Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, anyone who actually watched Pokemon Sunday would know that no such thing was revealed during it--it ended with them just revealing the titles. And those that didn't need look no farther than sites like Serebii for confirmation of that. They're fake.

Yeah gabu i was imagining a fire cat. evolved into a lion? haven't seen that besides arcanine. Deer I can see, but dolphin is just bull.

"strange, isn't it?"
"strange, isn't it?"

The grass starter is always reptilian in nature: Dinosaur, Dinosaur again, geckolizard thang, and turtle.

The fire starter... varied.... but probably on fire by the end.

water starter is always something aquatic: Turtle, Aligator, That... mud thingy, penguin.

Gamefreak seems fairly good at following paterns. "strange, isn't it?"

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah...that snake starter's not doing it for me. I like my starters to have limbs so that they can actually get movepools. Quadrupeds have a tendency to get horrible movepools and serpents...even worse. Same with fish. Being able to stand and punch the hell out of stuff makes a big difference in this game. Let's just hope it evolves into something cool.

Oh, and give me a motherfucking Ice Dragon already. If Gamefreak can do that much for me, I'll buy their game no matter what the finished product looks like.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah...that snake starter's not doing it for me. I like my starters to have limbs so that they can actually get movepools. Quadrupeds have a tendency to get horrible movepools and serpents...even worse. Same with fish. Being able to stand and punch the hell out of stuff makes a big difference in this game. Let's just hope it evolves into something cool.

Oh, and give me a motherfucking Ice Dragon already. If Gamefreak can do that much for me, I'll buy their game no matter what the finished product looks like.
First off, why worry too much? As long as they don't do the same shit to it as Flareon (ie. make it all physical with no flare blitz), you know it's at least going to get Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat. It won't be too bad. Besides, in terms of fire types, I think Heatran and Infernape are more than satisfactory enough to fill most niche/roles one would require.

Also, what's the point of Ice/Dragon? I don't see any point at all. Even just Pure Dragon is better.

Ice is a horrible defensive type, only making the resulting pokemon WEAKER than pure dragon (not to mention SR weak)-- sure you get rid of Ice weak, but weaknesses to Fighting, Rock and Steel absolutely suck, especially the Steel Weakness on a dragon type (making even more Scizor/Jirachi's bitch). Furthermore, Ice does little to nothing to enhance a dragon's attacking abilities. Draco Meteor/Outrage are such awesome STAB attacks, Ice's super effective hits are completely unnecessary offensively. What Dragon needs in an offensive partner is coverage, and seeing as Ice is also resisted by Steel, there's no real point in dragons carrying Ice attacks.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Considering this topic is the only place I see those being discussed, I'm going to go with assuming it's fake and ask you guys to switch discussion to something that's real please.

FAs long as they don't do the same shit to it as Flareon (ie. make it all physical with no flare blitz)
Minor nitpick, but there really isn't a lot of physical moves Flareon can possibly "learn". To elaborate, in terms of its STAB, Flare Blitz is pretty much the only "good" physical Fire move it appears it could learn, yet if it did, with its terrible HP, it'd probably end up 2HKOing itself (Unless you wanted to run the ridiculous Flare Blitz-Wish-Protect-Coverage set I played around with in my head at one point).

And even THEN, because of its body structure, I always assumed GF had a bias giving good physical moves to its body "family". One may argue how Entei of all things gets Stone Edge, but it just appears that, given Flareon's body, it can't learn much outside of technique that deals with its breath (Fire Blast), or via ramming itself into something (Like, say Return or Headbutt).

Really, Flareon's boned from the start with how little it could learn in terms of physical moves. That's what I see, at least.

Medicham needs an evolution. He's just too cool not to have one. A fighting/dark type pokemon would be cool too.

