Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battle on Pokemon Smash seems to confirm that Mega Evolution has priority:

At 2:30 Slowbro uses Trick Room, Ampharos is sent out, Mega-Evolves, but does not attack first. Slowbro uses Rain Dance, Gogoat attacks, Ampharos strikes Blaziken with Thunder.
Girlfriend, really? That song was popular 6 years ago.

Too bad Blaziken immediately KOd Pangoro. We couldve gotten some idea of its speed based on when it moved.

I wonder if GF thought about the Steel/Psychic pokes when they made that nerf.

EDIT: Notice some of my posts have been deleted. That fucks with my post count :(

Last edited:
A couple things I gathered form the video are these:
  • Pangoro had 155 HP at level 50, meaning it has a base HP range of 48-95, assuming minimum and maximum IV's respectively. Assuming 31 IV's, that narrows it to 80-95. So it could be decently bulky I guess...
  • Mega Evolution has priority in a turn. This is huge. Mega Mawile is even better now that it can Mega Evolve before it has to take a hit. Whether it takes place before even switching though remains to be seen. ALSO NOTE, there is an awkward cut scene (2:57) after Ampharos mega evolves and before the "rest of the turn" plays out. While probably nothing and the turn proceeded as normal, it could be argued that Mega Evolution's priority in a turn is still not 100% confirmed.
  • Malamar likes to die and die fast, but at least it's faster than Rhyperior. Slower than Blaziken, but that may be by design to play with Topsy-turvy. That gives a mild idea as to what Speed tier it's in, and which it isn't.
  • Gogoat took that Ice Beam like a champ, and appears to be similar in power to Sawsbuck. (0 Atk Sawsbuck Horn Leech vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (and 0 HP IV) Slowbro: 80-96 (51.61 - 61.93%)). As noted above, it proceeded to be murdered by Mega Ampharos' Dragon Pulse though, which must just hurt a loooot.
  • You see Ampharos' HP stat before and after Mega Evolving, and it retains the same 178 stat.
  • Animation is beautiful. There are big things like moves, and small things like how diagonal opponents turn towards each other if attacking (3:07).
  • Berry eating has a cute little, non-berry-specific animation now. Shorter than previous generation's animations, so that's good.
  • Dragon Pulse is best move, animation wise. :3
  • Girl had no idea how Mega Ampharos worked, or at least acted like it. Using Horn Leech on a now-Dragon and her Shedinja being hit by an electric move (after demonstrating with avoiding Slowbro that it did indeed have WonderGuard) proves that. The sheer shock and confusion on her face as Shedinja went down was hilairious...
For what it's worth, those are my findings.

EDIT: Someone check my math for the first point... Looking back I'm not confident anymore, and my brain is having trouble switching from grading-papers-mode to math-mode.

EDIT2: Here goes... 155 HP at level 50 with maximums and minimums can come from:
  • Max EV and 31 IV base 48
  • Max EV, 0 IV base 64
  • No EV's and 31 IV base 80
  • No EVs and 0 IV base 95

Last edited:
Mega Evolution has priority in a turn. This is huge. Mega Mawile is even better now that it can Mega Evolve before it has to take a hit. Whether it takes place before even switching though remains to be seen. ALSO NOTE, there is an awkward cut scene (2:57) after Ampharos mega evolves and before the "rest of the turn" plays out. While probably nothing and the turn proceeded as normal, it could be argued that Mega Evolution's priority in a turn is still not 100% confirmed.
If this is true this also helps Mega Absol who needs it to activate as soon as it switches in to make full use of it's ability Magic Bounce.

