Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is truly nothing we can really do about that, (unless we introduce it incredibly late in the game/in the after game, which is a terrible idea anyways) simply because the vast majority of competitive teams, wether its built by some noob or one of the best known OU players, have a Mega Evolution on their team. I can agree with you now that it is to early simply because not everything is full evolved yet, but I still don't think we should have to wait for people to suggest these items. Also Mega Houndoom was BL for a bit but it was unbanned through a unanimous vote and almost dropped to RU this tier shift
Why not just stick LO and friends in the pokemart? They're important items that are going to be in every competitive team anyway, and sticking them in shops will allow us to assume the player has access to multiple copies of them (after all, no item clause, right?). I see nothing wrong with allowing shops to have choice items, LO, and lefties as soon as right after the second gym even. If LC can be balanced around these items, then surely they are balanced at the low 30s that we're going to be at after gym 2.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Why not just stick LO and friends in the pokemart? They're important items that are going to be in every competitive team anyway, and sticking them in shops will allow us to assume the player has access to multiple copies of them (after all, no item clause, right?). I see nothing wrong with allowing shops to have choice items, LO, and lefties as soon as right after the second gym even. If LC can be balanced around these items, then surely they are balanced at the low 30s that we're going to be at after gym 2.
Never thought of that, thats actually a really good idea. They will have to be somewhat expensive to prevent it from being to O.P, but I am fine with that

Trainer Proposal

??? City(cause I never heard of places with gyms that are not cities)
Dewford Town.

Cynicism aside, I've been incredibly busy IRL so I'll post my opinions quickly: I support Fighting for the gym type due to the infernape guy. I promise to draw him if we vote for Fighting. This does leave one question: which mod could be badass enough to jump in a pit of lava?

NO MEGA'S. No Mega evolutions yet, even the "low" tier ones, this early in the game would be gamebreaking and I'd like this game to be somewhat difficult, thank you.

That being said, I propose something else: If we go the fighting gym route and defeat him, then TLS should appear to steal the "forbidden item" that the gym leader had been guarding. The admin takes it, and then you are forced to fight a Lucario holding a Lucarionite! Thus, we get introduced to mega-evo's, but it's the enemy who has them.

Maybe a gift Riolu in the town as well?

The town's name should be Norris Town if we go fighting route. You know why it has to be called that.

I'll post more things later if I have the time- and also I'm working on coloring the V.2 PC's.

Okay since no discussion is seeming to happen I'm gonna call the type discussion when I get home so if you are really against the favored type make a case. If not be silent as we continue the discussion.

I kinda forgot about this topic during the excitement of all the mega leaks and speculation, sry bout that mance.

Anyway, I'm pretty K with ground or fighting. We've got a decent number of choices for both. I want to avoid fire for the time being because I want a megazard on the fire gym's team, and the player is simply not prepared for the majesty of megazard atm.

P.S. Are you feeling the burning hatred of a hundred trolls who are raging at the thought of the blue dragon of silliness tearing through the meta like wet tissues which are crying in the nearly near future?

I kinda forgot about this topic during the excitement of all the mega leaks and speculation, sry bout that mance.

Anyway, I'm pretty K with ground or fighting. We've got a decent number of choices for both. I want to avoid fire for the time being because I want a megazard on the fire gym's team, and the player is simply not prepared for the majesty of megazard atm.

P.S. Are you feeling the burning hatred of a hundred trolls who are raging at the thought of the blue dragon of silliness tearing through the meta like wet tissues which are crying in the nearly near future?
Aint yalls fault, just giving a heads up as frankly the town discussion is long and id like type done when we can (It urks me seeing it dormant for a bit with nothing going on).

And also no, I doubt its gonna be worth mentioning as its already something I don't care for and am hoping everyone gets their hopes crushed with no speed boost or something. Tbt im not thinking bout it as its what they want (ie what I also do not to get pissed bout everyone running Lando-T when I truthfully despise it or just find it wasteful).

I'll give it an extra day just cause of the mega stuff but not much more.

I'll be quick since the homework beckons me.

I'll make a case for fighting: because it's supereffective against normal. We can continue the trend by making the next gym leader have a type advantage over the previous one to give us a little trend going.

EG: A hypothetical scenario would be like this:

Gym 1: Formal
Gym 2: Fighting
Gym 3: Psychic
Gym 4: Dark
Gym 5: Fairy
Gym 6: Steel
Gym 7: Fire
Gym 8: Water

That is all.

I'll be quick since the homework beckons me.

