Pokemon Contest Discussion

Nice.

And Unown, I wouldn't buy the 'National Pokedex' guide. It lists Brave Bird as special. After I read that I refused to trust it.
Hmm...I'm looking at page 310 of the my copy of the Ultimate National Pokedex and it says Brave Bird is physical. The ISBN# on my copy is 978-1-59812-019-6

I actually find the Pokedex to be very useful for team planning and as a reference. The players guide didn't look that useful though so I didn't get it.

Pamtre, Watmel, Spelon, Belue, Durin.

I aced all the contests in Emerald, but the new ones are hard as hell D:
Actually, the best berries (which are still absurdly hard to get) are the lansat and starf berries. They give almost max in cool, cute, and tough, and they also give you a little in beauty and smart. They would go really well with ganlon berries, which give huge amounts of beauty and smart.

If you're only going for one or two stats, try for the enigma berries and on; they give max in one stat and a little in the one to the right.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
You made me smile.

I got Master Rank with an Entei I brought over, full Beauty and all beauty moves. (Yay fire.)
I'm currently working on Tough with Regirock, I got some easy rock moves on it that are all tough, and I have almost max Tough, just a few more berries...

EDIT: Anyone know any good Cute pokes?
Barboach, with its Water Gun and Mud Slap and all that, is a decent Cute Pokemon. Blissey is, too.

Liechi, Ganlon, Salac, Petaya, and Apicot are all great berries, as are Enigma Berries for Spicy.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
My Darkrai destroyed the Master Rank cool contest

I used Liechi Berries, then a Leppa berry, then a Petaya Berry and finally the Lv.60 Poffin some random guy gave you which he won't give anymore. Got me max Cool/Cute (lol), and some in the rest.

I used Swords Dance and Dark Pulse. Swords Dance to get low points and almost ensure that I'd go first on the next turn, and then use Dark Pulse to take advantage of that.

Moveset:
@ Red Scarf
Hasty nature
- Swords Dance
- Dark Pulse
- Dark Void
- Focus Punch

Yes, this is actually my competitive Darkrai. I just replaced Thunder with Swords Dance. Focus Punch actually did help me in the Contest when after using Swords Dance and I wasn't first, although Taunt would have probably been better since I relied on luck on the FP part.

Actually, I didn't use Red Scarf. I accidentally kept Soothe Bell on him lol.
Yes, I knew a +Atk nature would be better but hey, this is the one I have and I challenged myself to try and win this contest without a + nature

Barboach, with its Water Gun and Mud Slap and all that, is a decent Cute Pokemon. Blissey is, too.

Liechi, Ganlon, Salac, Petaya, and Apicot are all great berries, as are Enigma Berries for Spicy.
I never released it, but I have a Lansat berry from somewhere.

Wheee.

Thanks, BTW.

Well here's something interesting that I found. a List of how to match Contest themes:
A. The Visual
Diamond and Pearl, the Visual portion of the Contests have been redone so that you know have to dress up your Pokémon according to the theme. Here is a List of the Themes and the Appropriate Items to use.

1. Colorful
• Yellow Fluff
• Pink Fluff
• Blue Scale
• Green Scale
• Red Flower
• Orange Flower
• All Ballons
• Flag

2. Sharpness
• Narrow Scale
• Big Scale
• Blue Scale
• Purple Scale
• Narrow Leaf
• White Beard
• Black Beard
• Cape
• Colored Parasol
• Old Umbrella
• Professor Hat
• Shed Claw
• Shed Horn
• Standing Mike
• Surfboard
• Lace Head dress
• Blue Feather
• Red Feather
• White Feather
• Yellow Feather
• Thin Mushroom
• Spring

3. Nature
• White Fluff
• Brown Fluff
• Snaggy Pebble
• Shed Claw
• Thick Mushroom
• Pretty Dewdrop
• All Crystals

4. Created
• Black Moustache
• White Moustache
• Spring
• Glitter Powder
• Googly Specs
• Black Specs
• Confetti

5. Shapely
• Award Podium
• Big Tree/ Leaf
• Black/ Mine/ Snaggy/ Round Pebble
• Mirror Ball
• Black/Googly/ Gorgeous Specs
• Gold Pedestal
• Heroic Headband
• Lace Headdress
• Cape
• Carpet
• Colored Parasol
• Old Umbrella
• Flower/Glass/ Cube Stage
• Flag
• Fluffy Bed
• Glitter/ Jagged Boulder
• Pink /Blue /Orange /Yellow /White Flower
• Peculiar Spoon
• Photo board
• Professor Hat
• Retro Pipe
• Sea shell
• Shed Claw/ Horn
• Silk Veil
• Spot light
• Spring
• Standing Mike
• Stump Surfboard
• Sweet Candy
• Thick Mushroom
• Top Hat
• Wealthy Coin
• Turtwig/Chimchar/Piplup Mask

