Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

From the wording, it seems regular pokemon are only capable of "normal tera" (aka, just stab boost), and the ones with "special tera" are the ones available in the raid battles / obtained via events.
I pulled up the trailer again because I wanted to know the exact wording

The way it's presented, fratelli is more correct. It sounds like just about any Pokemon can theoretically have any type BUT there are some that are "rarer" than others and "rare" teratypes are more common with Raids.

more common, but you can still find them on your rando pokemon.

I presume the rarities involved will vary Pokemon to Pokemon.
The trailer says Eevee is "typically" Normal typing but can also be found with Water or Grass (not the only 2 options, we know from the website that they can become Flying too), so I wouldn't be surprised if most Pokemon default to one of their typings as their most common Tera, with a selection of other typings (maybe ones that most relate to their typings or movepool options or evolutions or whatever) being uncommon and then the "weird" types for that Pokemon probably being rare.

I pulled up the trailer again because I wanted to know the exact wording

The way it's presented, fratelli is more correct. It sounds like just about any Pokemon can theoretically have any type BUT there are some that are "rarer" than others and "rare" teratypes are more common with Raids.

more common, but you can still find them on your rando pokemon.

I presume the rarities involved will vary Pokemon to Pokemon.
The trailer says Eevee is "typically" Normal typing but can also be found with Water or Grass (not the only 2 options, we know from the website that they can become Flying too), so I wouldn't be surprised if most Pokemon default to one of their typings as their most common Tera, with a selection of other typings (maybe ones that most relate to their typings or movepool options or evolutions or whatever) being uncommon and then the "weird" types for that Pokemon probably being rare.
This is what I'm expecting too. For instance, Wild Eevee, to continue using it as an example, have a 50% chance to have a Normal Tera Type, 4% chance each to have one that matches it's Evolutions, and a 2% chance each for the remaining types.

And then on top of that there's a flying crystal that has a chance for an Eevee Raid that has a guaranteed Flying Tera Type Eevee as a rare spawn.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
This is what I'm expecting too. For instance, Wild Eevee, to continue using it as an example, have a 50% chance to have a Normal Tera Type, 4% chance each to have one that matches it's Evolutions, and a 2% chance each for the remaining types.

And then on top of that there's a flying crystal that has a chance for an Eevee Raid that has a guaranteed Flying Tera Type Eevee as a rare spawn.
This. Although in most cases without a strong flavor reasoning (like maybe Drifblim gets a higher chance to be Fire because of hot-air balloons) I’d think GF would just put all other types at the same rate, no “rarer” types like Steel being more common than Ice, except for maybe Normal or the starter types being more common.

Now that you said that...

A Fairy-Tera Sylveon... How will the boost from Terastal works with Pixilate?

My post has been edited. Added in Sunflora and Vivillon
I wouldn't count Sunflora just yet. AFAIK we only see a sculpture, but it has been the case that Pokémon that are not part of the regional dex are still referenced. For example, Galarian Weezing is part of the main building in PLA but cannot be caught in PLA; there are Chatot/Cherrim t-shirts that you can buy in Alola but you can only get Chatot through Bank; there is a Fletchling weather bane in Galar but it was not until the DLC that Fletchling became available. So a statue is not enough proof that the Pokémon will be in the game.

Assuming all these Pokemon are in SV, here is what I think gets to utilize the Tera Type mechanic the best.

:ss/Avalugg:
Probably the best defensive user of the Tera mechanic that turns Avalugg from a crappy Ice type, into a Physical titan on par with the likes of Blissey physically, not only having similar bulk flipped over (as in it only takes Physical moves slightly worse than Blissey does for Special moves).
It can be Steel, Water, Fairy, Ground, Poison, Ghost, Dark, Psychic, Fire, Fighting, Grass, Psychic, ect. It’s like if you gave Multitype to Avalugg instrad of Arceus, but also can hold an item. What ever suits your team, which typically will be Steel, Ghost, or Poison if we are gonna be honest, Avalugg can be a valuable asset.
In OU, I see Avalugg being a staple pick on Stall teams now. Being physical Blissey that also has Rapid Spin and hits harder than a pool noodle, it would be very hard to pass up Avalugg. It’ll have its niche in other playstyles, similar to Blissey/Chansey would on more offensive teams, but less than on Stall. It still uses the Tera mechanic on itself, so plans of using a Pokemon built more around Tera Types is a not advised.
Also, honorable mentions :articuno: :regice: :regirock: :probopass: :cryogonal: :diancie: :mantine: :celebi: :Rhyperior: :blissey: :chansey: :aurorus:

:ss/Dragonite: :ss/Salamence: :ss/Volcarona:
As I previously mentioned, one of the biggest applications is to use Tera typing on a sweeper.
What you would do is send out say Dragonite against something that is forced out against it. Dragon Dance while your opponent switches into something like Choice Band Mamoswine, then you Tera type into Water while they clicked on an Ice move, giving yourself another turn or 2 for free.
252+ Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 59-70 (18.2 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 28-33 (8.6 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
You’re now have a Dragonite at pretty healthy HP, 2 extra free turns, and being at +2/+3 Atk/Spe. You also likely have Aqua Tail/Waterfall for STAB.
Additionally, you could be Steel, Ground for Earthquake, or a number of things for Dragonite.
Similar principle for Salamence and Volcarona.

