Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some "new type" suggestions really amuse me, I can live with light even though its so cliche in general and unessesary on pokemon (and adding that in Japan it would have to be called "good type", which sounds, to say the least, bad and unoriginal), but seriously, sound? air? thats just silly. The former is way, way too specific and it just sounds bad (lol) and the later is redundance of flying (don't pull the bullshit of flying = bird, air = dominance over the "element", its just a stupid technicism, no game has 2 types that are virtually the same concept)

Space or Cosmic don't bother me that much, they don't sound stupid but I don't see the necessity of new types, what I see is the necessity of balancing of two specific sons-of-a-bitch-pokemons that even though they are not Uber have pretty much centralized the metagame on 2 types: Salamence and Latias, one can be just booted to Uber, the other one GF could just lower the base speed and increase another useless stat to make the mixed variant (AND the acursed DM) less viable. I don't include scizor because he is Gyara's bitch and that is a burden enough.

I'm getting sidetracked (even though the whole thread has gone full with new type wild-theories) but my point is that probably we won't see a new type, the best reason to say this is that Zoroark is just Dark-typed, if they wanted to introduce any type, they would have introduced it with the very first pokemon they shown.

That's hardly evidence... It happened once, to one line of pokemon. Surely, if anything, it's evidence it won't happen again since 2/3 times, it hasn't?
You have to keep in mind that that was also the only time we saw new types introduced after the first gen. Every pokemon after that was created with the full type chart in mind to begin with.

However, if the fifth gen were to see a new type introduced, it is entirely possible that an older mono-type pokemon could receive it as a secondary.

I highly doubt that there will be a new type. There is just no need for it. Technically, Psychic is the opposite of dark (Cress/Darkrai), and even then, they aren't going to make a type just because they can.

Dragon doesn't need a new type to fix it either. Psychic completely destroyed everything! Because nothing hit it for SE, and it hit everything else for neutral, while Psychic types also learned things like Blizzard and Thunder. Dragons don't have anything besides hitting everything for neutral. Just because Salamence is very popular doesn't mean anything. It is easily OHKOd by even delibird (I have the calculations a page or 2 before this one), Latios is killed by Sucker Punch, even from Shiftry, Palkia/Dialga are in ubers and are banned from standard play....None of them are even that bulky bar Latias (And Dialga, but he is usually 2HKOd by the ever common Close Combat and EQ).

BTW, there is no such thing as the moon creating it's own light. "Moonlight" is light from the sun reflecting of the moon.

I think poison is a pretty good type, actually. It's really good defensively. But then again.....hitting water...

They are probably going to keep coverage the same so not to confuse.

You have to keep in mind that that was also the only time we saw new types introduced after the first gen.
Which is exactly my point; they haven't done it since then, so why do it now, why not before?

Also, people claim new types will balance things, but in reality it would just give a whole new threat that needs to be dealt with... Unless it like hits everything NVE or some crazy ass gimmick

This is the 4th or 5th time this has come up.....

Not everyone follows the same tier that we do. In Japan, the tiers are completely different (remember when Heracross was banned in some Japanese tournament?). Just because it would be nice to see Mence defeated doesn't mean anything. I can garuntee that in Japan, Mence is lower in the tier system. Anything with an Ice attack can KO it. And I say Mence because that's the only reason over half the people here want a new type.

I don't think Rein meant that there was an actual concrete list but that the preception of certain Pokemon is much different in Japan than it is here.

Edit: Apparently, this is Japan's ban list:

Dragonite
Mewtwo
Mew
Tyranitar
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Latias
Latios
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys (all forms)
Dialga
Palkia
Heatran
Regigigas
Giratina
Cresselia
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Dragonite and Tyranitar are presumably on there because the Japanese play at Lv. 50 but you can get a Lv. 50 Dragonite from some event and I think HGSS has Lv. 50 auto leveling over wireless.

From what I can tell, the Japanese tiers are just Uber and everything else. Which to them, is everything you can't get under level 50. So Dragonite and Tyrannitar are both "Banned" from standard play. I also read that it's pretty much all offensive, with almost no stall what so ever.

I just googled it, but it wasn't really that informative...

First, some people thought up of the Light type and that was ...ok ok...?
and then all these people started coming up with all these ridiculous types like Sound, Air, Plastic, and some other bs. The only thing that sounds fine to me is Time but that would ruin Dialga in a way. Changing his Steel typing is a no-no for me.

Why does Light necessarily by its existence HAVE to be a counterpart to balance out Dark? Can't it be a new type to balance out other types without having to be a counterpart? Can't it represent electromagnetism without being the opposite of Dark?

