Pokemon Fire Red Omega In-Game Discussion/Tiering

Beaten the Champion already. HOF: 64 Salamence / 60 Starmie / 60 Alakazam / 59 Houndoom / 61 Electabuzz / 60 Tyranitar.

VS. Steelix [Lead] / Armaldo / Machamp / Donphan / Hitmontop / Poliwrath

Like the original, Bruno is the easiest out of the E4s. Steelix is 2HKO'd by Electabuzz's Fire Punch while failing to OHKO back with EQ (or maybe it did and I lucked out with a low damage roll, whatever the case is, Electabuzz survived with 12 HP and hit back for the KO.

Armaldo is somewhat annoying as it doesn't really have much weaknesses to strike with other than Water (and the rare Steel, which sucks). Salamence however performed admirably against Armaldo, though I think hax was on my side (dodged 3 Rock Blasts lol)

Machamp is OHKO'd by Salamence's Fly. I'm not sure if it's because Machamp just flat out fails, or Salamence is just too overpowered. Whatever the case, I definitely appreciate replacing Dodrio with Salamence now: this guy is just plain amazing.

Donphan is OHKO'd by a Mysticwater-boosted Surf from Starmie that is 7 levels lower. :V Starmie lands 2HKOs on Poliwrath and Hitmontop with Psychic, but their AI is so fucking terrible that when they could /attack/ they used stuff like Agility and Mind Reader ._.

VS. Shedinja / Sableye / Crobat / Gengar / Misdreavus / Hypno

Shedinja may be crazy with Focus Band, 12 immunities, and a shot at pissing you off with what could be infinite lives, but there is one Pokemon in the entire game whose presence instantly gives the "fuck off" sign to Shedinja: Tyranitar. And that was basically what happened.

Theoretically, I could just X Special or something on a Tyranitar lead and murder everything with Rock Slide/Crunch, but that's not really very nice. Sableye is actually not a joke here: it's surprisingly bulky with Recover and you can take some time to kill it. Shouldn't be a massive problem though.

Crobat is OHKO'd by Electabuzz Volt Tackle. And outran too. ggwp

Don't really remember how everything else went down, except that Misdreavus is an annoying ass with Perish Song.

VS. Salamence / Aerodactyl / Gyarados / Charizard / Dragonite 2x

This lineup is the same as his GSC lineup, lol, only difference is that he replaced a Dragonite with Salamence. Salamence was actually pretty annoying because for some reason Starmie and Electabuzz couldn't OHKO with Ice Beam / Ice Punch, which was pretty much some sort of "WTF" moment. A couple of Rare Candies dumped onto Starmie fixed it, somewhat.

Aerodactyl is a joke due to CB: it's very easy to get it to lock itself into a move that you resist (i.e. Aerial Ace on Electabuzz). From there, you can just stall for time as you heal up your party.

Gyarados and Charizard can be both dealt with by using the appropriate attack, in this case Volt Tackle for Gyarados and Rock Slide for Charizard. Not much of an issue.

The twin Dragonites aren't exactly too big of a problem because Starmie can take them on one-on-one if needed, with Electabuzz as backup.

VS. Heracross / Jynx / Venusaur / Metagross / Ampharos / Houndoom

The rival differs from his previous matchups in the game: he has ditched his Crobat and Alakazam for a Heracross and a Metagross. Unfortunately, Heracross is a lead, meaning you can do something like dump Salamence in front and go for the OHKO with Fly.

Jynx is the same, fucked over by Houndoom, etc. There's actually a catch though: Jynx has Calm Mind now, and if Houndoom isn't strong enough Jynx can actually 2HKO back with Ice Beam and not get 2HKO'd by Flamethrower / Crunch. Lovely Kiss can also buy free turns for Jynx to Calm Mind in your face.

Metagross should be OHKO'd if you put Charcoal on Houndoom and Flamethrower him. Unfortunately, I forgot to change his held item from BlackGlasses to Charcoal -.-" Metagross hence survives the Flamethrower and KOs back with EQ. Starmie finishes with Surf.

Ampharos is the biggest threat on the Champion's team imo, next to Jynx. Ampharos has Tail Glow which instantly doubles his special attack, turning Thunderbolt into a lethal move of destruction. In fact, I only managed to win because Tyranitar tanked +2 Thunderbolt... at 1 HP. :X

Venusaur is OHKO'd by Salamence Fly, again. Houndoom should be OHKO'd by Brick Break, but just for good measure I let Houndoom take a few turns of damage from Sandstorm while healing up my party, then killing off Houndoom with Brick Break.