If this is true this also helps Mega Absol who needs it to activate as soon as it switches in to make full use of it's ability Magic Bounce.
True as well, but not as huge for Absol because it could have relied on Sucker Punch for the priority evolution anyway. Since Mega Evolution was tied to the move, the priority of Sucker Punch whether or not it failed or succeeded would give Absol that +1 slot to evolve into. It also doesn't work on the switch-in turn; you would mega evolve the turn afterwards. Because of that, Absol might be a good Pokemon for the lead slot on a lot of teams to get that Magic Bounce up and activated early, assuming Mega Evolution stays after switching out in a battle, which also has yet to be seen. As mentioned above, Mawile will love this priority mechanic, since now it doesn't HAVE to run Sucker Punch to boost its defenses before it gets hit, and can instead go with the super-powered Foul Play boosted by it's Huge Power for its Dark move of choice. Garchomp will not, since its base Speed will now drop and putting it in a lower bracket before the turn really "starts".

Another thing in the video I noticed is this: Blaziken was in a Cherish Ball. I'm curious why. Are they making you think it's the distribution Torchic that will start on the 12th? If that's the case, I'm getting worried that there may be other interesting things tied to Mega Evolution. The advertisements for the Torchic and the Kanto starters you get in game says that they can Mega Evolve. They. It's often been interpreted as "their species can Mega Evolve", but what if it's distribution exclusive somehow for some Pokemon? Mega Blaziken may not be able to Baton Pass Speed Boosts if only the distribution, Egg-move-less one can undergo Mega Evolution. While I believe it'll be species wide in Mega Evolution's case, the fact that you specifically see a Cherish Ball Blaziken raised a red flag to me.

EDIT: Worth noting for the last point; you also do not see Ampharos' Poke Ball type in the video, so another layer of mystery...

Something i noticed is that aparently contact moves animations still show up as separate scenes. You have the attacker making the animation to attack, and then the camera cuts to the target taking it, but theres no real contact between them. Such a shame, i was hoping for it to work like pokemon battle revolution.
No if you look at the first trailer and the last one you can see that some move's animations actualy have the pokemon moving to the target's position (the new move from Yveltal and the move from froakie)

• Girl had no idea how Mega Ampharos worked, or at least acted like it. Using Horn Leech on a now-Dragon and her Shedinja being hit by an electric move (after demonstrating with avoiding Slowbro that it did indeed have WonderGuard) proves that. The sheer shock and confusion on her face as Shedinja went down was hilairious...
In fairness to the girl, a LOT OF PEOPLE appear to have forgotten Mega Ampharos got Mold Breaker

Last edited:
In fairness to the girl, a LOT OF PEOPLE appear to have forgotten Mega Ampharos got Mold Breaker
I forgot. I thought it used Nuzzle to kill Shedinja and Nuzzle ignored Wonder Guard.

or its Dark move of choice. Garchomp will not, since its base Speed will now drop and putting it in a lower bracket before the turn really "starts".

Another thing in the video I noticed is this: Blaziken was in a Cherish Ball. I'm curious why. Are they making you think it's the distribution Torchic that will start on the 12th? If that's the case, I'm getting worried that there may be other interesting things tied to Mega Evolution. The advertisements for the Torchic and the Kanto starters you get in game says that they can Mega Evolve. They. It's often been interpreted as "their species can Mega Evolve", but what if it's distribution exclusive somehow for some Pokemon? Mega Blaziken may not be able to Baton Pass Speed Boosts if only the distribution, Egg-move-less one can undergo Mega Evolution. While I believe it'll be species wide in Mega Evolution's case, the fact that you specifically see a Cherish Ball Blaziken raised a red flag to me.

EDIT: Worth noting for the last point; you also do not see Ampharos' Poke Ball type in the video, so another layer of mystery...
There is no layer of mystery.

if only those specific Pokemon could go Mega, they would pretty much need to tell you so you don't stupidly release them, trade them, or transfer in new ones with the hope of being able to mega-evolve them.
Take the torchic distribution. They only state that Blazikenite is not found in normal gameplay (well that and Speed Boost on the Torchic line)

The only way to read meaning like "ONLY THESE SPECIFIC VARIANTS CAN MEGA EVOLVE" is to go in with the mindset of "what are they hiding?!?!"

