATTLE OF THE WEEK?

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Hi Mx, congrats on the pick this week.

I've always really wanted to explore Argentina as a whole (was gonna spend a week or two there between undergrad and a grad before the pandemic threw that all out of wack), and I eventually want to get there. What are some of the best places you can recommend to a stupid American like me who can read and Speak Spanish near fluently?

Ok, sorry for the delay I've been very busy this week, here's my answers:

Are you going to answer our burning questions???

I'll try.

if “MX” were an acronym, what word would the M stand for, and what word would the X stand for?

Not going to lie, I have nothing. I'm completely terrible at naming things (see as an example the fact that I've never submitted a name for a CAP despite having participated for years).

What are your thoughts on LCAP?

To be honest I've always found LC very frustrating, as I just can't get used to all its technicalities and I already tend to dislike playing other metas. I still hope to see it succeed after the pre evo updates are finished but I don't plan on participating any time soon.

Favourite USM CAP innovation that OU doesn't have?

Arghonaut for sure, it always felt really good to have a good Spikes user that is not Ferrothorn and it's great have more options to deal with stuff like Weavile, Excadrill, and non-Extrasensory Greninja.

Hardest part of being metagame mod? Favourite part? / What is the best and worst part about being a CAP moderator?

Grouping these together because they're practically the same question.

It's not really strictly part of my mod duties but trying to keep resources up to date can be pretty exhausting. As for favorite part, it's a bit more abstract but I like having a chance to improve the popularity of the CAP meta with stuff like better tours and resources.

What's the ugliest badge?

I haven't really thought about this but checking the list of badges but I think I'll have to go with Community Contributor. It feels a little to abstract for its own good, even after playing Platinum I forget it's supposed to be trees, and it's shape is just not very appealing to me.

Who would you want to team up in CAPPL that you've never had as a teammate?

There are a lot of people that I never had the chance to have as teammates, like snake, Jordy, Jho, Rabia, Atha, Voltage, spoo, and many others too but if I had to pick one in particular I'd probably go with quziel, who I really wanted to buy last CAPPL.

From one "English Major" to another, what drew you to make this professional choice?

I decided to study English both because I already had a good understanding of it and because I'd like to find ways to improve the way is taught. When I was in high school my English grades were actually pretty terrible and I always found it to be a very boring subject. Despite that, I managed to learn pretty much the entire language on my own thanks to music, movies, TV, videogames, and other media, so I'd like to find better ways that to transmit our knowledge without having to rely on the current methods, which I frankly find very archaic.

what does your dream cappl lineup look like, and can we expect you to be managing again this year?

Well, the lazy answer would be to just copy the Surging Snaelstroms lineup from last year but I suppose you could improve it by adding quziel and Rabia. As for managing this year, I think I'm going to pass. I'd still like to participate but I don't think I have the energy to manage a team this time.

what was your favorite part about TLing miasmaw? is there anything in particular you learned, or something you wish went differently?

I had a lot of fun being the TL for Miasmaw but being able to implement the Post Play Lookback and a 2.0 release was my favorite part and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. The whole experience also taught me how to work better on leading a team and how to plan things in advance. As for something that I wish went differently, I know that both the concept and typing were pretty controversial but I still think they taught us valuable lessons. If I had to change anything, it would be the stats, as I think focusing more on our Special Attack would have been smarter to better check Slowking without having to worry about burns.

how did being TL compare to other leadership experiences you've had around the project?

I think compared to other experiences I had here it was a lot more intensive, although perhaps that was because I tried to be very involved in every step and also had to plan stuff like the schedule, the implementation of a 2.0 release, and the playtest tournament.

any ghost stories / other experiences that you can't explain?

Not really, I'm a very skeptical person and don't believe in that kind of stuff.

favorite tournament game you've ever played? favorite one you've watched?

Hard to say, I suppose I like how the Miasmaw inaugural game played out, even if I got a bit lucky with Focus Blast hitting. As for favorite ever watched, I don't really have one.

on the topic of tours, how do you feel about having oras in this year's cappl lineup, or potentially having eight teams? do you think we should replace cap snake with something else, and if so, do you have any preferences for what it should be?

I'd really like to see ORAS included this time, as the resources have improved dramatically and there's much more interest in that meta but we still need to wait a bit to confirm if we can all agree on this. Having 8 teams would be great if we have enough people but I'm still not completely sure if it's possible. As for Snake Draft, while I'm glad we tried that format, it definitely had some big flaws and hopefully we can do something better. If we have enough people a World Cup tournament could be really fun but if we don't I know quziel wanted to try a mixed draft that combined the snake draft system with a more traditional PL auction.

is there any current / old smogon user that you look up to?

I've always looked up to reachzero the most, as when I started playing CAP he used to be very active on ladder and losing to him tons of times is how I learned to play better.

do you have any long term goals for this project, or hopes for where it'll go in the future?

I think that CAP is in a good place right now but we still have a lot of room for growth, both in our process and metagame, so I would like to make them more accesible in the future.

know any really funny jokes?

No.

who's your pick to win the playtest?

The Number Man has been doing really well since the Miasmaw Playtest, so I'd bet on them, although all the others are also great players and I think everyone left could win at this point

what's cooler at parties, being able to lick your elbow or fit your whole hand in your mouth?

Well, licking your elbow seems harder and less disgusting, so I'd go with that.

finally, who should play each other in BATTLE OF THE WEEK?

quziel and Rabia but they just play NU. On a more serious note, probably Dj Breloominati♬ vs Darek851, as I think they're both very interesting players and I'd like to see more from them.

What's your favorite thing to cook ?

Probably fresh pasta, it's really easy and fun to do and it's really great compared to bought stuff.

Thoughts on red wine ?

I've tried using white wine for some sauces but I'm not a huge fan and I've never tried red wine.

I've always really wanted to explore Argentina as a whole (was gonna spend a week or two there between undergrad and a grad before the pandemic threw that all out of wack), and I eventually want to get there. What are some of the best places you can recommend to a stupid American like me who can read and Speak Spanish near fluently?

Well, Argentina is a really huge country so you have a lot of options depending on what you like. Buenos Aires is the biggest city and has a lot of interesting places, if you like mountains, provinces like Córdoba, Mendoza, and Neuquén have a tons of interesting sites you could explore, and there are many other interesting places like the Iguazú Falls on the northeast, the Perito Moreno Glaciar on the south, the Quebrada de Humahuaca on the northwest and many others I can't be bothered to remember.

As for not speaking Spanish fluently, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tourism is (or at least used to be before COVID) a very big industry here so it shouldn't be hard to find guides and with just some basic phrases most people will understand you well enough.

how excited are you for part 6 of jojo?

Moderately, to be honest the thing that excites me the most about it is that it'll bring us closer to Part 7 being animated, which is the one I'm really looking forward to. Part 6 is alright but is probably one of my least favorite ones.

If we do a World cup CAP are you willing to be a manager for Latin America? can I be a co-manager :toast:?

Well, I'd definitely like to but it depends a lot on how busy I'll be when we do it.

Favorite Spanish and English word

I don't know, I haven't ever thought about having a favorite word before in any language.

If you were in a house fire, what is the 1 irreplaceable item you would save before you get out?

Depending on what you consider an item, my cat or my laptop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)