Pokémon you keep noncompetitively

We all have a ton of competitive, perfectly bred pokémon. But do you just release all the pokémon you can't use in tournaments?

Probably not, I'm guessing.

This is to discuss those buddies you keep around in order to keep around, be it for sentimental reasons, Über reasons, et cetera.

I usually always keep my in-game team, for sentimental value. I also have several "Utility" 'mons that I use for catching/hatching other 'mons - an entire box dedicated to Synchronize Munnas, a Trace Gardevoir for ability scouting in the FS, a Frisk Gothitelle with Thief for item collecting, and others I can't quite remember right now.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm liking all these threads BaffleBlend, Orange Islands had become a bit bland :x

Like Sakuretsu, I keep the Pokemon I used for my story run and I keep a few "utility" mons as well. I had a Doduo named "FLY" who was, yes, used to Fly me around before I caught Yveltal. But even after I didn't need him anymore, I just couldn't let the bastard go :|

I also kept the EV trained but not properly bred Pokemon from my past games...I don't think I will ever release them, but I'm unsure if I will ever use them to battle again now that I am finally getting into breeding "proper" Pokemon.

EDIT: Cobraroll's post reminded me, I also have a Vileplume I caught for the story but ultimately decided not to use. I was glad to find that it was very helpful in using Sweet Scent to find Hordes I could fight against to EV train. Vileplume isn't really that bad though, so I might consider breeding an actually good one to use in fun matches.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, one of my MVPs on my Pokémon Y game is a Male Combee, completely untrained, at lvl. 13. The little fellow is infected with PokéRus, and helps spread the germs to new team members. He also has Sweet Scent to initiate Horde Battles, and Honey Gather as an ability so I can initiate Horde Battles even on his off days.

It's a role that needs to be filled, somebody has to have the virus, somebody has to have Sweet Scent, and Honey is a neat bonus. Tons of 'mons could probably do the same job, but I kinda like using a Combee. He wouldn't be good for anything else, after all male Combee are the weakest fully evolved Pokémon the game has to offer, but he fits perfectly in the "introducer" role. It's his lot in life, so to say, the one job he could do just as well as a fully EV'd 6IV Mewtwo (better, actually, since Mewtwo can't learn Sweet Scent). Certainly not a Pokémon I want to release any time soon, though he spends a lot of time in my PC, for obvious reasons.

Ah. I basically keep nearly everything. Excluding trades to get rid of stuff I don't want, the only pokes I have released are the breeding rejects from my latest breeding projects (and that's because ALL my boxes are full! >_<). So yeah, I guess I just hoard pokes, regardless of their competitive viability. Do I get an award for being a poke hoarder? :p

As for me, oh there are so many.

-There's my first XY shiny, my Charizard. He may have stupidly low IVs, but he's my fluffy dragon. Rawr.

-There's the typical Utility box; a Smeargle with Sweet Scent/Fly/Surf/Milk Drink, a trace frisk thief, a Flying Flame Body Volcarona, and 25 Pickup Lillipups of varying levels.

-I keep my Mewtwo as a pet. Because I think she's freakin' cute. Same with Reshiram/Wkyurem, Mew, and Lugia.

-I have a Mkangaskhan that I traded a Shiny Sneasel for in order to get early. This was before she was banned. After it happened, though, I just couldn't bear to let her go. Same with Lucario.

I'm also something of a Pokemon hoarder. However for me it's usually not sentimental value that makes me hold onto them (with the exception of my in-game team, which I always keep around at least until I reset the game). No, it's that feeling that I might need that random garbage Pokemon some day for some reason! Because of this I'd always keep at least one Pokemon of every evolutionary line (and usually one of each species as well). The only Pokemon I'd ever release would duplicates and breeding trash. It was made worse in X&Y when wonder-trade made getting lots of trainer IDs for the lottery easy, because now I had a reason to even keep duplicate Pokemon if they had different trainer IDs. Because of this I'm actually struggling to find PC space in my Y version. It isn't made better by the fact that I keep literally everything that might have some utility, like a box of synchronize Ralts covering every non-neutral nature, or any Pokemon with almost perfect IVs I might need as a spitback to start breeding another Pokemon someday.

The real kicker though is that after my initial burst, I hardly do anything in-game anymore. I've almost stopped breeding anyway and I don't plan on completing the Pokedex. Yet I still let all those Pokemon sit there in my boxes uselessly, because one day I MIGHT need them...

Now that I have a complete living pokedex (yay, though still missing some event 'mons), I don't have too many extra boxes to store things. I have one box for competitive pokemon, one box for "training" (EV training, leveling up, whatever), and one box for multiple IV mons I've gotten through Wonder Trading (to breed from eventually).

The only mons I keep out of sentimental value are utility mons such as Ditto & False Swipe Quacklin', extra legendaries, and shinies. Otherwise I'll just replace a 'mon in my living pokedex if I become more attached to it.

I like to keep my very first level 100 Dragonite. I remember getting it from the lottery in Fire Red and was eager to transfer it over to my Diamond file. It started out at level 17 and I agonizingly tried to get it maxed out. It took a while, but it was worth it and ever since then he became one of my favorites.