At the very least, I hope new things will be added. In gen four, the the only new concept really added (er... changed) was the physical/special split. U-Turn was a cool concept too, but everything else was largely redundant.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Keeping in mind that "the moves that exist" are also controlled by GF. If they want, they can make HEAD SMASH and give it to some pokes that fit it wonderfully (haza, Aggron) and not give it some pokes it would fit wonderfully (sorry Aero, maybe next game). They can randomly give out egg moves (like Bullet Punch to Scizor?). "Hey, why don't we give Outrage 30 more base points of power this gen?"

It wouldn't be so hard to give all the fangs 30-40 more points of base power would it? It wouldn't kill them to give Aerial Ace 20-30 more points either, no?

However, what I was trying to get at is that at least for fire types, as long as they have a fair Sp.ATK score, they're movepool is already assured at least a certain degree of competence (though it would have been nice if GF decided to give them all Energy Ball/Grass Knot instead of Solar Beam, lol).

I couldn't of been the only one whose thought of having pokemon fusions in the 5th gen here. People have came up with some amazing concepts and artwork before:

Fusions could be one of the next "big" gen additions, like how double battles were in R/S/E.

fusion just doesn't seem like pokemon, although i admit that some of the stuff you could come up with is badass. you'd have to limit it to pokemon within a breeding group, imo.

i thought that spiky ear pichu was the first of a new thing where perhaps you could breed certain physical characteristics onto your pokemon

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It won't be too bad. Besides, in terms of fire types, I think Heatran and Infernape are more than satisfactory enough to fill most niche/roles one would require.
Um yeah, Heatran and Infernape are definitely flaming serpents. How is this crap related to a fire snake being a stupid idea?

Also, what's the point of Ice/Dragon?
It's cool? We didn't need so many Dragon/Flying types or a Dragon/Psychic type at all, but we got it anyway. They can definitely make something badass out of a Dragon/Ice type.

This is all flavor discussion on my part, don't lose your head over all this metagame mumbo jumbo. That's what we have every other thread in Smogon for.

Snakes have a bad movepool?

Seviper and Arbok would like a word with you.

One thing I really hope they change are HMs. Either allow any Pokemon that can learn it be able to use it in the overworld without wasting a move slot OR simply give us items to surf, rock smash, rock climb, etc.

Guys those are fake. If any of you were around pre-DP, you would know how to spot a fake by now lol.
Thank Arceus it's fake (despite being a more clever one than others unless someone saw the episode), because if it was real, this would automatically become the worst generation ever made. I knew it couldn't be right, since two of them don't even have legs.

A starter needs to be offensive enough for a playthrough, must have a wide movepool with many different types in it, and must be appealing to more people and something a player would be able to imagine adventuring with. None of that can happen with a starter without legs.

lanturn because its a donphin, charmander because its based on a lizard (and kind resemble a charmander with no legs and arms) and shaymin for obvious reasons.
Lanturn is a angler fish, not a dolphin. Please don't breed.

I noticed that for three out of the four generations, the fire starter has been the fastest (iirc). While that's pretty much fine with me, it would be nice to maybe see GameFreak switch it up a bit. How about the fire type being the more defensive and bulky? Maybe the water type could be the fastest for a change? However, I dunno what to do with the grass type since it always seems to be left in between.

Medicham needs an evolution. He's just too cool not to have one. A fighting/dark type pokemon would be cool too.

At the very least, I hope new things will be added. In gen four, the the only new concept really added (er... changed) was the physical/special split. U-Turn was a cool concept too, but everything else was largely redundant.
I really don't know what qualifies as "new things" with you, but gen4 pretty much flipped the competitive scene on its head.
The "only" physical/special split was a HUGE change.
Then if you go into specific moves, how could you forget Stealth Rock?
Or the other billion new useful moves [in particular making priority moves usable] and jazz?

The physical/special split was the best thing to ever happen to Pokemon and ultimately made competitive battling playable. Before that, the only thing that mattered was if a Pokemon's type matched its attack stat, and things like elemental punches being special didn't even make sense.

I don't see what they could do to battling to improve it now.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
How about the fire type being the more defensive and bulky?
Only if you really want GF to make another Fire/Steel.

