Pokemon News

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
There's no doubt that Smogon is the elite competitive Pokemon website, but I don't want to have to go to Serebii.net to find out news and updates for upcoming games and events. Serebii's homepage relays the most current news about Pokemon, why can't/don't we? I'm not suggesting we do that for our front page, but instead an area of Stark or elsewhere that is simply news. I really don't know or for that matter care how it would be layed out, but having to turn to Serebii to learn that an upcoming event will give Jirachi Draco Meteor (or updates about upcoming games, etc...) bothers me and is certainly a drawback to Smogon. I just wish we had a simple regularly updated page with daily updates of what's going on.

Does anyone else find this to be an inconvenience?

i don't think anyone would have a problem with it, but how would we do it? would we have to assign people the role of information gatherers, or just have a free-for-all for each update?

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I like/agree with this idea, because I always go to Serebii for news but would just rather go to a certain area in Smogon since I'm here anyway. Maybe mods or trusted people can post info, if we made any person able to post info there ia a better chance for it to be crap.

I don't see how the news we would get on smogon would be any different from that on serebii. Truthfully I think this would be a lost cause, as there are many sites that report the latest pokemon "news", so there is no real need for Smogon to do it too.

Or a deal could be struck with Serebii about sharing or borrowing information.
Perhaps, if The Smog were released on timely intervals, upcoming events/news could be presented there?

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
My thoughts is that a slew of users are designated to find stuff in a preliminary news thread and those who show that they are constantly doing their research/searching for news get rewarded with a badge for contributing. If the idea seems popular, the preliminary advances and a "News Section" is added to the site. This area would be locked similarly to the Trou Du Coul area- but those who showed dedication from the prelims could come in and edit in Pokemon news/updates for easy viewing access with their contributing badges (and it'd keep nonsense users out of the equation). Again, I haven't given this too much thought, but that seems easy enough

@Vhind
OFten times though, things hit fast. Also, users are more likely to read a days worth of news then an entire months worth. Putting it into the smog would just be altogether untimely.

Well, contrary to Serebii, Smogon would contain news pertaining to the games, not to the anime, which is much less than you think when one really boils it down.
And obviously most people will use other sites for immediate updates. So even if Smogon included an "In the past month..." run-down of news, it would be pointless and untimely for a lot of the community, I agree. However, it could be an idea for future Smog issues...

But I do like that idea, dragonites, about a "News" section.

I don't think using Serebii would harm anything. Don't get me wrong, I like this idea but I don't see why one can't just use Serebii.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, nobody owns information so no deal would have to be struck with Serebii.

Anyway, aren't there already threads that discuss important game news? The HG/SS thread, event Pokemon threads in Stark / WiFi, Nintendo tournaments, etc. Everything that is covered by Serebii that Smogon would bother with seems to be things that are already presented in individual threads. I guess if you don't want to have to look around through threads it's convenient, but I don't really see a point to this.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think Smogon should stick to competitive-related news on its front page, because that's what Smogon is about. If people want to see game-related news, there are other sites for that, and they are free to visit them.

On a sidenote, though, the news front page would do with a little more frequent updates.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I actually agree with the OP. I mean, it wouldn't be hard to have a page for general pokemon news, keeping it off the main page but in something like smogon.com/news/general or whatever.

There's no reason not to have it. I mean, a lot of this news does have effect on competitive battling itself, and this just makes Smogon more 'complete'. For example, the announcement of the latest pokemon tournaments (I forgot what they were called) bears direct relation to competitive battling, I don't see why one must stumble upon threads about those on the forums rather than read them in a new section on the website.

I do like the idea of having an area on-site where there can be concise information on events, new generations, remakes, and so on. One of the biggest problems I find with threads in Stark is that more information generally comes through slowly, and often lots of information is portrayed over a large number of pages which can be quite boring when you are looking to see if a suspicion about something has been confirmed or not. I don't see why we can't have a general area on-site where it information about upcoming events and so on are portrayed, which may mean more people also get interested in whatever it is currently going on. It would provide easy information on upcoming changes in competitive battling, and would possibly mean more users take interest in Smogon. I would be glad to help with this project if a higher-up approved it, and I am sure others would be too.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, I don't mind including 'non-competitive news' on the front page, it has been done before for things such as the Darkrai distribution (although it had unique attacks so that could be deemed as 'competitive'). However, along with news like this in the past, it's always been included in a blog of competitive news. So maybe we should always have site news / competitive news and add news such as events and game releases (or whatever else deemed necessary) to those.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Hmm, this certainly is an interesting idea. While I see no problem with just going to Serebii.net for non-competitive Pokemon News, I really do not see what would be so hard about just having a page for Pokemon News on the main site with information on upcoming Events, remakes, new generations etc. etc. We normally use Stark threads for this kind of information, but the information in those threads comes out very slowly and it would be nice to have an on-site page that gets updated with new information regularly.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think that it would be a neat idea to post news in a seperate area of Smogon like Shiv said, and possibly open a section of Stark Mountain that partains to the news featured on this page (ie. News Discussion or whatever).

I get sick of going through all of these other websites trying to pull out the information solely about competitive battling, and having something like this would be beneficial to all of Smogon, imo.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't really like it. Smogon's not about that stuff, we don't have pages on items for contests, in-game walkthroughs, anime summaries, and the like. Why have news about the numerous Pokémon games, spinoffs, and events?

I see nothing wrong with using serebii, its the same thing and it is not like they are in competition for anything.

Plus if you only focus on smogon's stuff, theyre really is not much to update on a regular basis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)