Pokémon GO

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Yes it’s confirmed either you both get a lucky or none get a lucky. The friendship level determines if your traded Pokémon gets lowered IVs, and potentially level if 1 of you has lower levels (then the max for the Pokémon traded is = to the levels max for the lowest level trainer: I.e. if level 31 and level 30 trade, the max Pokémon level for both trainers is 31.5 not 32.5, so Level 31 can’t receive a level 32.5).

Last edited:
Celebi and Johto Week are coming!

Trainers,

Professor Willow needs your help once again! It seems he’s been tracking the Mythical Pokémon Celebi, which has mysteriously appeared somewhere nearby. Can you help him locate the Time Travel Pokémon? Prepare yourself for August 20, when this Special Research becomes available worldwide!

Along the way to discovering Celebi’s time-shifting nature, you’ll encounter tasks that will test your skills as a Trainer. Complete tasks to gain XP, receive useful items, and even encounter certain Pokémon on your journey! You can begin completing Special Research on Celebi at any time as long as you have done the third group of tasks related to the Special Research on Mew, and actively finish tasks related to both at your own pace!

For those who have already completed the exclusive Pokémon GO Fest Special Research and have obtained the Time Travel Pokémon, completing this new Special Research will earn you a new bounty of Candy to power up your Celebi.

The presence of Celebi has also drawn out the appearance of more Pokémon originally discovered in the Johto region. Plus, Field Research relating to Pokémon discovered in the Johto region will be available throughout this special time. So get into the Johto spirit and get ready for a new adventure!

Can’t wait to show your love for the Johto region? A new Celebi T-shirt will be available for free in the Style Shop. Plus, Pokémon HeartGold and Pokémon SoulSilver Trainer avatar items will also be available in the Style Shop, featuring outfits that unlock according to your Johto medal progress.

Prepare yourselves to get out there and complete this exciting Special Research, Trainers! Stay safe, and happy exploring!

—The Pokémon GO team
So is Regirock!

Trainers,

As another season of Pokémon’s legendary year comes to a close, a Legendary Pokémon originally discovered in the Hoenn region will emerge—Regirock, which begins its domination of Raid Battles on August 16!

Regirock, the Rock Peak Pokémon, has arrived on the scene and will take over Raid Battles from the Steel-type Legendary Pokémon Registeel until September 20. This Rock-type Legendary Pokémon has a sturdy defense, but it’s weak to Water-, Grass-, Fighting-, Ground-, and Steel-type attacks.

Don’t miss your chance to catch this Legendary Pokémon before it disappears! Stay safe, and happy exploring!

—The Pokémon GO team

Yep! Lucky me. Still don't have Mew though. Almost done with the last task.

Still no EX invite btw. Been doing a legendary raid nearly every day.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I believe Regirock has the 2nd best defense in the game currently (behind Shuckle). It took us 2 attempts with 6 people to take it down. I got a 91% weather boosted with perfect attack already, probably won't power it up anytime soon unless there's a strong need for rock types around.

This has never happened before. I caught 5 Regirock out of 5 raids in the past two days, though the best ones are two at 91%

There goes my luck for catching legendaries for the rest of the year...

Expert Evan

Celebi quest starts within 24 hours, am anticipating going to be similar to the Mew quest so I've already got over 400 candies for swablu and wailmer as well as magikarp in case any of them need to evolve as well as a feebas to possibly walk as milotic. I'm not going to burn through numerous raid passes all at once especially for a pokemon that is all likely just going to sit in my box once the quest is all done.

I forgot how difficult Mew was for me. Had I not gotten lucky on that Ditto (I don't think I've ever caught one since that day), I might still not have Mew. And I definitely got lucky on that last curved excellent throw, too.

Expert Evan

Few things I'm already expecting: first I may need to switch my buddy that earns a candy the shortest distance, and that will likely be swablu, wailmer or magikarp even though I really don't need more candies for them at the moment. Also don't use any 2k eggs until after the start. All my 9 eggs are 10k at the moment so I may have to use coins on incubators when necessary. I still take pride in never spending money on coins, only earn them up to 50 per day from gyms. Oh and Regirock along with the other regi's is easiest to get a curveball excellent as I get its circle small enough then wait for it to throw out its fist until I toss one out.

I only managed the curve excellent last time when I ran into a Tyranitar raid. I might've also managed it out of luck once or twice since then, but that one is gonna be hell for me too. I just hope that we find out which 400-candy evolution we need ASAP so I don't waste my time walking the wrong 2km if that's one of the missions again too.

tbh I don't know any tricks to good throws, I just kinda try to time it myself. idek how I randomly caught 5 Regirock lmao.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you practice stopping the ring?
I can go on with 80% great/excellent curveballs on raid bosses no problema
I'm fairly consistent at getting great curveballs on most Pokemon.

I'm poor with excellent curveball throws against most Pokemon though. Generally I'm better off just aiming for great curveballs.

I find practice helps. I have practiced on common Pokemon with large circles - it definitely helps!. I am more comfortable getting excellent throws with Doduos (aim for the circle to be a little smaller than its body). Kangaskhan is another one if you live in Australia.

Fortunately legendaries seem more likely to have large circles, though i often find it's more effective to aim for a great curvethrow with a not-full size great that isn't quite excellent. Lugia has the largest circle I've ever seen! I only needed a few throws to get the hang of it (and subsequently caught 7/7 Lugia!) and continue to throw excellents at it.

Large circle is actually great since larger area yields an excellent
The best way to throw is shrink the circle to whatever you want, release, and then wait till the attack
Start spinning once he starts attacking and throw just as he's about to end
Easy and reliable, works on everything except Lugia (since he becomes hitable before he descends down enough so you cant throw it high enough)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
If you want to git gud at throwing, you can try the Locking Target Trick that is mentioned above. Here's a visual guide:

Nowadays I do more Excellents than Greats on anything. I know every phone is different with regards to screen size, how far the ball actually goes, and how it feels to slide, but something like making the use of this trick a habit has improved my experience in catching most things (as stated, Lugia is the only relevant Pokemon this trick doesn't rly work for. Spoink is also an offender but that's minor). This WILL clash with the muscle memory of the Fast Catch glitch, but if you only care about Raid Bosses, this is fine too.

This has never happened before. I caught 5 Regirock out of 5 raids in the past two days, though the best ones are two at 91%

There goes my luck for catching legendaries for the rest of the year...
lol same here. 5/5 atm. Not even going to bother to catch more. Going to hunt for Alola Marowak now.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Alright, Celebi Quest is live. The most you can do is "Step 2" (of 8) because one of the requirements to clear this step is to catch a Pokemon for 3 days in a row. Guess they didn't want people to get Day 1 Celebi lol.

Increased Johto spawns are live, this includes things like Larvitar. There are also new quests pertaining the Johto Dex.

Finally, Alolan Geodude and Alolan Diglett are spawning in the wild after a brief appearance at GoFest.

What's crazy is that... I didn't even know you can lock the circle.

First quest includes a raid, which is basically impossible in my rural area on a weekday. Welp.

What's crazy is that... I didn't even know you can lock the circle.

First quest includes a raid, which is basically impossible in my rural area on a weekday. Welp.
Damn that's impressive then. You should really put some effort into learning to lock the circle. It's a gamechanger when it comes down to catching.

Expert Evan

Started quest yesterday. Easy to power up and battle 2 in gym but couldn't find any raids around so today's another day. Looks like eevee will be a buddy in future quests so I'll have that one ready.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)