Pokémon GO

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't look into this too much. It's not like the said the game's been delayed or cancelled, they just aren't having a presentation anymore.

Serebii has more info on this:

Pokémon GO

It has been confirmed that Japanese field tests for Pokémon GO are to run in March. Recruitment has started on the official site but it is currently location locked to Japan. At a later point, new field tests will run in other countries to help give players the opportunity to test the game out. To sign up, you need a Google/Gmail e-mail address, as well as optionally a username in Niantic's other game, Ingress. Your phone also needs to either be an iPhone 5 or beyond or an Android phone on Android version 4.3 or higher. From this, players will be selected via a lottery and notified later if they are to be able to field test the game. We'll bring more, including field tests in other regions, as it comes.

Hopefully the field tests in places other than Japan will arrive soon.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Serebii has more info on this:

Pokémon GO

It has been confirmed that Japanese field tests for Pokémon GO are to run in March. Recruitment has started on the official site but it is currently location locked to Japan. At a later point, new field tests will run in other countries to help give players the opportunity to test the game out. To sign up, you need a Google/Gmail e-mail address, as well as optionally a username in Niantic's other game, Ingress. Your phone also needs to either be an iPhone 5 or beyond or an Android phone on Android version 4.3 or higher. From this, players will be selected via a lottery and notified later if they are to be able to field test the game. We'll bring more, including field tests in other regions, as it comes.

Hopefully the field tests in places other than Japan will arrive soon.
Actually, if you want to be "first", you can always register a Japanese VPN.
Several of my friends have applied to Pokemon GO by changing their VPN.

The CEO is at SXSW and released some new footage of the game at the end of his talk on AR.

This happened just an hour ago. I'm still foaming.

EDIT- should've mentioned, they won't announce when they launch open beta for other countries, but we were promised the chance to do open beta in USA shortly after Japan has had their time. Just no definite dates.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

The CEO is at SXSW and released some new footage of the game at the end of his talk on AR.

This happened just an hour ago. I'm still foaming.

EDIT- should've mentioned, they won't announce when they launch open beta for other countries, but we were promised the chance to do open beta in USA shortly after Japan has had their time. Just no definite dates.
Graphics looj pretty cool to me
But balls can apparently miss
So they basically can make balls as cash items

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have to admit, while the model looks okay, I kind of question the implementation they did. Bulbasaur doesn't look like it's standing on the grass, it looks like its floating on your screen with the background just being what the camera is pointing at.

Also I don't like you have to aim the Pokeball. Realistic? I guess. But from what it looks like the aiming using gyro controls so I could end up missing because I accidentally move my arm a bit to the left/right. Also the question of the Pokemon's hit box will be the factor as well as how well the depth perception works.

I'm going to assume this is beta stuff and it's not going to look or be as clunky, though then again if you're going to show off footage I would think you'd want it to look the best it could.

Serebii said:
Some new details have been released for the upcoming Smartphone title, Pokémon GO. In the game, you raise level as a trainer and when you reach higher levels, you can find rarer and more powerful Pokémon. Your trainer level also gains you access to more powerful items such as the Great Ball. PokéStops exist in real life as monuments where you can find various items. If you catch the same species of Pokémon enough times, you'll get the opportunity to evolve one of them. And as you explore, you may find Pokémon Eggs at PokéStops, which will hatch after you've walked a certain distance. When they hatch, you may find Pokémon you've never seen before. Some wild Pokémon will appear only in certain places near where you live or around the world. For example, some Water-type Pokémon may appear only near lakes and oceans. If you're away from home, be sure to stay alert for Pokémon you wouldn't normally encounter!
When you reach a certain point in the game, you'll be asked to join one of three teams. When joined, you can set one of your Pokémon to various locations such as gyms around the world. Each player can only put one Pokémon at a gym. If a Gym is owned by another player, you can challenged the gym to claim control. There's also a wide variety of challenges to accomplish in the game. Pre-Release Screenshots have been added to our page
Edit @ 14:33: There appears to be a feature that will let you turn off the camera part of the game where Pokémon would appear in real life surroundings to include a virtual backdrop.
I would imagine that if there was going to be real world purchases, they would be at these PokéStops, but it would be nice if an in-game currency could be gained, either from challenging or owning and maintaining a gym, or whatever the other challenges that were mentioned are. They should really try to figure out a feasible in-game economy, and let pay-to-play be an alternative. I would think that they'd be more successful, that way.