6. Intangible
• Glitter Powder
• Shimmering Fire
• Puffy Smoke
• Humming Note
• Confetti
• Spotlight
• Flag

7. Relaxation
• Brown Fluff
• Black Fluff
• Jagged Boulder
• Black Pebble
• Blue Scale
• Thin Scale
• Black Beard

8. Brightness
• Yellow Fluff
• White Fluff
• Glitter Boulder
• Big Scale
• Yellow Feather
• White Beard
• Shed Horn

9. Solid
• Jagged Boulder
• Mini Pebble
• Thin Scale
• Shed Horn
• Peculiar Spoon
• Black Specs
• Sweet Candy

10. Flexibility
• Orange Fluff
• Black Moustache
• Small Leaf
• Pretty Dewdrop
• Comet
• Poison Extract
• Confetti

11. Gaudy
• Round Pebble
• Mini Pebble
• Green Scale
• Purple Scale
• Red Feather
• Glitter Powder
• Spotlight

12. Festive
• Glitter Powder
• Pretty Dewdrop
• Snow Crystal
• Mystic Fire
• Glitter Powder
• Gorgeous Specs
• Colored Parasol

It seems to work well. It's from Nsider apperently. Thank You Emospace.
hey thanks that really helped me. I finally got 8 hearts lol.

Oh and is there a way to tell if you got max stat in like cute/beauty/tough etc?

it should be on your pokemon's display when you look at a summary. It is in the form of a pentagon. If it's maxed to a specific point, it is a maxed stat. The only way I tell is that I have a Milotic, meaning the beauty is maxed. It beauty and cute contests. I have trouble with Master Cute though.

Yeah but someone told me that's not the exact value...

My Palkia has toughness stat slightly above the line, while my Milotic has its beauty touching the line.

I'm a little annoyed they've changed all the moves for contests. I brought across my contest teams from Emerald, expecting to breeze through the rounds. Hyper Beam, Explosion and Self Destruct have been totally nerfed (arguably these were broken anyway). Some of the combos I have (Peck/Drill Peck, Ice/Fire/Thunder Punch) don't give their bonuses. Most of the staple moves from RSE have been reduced in power and/or have different effects.

Guess I'll have to train some new guys from scratch!
Me too! I hate it

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
it should be on your pokemon's display when you look at a summary. It is in the form of a pentagon. If it's maxed to a specific point, it is a maxed stat. The only way I tell is that I have a Milotic, meaning the beauty is maxed. It beauty and cute contests. I have trouble with Master Cute though.
Just because you have a Milotic doesn't mean that its Beauty is maxed. Each category can get up to 255 points, and each level on the Poffin is equal to 1 point. Feebas only needs 170 points to evolve, and you get the scarves if you reach 200. For mixed Poffins, the level is that of the highest flavor. For example, a Spicy-Dry Poffin with a level of 20 has a Spicy value of 20, but the Dry value can be anywhere from 1 to 20.

I quit Super Contests after my Golem that got master in both Cute and Tough in Ruby couldn't even beat normal. But maybe that's cause I stink at dancing.

Visual:
This is where all that hard work making Poffins pays off. Make sure you match the theme To get more fashion items, visit Amity square with a 'cute' pokemon and run around a lot or get a massage in Hearthome by some girl, you may find an item hidden in that TTar armor.

Dancing:
Possibly the most annoying thing ever. Yet it's very easy, once your get the hang of it. Tap your foot to the rhythm. When your foot hit the floor and the note is on a line, press the button. If it's on a space, your foot should be in the air. The buttons XYAB can be substituted for the touch pad buttons. (Jump, Left, Right, Front, respectively.) When it's your turn, try to do something that would be hard for you. Trip 'em out.

Acting:
This is tense. Before it starts, the MC will tell you who's in first. If your in first, congrats, you don't have to stress. If it's not your name, be careful. Pull off moves that compliment each other, such as agility/quick attack. They're not as fulfilling as move combos, but they'll have to do. At the end, if your name is at the bottom right when he says 'it's time to finish up', good job, you beat everyone else in that portion. If not, cross your fingers.

~Pirkid

Just wondering seeing as you guys are experts or something.

Anyone get into the Ribbon Society =D

Btw, can't remember, how do you get in?

You have 10+ ribbons on one pokemon. My roserade had 18 so I made it in just fine.
I'm absolutely sure that Serebii was wrong on that. I gained membership into the Ribbon Syndicate with a Salamence that had only 8 ribbons. They were:

Effort Ribbon (Finishing EV Training)
Sinnoh Champ Ribbon (Enter Hall of Fame)
Beauty Ribbon (Super Contest Normal Rank Winner)
Smart Ribbon (Super Contest Normal Rank Winner)
Ability Ribbon (Defeat Battle Tower Tycoon)
Alert Ribbon (Ribbon lady in Sunyshore City)
Shock Ribbon (Ribbon lady in Sunyshore City)
Footprint Ribbon (High Friendship)

No Master Rank contests, ether.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
What's in the ribbon society?

I need to know if it's worth getting into.
Bleh. You get ribbons. They cost a lot though. A Gorgeous Royal Ribbon costs 999999

And you get a free awesome massage service. That's it

I got in the ribbon club with my tentacruel that I pal parked over It had all of the ribbons from the r/s/e contests, something like 25 of them. Not much in there other than being able to buy 3 more ribbons and a daily massage that can raise happiness (does that mean it has a happy ending?) The massage can be useful for evolving happiness based evolutions or maxing happiness for return.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)