Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

fans who are saying that the game feels incomplete (like the past 2 gens) and the people who bought it feel personally attacked and start fights over it, and are using memes to redirect the problem to those "haters" and it now makes me bitter that the games sold well.
I mean, just because the games sold well and have decent critical reception from most major gaming outlets doesn't mean Gamefreak won't also be addressing the criticisms the game is receiving. Most of Nintendo's major properties, like Smash Brothers, Zelda, and Fire Emblem have typically attempted to address the previous game's problems even if they do occasionally stumble when doing so. Pokemon itself has done so in the past as well, so I doubt Gamefreak will just ignore the criticisms these games are getting.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokemon itself has done so in the past as well, so I doubt Gamefreak will just ignore the criticisms these games are getting.
If only the criticisms had been addressed in a competent way.
"Psychic types are kind of overpowered in Gen I" "OK, let's stack the deck against it from now on, then"
"Some of the cross-gen evolutions were ugly!" "OK, let's never do cross-gen evolutions again"
"We didn't like how you needed HMs to get anywhere in Sinnoh" "OK, we'll make the next games extremely linear instead, then"
"Wait, there are no Pokémon from previous generations in BW?!?" "OK, from now on, the Pokémon from previous generations take center stage. By that you mean Gen I only, right?"
"In hindsight, it was cool that Gen V had a pretty good story." "Too late to fix that in Gen VI, but in Gen VII, we'll let the story take priority and cram the game full of cutscenes. We'll also make sure you can't skip them"
"We want a sequel to Pokémon Snap!" "Say no more, we've got this perfect, fully-fleshed, not-at-all-tedious wildlife photography feature ready for Gen VII!"
"DexNav was awesome!" "The Pokédex was awesome? We'll give it a more expanded role, then!"
"
Megas were kind of cool!" "The shiny new feature was cool? We'll have another one like that lined up in Gen VII, then!"
"
Hmm ...what is this Yokai Watch thing?" "Pokémon will be just like it from now on!"

"Psychic types are kind of overpowered in Gen I" "OK, let's stack the deck against it from now on, then"
"Some of the cross-gen evolutions were ugly!" "OK, let's never do cross-gen evolutions again"
"We didn't like how you needed HMs to get anywhere in Sinnoh" "OK, we'll make the next games extremely linear instead, then"
"Wait, there are no Pokémon from previous generations in BW?!?" "OK, from now on, the Pokémon from previous generations take center stage. By that you mean Gen I only, right?"
"In hindsight, it was cool that Gen V had a pretty good story." "Too late to fix that in Gen VI, but in Gen VII, we'll let the story take priority and cram the game full of cutscenes. We'll also make sure you can't skip them"
"We want a sequel to Pokémon Snap!" "Say no more, we've got this perfect, fully-fleshed, not-at-all-tedious wildlife photography feature ready for Gen VII!"
"DexNav was awesome!" "The Pokédex was awesome? We'll give it a more expanded role, then!"
"
Megas were kind of cool!" "The shiny new feature was cool? We'll have another one like that lined up in Gen VII, then!"
"
Hmm ...what is this Yokai Watch thing?" "Pokémon will be just like it from now on!"
I mean okay but also the #1 complaint about LGPE is that it removed a bunch of the mechanics that improved the games over the years, so clearly they have made some good choices over time or people wouldn’t be so pissed about those things being taken out for these games.

I mean okay but also the #1 complaint about LGPE is that it removed a bunch of the mechanics that improved the games over the years, so clearly they have made some good choices over time or people wouldn’t be so pissed about those things being taken out for these games.
I have a pretty good feeling they did this because the game goes back to gen 1.

Is Eevee worth keeping in the party? I know that Pikachu is kinda OP, but what about Eevee?
Eevee is way more overpowered than Pikachu once you start getting its partner moves. Competitive viability isn’t directly equivalent to in-game obviously but Eevee is currently S-rank in LPGE OU and there’s even discussion of giving it a suspect test if that gives you an idea of how powerful it is. It has crazy coverage (one move for each Eeveelution type) and secondary effects on its moves.

