SPOILERS! Pokemon Sun and Moon Full Game Story Spoiler Discussion (Read the OP)

Is there a way to prevent a Pokémon from calling for help? I tried putting them to sleep and they still call others.
I haven't seen any pokemon i'va paralyzed call for help.

I'm not sure if its just luck, if paralysis just severely cuts the chance of it, or if it actually stops it.

Having just beat the champion, I just want to go back to the champion theme we were talking about a while ago: I think it's great
It was triumphant and bombastic and i think some of the instruments were distinct enough to let it be alola just as much as celebrating the series

it also just felt perfect for the champion in general
even if he wasnt really the champion but whatever

unrelated to that but I just wanted to say I love how involved & full of character the cast was. I liked gen 6 but XY in particular barely even tried; gen 7 felt like a continuation of gen 5 in that sense and I appreciated it. It made hte pre-credits sequence really enoyable.

Yeah, the story was improved quite a bit (especially from XY, which was just brutal). Obviously it's a low bar that's being cleared, but these games have actual characters and manage to make the storyline fairly smooth and credible even though they made the unnecessary choice to have the fate of the world hang in the balance again, or whatever. Skull is by far the best team since Rocket (the only other decent one being Plasma), and they, again, managed not to ruin that even while ultimately roping them into the UB stuff (partly because the Aether Foundation was also unexpectedly well executed).

I just hope they don't regress into XY-level trash with whatever they put out next, but I expect them to slide in that direction.

ORAS' slight story changes (well...enhancements?) feel very in line with this and Ohmori handled that one too. I can see them following with this in the future.

Also despite the world-risk it felt oddly...downplayed? Like the focus felt very much on Lusamine, Cosmog & Lillie even during the climax and the rest of the islands are shown to be able to stand up to them. The reason we sprung into action wasn't because we knew what would happen, its that Lillie & Cosmog were kidnapped, that Gladion knew something was up, then you discover the real point of the UB plotline and thats just to reinforce how absolutely bonkers lusamine got. And then after that is the second climax, which was entirely about helping Lillie & Nebby and forcibly confronting Lusamine (& Guzma) who were more a risk to themselves than the world at that point.

I think that's what made it work pretty well, though I'll be honest and say I don't necessarily mind world-ending plots in the vein of DP or ORAS. Even XY's, which was hilariously absurd it just didn't have the cast or pacing to support it (& crucially, did not go all in on the ridiculousness. Own it!)

Does anybody know if you see lillie again after she leaves for kanto? She was by far my favorite character in the game and I would be really sad if that is all you see of her

Is that final image in the credits of Lillie and Lunala/Solgaleo on the web anywhere, because the feels, man.

Also, wasn't expecting to get $1 million for doing the governments work, I thought they'd screw me over more.

Question: If the Alola guardian deities and Ultra Beasts are not considered true Legendaries, does that strip the "weaker" Legendaries, such as the legendary ducks and gerbils, from the first five generations of that status as well? They're all allowed in Battle Spot and VGC, even if Smogon bans some of them because the official metagame is unbalanced. As such, shouldn't they be referred to as Rare Pokémon, rather than Legendary?

Well, I think the UBs are part of their own category. The tapus, on the other hand, they kind of fit with the other "minor" legendaries, but maybe we should wait for some kind of confirmation from GF.

the tapus are probably still considered legendaries, they're just emphasizing their guardian deity status.

It's the same deal as mythical pokemon. They're still legendaries, they just have their own category.

I just finished up the quest line so I thought i'd answer this
Did anything ever come of that rumour that the pre-XY timeline got eaten by the Ultra Beasts?
Unless there's some other dialog I've missed, I think people were looking too far into comments Looker gives about Anabel & about guzzlord.

All we can gleam is that Anabel was defending the battle tower when the (or an) ultra beasts attacked and at some point she fell through the worm hole and wound up at poni island with most of her memories lost. But there's no proof that Ultra Beasts destroyed the timeline at all. And judging by this game, the research Interpol & Aether have done, and Looker's past experiences most of the time ultra beasts cross over its in a limited capacity that can be handled by a small team. Lusamine's actions just caused a lot of them to crop out at once, thus the urgency in making sure they're tamed (& even then, they weren't actively attacking things for a while, since the reports are only brief sightings).
It's also worth noting that singular ultra beasts have crossed over before the events of Sun & Moon, so that's probably what happened with the batle frontier

Guzzlord meanwhile just east stuff. Like a lot of stuff, because he is a big boy with a big mouth. But lots of pokemon are said to eat stuff. Guzzlord is just dangerous for the reasons all the others are: its strong, its agitated and it wants to go home. It probably did not devour the entire non-mega world and it was probably not accompanied by a legion of guzzlords & other ultra beasts.

Well, after a week of avoiding Smogon (And coming back to 24 notifications, haha.) I can finally come here and discuss the story.

I honestly loved it so much, compared to other games this was like Shakespeare. Having actual character development was a huge plus, and I found the story intriguing, at least for a Pokemon game. I'd go into it more, but I really don't have a lot to say besides I loved it. Some favorite moments of mine;
  • Meeting Ilima's family and battling him for a second time. He's my favorite captain by far.
  • Seeing Kukui "in disguise" at the Battle Royale. I yelled to my brother "I KNOW THAT CHEST ANYWHERE!" and then started laughing for a few minutes before finally battling. I ended up losing though, my Mudbray wasn't up to the task.
  • Gladion's reaction to Hau telling Lillie she looked fantastic. My edgy friend's glare is the best glare.
  • Gladion smiling for the first time.
  • Reading about Type:Null's backstory. It gave me chills.
  • The Team Skull occupied Pokemon Center, the song they made up I found nice. Definitely worth the $10.
  • Hau crying at the end of the game was really touching. He isn't my favorite rival, but he developed nicely. Felt bad for him there.

Well, I need to praise everything involving Hapu and Acerola, the little touch of Mimikyu being behind the fence in between the trees, Ash picture in the room, and heck the whole room being non existant was a cool touch.

Fuck it, everything about that trial was glorious, I actually felt like I was playing snap, that's an achievement.

Kiawe trial deserves praise, they pulled the comedic timing like a boss.

Well, I need to praise everything involving Hapu and Acerola, the little touch of Mimikyu being behind the fence in between the trees, Ash picture in the room, and heck the whole room being non existant was a cool touch.

Fuck it, everything about that trial was glorious, I actually felt like I was playing snap, that's an achievement.

Kiawe trial deserves praise, they pulled the comedic timing like a boss.
oh man, do you have a picture of the mimikyu? I didnt notice that before

oh man, do you have a picture of the mimikyu? I didnt notice that before
It's a blink and you miss it moment, it happens when you press a at Acerola dialogue of getting chills right after saying there was no room in the mart.

So, I've been thinking...any chance the UB's are based on the Seven Deadly Sins? I mean, Pheromosa could be lust, Buzzwole could be pride (given its tendency to pose constantly), Guzzlord could be gluttony (duh), and Kartana could be wrath (given it's described as being dangerous and deadly). The only hole I'm seeing is that greed and envy are a bit up in the air, and none of them seems to represent sloth.

So, I've been thinking...any chance the UB's are based on the Seven Deadly Sins? I mean, Pheromosa could be lust, Buzzwole could be pride (given its tendency to pose constantly), Guzzlord could be gluttony (duh), and Kartana could be wrath (given it's described as being dangerous and deadly). The only hole I'm seeing is that greed and envy are a bit up in the air, and none of them seems to represent sloth.
Seen that theory up there, it doesn't hold up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)