• The moderator of this forum is Austin.
  • Welcome to Smogon! Take a moment to read the Introduction to Smogon for a run-down on everything Smogon.

Programming Pokémon Showdown Damage Calculator

I noticed a weird discrepancy between the calculator and actual damage hits on Showdown.

I was testing Freeze-Dry's interaction with Tinted Lens on a Water/Steel type in https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1404538578, and I got this damage roll (this Kyurem doesn't have Tinted Lens, not that that should affect the damage roll anyways):

The opposing Kyurem used Freeze-Dry!
(Naviathan lost 31.5% of its health!)

However, putting in the same Pokemon into the calc, I get this:

0 SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Naviathan: 135-159 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Both Pokemon were 31 IV, 0 EV, neutral nature, and level 100 in both the calc and on Showdown, so I don't understand where the discrepancy is coming from.
Showdown autosets your EVs to 252 in everything in Custom Game and related formats if they are all 0. You can confirm this using the !showteam command or checking in battle stats.

252 SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Naviathan: 118-141 (28.7 - 34.3%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO

May

formerly Plague von Karma
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributor
This is very minor as Psywave is a very rare move to see competitive use, but I've noticed it doesn't actually function in the damage calculator at all, unlike Seismic Toss and Night Shade. As far as I know, the only Pokemon to use Psywave are a few mediocre RBY Pokemon like Butterfree and (I think) Bronzor in newgen lower-tiers, so I understand why, but it would be nice to have for damage comparison.

For example;
1631625257633.png

Psywave is currently programmed as what seems to be a 1 Base Power move. The correct appearance would be 0 - ~41.2% I think?

Again I know this is very minor and the amount of changes Psywave has seen over the years imply it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Regardless I thought I'd put something here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)