Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Hi !

Is Komala still sleeping if you use Gastro Acid on it ?
If yes, how many turns ?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Does Berserk trigger when the Pokemon falls to less than half HP via a status move such as Pain Split?
Every time a Pokemon with Berserk goes from above 50% to below 50% by taking damage from the enemy Pokemon, Berserk triggers. This is the ONLY check for Berserk. If you heal up above 50%, you can trigger it again.

If you drop below 50% by any way that isn't direct damage from your opponent (Sticky Barb, status damage, recoil, Pain Split, etc) you can't trigger Berserk unless you go above 50% and then are hit by direct damage below 50% again.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
As long as we're talking about the OP's content, let's do some cleanup on some stuff that was either missed in editing or missed altogether. Some of this is a little nitpicky, but ultimately it's to help the PS coders.

Comatose: Are Sleep Talk and Snore usable at all times? Does Wake-Up Slap do double damage?
How do the stat drops from burn and paralysis interact with Beast Boost?
These are known and already listed in OP. (Forgot to remove)

Shields Down: Does the Pokemon revert to shield forme if its HP is brought to above 50% its max HP by Leftovers?
It does. I probably should've made that clearer in my initial post about it.

Has the damage modifier on -ate abilities (Pixilate, Refrigerate, etc) been changed from 1.3x? (Tentatively, -ate abilities along with Galvanize and Normalize have a 1.2x boost)
We've had another source note that the damage output of -ate abilities has been lowered. I haven't seen anyone disprove my calcs yet either. We can probably move this to confirmed info, but I'd be fine if we left it as tentative as it might encourage double and triple checking.

How does Beast Boost decide the stat to boost when the Pokemon has multiple stats with the same raw value?
Mentioned this way earlier somewhere. It only boosts 1 stat, chooses which tied stat in order of Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe where Atk would be the highest priority pick and Spe would be the lowest.

Terrain-setting Abilities: Will they still trigger if the Pokemon faints from Stealth Rock/Spikes damage upon entry?
I know someone posted in this thread somewhere that they don't. I'd believe them since it'd work like Weather abilities.

Steelworker (Currently tested to give 1.5x boost needs more testing) further boosts the damage from moves used by Pokemon that are already Steel-type.
Another tester + my retesting pretty much brings this to a confirmed 1.5x

If Zygarde uses Power Construct it will override any type change by Camouflage and revert it to Dragon/Ground typing.
To clarify, this is true for any type changing move (ex Conversions, Soak, Trick or Treat).

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
We've had another source note that the damage output of -ate abilities has been lowered. I haven't seen anyone disprove my calcs yet either. We can probably move this to confirmed info, but I'd be fine if we left it as tentative as it might encourage double and triple checking.
Took care of the rest (minus the terrain one want to find the post), this I'm keeping as is till someone else comes forth with their numbers.

So there are two new moves that work very similar to Focus Punch: Beak Blast and Shell Trap. -3 priority, but they "charge" first in the turn, then the opponent attacks, and then the move is unleashed. Focus Punch's conditional is that it can't be hit. These two moves are different. Beak Blast burns the opponent upon physical contact for that turn, and then executes the move regardless. Shell Trap plants the trap, then unleashes a 150 BP Special Fire move upon physical contact, with it failing otherwise. I'm wondering if one or both of these moves execute upon the user getting KOed. For Beak Blast, if it faints from a contact move, does it still burn the attacker? For Shell Trap, does it still unleash a 150 BP attack upon a contact move despite a KO? These are different than Focus Punch in that regard, so that's why I ask. Really would be a cool bonus for both of them.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
So there are two new moves that work very similar to Focus Punch: Beak Blast and Shell Trap. -3 priority, but they "charge" first in the turn, then the opponent attacks, and then the move is unleashed. Focus Punch's conditional is that it can't be hit. These two moves are different. Beak Blast burns the opponent upon physical contact for that turn, and then executes the move regardless. Shell Trap plants the trap, then unleashes a 150 BP Special Fire move upon physical contact, with it failing otherwise. I'm wondering if one or both of these moves execute upon the user getting KOed. For Beak Blast, if it faints from a contact move, does it still burn the attacker? For Shell Trap, does it still unleash a 150 BP attack upon a contact move despite a KO? These are different than Focus Punch in that regard, so that's why I ask. Really would be a cool bonus for both of them.
Beak Blast burns on contact even if the user is KO'd. Shell Trap does not trigger if the user is KO'd.