There is no layer of mystery.

if only those specific Pokemon could go Mega, they would pretty much need to tell you so you don't stupidly release them, trade them, or transfer in new ones with the hope of being able to mega-evolve them.
Take the torchic distribution. They only state that Blazikenite is not found in normal gameplay (well that and Speed Boost on the Torchic line)

The only way to read meaning like "ONLY THESE SPECIFIC VARIANTS CAN MEGA EVOLVE" is to go in with the mindset of "what are they hiding?!?!"
While I do almost completely believe that all species will be able to go Super Saiyan, I'm a pessimist so the fact that it's not 100% confirmed yet leads my paranoid mind astray; I almost always go into things with "what are they hiding", like how Sylveon survived that Politoed. On releasing and trading though, they haven't really had to tell us not to release it yet because of the obvious - we still have two weeks till it comes out. We also have until December before we can transfer things in from past games. By then, if it is only specific ones that can go Mega, we should know by them telling us or finding out ourselves.

Again, I'm not being 100% conspiracy or anything nuts. I'm just saying that the possibility is there. I believe that the Blaziken was in a Cherish just to link it to and imply it was from the distribution. But the possibility remains until 100% confirmed otherwise.

While I do almost completely believe that all species will be able to go Super Saiyan, I'm a pessimist so the fact that it's not 100% confirmed yet leads my paranoid mind astray; I almost always go into things with "what are they hiding", like how Sylveon survived that Politoed. On releasing and trading though, they haven't really had to tell us not to release it yet because of the obvious - we still have two weeks till it comes out. We also have until December before we can transfer things in from past games. By then, if it is only specific ones that can go Mega, we should know by them telling us or finding out ourselves.
GameFreak wouldn't make one of the things long term Pokemon fans available to online or wifi only, remember a sizable amount probably are unable to use wifi, so it'd be a middle finger to them. They'll release something that allows you to transfer Pokemon but not conveniently.

I loved how shocked she looked when Shedninja was OHKO'd by Thunderbolt. I guess she forgot Mega Ampharos is packing Mold Breaker.
In every show she is in she always loses at the end. The one with Mewtwo mega evolving was priceless.

So if you could pick one thing right now, what are you most excited for?

For me it will playing a new campaign and building a team to beat the elite 4.

Ok, some interesting math that we can do since Gogoat hit Slowbro and Mega Ampharos with the same attack: it dealt 92 to Slowbro SE and 17 to MAmpharos, which, when accounting for SE and NVE, means that MAmpharos has ~35% higher defense than Slowbro. The absolute minimum base defense for MAmpharos (0- 0 EVs for Slowbro, 252+ 31 EVs for MAmpharos) is 75, currently regular Ampharos's defense. Personally, I hope the EVs/IVs/Natures wouldn't be this stacked in favor of the new pokemon, but they very well could be.
Some other possible assumptions:
  • 0- 0 Evs Slowbro 252 neutral 31 EVs MAmpharos: 87 base defense
  • 0 neutral 0 Evs Slowbro 252 neutral 31 EVs MAmpharos: 103 base defense
  • 0 neutral 31 Evs Slowbro 252 neutral 31 EVs MAmpharos: 123 base defense
So if there is a boost, it will be at least 10, however there is a possibility of no boost at all for some stats.

In every show she is in she always loses at the end. The one with Mewtwo mega evolving was priceless.

So if you could pick one thing right now, what are you most excited for?

For me it will playing a new campaign and building a team to beat the elite 4.
This will be my first Pokemon game in which I won't know all of the new Pokemon while I'm playing. I'm excited about just catching all the new stuff I find and making a team out of Pokemon I've never seen before.

I even forgot about Mold Breaker. Its an decent ability and definitely forgettable.... Unless they change the mechanic and pokemon not affected by moves are now affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)