Eevee is way more overpowered than Pikachu once you start getting its partner moves. Competitive viability isn’t directly equivalent to in-game obviously but Eevee is currently S-rank in LPGE OU and there’s even discussion of giving it a suspect test if that gives you an idea of how powerful it is. It has crazy coverage (one move for each Eeveelution type) and secondary effects on its moves.
Thanks! Yeah i mean more in game, but still, good to know. Gonna leave her on my party for a while then (just started, dont have partner moves as of now)

By the way, where can i see LPGE OU ranks? Or movesets?

Thanks! Yeah i mean more in game, but still, good to know. Gonna leave her on my party for a while then (just started, dont have partner moves as of now)
Eevee is kind of meh until you reach Cerulean. There you get the first 3 special moves, and it can easily solo the entire game from that point.
It does kinda fall off (without considering candy usage) in late game due to not being particularly bulky and lacking stabs or high spatk/atk to go with the moves, but still provides massive utility for postgame fights.

They haven’t removed mechanics in any other remake that I can think of offhand, though.
Well then maybe because it is geared more towards people who are new to the game part of the series and wanted them to have the mechanics more like the original gen 1

Right, so it wasn’t just because it’s a Gen 1 game.
They did imply that the removal of specific mechanics had both aims: keep it closer to gen 1 and maintain a degree of simplicity for new players who at most played Go or are actually particularly young.

The mechanics removed (Abilities, Items) were not present in gen 1, and offer a significant degree of complexity (as well as being generally not impactful in the story line as I went over a few times in wall of texts in this post) that can be confusing for a complete novice.

The core games mechanics that were kept were either:
- already present:
IVs existed in gen 1, albeith capped to 15 and with a different system that determined them
Candy value mimic EVs in a lot of ways, and are a passable link between EVs and the candy / CP system of Go
- simple to understand:
Natures are very simple +10% -10% to two stats, and are shown clearly in the Pokemon stat page
Mega Evolutions are very graphical and easy to understand: you click a button, the Pokemon evolves, gains more stats and sometimes changes type
Alolan forms are as well easy to grasp: Pokemon of same species can have a different form with different type and moves. This is also already present in Go so Go players are familiar with it

They did imply that the removal of specific mechanics had both aims: keep it closer to gen 1 and maintain a degree of simplicity for new players who at most played Go or are actually particularly young.

The mechanics removed (Abilities, Items) were not present in gen 1, and offer a significant degree of complexity (as well as being generally not impactful in the story line as I went over a few times in wall of texts in this post) that can be confusing for a complete novice.

The core games mechanics that were kept were either:
- already present:
IVs existed in gen 1, albeith capped to 15 and with a different system that determined them
Candy value mimic EVs in a lot of ways, and are a passable link between EVs and the candy / CP system of Go
- simple to understand:
Natures are very simple +10% -10% to two stats, and are shown clearly in the Pokemon stat page
Mega Evolutions are very graphical and easy to understand: you click a button, the Pokemon evolves, gains more stats and sometimes changes type
Alolan forms are as well easy to grasp: Pokemon of same species can have a different form with different type and moves. This is also already present in Go so Go players are familiar with it
On that note, the visible nature effects is another feature I hope makes it over to the main games so I don’t have to always Google the ones that aren’t common in competitive like Jolly or Modest.

On that note, the visible nature effects is another feature I hope makes it over to the main games so I don’t have to always Google the ones that aren’t common in competitive like Jolly or Modest.
The visible color have been a thing in gen 7 games and I believe gen 6 too technically :P

"
"
Yeah, I really can't deny most of this, except maybe the point against Psychics (I personally feel its still about on par with Dragon offensively, where it's a pretty good neutral STAB option, but mediocre secondary coverage). I wouldn't necessarily call Gamefreak's attempts at addressing criticism incompetent, but rather, unpolished; workable solutions that satisfies criticisms, but are fairly clunky and in some cases, detract from the game in other ways.