:ss/Dracovish: :ss/Kyogre: :ss/Porygon-Z: :ss/Tapu Lele:
Super STAB. No further comments.

:ss/Zeraora:
Probably one of the most improved Pokemon and best users of Tera Type in OU, Zerarora combines all the ways you can use the mechanic to its fullest.
You can use it for making Zeraora into the preferred type the match, surprise the opponent with sudden type change, and Super STAB Plasma Fist. It has an expansive movepool with Close Combat, Knock Off, Play Rough, Acrobatics, and Grass Knot. You’re not just limited to giving yourself STAB or Super STAB, as a pivot you can make yourself Steel, which does lose some good STAB, but Zeraora become the most defining monotype in the games. You can also still make yourself other types for giving Zeraora more of a backbone other than Steel depending on your team’s needs or how common Fighting/Ground/Fire will become in SV (which just goes to show how defining Steel is).

I wouldn't count Sunflora just yet. AFAIK we only see a sculpture, but it has been the case that Pokémon that are not part of the regional dex are still referenced. For example, Galarian Weezing is part of the main building in PLA but cannot be caught in PLA; there are Chatot/Cherrim t-shirts that you can buy in Alola but you can only get Chatot through Bank; there is a Fletchling weather bane in Galar but it was not until the DLC that Fletchling became available. So a statue is not enough proof that the Pokémon will be in the game.
Serebii confirmed Sunkern/Sunflora to be in

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Honestly the gimmick has me intrigued. If its like Dynamax where any mon can trigger it at any point in the match, it could very well add a good layer of strategy to teambuilding and to the flow of battles in general.

For all we know, we should build all our mons with having in mind "what Tera Type can I give it that could be useful in a match if I'm put into a situation where I need to use it". Random example but lets say you run Steel Hydreigon so you have Flash Cannon in the set if you need it, but still a viable move for coverage. Think that, but for the entire team with the thought process of "What Tera type could each of my mons be for better team synergy?"

I see a lot of people bring up Steel for defensive teams but you have to consider a lot of defensive mons are also already Steel - is ot really wprth using your Tera Type on a nonsteel defensive mon when you could run another defensive Steel instead and keep your Tera Type to survive specific matchups if needed? Or would it be more worth it to run good defensive typings that aren't often seen on defensively oriented mons, like, say, Electric or Dragon/ I get why people think Steel and Fairy would be the main big ones but imo it definitely goes further than that defensively.

I'm also curious if something that is weak to rocks but doesn't use one of its stabs as much would bother Terastallizing to lose the rocks-weak type. For an example lets say Kleavor drops Bug so its Rock moves hit harder and it doesn't have to deal with Stealth Rocks anymore.

Just hope that if there is an universal move that matches your tera type, it's only usable if the gimmick is active. Hidden Power was a pretty dumb move imo, and this would most likely be above 60 BP since they'd want this to be your main STAB option for Tera mons. In which case, it could very well mean that every mon could just have any type coverage with a presumably decent base power (And I'm assuming some workaround for phys/specialmons both being able to run it). I really hope its a tamer move that only works when Tera'd because otherwise it feels like it limits crativity both in how the Pokémon themselves are mechanically designed (Some mons tend to lack relevant STABs for one of their types or lack important coverage purposefully as a balance factor - this move would remove that) and how they go about using the mechanic (Using the default tera move instead of relying on coverage, so it doesn't matter if your Hydra can learn Flash Cannon and use the mechanic around that because it would just gain a Steel move anyways). Could also just be like Nature Power so its a move that calls other moves based on your tera type and depending if atk > sp atk

I cans ee a lot of ways the gimmick could work, cautiously optimistic with this one though because there's also lots of ways it could go wrong

While reading through your post, I actually made a realization that makes the mechanic a bit more interesting than it seems and less stupid on practice than it sounds like on paper.

You can't actually select the type "on the fly". You have to pre-select (well, catch in the game, but we know how smogon works and honestly I'm 99% sure that a eventual DLC will add a way to pick the Tera type you want) what your pokemon Tera type is.

Let's take the Dragonite example.
You won't actually have the option to go water or ground depending on matchup. Your dragonite will be either Water or Ground type tera. It can't have both.
Which means that the mechanic isnt anywhere as flexible as Dynamax. You will either have a Dragonite that knows Waterfall and is ready to abuse that type swap, or it won't have it.

It will definitely add a extra layer to team building though. Kinda like hidden power, you can basically pick the Tera type that suits a specific pokemon need, but you will definitely run in situations like when you have to pick hidden power ice for Landorus or fire for Kartana. Do I pick Tera-Water to setup in front of Weavile but get demolished by Zeraora, or do I take Tera-Ground to laugh at Regieleki and Zeraora but make myself food for Kartana?