Still though, even if the in-game currency isn't that effective, the idea of finding eggs is really interesting, especially if they are more random and less inclusive to the area, as they are found at stops, and not in the wild. I'm not sure about the need to catch several of a single pokémon to have a chance at evolution, though. That kind of hides the tree within the forest, and what happens when you want a butterfree, but there are only caterpie around? Will several caterpie need to evolve to metapod, to have a chance of a metapod evolving into a butterfree?

At least, if nothing else, this game should be interesting enough to give a reason to get out, more.

The new feature involving leveling yourself up to find better Pokemon reminds me so strongly of Geomon's gameplay.

Something I have to wonder about evolved Pokemon, they state that you can evolve your own, but is it easier to evolve your pokemon on your own time, or is it easier to level yourself up and find them in the wild, assuming evolved pokemon can be encountered in the final version of the game? There must be some sort of balance.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
EDIT: DOH! How did I not see Kiga's post? Well eitherway my points still stand:

So new info. Here's the summary:
  • Trainer Level: As you train Pokemon you also increase your Trainer Level. The higher your Trainer Level the rarer & more powerful the Pokemon you'll be able to find. It also gives you access to better items such as Great Balls.
  • PokeSpots: Monuments that gives you items. You may also get a Pokemon Egg which hatch when you walk around with the game, maybe even into a Pokemon you've yet to see in the game.
  • Evolution: To evolve a Pokemon you need to catch members of its species multiple times.
  • Distribution: As guessed, Pokemon are distributed by location type. For example, generally you'll find Water-type Pokemon near water sources like lakes and the ocean.
  • Teams & Gyms: At a certain point (probably at a certain Trainer Level) you'll be asked to join one of three teams (they don't say who these teams are). Once you join a team you can then place one of your Pokemon in a "Gym" located all around the world. If you find another trainer's Gym you can challenge it and if you win you claim it.
  • Camera: Remember the demo we saw? That's actually just showing off a feature where you can turn on the camera and have the Pokemon "placed" in the real life location. This feature can be turned off and the Pokemon will just be standing in a virtual field.
  • We also get a glimpse at the female trainer avatar.
Trainer Levels make sense, pretty much like progression in the Pokemon games (even though nowadays you can sort of cheat it like buying Ultra Balls with PokeMiles).
PokeSpots sound interesting. I'm wondering whether they'll be real life locations you can visit daily or just temporary existing places which vanish once you visit there. Also I'm curious if you can catch a Pokemon there as they took the name from the Colosseum mechanic. Also if Eggs are a thing does that mean we can possibly Breed Pokemon?
Not sure how I feel about the Evolution method. I mean I guess it gives you incentive to catch the same Pokemon more than once, but if its a 3 stage Pokemon does that you mean you have to evolve all the Pokemon of that species to evolve it again? Or will the evolved form become available in the wild as well?
Hopefully they don't make certain Pokemon exclusive to certain locations only a very select few can get it thus they're the only "supplier" (though PokeSpots giving out "not seen before" Eggs could be a way to circumvent that a bit if the player is lucky, though they'll have a hard time trying to evolve it). But nothing new here.
And now we go into the competitive side of things. So from what it looks like "Gyms" are more like control points, you want your team to have control over the most Gyms. Being how vague they're being it sounds like you can maybe also challenge your own team Gyms making me wonder if there's also a personal reward for owning the a lot of Gyms. Also being you can only place one Pokemon in a Gym is I guess another incentive to have more than just one individual member of a Pokemon species, though what happens to the Pokemon you placed in a Gym that gets defeated? Disappointed the Gyms aren't actually Gyms like in the games, but then again they had to add a competitive feature somehow and what better way to do so than making you own a Gym? Also who knows if they won't have special Gyms.
Yeah, I think most people might keep the camera off unless they're trying to snap a photo.
The female trainer avatar looks alright though hopefully there will be customization.