At the very least, as far as first console entry Pokemon games go, I do think LGPE has the least amount of clunk to it compared to other games in the series apart from maybe X and Y. These games may be simplified, but the simplifications made way for a lot of conveniences and meaningful changes that improved the overall play experience in my opinion. I can only hope that gen 8 will bring most of these changes, though knowing gamefreak, we'll have to wait and see.

I personally want both games so that I can do Pikachu with a whole ton of using candies and Eevee without using a single candy
If you get a phisical copy, you don't actually need to do that. Simply switching profile on the Switch will get you a new save file I believe.

Otherwise, just know abusing candies makes the storyline of the game excessively easy, as it basically nearly completely removes the necessity of using other Pokemon to deal with type matchups.
Speedruns are currently done by basically buffing up 2-3 specific mons (I believe most common are the starter then Starmie and Zapdos once you get surf, but there's been other tested) and running down the game with them.

Without using candies however, there's some parts of the game where there's massive difficulty spikes, and the various Coach and several Ace trainers are no joke at all. I completely opted out of using Eevee and candies until postgame, and while I never actually wiped, I've had tons of close calls and had to spam consumables far more than I ever needed in previous titles.
I suspect this has a lot to do with Let's Go movesets though: almost every Pokemon (except Charizard for some godforsake reason) get their strong stabs WAY earlier. Most Pokemon will already be running with 80/90 BP stabs and coverage by level 30, and that goes for you as well as enemy. AI enemies also often have reduced movesets so they *will* spam that high damage move rather than waste time Tail Whipping your level 50 mons, and almost always have strong TMs used like Outrage, so if you expected to take no damage while travelling due to no wild battles... nope.

I never expected it to be the easiest of Pokemon games LOL
That's unrealistic. Considering the audience they are intended to (kids and complete novices), I am quite sure everyone expected them to be extremely simple. Which is the case with candy abuse, as well as the starters being able to basically solo the entire game like almost all other Pokemon games anyway.

In fact I was pleasantly surprised of how the game actually poses a challenge if you don't candy up mons. That was really unexpected, I was expecting to demolish the entire game without even trying.

Yeah litteraly the only thing you have to do to make it extremely challenging from what I have read here is A)don't use candies and B)don't use partner moves
As far as I can tell anyway
EDIT just started a second playthrough of detective Pikachu (nomal mode this time)

Last edited:
I was battling master trainers and it just really bothers me how they handled the master trainers in lavender tower. They are facing towards graves so it looks like they're morning something but then they causally ask you to battle within the span of a second. I just feel like it completely ruins the mood of the tower. Also the master trainers there for the most part make little to no sense, there's Hypno(This one is the only one I feel like belongs here as it's a creepy pokemon in a creepy place) Lapras(The only thing I can think for this one is that it was near extinction however would a water route not make more sense) Raichu (Trace uses Raichu here in let's go Eevee, through Vermilion city, Viridian forest or the power plant would make more sense) and Weepinbell (It's a posion type, though why not one of the routes it can be found on). The most fitting pokemon for this place are either found in Lavender town(Gastly line and Marowak) or on route 8(Cubone).

I also found the difficulty to vary. I struggled with the Ninetails and Victreebel trainers wining mostly due to luck however I breezed through the Eevee, Raichu, Arcanine and Arbok trainers. Still I'm surprised they didn't put super effective moves on the Arbok, Raichu and Arcanine trainers even though they all could learn either dig or earthquake.

I also found the difficulty to vary.
If you check the movesets, they alternate.

There's a few that look particularly challenging, other that are stupidly easy, and a few that are pure "screw you" with full RNG sets (clefairy's, zubat's for example, who have sing+metronome or confusion + flinchhax)

I don't think it's a bad "plan" to have various difficulty masters, though it would have made more... sense if for example NFE masters had the easy trainers, while fully evolved pokemon masters actually had challenging movests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)