Pokemon Home 3.0 update and S/V compatibility arriving ~~May 24th~~ ~~"Soon"~~ MAY 30TH FOR REAL THIS TIME

Well to be fair, there was little reason to go patch the old games for this. Back when developing them, they probably didn't yet think of the whole "separate moveset" functionality.
It's more like that for future game onwards this won't be the case.
I mean they had this in mind with BDSP & LA's home update and then immediately did the same thing i nSV

Since its basically just a big text list of moves it doesnt really matter, just funny that we get this quirky nonsense

I feel like if the issue was Machamp, the best way to fix it would be to just... make No Guard not bypass Fissure's accuracy check.

I get the feeling this is more a series or errors or oversight to do with how data was handled; perhaps they just didn't take into account the Ability Capsule and Patch

From what I’ve read, a Pokémon that learned a TM/TR move that it’s still compatible with in SV will be allowed to learn the move in HOME, but does this extend to moves that can only be learned by pre-evolutions?

I haven’t read 100% confirmation about whether or not a Bank or BDSP Breloom with Spore is allowed to relearn Spore in SV using the HOME function, since the app retains the fact that it knows Spore in its tabs for other games.

From what I’ve read, a Pokémon that learned a TM/TR move that it’s still compatible with in SV will be allowed to learn the move in HOME, but does this extend to moves that can only be learned by pre-evolutions?

I haven’t read 100% confirmation about whether or not a Bank or BDSP Breloom with Spore is allowed to relearn Spore in SV using the HOME function, since the app retains the fact that it knows Spore in its tabs for other games.
I wondered the same thing and haven't been able to test every scenario personally, but mdash tested for me that a Breloom originating from SV and sent to BDSP (obtaining Spore in HOME) and sent back to SV did not retain Spore, likely because it was not seen as in the learnset.

Sadly I will confirm this.

My Breelom coming from gen 7 *cannot* relearn Spore

Hello I'm a huge dumbass and made an embarrassing post here that nobody saw :blobastonished:

I tested to see if Cacnea could get it's old egg moves back. It does not. It will let me relearn Low Kick and Seed Bomb because they're TMs, but it won't let me relearn Counter or Switcheroo, which were egg moves in USUM and BDSP.

947DB82D-67F5-42B8-B503-5A0CCC7345FC.jpeg

1685485482537.png

Since Zangoose's entire egg movepool became move reminder only, it can relearn those 12 attacks at level 1.

You know one thing I am really hating of this update?

You only get the "move reminder" when moving from Home to SV.
If you want to access it again, you have to go through the super tedious process of putting the pokemon back to home, saving, then putting it back to SV.

GameFreaks why. Why does it always have to be 1 step forward and 15 backward.

You know one thing I am really hating of this update?

You only get the "move reminder" when moving from Home to SV.
If you want to access it again, you have to go through the super tedious process of putting the pokemon back to home, saving, then putting it back to SV.

GameFreaks why. Why does it always have to be 1 step forward and 15 backward.
Not quite.
I mean it's still annoying but what yo uhave to do is bring something from home to another game. Any game is fine, it just has to be coming from Home.

Source: I just booted up Home, went to Sword, moved a Beartic over and I could edit the moveset then and there. But only of the Beartic and only while it was "in" the Sword box

It definitely feels like you should be able to select a view and then freely change any Pokemon, though, yes.

Not quite.
I mean it's still annoying but what yo uhave to do is bring something from home to another game. Any game is fine, it just has to be coming from Home.
Yeh but that was my point, you always have to go through this obnoxious process of "put the pokemon in Home, then to the game".
Granted, it's unlikely you really need to do this more than once in a while, if you need to fix a moveset on the fly and don't want to spend resources in game to do so, but it's still on my list of "ok but why having to go through this loop"

Yeh but that was my point, you always have to go through this obnoxious process of "put the pokemon in Home, then to the game".
Granted, it's unlikely you really need to do this more than once in a while, if you need to fix a moveset on the fly and don't want to spend resources in game to do so, but it's still on my list of "ok but why having to go through this loop"
If I ha to guess their set up for this is made of duct tape & prayer, with the logic being: "the purpose of this is to alter the moveset of Pokemon that got reset"

ignoring the very useful other usecase that people would probably like out of this, that being "just act like the Move Reminder"

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Water Gun Donphan my beloved, gone forever.....
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!

I understand why they did this and all, especially because of my Charge + Defense Curl Safari Ball Alolan Raichu, (Caught in Gen 3 and taught a move that Pikachu can only learn through Gen 2 TM or Emerald Tutor, Evolved in Gen 7, and learned an Egg Move in Gen 8) but Moves are part of what makes a Pokemon who they are to me. What's the point of transferring Pokemon from my playthroughs if they lose a major part of who they are?