Last edited:
Noticeable that there's no mention of "battle". From the original announcement video, I guess it was implied, but the whole "evolve by catching thing" might mean Pokemon EXP is tied purely to catching experience. Hmm.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Noticeable that there's no mention of "battle". From the original announcement video, I guess it was implied, but the whole "evolve by catching thing" might mean Pokemon EXP is tied purely to catching experience. Hmm.
I'd actually more guess that the Pokemon can battle, gain experience, and level up, but they can't evolve. Once you have caught enough then they can start evolving, probably how they would normally.

Hmmm, I like the idea of going to historical locations, etc, to find certain items. This will certainly give an advantage to people in certain states/countries/provinces/whatever though. If you live near Washington D.C, I imagine you'll get a load of cool things from the Pokestops. Too bad for me in my state, there aren't too many places like that.

I also like the idea of leaving a Pokemon at the gym to fight other teams, it sounds like an interesting concept. I do hope we'll be able to get the Pokemon back though, and it isn't like "releasing." the Pokemon.

Cresselia~~

Beta field test starts today.
One of my Twitter followers is a chosen one. But I'm not sure if he'll post anything. Theoretically, they are asked not to reveal anything.

EDIT: The Spanish website of Pokemon GO has launched new information!
http://www.cpokemon.com/2016/03/28/constante-actualizacion-filtraciones-de-la-beta-de-pokemon-go/

• Los objetos en el juego se dividen en 7 categorías: Poké Ball, Poción, Revivir, Mapas, Objetos de Batalla, Comida y Cámara.
  • En la beta solo existen los siguientes objetos: Poké Ball, Great Ball, Ultra Ball, Master Ball, Potion, Super Potion, Hyper Potion, Max Potion, Max Revive, X Attack, X Defense, X Miracle (este último es un nuevo objeto), Razz Berry, Bluk Berry, Nanab Berry, Wepear Berry, Pinap Berry y Special Camera.
  • Los Pokémon podrán tener naturalezas, pero serán distintas a los juegos principales. La lista de naturalezas es: Stoic (Estoico), Assassin (Asesino), Guardian (Guardián), Raider (Asaltante), Protector, Sentry (Centinela) y Champion (Campeón).
  • Dentro del juego se podrá comprar con dinero real paquetes de objetos y gemas (desconocemos para que servirán estas últimas).
  • Tal como en los juegos principales, habrá ciclo día – noche.
  • Tal como en los juegos principales, habrá tres clases de Pokémon: normales, legendarios y singulares (mythical).
  • Hasta ahora no hay indicación de que hayan megaevoluciones en el juego, por lo menos en la beta.
  • Parece ser que en las batallas de gimnasios, los Pokémon solo podrán tener 2 movimientos.
(Haha, I know how to read Spanish, too.)

So, we are divided into 3 groups -- Red / Blue/ Yellow.

In the Beta, there's only Pokemon from Gen 1.

You can equip your Pokemon with battle items.

You do not battle wild Pokemon, you only throw Pokeballs at them (like mad)

Pokemon have new natures, but there's only 7 natures in the whole game. Stoic (Estoico), Assassin , Guardian, Raider , Protector, Sentry and Champion .

You can use real life money to purchase items or gems.

There are items like Pokeballs, Great Balls, Master balls, etc.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Here's a video summary of what's been found so far:

I don't have time to summarize it at the moment, but it did mention some new things that I haven't seen before, such as the purpose of dropping your pokémon off at gyms, and the way moves seem to work.

Cresselia~~

I received information from a Chinese gaming website, that Pokemon GO will have Google cardboard or whatever it's called.
I think it's some sort of AR/ VR thing?

Cresselia~~

I'm a little disappointed they didn't do something like with the 3DS' AR cards and have the Pokemon appear in the actual environment by using the phone's camera.
AR mode is confirmed.
You can switch between AR mode and non-AR mode as you like in options.

Also, there are a large amount of new photos in different languages according to Niantic labs.
You may not see the images of another country due to restrictions.
But thankfully, these images are all on facebook by now.

Catch rate for Master Ball is indeed 100%

File size is 69.19 MB

It shows what Pokemon are near you in a picture list.

Pokemon you have caught. (The other tab is show eggs you have got)

You've caught grimer.
It's in full health.
It's 29.32kg , poison type and 0.84m tall.
It has 6 evolve shards, you need 14 more shards to evolve it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)