Final team:
64 Salamence: Fly / Dragonbreath / Brick Break / Crunch
61 Electabuzz: Ice Punch / Volt Tackle / Fire Punch / Psychic
60 Starmie: Ice Beam / Surf / Psychic / Recover
60 Alakazam: Fire Punch / Psychic / ThunderPunch / Calm Mind
60 Tyranitar: Rock Slide / Brick Break / Crunch / Earthquake
59 Houndoom: Strength / Rock Smash / Flamethrower / Crunch

Overall thoughts on the Pokemon used:

Shelgon [KOMONDO] - High Tier

Salamence comes from an in-game trade where you trade a Camerupt for a Shelgon at Cinnabar Island. There're actually two ways you can do this: either catch Numel early and evolve it, then trade it for Shelgon and use it, or another method which I did: catch Camerupt directly at Mt. Ember (the path that leads to Ruby is available on your first visit to Mt. Ember, and L55 Camerupts are available there), trade for Shelgon, Rare Candy, dump HM02 on it for instantaneous win. You can also teach the TM35 it comes with. Buyable TM31s at Celadon round off Salamence's coverage with Brick Break having good coverage with Fly and Dragonbreath.

Salamence's best asset is providing brute power in terms of STAB Fly. Amazingly strong, it's capable of securing quite the fair bit of KOs, and probably would've secured more if I could locate a Sharp Beak. Salamence is a great latecomer addition to any team, and I really recommend using it.

Elekid - Top Tier

No question. Elekid's only mediocre period is at Brock: it's definitely capable of contributing almost everywhere else, through the sheer strength of STAB Thunderbolt, soaking hits with Volt Absorb, or using its ridiculous coverage to kill things. Even with Static, this guy is a beast. Volt Tackle, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Cross Chop and Psychic are all great options for Electabuzz, and the best thing is that it learns all of them by level. Electabuzz requires almost no other investment other than EXP to be effective, and using Electabuzz also gives you arguably the easiest starter to deal with (Smoochum is checkmated by Houndoom for most parts and if not you have Lunatone/Solrock to backup, while Magby has ThunderPunch/Sunny Day for water types and Elekid is likely a nightmare to face with that coverage).

Staryu - High Tier

It's simply, that earlygame Pokemon that does stuff and is... there. It's as available as say Elekid, and is of some use to Brock's battle: you can also give it Thunderbolt by Misty. Starmie gets all the nice moves when it needs them, and can contribute fairly well to the team.

Abra - High Tier

Abra is probably one of the more controversial guys for High Tier: it sucks even for a while after evolution because you no longer learn Confusion immediately, so you still have to grind a bit more for Psybeam. Once Kadabra gets Psybeam though, its capable of holding its own very effectively, and evolution grants him access to Fire Punch and ThunderPunch for extra coverage. Golden rule of Abra is to watch out for physicals, but if you can play it right, Alakazam is a very effective asset of any team.

I don't really have comments on Tyranitar, tbh, other than that it contributes by having Sand Stream. It's the best way to beat Shedinja if you're seriously lazy, but eh whatever. It might be one of the best Pokemon against Agatha though, although I seriously got lazy and just grabbed this for my team. (It's catchable as a L50+ Larvitar/Pupitar in Sevault Canyon, which is also open pre-E4.)

Doduo - High Tier

This is probably noteworthy given that I dumped Dodrio after acquiring Salamence, but Dodrio is arguably one of the best earlygame birds I've ever used, outside of DPP Starly. Doduo comes slightly underlevelled but between STAB Peck, 85 base Attack and Viridian Forest, Doduo can quickly make up for the level difference and is one of the more reliable killers of bugs early on. Definitely a worthwhile grab if you didn't pick Magby. Dodrio's utility with Tri Attack and Fly go a long way midgame, and in a game where you have a multitude of options with special attackers, physical attackers are surprisingly few and far in, and Dodrio is an excellent choice for one.

Houndour - High Tier

Houndour is imho a required addition to anyone who uses Elekid, as he wins Jynx very reliably. Lategame though, Houndoom loses steam rather rapidly and it's annoying to have to use Ember all the way to Flamethrower at 51. If anything though, Houndoom made a good HM slave, because it doesn't really need anything else other than its STABs.

I'm about an hour into my playthrough. Doing it Nuzlocke esque (I can catch whatever I want, still one per route, and fainting equals dying. Just wanted to be able to have my pick of the new wild Pokemon)

After Brock I'm sitting with Magby, Grovyle, and whatever this egg is that I'm holding. Mudkip, Torchic, and Shroomish all sacrificed themselves for victory.