Why does Light necessarily by its existence HAVE to be a counterpart to balance out Dark? Can't it be a new type to balance out other types without having to be a counterpart? Can't it represent electromagnetism without being the opposite of Dark?
Because the type list isn't unbalanced. It's not the type, it's the Pokemon in the type. i.e. Poison, as I said, is a defensive type. Most offensive Poison types are in NU except a few (Gengar and Roseraid). Dragon isn't that uber because it hits nothing w/ SE, and is resisted by the most common defensive type in the game. The dragon Pokemon we have are just all uber (even Altaria is good.....A spitting image of Salamence but just outclassed by it).

You notice we haven't gotten any NU dragons?

BTW, Gyarados is a flying type because if he was Dragon, then Dragonite wouldn't be mystical and mysterious. They eventually got over that and realized they can't have just one evolutionary line in an entire type, and released Kingdra.

There are atleast 5 good Pokemon in every type. I'm still waiting for some bad fully evolved Dragons so I can say there are atleast 5 bad Pokemon in each type. Only 5 more to go.

Because the type list isn't unbalanced. It's not the type, it's the Pokemon in the type. i.e. Poison, as I said, is a defensive type. Most offensive Poison types are in NU except a few (Gengar and Roseraid). Dragon isn't that uber because it hits nothing w/ SE, and is resisted by the most common defensive type in the game. The dragon Pokemon we have are just all uber (even Altaria is good.....A spitting image of Salamence but just outclassed by it).

You notice we haven't gotten any NU dragons?

BTW, Gyarados is a flying type because if he was Dragon, then Dragonite wouldn't be mystical and mysterious. They eventually got over that and realized they can't have just one evolutionary line in an entire type, and released Kingdra.
Which is why a guy can put three steel types on a team, and not suffer any ill effects. It's not because the type chart is unbalanced; it's because the types need to stop sucking.

here are atleast 5 good Pokemon in every type. I'm still waiting for some bad fully evolved Dragons so I can say there are atleast 5 bad Pokemon in each type. Only 5 more to go.
Exactly. Altaria is the weakest Dragon we have, and it is still a pretty good Pokemon. Dragons also all learn and use Fire attacks (cept, maybe Latias who uses Surf and Palkia for the same reason) which stops the only type that resists there STAB. The only Pokemon who isn't nailed by Fire Blast and Outrage is double weak to the most common physical attack in the game (EQ is that good, but Heatran is still usable....Just not the best Dragon counter because of that and weakness to Lati@s Surf)

Which is why a guy can put three steel types on a team, and not suffer any ill effects. It's not because the type chart is unbalanced; it's because the types need to stop sucking.
The types aren't that bad. Most of the types just need better Pokemon/Attacks (Electric has more forms of Pikachu than Rotom does appliances, and Thunder Fang is the best it can do physically, same w/ Fire). Ironically enough, steel is good because it has a very variant array of Pokemon (many offensive and defensive Pokemon: Lucario, Magnezone, Heatran, Skarmory, Bronzong)

@Ultimario and everybody else-No,they showed nothing but crap on Pokemon Sunday.I thought they said that they would show some battle footage,but nope.I would just stick to Corocoro if i were you,Pokemon Sunday doesn't reveal crap and even when they do it's the exact same info that Corocoro gives us.

Because the type list isn't unbalanced..
Keep telling yourself that.
As I said before, how is it fair that Poison gets to be super effective against one type and resist like four [two of which are uncommon anyway] when steel gets to be super effective against two and resist 11?

Sorry but it's about as balanced as Marvel VS Capcom 2.

Oh yes and Pokemon Sunday was just crossdressing, Uber battling and showing a random episode.
You know, the usual.

i was really expecting for then to show something interesting but instead they show a bunch of bullshit. its a lot more fun to do some random school job rather then watching that crap.

Yes, but how many steels have access to Pain Split, Giga Drain, Confuse Ray, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore and resist Fighting attacks like Focus Punch and Close Combat? Also Poison types are only weak to Psychic and Ground. Most Poison types have a secondary type that makes them neutral to ground or an ability that makes them immune to it as well as Psychic becoming completely forgotten and even the dreaded Mewtwo gives up it's STAB for something w/ better coverage. Salamence doesn't get Extrasensory to hit Weezing. Fire Blast is also on everything to hit Zong and Skarm. Nothing gets or uses Psychic attacks anymore.

Hey it was still really funny to watch in a stream with a bunch of other Pokemanchildren... I'll tune in next week as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)