SPOILERS! Pokemon Sun and Moon Full Game Datamine General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Confusion nerf came from some guy who played the demo and had a sample size of like 10 turns to base his findings off of.

I'm pretty sure it's bogus.

Was going to write up impressions, but as I look at the new roster I'm struck by the thought:

Why are we so intent and obsessed with our notion of 1v1, OU Pokemon as the competitive standard? It's obvious GF doesn't see it that way, as the new generation is -heavily- biased towards 2v2 and even 3v3, and it is in these formats, now, that the greatest competitive variability seems to arise. GF doesn't care about 1v1, and isn't designing the game with it in mind. Why are we?
You're right that GF doesn't seem to focus on Singles at all. Which only makes it stranger than the ingame story is almost exclusively singles...

Why should we focus on singles though? Because it's still a valid and fun way to play the game, as well as being the original format. Why shouldn't we care about Singles?

What I want to know is has there been any buffs to Hail itself this gen? I see Ice types getting some love with no weateher starters and a brand new ability to play with, but unless it gets a passive effect like all the other cool abilities, it will still remain inferior.

Hey guys, made a spreadsheet Pokedex for Gen 7.

It's not perfect (haven't had anyone to verify yet), but most of the info should be reliable.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tk0FCRAx51xVkuOlcWaJk1zPvE/edit#gid=525677387

(I recommend you just make a duplicate of this to your own drive, though I will be updating this if any glitches come up. If multiple people are on it, you might get in each other's way.)

Anyone have a list of moves with BP, Type, Category and Accuracy? That'll be really useful info for the moves section.

It's not perfect (haven't had anyone to verify yet), but most of the info should be reliable.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tk0FCRAx51xVkuOlcWaJk1zPvE/edit#gid=525677387

(I recommend you just make a duplicate of this to your own drive, though I will be updating this if any glitches come up. If multiple people are on it, you might get in each other's way.)

Anyone have a list of moves with BP, Type, Category and Accuracy? That'll be really useful info for the moves section.
Hey nice job! Do you think you could add a page with all the available pokémon too? It would be really useful for team-planning.

Hold on a second!

I was just browsing all of the box sprites that were dumped when I noticed something. On top of AZ's Floette and Cosplay Pikachu still having box sprites, I discovered this:

But I don't believe Spiky-Eared Pichu ever had a box sprite before.

Is it coming back, or am I just nuts?
It did, but not gen 6 style or even in gen 5/6 at all. It might come back...

You're right that GF doesn't seem to focus on Singles at all. Which only makes it stranger than the ingame story is almost exclusively singles...

Why should we focus on singles though? Because it's still a valid and fun way to play the game, as well as being the original format. Why shouldn't we care about Singles?
The question I posed was why we regarded 1v1 as the competitive standard rather than why play it at all. The 1v1 OU is not balanced, and in order to 'balance' it we have gone from needing to ban Pokemon (fine, as this is a precedent set by Gamefreak), to banning specific moves, to banning abilities, items, combinations of these, and putting limits on how many Pokemon within a team can utilise particular combinations of moves. We have long since past the point where we can say that we're playing Gamefreak's game competitively, and every gen edges us closer to the seemingly inevitable end point where we simply cannot preserve our idea of a diverse 'non centralised' competitive metagame any longer.

All this is simply because of the obvious: GF is not building the game for competitive 1v1 play. It's building the game for competitive 2v2 play. Why aren't we focusing our efforts, as the 'Pokemon University' on that, rather than on an increasingly niche mode of play only being preserved by our constant pruning of it?

Smogons policy in the old days was to emulate the karts and it's gameplay. Almost every battle in the karts is 1v1, and it's how a majority of people play. It also allows you to build a full team of six, as opposed to VGC style choose four of six.

Smogons does support VGC and doubles, but the fact that we don't focus on it more is because a most people find singles more fun because that's how we play the game.

I think the reason we hold it as the standard is because it is the oldest format and truest to the games. If they changed every battle in story mode to be doubles and singles was the minority, I'm sure we'd have a different opinion.

Last edited:

It's not strange. Singles is easier to play in-game, as we are meeting the Pokémon for the first time, and it also helps new players to get the type chart.

Otoh, I've always seen doubles as a better kind from the strategic perspective, but the reason official tournaments are doubles 4x4 is because it's way faster than singles.