And even then, it'd probably be by Heatran (with has higher BST, excellent ability and a wonderful stat distribution while the starter would be restricted to Blaze and ~530 BST).

How about the fire type being the more defensive and bulky? Maybe the water type could be the fastest for a change? However, I dunno what to do with the grass type since it always seems to be left in between.
Lets see:

Fast water type: Starmie, Floatzel
Defensive Fire type: Torkoal

While Staryu is OK, Torkoal hasn't worked out. Fire is not the best defensive typing. The main problem is EQ and Surf being the most broken attacks in the game (lol). SR also tears apart fire pokes (i.e. 3 of the 2 fire Pokes who aren't weak to SR are OU). Losing 25 % of your HP by switching in is no fun, especially on a Pokemon trying not to lose it.

A fast water isn't the worst idea, though. But remember: Agility is Empoleon's egg move. It might be outclassed as well against Swift Swimmers.

The main problem is that it's tradition for the starters to have Torrent, Blaze, and Overgrow.

lol. Physical Fire priority + Endure + Pinch Berry + Blaze = OU Blaziken
Blazikan's attack scores heavily outdo Infernape. Speed is the only letdown. Laughs at Scizor.

The physical/special split was the best thing to ever happen to Pokemon and ultimately made competitive battling playable. Before that, the only thing that mattered was if a Pokemon's type matched its attack stat, and things like elemental punches being special didn't even make sense.
I always had trouble before the physical special split. And thousands of fans complained about Ice Punch being "Special" while Hyper Beam was "Physical". Thousands of excellent Pokemon were rendered useless because there "physical moves" weren't "physical".

Something new could be 3 way Poke battles. They have arcade games in Japan where you send out 3 Pokemon at a time (see Serebii). The 3 Pokemon share 1 Health bar in Japan, though.....which is kind of....."tricky"......

gezz, fine, whatever. lanturn is not a donphin, big deal. my point is that those fake starters were ripoffs to a extend, but that aside i have other things to say:the physical/special split was THE best thing it happened to the metagame IMO, sure some moves like sacred fire dont fit its animation or name (it look special...) but the pokemons that learn make good use of it, IMO the worst thing that happened was rotom forms for obvious reasons (the normal rotom is fine but the forms are broken, either way this is not the place to talk about the metagame)

I think that when the games finally come out in English, the names will be changed slightly. Pokemon White(Howaito) will be Pokemon Abori-Howaito(Ivory White) or Pokemon Eba-Howaito(EverWhite).

Off of the top of my head, however, I do not know any other color that has the "burakku(black)" base to it, so I can't think of something that black will be called. Unless it will be "burakkuauto(black out)", but I doubt that.

gezz, fine, whatever. lanturn is not a donphin, big deal. my point is that those fake starters were ripoffs to a extend
I do not want to see a dolphin.Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, all had dolphins, and they all looked to much like normal dolphins to seem creative. Dolphins are just really hard to shape into monsters. And according to that silhouette, it almost looks identical to a regular dolphin. (I do realize that silhouette is fake, I'm just saying Game Freak shouldn't try it)

Who thinks Zoroark will be exclusive to one version?

Chou Toshio

Over9000

I don't see what they could do to battling to improve it now.
Physical Shadowball and Special Crunch, lol . . .

Dark and Ghost were so screwed up in that regard . . . I'm not even sure what possessed them to make Dark Special in the first place when its moves were Crunch, Bite, Faint Attack, Pursuit, Beat Up . . . I mean really . . . They should have just made Ghost a Special type in GS and made Dark Physical.

no digimon, yogioh, or massive HOLY FUCK WTF IS THAT? A ROBOT?!?!?! pokemon pl0xxxx

while i do like palkia and the dragon trio's looks, i can't help myself but to feel that it looks like the mega (i think that's the last stage) stage of digimons. can't really describe it but always loved the pokemon-ish looks XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)