And quick question... I can't seem to save. Anyone else had this problem?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Thesynchrohero: Use visual boy advance
Reaver12: I also can't save, just put your computer to sleep rather than shut it down and have it minimized rather than closing it and it should be fine.

And quick question... I can't seem to save. Anyone else had this problem?
You're screwed. FireRed has some issues with VBA, so you need to set your save type to Flash 128K first before beginning your game. Only thing you can do now is to reset, or you won't be able to progress beyond the Champion.

Well that's fantastic. Thought I'd figured out a way to save and closed it... I was wrong.

In any case, got up to Misty but hadn't battled her yet. Magmar is insane. The Treecko I got was Modest, so it was able to hold it's own quite well. If you use it, give it the Bullet Seed TM in Mt. Moon. It's going to do exactly the same amount of damage as Absorb at the least, and potentially a lot more.

I'd caught a Bold Bagon. It's attack was still good for that point of the game despite being negatively influenced by nature, and his resistances are amazing early on. Don't discount him because of how difficult it is to train. I know you can basically get a Salamence for free later, but in the early game Bagon seemed to be worth a team slot at least.

@TM13IceBeam
Sharp Beak is a rare steal from Fearow. Tip for lategame stealing: catch yourself a L41 Lombre in Safari Zone (knows Thief naturally), then you can hunt for all the rare steals you want.

I can't beat Blaine atm, but I wanted to ask what sort of Pokemon would I be able to catch in the optional Three Islands sidequests in this hack. Anything worthwhile there?

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Previous update

After defeating Brock I head to Mt. Moon, picking up Texas the Growlithe and Madotsuki the Magikarp. Grinded Texas for a while on Route 3, then head in to the mountain and encounter a Solrock. Texas fights it with Bite, flinching it until it is down in the red. Rock Throw only does 13 dmg, so I thought he would be fine for just 1 more turn even with a crit Rock Throw.

Wild SOLROCK used Rock Throw!
A critical hit!
It's super effective!
Texas fainted.

I manage to catch the Solrock and name it IAR because he gave me such a hard time. Cerulean City mon is Ellie the Nincada. In the midst of all the grinding Gem manages to evolve. Rival Encounter!
VS

No challenge here. Golbat: OHKO by Deck's Ice Punch. Gastly: OHKO by Deck's Confusion. Snubbul: 2HKO by Deck's Ice Punch. Magby: 2HKO by Someonelse's Mud Shot.

After humiliating that douche Omega, certainly not for the last time, I make my way around to Bill's place, where I find a teleporter machine. But Bill is nowhere to be found! But there IS... a talking Clefairy?! Turns out that's Bill, and he screwed up and got fused with it! I help him out, and he gives me a ticket to the party on the SS Anne.

On my way back to Cerulean, I grab Glacier the Cyndaquil. Upon returning to Cerulean, I investigate the robbery of the house north of the Gym. I walk in, and it looks like a Skarmory flew in there and used Whirlwind! I walk into the backyard and... "Hey, get out! It's not your yard!" ...It's yours? "Me? What are you talking about? I'm an innocent bystander!"
Yeah, right. After beating down on the "innocent bystander" both Deck and Ellie evolve. I also get a Shedinja out of the deal! Sweet!

I talk to a guy around the corner and he gives me a Totodile! Would have been a sweet deal, but I already have Ninjask. :( I don't give it a name, because I immediately put it down and bury it next to Texas. New captures:

KS the Dratini (Vermillion City)
Bubs the Meowth (Route 5)
Kupo the Chikorita (Underground Path) (Both Onion_Bubs and Kupobot are, well, bots on #capasb. As no one wanted these to bear their name, Bubs and Kupo took them :P)

Gonna grind for a while after I finish typing this up.

Current team:

Deck (Knight) Lv. 24 (F)
Insomnia
- Ice Punch
- Lovely Kiss
- Sweet Kiss
- Confusion

Colonel Lv. 23 (M)
Blaze
- Ember
- Growl
- Focus Energy
- Double Kick

Gem (OfTheDay) Lv. 21 (F)
Trace
- Confusion
- Calm Mind
- Double Team
- Teleport

Someonelse Lv. 22 (M)
Torrent
- Water Gun
- Bide
- Mud Shot
- Mega Kick

Ellie Lv. 20 (F)
Speed Boost
- Screech
- Fury Cutter
- Double Team
- Fury Swipes

Shedinja Lv. 20
Wonder Guard
- Screech
- Fury Cutter
- Double Team
- Fury Swipes

Alright, I'm nuzlocking this as well, and am doing it semi-blind. I heard Brock was gonna be tough, but honestly didn't have a huge problem with him. I beat him with: Shroomish (MVP!), Elekid, Nosepass, Torchic, Ponyta, and Pidgey. Nothing stood out as too difficult, though if I hadn't had Leech Seed Onix would have been a pain and the Vulpix was ridiculous.