That said, to each, its own. There are subforums for every different kind of battle, so focus on whatever fits your boat.

I honestly can't emphasize enough how much I love the new Pokedex entries. I honestly think that the Sun/Moon ones blew it out of the park; at least one of the versions adds something new for every Pokemon. They also expand on how Pokemon interact with one another as well as with humans, which is something I feel like was sorely lacking up until these games. I've only gone through the a small fraction of them or so at this point, but there are so many things that help flesh out the universe here and there. Here's just a few highlights:

- Spearow, usually maligned in dex entries, help farmers with pest control; conversely, Diglett, who have up until now only been painted to be an aid to farmers by tilling the soil, can also be pests when they enter unwanted fields to eat crops

- Fearow appear in ancient murals for unknown reasons; on the topic of ancient humans, coastal tribes used Shellder shells to fashion shields and discarded Cloyster spikes for spearheads

- A popular belief is that sighting two Clefable skipping together will lead to a happy marriage; like the Fearow one, it doesn't seem to mean much, but it's a fun tidbit that shows a bit of the culture of the Pokemon world

- The relation between the Machop line and humans, while it has been mentioned before, is really emphasized in these dex entries; other connections with humans appear, llke how Poliwrath populations each have their own swimming styles (ie: breaststroke) and will gladly teach them to humans; Golem shells being used as fertilizer was a logical extension of how they shed periodically, a fact that we already knew; similarly, the Slowpoke entries build upon what we know about their tails and show how Alolans use them in cooking; Grimer and Muk as well as Garbodor numbers are declining because of improved environmental efforts and may even go extinct.

- A lot of stuff about Pokemon relationships in the wild. Shiinotic and Parasect compete for land. Mandibuzz prey on lonely Cubone for an easy meal as well as bones, but Marowak despise them because of this and try to take them down. Crabrawler hunt Exeggcute (and Exeggcute have DNA similar to actual plants and other Grass-types, implying that 1) most Grass-types don't usually have plantlike DNA, otherwise this fact wouldn't be notable and 2) Exeggute are perhaps evolutionary ancestors of other Grass-types). Goldeen mate in the spring, but Seaking mate in the fall. Lumineon nibble on Staryu and Starmie in the ocean depths, but the latter don't mind because they regenerate so quickly; Finneon are easy prey for Pelipper, as are Luvdisc. Mareanie and Toxapex decimate Corsola reefs.

And this all came from the first 120 or so Pokemon plus a handful of others out of what is now over 800; there is simply so much new information. As a final tidbit, I'll leave you guys with this:

It’s thought that people disturbed their habitats in the past, so Braviary banded together to fight back.
Perhaps we've been associating Braviary with the wrong side of American history.

Last edited:
Hold on a second!

I was just browsing all of the box sprites that were dumped when I noticed something. On top of AZ's Floette and Cosplay Pikachu still having box sprites, I discovered this:

But I don't believe Spiky-Eared Pichu ever had a box sprite before.

Is it coming back, or am I just nuts?
*Gasp* My baby has returned...

If they do plan on bringing it back, it's odd, because like R_N said, we have no Dex images for it. That said, it was introduced in a Gen 4 game, and if we get remakes, they could add the model(s) then, leaving it exclusive to those games ala Cosplay Pikachu and the original Spiky Eared bundle of preciousness.

Last edited:
I've seen that Ultra Beasts have become catchable. Do you get to catch them at a reasonable enough point in the game that it is warranted for you to put them in your in-game team? No details on the area they're in or their story purpose, just if I can get them before postgame and before the endgame.

(Also, I wanna know if Quick Balling them is viable/possible)

I've seen that Ultra Beasts have become catchable. Do you get to catch them at a reasonable enough point in the game that it is warranted for you to put them in your in-game team? No details on the area they're in or their story purpose, just if I can get them before postgame and before the endgame.

(Also, I wanna know if Quick Balling them is viable/possible)
it appears catching every single one of them is post-game. They also need a special type of Poké Balls, the Beast Ball, to be caught.

Guys, so I just read the "Moon Version Wild Encounters" at pastebin...
Would someone explain to me how to read it?
What are "table" and "slot"?

Thanks in advance...

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

It says I need permission to view it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)