Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Like say, stuff like Chatot, Hippowdon, Rotom, Beartic, Ferrothorn, etc not really having much of a cultural or ecological relation to their region
Chatot and Rotom do fit decently IMO, one of Rotoms inspirations seems to be object yokai and other possessing spirits which fit very well in a Japanese region. Parrots aren't uncommon pets in Japan, having a pokémon based on it in a Japanese region isn't far-fetched.
Ferrothorn and Hippowdon are a bit more of a stretch, but their lines seem to be a bit inspired by the military influence of the US and Buddhist gods, respectively.
Agreed on Beartic though lol

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Alolan Raichu, Marowak, Exeggutor
Galarian Weezing and Mr. Mime
They keyword you missed was "alt", as in alternative.

All the Pokemon you mentioned are Regional Variants of existing Pokemon. When I say "Alt Regional Evolutions" I mean Pokemon like Perrserker & Rungerigus; they're not Galarian forms of Persian or Cofagrigus but rather take their place for the Galarian forms of their basic stages.

The point I was trying to get across that, since the Starters aren't native to Hisui, it wouldn't make sense for them to get a Hisuian variant (aka no Hisuian versions of Dartix, Decidueye, Quilava, Typhlosion, Dewott & Samurott). So they would have to be new branches, new cross gen evos. BUT, working off from what we've seen that GF don't want to do those anymore, the only way to do this would be connecting the new cross gen evos with the Regional Variant mechanic. Eitherway it would be expanding upon the definition of what is a Regional Variant.

Edit a few minutes later with some more thoughts:
I'm pretty sure GameFreak's aversion to "new evolutions for old Pokemon (not including entirely alternate evolution lines e.g. Galarian Farfetch'd)" since Gen 5 is because that's when they added Eviolite, so now cross-gen evolutions are a backwards-compatibility break -- and we know how weird Gamefreak gets about backwards-compatibility for evolutions and evolution methods. (Which is why the only true cross-gen evolutions we've gotten since then are for Eevee, who... already had evolutions at that stage, so its Eviolite boost at the Eevee-stage wouldn't have changed.) This factor does not matter at all for the Legends starters, who already have full evolutionary lines, and tbh this is the only reason alt evolutions should be considered possible for them.

This is also why it's 100% possible there will not be a Hisuian Scyther: because Scyther already has an evolution in Scizor. Basculegion and Wyrdeer, though, would need a Hisuian Basculin and Stantler, under this line of thinking.
I don't think that's the reason (like the Galarian counterparts that got a new evolution still have the same BST and would be getting an Eviolite boost; just the normal counterpart wouldn't). I think the reason was more due to the massive backlash they got from all the Gen IV cross gens they introduced, many whom designs weren't liked or criticized for taking the different in a different direction. And you know how people get protective with their favorite Pokemon, so many whose favorite Pokemon were say Magmar, Piloswine, & Rhydon may not have been too pleased that they're no longer fully evolved Pokemon but instead they evolve into Magmortar, Mamoswine, and Rhyperior. Regional Variants & Evolutions gave them a way around all of this. They wouldn't touch the normal form thus fans of that Pokemon would be happy & they can not only experiment giving a new twist on the existing Pokemon but now can further their evolution line.

And not sure I follow your logic with Kleavor. Because there's Scizor thus there's no H-Scyther? Perrserker & Rungerigus would like to disagree with you on that.

I believe that Wyrdeer is the normal Stantler evolution. Just look at the guardian's pants.
Just saying, normal Stantler probably exists, Hisui may just have a special breed of them. Or maybe H-Stantler doesn't look all that different from normal Stantler in a way that the clothing pattern is able to hide. Alolan Diglett & Geodude only have slight visual differences that is extra parts of their design and isn't a "major" color shift.

Also, looking at the Stantler on Mai's pants leg, there is this odd little "spike" coming out from its back (and its eyes have a heavy black mark marking and eyelash). Even if you discount the eyes has a design choice, it's odd for them to have added that spike on its back. Also, we don't get a full image of the Stantler pattern, notably the top of the antler is cut off.[/quote]

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Just saying, normal Stantler probably exists, Hisui may just have a special breed of them. Or maybe H-Stantler doesn't look all that different from normal Stantler in a way that the clothing pattern is able to hide. Alolan Diglett & Geodude only have slight visual differences that is extra parts of their design and isn't a "major" color shift.

Also, looking at the Stantler on Mai's pants leg, there is this odd little "spike" coming out from its back (and its eyes have a heavy black mark marking and eyelash). Even if you discount the eyes has a design choice, it's odd for them to have added that spike on its back. Also, we don't get a full image of the Stantler pattern, notably the top of the antler is cut off.
9982EE4D-2CFB-4921-AB88-4EC6C7C38CED.jpeg
519B95A8-CB4B-48CF-AC9D-53D51A13E974.jpeg

They look. Exactly. The same. Yeah there's some teeny tiny cosmetic differences, but that means jack shit for these robes the Hisui cast wears (just look at Kamado's cursed af Golduck robe, doesn't mean that's getting a new form).

There's being cautious, and then there's just paranoia. Galarian Linoone, Mr. Mime, Corsola and even Farfetch'd cannot possibly be conflated for their originals in any circumstance. The same cannot be said for this Stantler drawing.

