Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon Proposal
Starting Town
Golduck (Surf) Levels 20-25
Reasoning: Golduck completely sucks in competitive play, but it performs one of the most useful roles on any in-game team: the HM slave. It learns Surf, Strength, Flash, Rock Smash, Whirlpool, Waterfall, Dive, and Rock Climb, so whatever the HMs are it will probably be able to learn most of them. This makes it easier to get around the caves and waterways of SmogSmog without doing stupid shit like teaching your Charizard Strength.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
We need to be sure not to use up too many water types for the first route/town. There's only 12 water types in C+ or higher that aren't Legendary or Rotom-W, meaning we have to space these 12 around all the water in the region. (Legendary Pokemon are supposed to be unique, I think it'd be weird to have tons of them running around in the wild.)

Azumarill, Gyarados, Greninja, Keldeo*, Manaphy*, Kabutops, Politoed, Quagsire, Slowbro, Kingdra, Suicune*, Crawdaunt, Blastoise, Sharpedo, and Starmie, (and Rotom-W but I doubt that counts for this)
*Legendary

If Magikarp are found nearly everywhere with the Old Rod, then every water area (not considering duplicates) needs to have at least two other water types, one for Good Rod and one for Surf (Super Rod could have evolutions). Having two for both Old and Good Rod in the first area is probably too much. We should reconsider.

I've got a sort of proposal to remedy the leveling problem, and perhaps introduce a bit more uniqueness to the gameplay:

What if wild Pokemon just flat out didn't appear?

The only source of experience in the game would come from trainers, who can't be repeated, and thus, it becomes impossible to grind your way past challenges. To actually get Pokemon, you'd buy their eggs (would probably have to have a varied level for hatching, so late-game Pokemon wouldn't just be pointless due to being unable to grind) from the marts from your trainer loot. This also solves the money/item problem; instead of just buying your way past battles or money being useless, you'd have to carefully manage your money to buy the eggs you want. It also makes the matter of managing experience much more important, since it would not exist in great quantities.

Pokemon in higher viability rankings could cost more to buy their eggs, presenting a system much like that one point-based metagame.

Alternatively, we could go with a system much like "Shadow Pokemon" from Colosseum/XD to obtain the Pokemon, but that wouldn't do much for the money problem. Would make it a bit more fitting with canon, though, and would provide a good way to introduce event moves.

Edit: Also, what if there was a flute or other key item that could be used in battle to prevent a Pokemon from getting EVs during the current battle? Could be useful for when you've got a bunch of stuff like Geodudes you really need to use your special sweeper Grass/Water to beat, but don't really want defense EVs. Your penalty for being able to use the sweeper would be skipping a turn to use the item, which could be crucial.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've got a sort of proposal to remedy the leveling problem, and perhaps introduce a bit more uniqueness to the gameplay:

What if wild Pokemon just flat out didn't appear?

The only source of experience in the game would come from trainers, who can't be repeated, and thus, it becomes impossible to grind your way past challenges. To actually get Pokemon, you'd buy their eggs (would probably have to have a varied level for hatching, so late-game Pokemon wouldn't just be pointless due to being unable to grind) from the marts from your trainer loot. This also solves the money/item problem; instead of just buying your way past battles or money being useless, you'd have to carefully manage your money to buy the eggs you want. It also makes the matter of managing experience much more important, since it would not exist in great quantities.

Pokemon in higher viability rankings could cost more to buy their eggs, presenting a system much like that one point-based metagame.

Alternatively, we could go with a system much like "Shadow Pokemon" from Colosseum/XD to obtain the Pokemon, but that wouldn't do much for the money problem. Would make it a bit more fitting with canon, though, and would provide a good way to introduce event moves.
To fit with canon (selling Pokemon is frowned upon), what if in the SmogSmog region, Pokemon are endangered species? (This could be due to a natural disaster/pollution. Like too much smog. :P) The Egg shop could be a Pokemon nursery which breeds Pokemon in order to help preserve them, and they give out Pokemon to trainers to ensure evolutions exist as well. The first Egg a trainer gets is free (the starter 'mon), all the rest cost money to help fund the expense of running the nursery. Breeding could be done here as well. I imagine Pokemon Centers would have an Egg nursery section, since it makes sense thematically and allows each town to have a different selection of Eggs.

I'm not sure if I actually want this idea to be included, but it is certainly interesting.

Pokemon Proposal
Starter Town
Good Rod Proposal
Marill(20-35, uncommon)
Reasoning: Azumarill is a commonly used Pokemon in competitive battling, and it would be good to give Azumarill users a way to catch it.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
*We're not making too many changes to movepools/egg moves/natural movepools (only taking out the evasion/OHKO/swagger/etc.), since I don't want to accidentally make some illegal combination legal, but let's say we have a move tutor near the end of the game who can teach any move if compatible with the rest of the Pokemon's info (has no non-compatible moves/abilities).

*I can't support talk of a rom or hack here as policy, but if anyone (who HAS the skills to make it) wants to talk about it, we can start a private chat room-- send me a conversation if you're interested, and if we get lots of people interested, we'll just keep adding them to the coversation; and then you guys (the people who have the skill and willingness to hack/make it) can go about it. All the info here is free for use, so if multiple groups can take a shot of it independently of each other.

*keeping wild Pokemon-- imo, it's not a big deal if the gym leaders can be beat by grinding (as long as it requires EXCESSIVE GRINDING without good Pokemon). Grinding won't help you at the end of the game anyway-- because the last Gym leader, E4/Champ will all have level 100 Pokemon. Everyone in Victory Road should have teams of 6 level 100 mons too (though weaker AI, not as great teams).