I'm liking all these threads BaffleBlend, Orange Islands had become a bit bland :x
Yeah I've noticed. :p I do my best.

Ah. I basically keep nearly everything. Excluding trades to get rid of stuff I don't want, the only pokes I have released are the breeding rejects from my latest breeding projects (and that's because ALL my boxes are full! >_<). So yeah, I guess I just hoard pokes, regardless of their competitive viability. Do I get an award for being a poke hoarder? :p

Ah, I hoard, too. That's why I consider Bank a good investment. I can't bear releasing anything.

I like to keep my very first level 100 Dragonite. I remember getting it from the lottery in Fire Red and was eager to transfer it over to my Diamond file. It started out at level 17 and I agonizingly tried to get it maxed out. It took a while, but it was worth it and ever since then he became one of my favorites.
I tried to keep my first level 100 (a Medicham), but, unfortunately, I have no idea where she went. I think she might've gotten mixed up in a save reset somewhere by mistake -_-

I pretty much keep all shitmons I get from WT for lotto fodder. I have 9 PP maxes thanks to them. Also I do have a shiny beautifly with shit IVs. But who would get rid of a shiny?

I have a lot of stuff.
-In-game teams. I always transfer my teams over, for sentimental reasons; I currently have two boxes full of old teams that I just can't bring myself to leave.
-Utility mons. I have a third box dedicated to breeding, with Dittos of all IVs and Natures, a Flame Body Talonflame, a Sweet Scent Vespiquen, and a Synchronize Gardevoir.
-Pokedex Mons. I'm an avid collector and Pokedex completer, so I tend to amass insane amounts of Pokemon because I want to evolve them or breed them to fill my Pokedex. My 5 shinies also fall under this category.
-Wonder Trades and Breeding Spitbacks. I have five full boxes of this crap. I breed religiously, so I get tons of spitbacks; I then Wonder Trade them off, but I get crap from Wonder Trade most of the time too :/

Surprisingly enough, I haven't drowned under the weight of all my Pokemon yet.

My utility box currently consists of:
-Male and female Cute Charm users (for breeding)
-Frisk Trevenant with Thief (Heart Scale farmer)
-The Gardevoir you get from Diantha (Modest synchronizer. I know, I'm a terrible person.)
-Gourgeist (Pickup)
-Vespiquen (Sweet Scent user)
-Flame Body Talonflame (Egg hatcher, flier)
-Something with Pokerus (Don't remember what)

And still no shinies. :/

I was reading through this thread and decided to actually organize my boxes (as well as put guys I currently really don't need in Pokemon Bank).

- The first 9 boxes are devoted to non-legendary Pokemon that I will not use, but that I feel like I could keep in case I need to start breeding (all 9 are currently filled so 270)
- The next one consists of legendaries that I haven't soft resetted for that I want to keep (17 Pokemon)
- Next one is the Unown (I didn't finish transferring them all. I am currently "missing" F, G, H, I, J, P, and W)
- Next two boxes are partly filled with guys that I feel could make good breeding partners either for the egg moves they have or the useful hidden abilities they have (39 Pokemon altogether)
- Following that I have 7 empty boxes that I will use for breeding purposes
- After that, I have legendaries or other things I don't want that I wouldn't mind trading thanks to having and playing all the games (sometimes in multiples). (51 Pokemon altogether)
- I have a box of shinies that I don't currently have plans of training up that I got either myself or by trade (25 Pokemon altogether)
- A box of the different Ditto I use for breeding including my perfect IV Japanese Ditto I got in a trade in White (10 Dittos)
- A box of legendaries that I want to EV train and train up but I didn't get a chance to yet (19 altogether)
- Two boxes partly full of fully trained legendaries (minus bringing some up to level 100) (41 Pokemon)
- A box of fully trained non-legendaries from the previous versions that I wanted to bring up (16 Pokemon)
- A box of fully trained non-legendary Pokemon I trained in Pokemon Y (7 so far)
- A box of non-legendary guys I want to EV Train but haven't yet (19 of them, including the 3 shinies I MM'd)
- Finally a box containing members of my in-game teams from both X and Y and the guys I have for utility like TMs and stuff (15 guys so far, including my Flyers from both games (Salamence, Charizard, and Pidgeot), my Covet user from X (Sylveon), my Strength users from both games (Salamence and Blastoise), my Rock Smash/Cut user from Y (Monferno), and my Sweet Scent user from Y (Victreebel))

So, altogether in terms of strictly "non-competitive Pokemon" (Pokemon that won't be used in any competitive battles), about 448 out of the 550 that I currently have on cartridge are "non-competitive". If you relax that to include my Dittos and guys that I have kept because of egg moves/abilities, it becomes 399/550.

So, most of my cartridge is full of things I wouldn't use competitively. I'm like one of the few Pokemon fans in my group of friends that do both competitive play and dex owning.