I mean shit, Wyrdeer itself doesn't continue ANY of these supposed deviations! No back spike, no weird eyes, no black snout. It's probably the most faithful-to-the-original cross-gen evolution they've ever made minus the color scheme and even that's nothing unusual (Crobat and Gliscor say hi)
8A4B3FF6-611F-4F3D-81AB-129AC67119E0.jpeg

I'm with Aquatic here: If even after all of this they somehow spring Hisuian form pre-evos for these dudes on us, that's flagrant deceptive marketing, no ifs ands or buts about it. And even if that is somehow the case, that would raise the question of why they went through the effort when just making the OGs the pre-evos would be less effort for more gain (while they went through the extra effort of making their new evos tie into Hisui lore, there's no doubt the infamous blandness and mediocrity of Basculin and Stantler had a role in their selection for evolutions).

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm on the fence on thinking if Wyrdeer is an evolution for Original Stantler or a new Hissiu Stantler, but I just want to throw in an idea that would explain why it wasn't "discovered" before. (Is before even the right term for a game that takes place in the past?) What if Stantler evolves with a new "Regional" Evolution Stone? That would also help with getting variants like Alolan Raichu and Galaran Wheezing in future games too.

After having given it some thought, the only way I would accept Hisuian alt evolutions for Cyndaquil, Rowlet, and Oshawott (which, BTW, hasn't happened yet (Alt Regional Evolutions have so far only been for Regional Variants) so that would be a new precedent if it did) is if it was done via some artificial way. As I said, the original reason I've pushed back is because REGIONAL Variants means that Pokemon is from that region and has adapted to it; it's specifically said that the Cyndaquil, Rowlet, and Oshawott Starters are foreign Pokemon brought to Hisui by the Professor. It won't make sense for them to have a natural Regional Variant.
Note that one of the reasons people(at least me) are expecting alternate evos is that Decidueye is Ghost-type because it's based on extinct owls, and that setting it in the past is an obvious reason to give it a different type.

On the topic of starters, has anyone decided what they're going with yet? Whether or not there's new evos, I'm probably taking Cyndaquil. There's always lots of water types to choose between, so Oshawott is out, and while Rowlett is adorable, I suspect I'll run into coverage issues with that and my probable Scyther+Basculegion.

I'm definitely going with Cynadquil. Cyndaquil is one of the cutest Pokemon, and Typhlosion is the best starter

I love Rowlet and Oshawott but their evolutions dont do anything for me

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Rowlet's my pick for 2 reasons

1. Based and Alolapilled

2. I used Empoleon in Platinum and will use Torterra in BDSP, so I wanna leave room for Infernape on my Legends Arceus squad

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm not a fan of Rowlet's evolutions and I'm neutral on Oshawatt but I could (and will) talk a bit about what I like about Cyndaquil.

Cynadquil feels kind of plain in 3D but there's something I like about it. I can't put my finger on what though. I know it's partly because I was a Cyndaquil in my first Mystery Dungeon playthrough. Maybe it's because I always think about how it looks with its flames because of starting playing in Gen 3. I know what I like about its evolutions though. Quilava looks cute without its flames and awesome with them and Typhlosion feels really plain looking to me in 3D but I can't not like it after Choice Scarf Eruption with Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave and Solar Power Life Orb Heliolisk's Hyper Voice and battlefield crossing Dragon Pulse in the Battle Mansion Triples. Watching the world burn is fun! :D

If the starters don't get new forms/evos I will go with Decidueye for sure.

If they do get new forms/evos, it will very much depend on the look and types and other options. If one of Oshawott3-H or Cyndaquill3-H picked up the ghost type, strong likelihood I'd go with that (even if it'd mean two ghost/waters). Otherwise, I'd lean towards whichever looks coolest/most interesting, but that can be overridden by other options in favor of type balance. e.g., if Growlithe-H evo looks too cool, it might spell bad news for Cyndaquill3-H. Similarly a non-water/ghost Oshawott3-H will have a hard time competing with Basculegion. (That's not to say I don't double up on types, but if it's not ghost I probably wouldn't have a type on more than 2 mons).

Hey actually, how would Trash Wormadam even work? Not only does it feel anachronistic for Burmy to find a bunch of metal shit to cloak with inside buildings, but battles inside buildings doesn't seem like it's really going to be a thing in this game.
That's a good question actually. While fiberglass was actually around in that time period, I very much doubt it was used for insulation at that time.

Also, I've never considered before how Wormadam requires repeatable battles in a building to evolve into its Trash Cloak form, otherwise the player might get locked out of the ability to do so.

Hey actually, how would Trash Wormadam even work? Not only does it feel anachronistic for Burmy to find a bunch of metal shit to cloak with inside buildings, but battles inside buildings doesn't seem like it's really going to be a thing in this game.
I'm guessing they'll just shift it to "battle around settlements" or "battle in areas with amounts of iron ore" or perhaps even "battle with steel types"

I mean this is still Sinnoh so uhhh have fun with Wormadam/Mothim ig
Also smh at everyone who lept to Burmy being the regional bug and not Kricketot, the bug Pokemon you found on the first route who evolves at level 10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)