^If anything we'd want to make sure there enough wild/trainer Blissey and Audino to make sure players can get their whole teams to level 100 by the 8th gym without too much hastle.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
*We're not making too many changes to movepools/egg moves/natural movepools (only taking out the evasion/OHKO/swagger/etc.), since I don't want to accidentally make some illegal combination legal, but let's say we have a move tutor near the end of the game who can teach any move if compatible with the rest of the Pokemon's info (has no non-compatible moves/abilities).

*I can't support talk of a rom or hack here as policy, but if anyone (who HAS the skills to make it) wants to talk about it, we can start a private chat room-- send me a conversation if you're interested, and if we get lots of people interested, we'll just keep adding them to the coversation; and then you guys (the people who have the skill and willingness to hack/make it) can go about it. All the info here is free for use, so if multiple groups can take a shot of it independently of each other.

*keeping wild Pokemon-- imo, it's not a big deal if the gym leaders can be beat by grinding (as long as it requires EXCESSIVE GRINDING without good Pokemon). Grinding won't help you at the end of the game anyway-- because the last Gym leader, E4/Champ will all have level 100 Pokemon. Everyone in Victory Road should have teams of 6 level 100 mons too (though weaker AI, not as great teams).

^If anything we'd want to make sure there enough wild/trainer Blissey and Audino to make sure players can get their whole teams to level 100 by the 8th gym without too much hastle.
So what level are we making the first gym leader? I'm thinking level 15 for their lowest

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm thinking we decide that as we go along-- players who propose the design of the gym leaders and his Pokemon can suggest levels for each (they can be different as in the real games), and if the community likes the suggestions, we'll go with it. I'm guiding a lot of the basic framework stuff, but when it comes to the details, I want it to be very much "everyone else does the work." lol

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Let's keep it simple and have the Gym Leaders have Levels 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90 and then the E4 has all Level 100 Pokemon.
Makes enough sense to me. I can't imagine the first couple of leaders would be exceptionally EV trained, though, especially if our own EV swapper doesn't come until much later. I guess that adds to the initial difficulty, though, huh?

Are HMs still in? There are other ways to railroad a player and make the game linear, but HMs stand out in-game in that they almost force you to cripple your pokemon by sacrificing a moveslot (besides surf). I could see the evil base of team lucksack comically hidden behind one water tile, one broccoli tree, one boulder, one smashable rock, etc, to force another mode of artificial difficulty onto the player.

Hah, this could be funny.

in either the starter town or the trainer school town have a jail set aside that houses notable spammers and or abusers of play styles in it to demonstrate what isn't acceptable here at smogon in a more lucrative light.

So heres a proposal for team Lucksack

there will be different grunts, that utilize different banned strats and mons

Grunt(Male)Uses something like Double team on 1~ mons
Grunt(Female) uses swagger on 1~ mons

Admin(Male) uses Mega Khan
Admin(Female) Uses mega gengar

Now the boss is where it gets interesting

First time you face him/her, he uses a full swagger team

Next, he/she uses sub evasion pass blaziken

Then, he/she uses full BP

Finally, he/she uses mega gengar, ekiller arceus, geoxern and subevasion pass blaziken to swagplay klefki/skymin

thought?

So heres a proposal for team Lucksack

there will be different grunts, that utilize different banned strats and mons

Grunt(Male)Uses something like Double team on 1~ mons
Grunt(Female) uses swagger on 1~ mons

Admin(Male) uses Mega Khan
Admin(Female) Uses mega gengar

Now the boss is where it gets interesting

First time you face him/her, he uses a full swagger team

Next, he/she uses sub evasion pass blaziken

Then, he/she uses full BP

Finally, he/she uses mega gengar, ekiller arceus, geoxern and subevasion pass blaziken to swagplay klefki/skymin

thought?
The two more admins but one uses Special Mega Lucario and the other Physical Mega Lucario :D

The two more admins but one uses Special Mega Lucario and the other Physical Mega Lucario :D
And to reflect the difficulty with Mega Lucario, they don't tell you which is which, and the admins swap at every team "lair/encounter" (like between the Game Corner Hideout and Silph Co. in Kanto)?

Since someone already suggested Corphish (I swear I wanted that)
Pokemon Proposal
Horsea
Means of Capture: Good Rod
Lvl: 15-20
Since this is the beginning section, I really think it be wise to put some so-so pokes in here that could be useful depending how the player wants to go. Kingdra is a great example as the Pokemon fits one playstyle extremely well, but not well in most others (*cough* Critdra *cough*) and is a moderate Pokemon one can find a Bu little ways before mid game which has the option of being replaced for a better WA hter type along the way.

Last edited:
I love this idea. Can I be Bug Catcher? I can make a legit (for what it is) bug mono.

Denisss almost certainly needs to be an admin, with the original BP team. Also, Showderp.

Lower level Grunts should almost certainly include:

1. At least one full eeveelutions team, preferably with terrible sets like Dig Sylveon and Pin Missile Jolteon.

2. At least one team with only items that begin with the letter A. These include Aguav Berry, Absorb Bulb, Air Balloon (preferably on a Grass type), Aggronite (preferably not on Aggron).

3. At least one off-stat team. Choice Band Volcarona, y/y? (at least gets stab Uturn)

Higher Grunts should include Verlisfy and other similar Youtube personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)