Brock is only tough if the Onyx gets off a full Paralyze/Confusion on you, then he can Parafusion you to death, a la Whitney.

Anyway, good job Geodude on the rival battle. He was never threatening until after, like, the 5th or 6th gym. I remember I wiped to him twice in a row at one point. Psychic and Dark types demolish him, and Bugs can help, too, earlier on.

I can't beat Blaine atm, but I wanted to ask what sort of Pokemon would I be able to catch in the optional Three Islands sidequests in this hack. Anything worthwhile there?
Pupitar as high as L59 at Sevault Canyon (becomes L60 Tyranitar with a rare candy), L55 Camerupt in Mt. Ember (ruby section, use this for the shelgon trade)

The Pokemon variety on the islands are still roughly the same as vanilla, only with inflated levels and some evolved Pokemon(and I think fully-evolved bugs now plague Pattern Bush). e.g. you can find L60 Pidgeot in Five Isle Meadow (although Pidgeot is kinda bad anyway, you get the idea).

edit: there's also beldum in sevault canyon. idk if wild metang is available though, because beldum's movepool is worse than even weedle's -.-"

Pupitar as high as L59 at Sevault Canyon (becomes L60 Tyranitar with a rare candy), L55 Camerupt in Mt. Ember (ruby section, use this for the shelgon trade)

The Pokemon variety on the islands are still roughly the same as vanilla, only with inflated levels and some evolved Pokemon(and I think fully-evolved bugs now plague Pattern Bush). e.g. you can find L60 Pidgeot in Five Isle Meadow (although Pidgeot is kinda bad anyway, you get the idea).

edit: there's also beldum in sevault canyon. idk if wild metang is available though, because beldum's movepool is worse than even weedle's -.-"
That's postgame though, isn't it?

I finally beat Blaine and took my first trip to that region. Some nice catches there, L46 Blissey being the most valuable.

That's postgame though, isn't it?

I finally beat Blaine and took my first trip to that region. Some nice catches there, L46 Blissey being the most valuable.
The rocket grunts blocking the path to the Ruby can be fought on the first visit.

Beat them, go into the cave, retrieve Ruby, pass to Celio, get Rainbow Pass.

But can you battle them on your first visit though? I couldn't fight them and I beat the Elite 4 and then I could fight them.

As far as early game goes, not sure if anyone noticed this, but you're able to get a Larvitar in Mt. Moon. All the narrow pathways hold exclusive Pokemon, such as Slugma and Numel. Larvitar can be caught in there at ~ Level 14. Makes the Dratini trade useless.

Trying to catch enough Pokemon for Oak's Aides check-ins is really annoying. There's almost a non-existent amount of Kanto pokes comapred to Hoenn pokes.

Anyone have suggestions for my team? I'm currently stuck at Fuschia gym, I've been level grinding to help. My Ace team is currently:

Electabuzz, Level 39. T-Wave, Thunderbolt, Fire Punch, Ice Punch.
Gardevoir, Level 40. CM, Psychic, Ice Punch, Magical Leaf.
Swampert, level 37. Rock Slide, Mud Shot, Muddy Water, Mud-Slap.
Arcanine, level 36. Ember (I don't know how to get Flamethrower), Odor Slueth, Take Down, Leer. Really don't have a good fire type and don't know who to replace it with, IV's were pretty good when I checked, nothing below 17.
Dragonair, level 31. (WIP obv) T-Wave, Dragon Rage, Twister, Slam.
Nidoking, level 40. Horn Attack, Fury Attack, Poison Sting, Brick Break. (Help with moves on this one too)

I scrapped Meganium after Celadon because there's no good area to level it up at, everything is poison and flying. I had to evolve eevee into Umbreon because all the other options were already taken, and I only intend on using him in Saffron. I've caught every Pokemon available in the Safari Zone, and I have a level 36 Doduo sitting in my box which is apparently OP. Any advice as far as what I can use that is easily available before Saffron?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)