I know the movesets from transfer are "saved" in Home so you can see what they knew but it's not even close to being the same. I honestly wouldn't have gotten Scarlet if I knew movesets were going to be deleted upon transfer. No Battle Facility was already close to a deal breaker, but my sister had gotten a Switch recently, so I figured I'd get her Violate as an early Christmas present. I'm probably going to skip the Gen 10 games.

Last edited:
I wondered the same thing and haven't been able to test every scenario personally, but mdash tested for me that a Breloom originating from SV and sent to BDSP (obtaining Spore in HOME) and sent back to SV did not retain Spore, likely because it was not seen as in the learnset.
Sadly I will confirm this.

My Breelom coming from gen 7 *cannot* relearn Spore
9/11 moment for my shiny Breloom from SwSh as well. I literally found this feature at launch.

This also affects Volt Tackle Pikachu.

9/11 moment for my shiny Breloom from SwSh as well. I literally found this feature at launch.

This also affects Volt Tackle Pikachu.
Actually, Volt Tackle Pikachu is one of the cases that actually persists as I've recently noted in the main SV thread, despite also being a move that is also kind of preevolution exclusive and in a weird spot that's technically even more limited to get than Spore.
Through the PLA tutor, I got Volt Tackle and Fly on the event Pikachu with this which was an impossible combination before.

1685499437413.png
1685499452728.png

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!

I understand why they did this and all, especially because of my Charge + Defense Curl Safari Ball Alolan Raichu, (Caught in Gen 3 and taught a move that Pikachu can only learn through Gen 2 TM or Emerald Tutor, Evolved in Gen 7, and learned an Egg Move in Gen 8) but Moves are part of what makes a Pokemon who they are to me. What's the point of transferring Pokemon from my playthroughs if they lose a major part of who they are?

I know the movesets from transfer are "saved" in Home so you can see what they knew but it's not even close to being the same. I honestly wouldn't have gotten Scarlet if I knew movesets were going to be deleted upon transfer. No Battle Facility was already close to a deal breaker, but my sister had gotten a Switch recently, so I figured I'd get her Violate as an early birthday present. I'm probably going to skip the Gen 10 games.
Honestly, while I have mixed opinions about this whole ordeal, I'm growing increasingly fine with the drop of transfer moves. I love weird little things like Water Gun Donphan and weird sweet scent Pokemon and such, but I'm also like, not really using those attacks in battles ever. Just having them in the home data is a fine enough solution for me now that we have the update.

The loss of legitimately cool and useful tutor attacks like Grassy Glide Rillaboom or Weavile's entire movepool is a bit sad. I don't like that I don't have the option to keep those moves around, unlike in SWSH with the battle ready mark. That said, having a Pokemon I can use in battle with a real moveset and still be able to show off it's weird little esoteric movepool in Pokemon Home is kinda neat. I am almost a little miffed I didn't wait an extra gen to earn a Rank Master Ribbon on some of my Pokemon so that I could keep their weird old movepools.

It almost feels like it's been more immortalized as a trophy than wiped away. I know you don't seem to think it's not even close to the same, but I guess I just personally don't agree there. Actually using the attacks wasn't ever the big thing for my weird movepool trivia deep dives. Having a Tauros with Stomp almost feels like an extra neat little pseudo-ribbon on a Pokemon. That's not to say your gripes on this stuff isn't valid at all; however I feel about what's "the same" or not is so subjective it's pretty meaningless. We were at the precipice of having like a near perfect solution where they just needed to bring back battle ready marks and they botched that.

Ultimately though, for what it's worth, I'm not really heartbroken by this like I expected to be. I thought I'd be bummed out by 8 generations of movepool weirdness going down the drain, but now that it's happened, I'm fine.

Honestly, while I have mixed opinions about this whole ordeal, I'm growing increasingly fine with the drop of transfer moves. I love weird little things like Water Gun Donphan and weird sweet scent Pokemon and such, but I'm also like, not really using those attacks in battles ever. Just having them in the home data is a fine enough solution for me now that we have the update.

The loss of legitimately cool and useful tutor attacks like Grassy Glide Rillaboom or Weavile's entire movepool is a bit sad. I don't like that I don't have the option to keep those moves around, unlike in SWSH with the battle ready mark. That said, having a Pokemon I can use in battle with a real moveset and still be able to show off it's weird little esoteric movepool in Pokemon Home is kinda neat. I am almost a little miffed I didn't wait an extra gen to earn a Rank Master Ribbon on some of my Pokemon so that I could keep their weird old movepools.

It almost feels like it's been more immortalized as a trophy than wiped away. I know you don't seem to think it's not even close to the same, but I guess I just personally don't agree there. Actually using the attacks wasn't ever the big thing for my weird movepool trivia deep dives. Having a Tauros with Stomp almost feels like an extra neat little pseudo-ribbon on a Pokemon. That's not to say your gripes on this stuff isn't valid at all; however I feel about what's "the same" or not is so subjective it's pretty meaningless. We were at the precipice of having like a near perfect solution where they just needed to bring back battle ready marks and they botched that.