I'll make a case for fighting: because it's supereffective against normal. We can continue the trend by making the next gym leader have a type advantage over the previous one to give us a little trend going.

EG: A hypothetical scenario would be like this:

Gym 1: Normal
Gym 2: Fighting
Gym 3: Psychic
Gym 4: Dark
Gym 5: Fairy
Gym 6: Steel
Gym 7: Fire
Gym 8: Water

That is all.
I really like this; it adds this sense of "I'm better than the last guy" in a very visual manner. Perhaps not the same order/choices, but the concept is sound.

To that end, I'd much prefer Excadrill in the 5th or 6th gym, or at least close to it, just because EVs scale better at level 65-70 than they do at 30-35 due to how the growth algorithm works. It makes the entire strategy more threatening, and befits the learning curve of this game.

Also because Gustav is love, Gustav is life.

I suppose it'd be the same theme if he was swimming in lava by his lonesome, but Fighting is easy to be threatening with early due to the massive distribution of moves like Mach Punch, Superpower and Focus Blast. It prepares you to face raw power, which is represented in a heavier form further down the line via a Steel/Ground Gym. Key word here is *prepare*. Using Ground and/or Sand strategies this early doesn't give us the opportunity to teach as much as we could if it were introduced in a Gym later, where its effect is more pronounced. By this, I mean we have a better opportunity to give the Gym Leader a more synergistic team later down the road (better levels, better moves, etc etc), especially for a type as ubiquitous as Ground.
Fighting-types and Fighting attacks have users that can pull their weight early on (level 30-35) such as Timburr/Conkeldurr, Infernape, Hawlucha - heck, even things like Staraptor.

Last edited:
I just want to note that at some point, we need a BirdSpam flying gym.

If we're doing a Fighting Gym, the gym leader should mention that the burns from the volcano guts boosts his pokemon's attack. Maybe his signature pokemon could be a Flame Orb Conkeldurr.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
My vote is for fighting. There's some pretty good options, such as heracross, meditite/medicham, breloom, lucario, conkeldurr and infernape, and it fits with the gym leader suggestion (which should also make it pretty easy to add some other things to beat their weaknesses (perhaps bisharp as it covers the fairy, psychic and flying weaknesses quite well while also being fighting-y?)

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
NPC Proposal:

Pokemaniac Terry (dressed as a Bisharp)

"Hey, how the hell did you get this far without clicking the Gen VI button? **Gives TM for Knock Off**. Everyone knows it's the best move to click when you don't know what else to do. Just kidding **Gives TM for Scald**. You should always have a random move to spam now! **Knocks off your hat and runs away**"

NPC Proposal:

Pokemaniac Terry (dressed as a Bisharp)

"Hey, how the hell did you get this far without clicking the Gen VI button? **Gives TM for Knock Off**. Everyone knows it's the best move to click when you don't know what else to do. Just kidding **Gives TM for Scald**. You should always have a random move to spam now! **Knocks off your hat and runs away**"
Can we not have these moves introduced yet? They are both hated for very good reasons.

I'll propose fighting gym trainers at one point or another (after all, what's a gym without gym trainers?)

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Just an evil suggestion : since we're going with the leader-swimming-in-lava plan, the terrain will be a bit rocky, solo...tada! You gotta use Rock Smash in the gym to reach the leader. Evil eh?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Can we not have these moves introduced yet? They are both hated for very good reasons.

I'll propose fighting gym trainers at one point or another (after all, what's a gym without gym trainers?)
I can understand scald, but why is knock off hated? Tho I say we get scald from an NPC who congratulates us on winning the badge. Could even be either rival.

I like rock smash. Think of a puzzle for it and well see how it works (as long as its a TM :P) (ie meaning not just punchrocks to get to a leader but creative rock smashing!).

How about a gym where you have to create basic designs out of these rocks? Say you have a square and you have to make an equals sign. You break all the rocks on the sides and then you can progress to the next puzzle.

That's the only idea I have that's even slightly creative with Rock Smash.

How about a gym where you have to create basic designs out of these rocks? Say you have a square and you have to make an equals sign. You break all the rocks on the sides and then you can progress to the next puzzle.

That's the only idea I have that's even slightly creative with Rock Smash.
Idk there is that, and then I thought of you smashing rocks in a long tunnel to only be attacked by people almost flying kicking at you as you attack. Like destroy a rock, then some Guy does running start at you to attack.

Almost like might Gail's Dynamic kick thing. Course I like the making art of rocks tkk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)