Terra-steel aggron is like a light version of mega-aggron that is able? to hold items.
To be honest, Aggron is lacking as a defensive Steel without Filter and that 230 Defense since it doesn't have a great support movepool. Rock seems more likely for still dropping the double weaknesses and amping up the one thing regular Aggron has (Rock Head+ Head Smash) even further.

While reading through your post, I actually made a realization that makes the mechanic a bit more interesting than it seems and less stupid on practice than it sounds like on paper.

You can't actually select the type "on the fly". You have to pre-select (well, catch in the game, but we know how smogon works and honestly I'm 99% sure that a eventual DLC will add a way to pick the Tera type you want) what your pokemon Tera type is.

Let's take the Dragonite example.
You won't actually have the option to go water or ground depending on matchup. Your dragonite will be either Water or Ground type tera. It can't have both.
Which means that the mechanic isnt anywhere as flexible as Dynamax. You will either have a Dragonite that knows Waterfall and is ready to abuse that type swap, or it won't have it.

It will definitely add a extra layer to team building though. Kinda like hidden power, you can basically pick the Tera type that suits a specific pokemon need, but you will definitely run in situations like when you have to pick hidden power ice for Landorus or fire for Kartana. Do I pick Tera-Water to setup in front of Weavile but get demolished by Zeraora, or do I take Tera-Ground to laugh at Regieleki and Zeraora but make myself food for Kartana?
On top of this extra dimension of picking and choosing which Pokemon that you can break past, Pokemon also have the option of "counter-teraing" to continue checking the Pokemon they are suppose to beat. A Clefable or Tapu Fini Expecting Hydreigon / Weavile going Steel-Tera could just go Fire-Tera to continue beating them up.

That being said, I think a lot of Pokemon will just go Tera to their main STAB-type as well. Garchomp mostly uses its Ground-STAB so it could just go Tera Ground-type to make that even more threatening + getting rid of its Fairy Weakness. Scizor is mostly about cleaning with Bullet Punch so Tera Steel-type lets it do that better + allows it to invest more points into its bulk w/o compromising it's damage output. Heracross never uses its bug STAB these days so Tera Fighting-type will make its CC even more explosive.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
the solution to all of ice's problems: turning into a different type
Counterpoint: You can just do that on other Pokémon with better coverage, as Ice-type Pokémon’s movepool in general tend to be too rigid unless I misremembered.

And another counterpoint for anyone saying ”guaranteed Ice STAB”: Unless your Pokémon happens to be fast and have either high Attack or Special Attack, getting one resistance and more weaknesses is not worth it.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok so I'm not entirely sure if this was by design or just a happy accident but I'm really digging how the Paldea dex is using a lot of Pokemon that haven't been in a regional dex outside of their homeland. Donphan, Slaking, Cacturne, Luxray, Sawsbuck, Gogoat, all of these have been gone for years, totally unseen outside of their origin games with the exception of postgame activities.

Ok so I'm not entirely sure if this was by design or just a happy accident but I'm really digging how the Paldea dex is using a lot of Pokemon that haven't been in a regional dex outside of their homeland. Donphan, Slaking, Cacturne, Luxray, Sawsbuck, Gogoat, all of these have been gone for years, totally unseen outside of their origin games with the exception of postgame activities.
it's probably by design because the only way they're getting in at all is by being in a regional dex, so....

was wonderin' what everyone's first impression is on how Tera types might be used competitively? A part of me thought there'd be a meta built around predicting switch-ins where pokemon with good coverage are the best choice/can punish something they'd be weak against with their tera type (like Quaxly switching from Water to Ground), or that most pokemon would spec in to one of their natural types so they can spam an OP move w/ Tera STAB. I was entertaining the idea that there'd be a fun strategy to give an already bulky pokemon a new Tera Type that mixes up its defenses so it can tank damage differently (like a Steel or Ghost-type Chansey w/ eviolite, assuming your Terastallized -mon can still use other items, go full on delta-species), but feels more like hyper offense is the only idea that'll hold water over time.

was wonderin' what everyone's first impression is on how Tera types might be used competitively? A part of me thought there'd be a meta built around predicting switch-ins where pokemon with good coverage are the best choice/can punish something they'd be weak against with their tera type (like Quaxly switching from Water to Ground), or that most pokemon would spec in to one of their natural types so they can spam an OP move w/ Tera STAB. I was entertaining the idea that there'd be a fun strategy to give an already bulky pokemon a new Tera Type that mixes up its defenses so it can tank damage differently (like a Steel or Ghost-type Chansey w/ eviolite, assuming your Terastallized -mon can still use other items, go full on delta-species), but feels more like hyper offense is the only idea that'll hold water over time.
Already broken mons with plenty of opportunities to setup and also good coverage and bulk (nite, chomper, clef, volc...) suddenly becoming to a type that wins against the 2 specific checks in the entire metagame designed to stop said mon, rendering said check/counter useless and snowballing through the rest of the team with no counterplay available.

Un saludo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)