Ultimately though, for what it's worth, I'm not really heartbroken by this like I expected to be. I thought I'd be bummed out by 8 generations of movepool weirdness going down the drain, but now that it's happened, I'm fine.
The lose of a move that a pokemon legitimately learns is more astonishing (a la Spore Breloom)

A Pokemon that has prior evolution exclusive moves is only worthy in its origin games now. Say Breloom and Skeledirge.

The lose of a move that a pokemon legitimately learns is more astonishing (a la Spore Breloom)

A Pokemon that has prior evolution exclusive moves is only worthy in its origin games now. Say Breloom and Skeledirge.
This took me a second to parse but yeah, Game Freak/whoever is actually developing Home should probably at least add in a "check for moves a pre-evolution can learn" case. I don't think, however, that recording every single move a Pokémon could learn and has learned for later relearning for each individual Pokémon was something sustainable (I think I heard the game could crash if you tried to teach a Gallade a move that had too many "learned" moves in SwSh or something).

I'm personally thrilled that transfer moves are, by and large, gone; it allows for a more targeted approach to movepools for each generation. I think it's important to be aware of what moves were learnable in earlier generations, but some exclusions reveal a change in design philosophy (Toxic is a big one and Scald... well, uh, I wonder if they realized they might have just made it too good in the first place). That said, this also means that curating movepools for each generation will become even more important, and as noted with a few presumed errors with Egg Moves in SV, that doesn't seem to have been done with enough care.

While moving around stuff, I put my Shiny Stantler into LA so I can evolve it later and the notice for this one has this little note at the end :"If you move a Pokemon obtained in Pokemon Scarlet or Pokemon Violet into Pokemon Legends: Arceus, tis ID No. wil change.
If you move it back into Pokemon Home, its ID No. will return to what it originally was."

?????
1685515705940.png

I guess after SWSH they were actually fine with displaying an invalid origin at this point.

A minor thing I've noticed is that the level up learnsets you have access to from the games you've visited are fully taken into account when checking for possible moves to remember. For example, when taking Breloom from SV to BDSP, I noticed it could relearn Focus Punch and Brick Break in the BDSP transfer because Breloom gets those by level up in SV but TMs in BDSP, and it was available just from the levelup pool even though they weren't in my current moveset. When bringing Breloom back from BDSP into SV, it gained Giga Drain and Drain Punch in the HOME relearner from being SV TMs overlapping with the BDSP level up learnset in the same way, so that's a minor skip you can do to have access to such a move without putting it in your moveset, but I'm not sure what else it would really apply to.

Another thing I noticed about a year too late is that the starter gifts I got from HOME 2.0.0 were apparently Japanese and used the Japanese full width letters while still letting me nickname it when I got it, so now I have a Piplup with a nickname of 12 full width letters which is pretty cool.
1685516458638.png
1685516594709.png

Gotta check my Breloom, as I had bred it so the Shroomish hatched with Spore in US:

1685524076750.png

Basically, the old approach of "if both parents are of the same species and both have a level up move in their moveset, their offspring will have that one as an egg move", and Spore is on Shroomish' level up learnset, so it can be an egg move that becomes relearnable for a Breloom in a game it doesn't learn it by level up. AFAIK you can get Spore as a relearnable move for Breloom in SV that way, but will be testing if it works for transfers as well.

EDIT: And it doesn't work. Goddammit BDSP, fucking over the approach of removing preevo-only moves.

Gotta check my Breloom, as I had bred it so the Shroomish hatched with Spore in US:

View attachment 521292

Basically, the old approach of "if both parents are of the same species and both have a level up move in their moveset, their offspring will have that one as an egg move", and Spore is on Shroomish' level up learnset, so it can be an egg move that becomes relearnable for a Breloom in a game it doesn't learn it by level up. AFAIK you can get Spore as a relearnable move for Breloom in SV that way, but will be testing if it works for transfers as well.

EDIT: And it doesn't work. Goddammit BDSP, fucking over the approach of removing preevo-only moves.
And there goes any hope of my shiny Breloom from GBA, all for one edge case (no guard Fissure Machamp). This is the first time game of origin matters.

BDSP does have Breloom learning it at level 1.

Last edited:
I'm a genius!: I put one of my 4 (!!!!) Shiny Magikarp on the GTS for a Miraidon, surely someone will be swayed by the allure

Oh no!: This requires people to actively be searching the Magikarp tag on GTS

e:

I banked on people not knowing the secret trick for 3-Mouse Tandemaus (all raids default to it) and it paid dividends

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)