I usually keep a bunch of things cause I'm a hoarder too. I keep the good things from breeding projects to bribe people with (not as important now with PokeBank though), all Wonder Trades for lotto, in-game team because I'm soft, boxes of dittos for nature breeding, boxes of Synchronize things to catch legends - several of which I haven't gotten yet - or wild things... The list goes on an on. BUT there is one utility thing that is near and dear to my heart, and happens to be my current favorite:

Noivern @ nothing
Nature: Timid
Ability: Frisk
EVs: who cares. Probably 252 Spe / 252 SpA
- Thief
- Air Cutter
- Fly
- Boomburst / Dragon Pulse

When it comes to general wild-Pokemon item collecting, this thing is the bomb. Heart Scale collecting just became the easiest thing in the world with Noivern in tow; take your Old Rod and fish for some lovely Luvdisc and just wait for Frisk to trigger on that 50% chance if them having one. If Frisk doesn't go off, but there is a berry tree behind the Pokemon in question, make the battle not useless by throwing out a STAB Air Cutter and collecting them. That's a couple berries you didn't have to grow. Fly is obvious for in-game running about shennanigans and Heart Scale spending. The last slot of for either reliable STAB with Dragon Pulse or hoarde-killing. Boomburst outdamages Dragon Pulse anyway on neutral targets, so that's what I go with most of the time. Of all the utility-mons I've run in the past, none are so useful as Noivern.

I love my Magnezone. I always liked Magnezones, but this one had bad IVs and stuff. Banked it over and keep it in a box. Also, my N's Zoroark. It's somewhat useful because it's 30/30/30/30/30/30.

I keep my in game team as they are good for using as strong pokemon in game, as required. I also keep 4 boxes of rubbish, two boxes of run offs and a few assorted pokemon I kept for some reason.

I'm similar with the above where I generally always keep my in-game team SOMEwhere in my boxes, but I also keep some random derps any friends or traders give me. I'm never more picky about this where if a friend gives me a mon I really like (Like how I have a Deerling named Akiko I had since... October-November I believe) where I just couldn't part with it 'cause... Deerling owns. Such a cute horsie.

Most of the keeps from past gens have been shinies I found over the years, as well as some competitive mons (Legit one of the VERY FEW mons I have from 3rd Gen that has made it all the way to 6th is my shiny Vaporeon. Such a tiny pool)

Oh man, hahaha, I feel kind of awkward now compared to everyone else here. I'm not into the competitive or breeding scenes at all (more of a story-mode-focused player), so pretty much every Pokemon I own is non-competitive. Still, I love all my bbies, especially ones that I've used in-game (of course). Have only done a bit of experimenting with IV breeding, so I have maybe a box or two of run-off from that. Other than that, I just have boxes of 'mons I've caught in-game and in Friend Safaris, or that I've gotten via Wonder Trade. Really should figure out how to organize them better. It's all pretty messy in there right now, apart from the box I keep my story mode team in, and my sad attempt at an Eeveelution farm.

Um, since I have barely just gotten into trying the competitive scene...virtually everything. Pretty much all the legendary Pokemon I intend to transfer up from my White 2 will be kept non-competitive, and Shiny Dialga will thus get to keep Roar of Time. The only one with anything resembling good IV's is Reshiram with Sp. Attack, but that's it.

All the Pokémon I don't use in competitive tournaments such as VGC, I usually just keep for trading for other Pokémon that I might use in the near future. For example, if I have multiple duplicates for flawless Hydreigons, I keep them just in case someone decides to offer me a Pokémon that I could possibly use in VGC tournaments.

But I always keep my in-game team; too much sentimental value, all the good times we went through *cries hard*. ;-; I even keep my in-game team in a separate box because they're that special to me.

I also have an entire box full of Synchronize Abras with non-neutral natures in my Pokémon X so that I can possibly get the nature I want for a Pokémon I might use for competitive use. Kinda of like what Sakuretsu and Hulavuta mentioned, I keep around a bunch of utility mons for breeding and Pseudo RNG abuse.

Last edited:
I usually always keep my in-game team, for sentimental value. I also have several "Utility" 'mons that I use for catching/hatching other 'mons - an entire box dedicated to Synchronize Munnas, a Trace Gardevoir for ability scouting in the FS, a Frisk Gothitelle with Thief for item collecting, and others I can't quite remember right now.
Oh yeah, I have one of those too. I have a Modest Synchronize Gardevoir for FS nature scouting, a Golurk for just flying places, a Litwick w/Flame Body for egg hatching, and a Malamar w/Suction Cups for chain fishing for shinies.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Eh, I have a shiny treecko I bred. It's quiet, though.
You could run a Trick Room team with Sceptile in the Battle Maison I guess.

Anyways I always keep legendaries to show off to my friends (OMG U HAVE TWO MOLTRES HAO). I also like keeping in-game trades because I just think they're cool and they also usually have the right natures and they have fancy OTs.

For games pre-black and white I just keep everything but shiny chain mons when I was testing stuff (not the shinys of course). This is because I don't keep track of what TMs I use so I keep them around in case I need to give a Pokemon a TM move by breeding it over to them with one of my Pokemon that randomly have a TM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)