I haven't seen much discussion on Stomping Tantrum. What counts a a move failing? For some specific things to test out I can think of: missing a move, flinching either from an opponents attack, or being hit out of Focus Punch, the user's move failing because of Protect/Detect, Protect/Detect failing from being used in succession, substitute/belly drum when health is bellow half (or other status moves failing because requirements weren't fulfilled), user hitting itself in confusion, and being prevented from using attack having been taunted/imprisoned that turn.

I haven't seen much discussion on Stomping Tantrum. What counts a a move failing? For some specific things to test out I can think of: missing a move, flinching either from an opponents attack, or being hit out of Focus Punch, the user's move failing because of Protect/Detect, Protect/Detect failing from being used in succession, substitute/belly drum when health is bellow half (or other status moves failing because requirements weren't fulfilled), user hitting itself in confusion, and being prevented from using attack having been taunted/imprisoned that turn.
Trying to Toxic or WoW their respective types could be another one

• Strength Sap: Does it heal an amount equal to exactly the target's Attack stat or is it percentage based? Does it ignore any stat changes to the target's Attack stat?
It heals an amount equal to the target's atk stat and isn't percentage based. Takes stat changes into account. Also lower's target's atk by 1 stage, so gradually get's weakened. Can't lower stats of Pokemon with Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, etc and in those cases HP recovery amount stays the same even after repeated use. Doesn't trigger Defiant if targetting ally.

Not really a battle mechanic, but Pokémon hatched from Eggs now have an apparent 50-50 chance to be in either parent's Poké Ball if the parents are a same-species couple.
If this is true, it means we can now breed Pokémon with hidden abilities in Safari and Sport Balls (and non-Alolan Pokémon in Apricorn Balls), as well as Alolan forms in Safari and Dream Balls, right? And according to KazoWAR a non-Alolan parent holding an Everstone will always produce non-Alolan offspring regardless of the Everstone holder's gender, so we should be able to breed the original forms in Beast Balls too.

Would someone care to test this, just to be sure? Try breeding a male Pokémon in a Safari Ball with a HA female of the same species in a different ball, and a male non-Alolan form holding an Everstone with a female Alolan form in a Beast Ball.

Would someone care to test this, just to be sure? Try breeding a male Pokémon in a Safari Ball with a HA female of the same species in a different ball, and a male non-Alolan form holding an Everstone with a female Alolan form in a Beast Ball.
Impossible until the Bank update in January.
Or hacking, I guess...

• Does Encore fail when used on a Pokemon that previously used a Z-move?
  • And to add to this, can you use Z move WHILE under the effect of Encore? As in you are locked in Fire Spin, can you use Inferno Overdrive based on fire spin next turn?

Do we know if Z-Moves are affected by weather?
For example; does Hydro Vortex get boosted in the rain?
Sorry if this was answered before, I just couldn't find it.

Oh, and another thing that needs testing: check if Nidoran and Volbeat/Illumise can be bred with their hidden abilities in the HGSS-exclusive balls. I'm guessing the answer is no since they're separate species, but they can produce each other's eggs so maybe the males can pass down their balls when bred with a HA female.

This will probably SEEM like a vague question, but it's more of a question about a broad mechanic that i can't think of another way to word.

Firstly, do we have a topic for discussing the new "Pokemon performs better if it likes you" mechanic where it would be better for me to discuss this, or is this the place?

Second, how exactly does said mechanic work? I've seen it make me dodge a 100% move, and make me live a hit that DEFINITELY should have killed me. What triggers it? What in all can it do?

Third, is there any way to disable the mechanic, and does it affect online battles? I'm assuming no on the latter.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does Encore fail when used on a Pokemon that previously used a Z-move?
Yes

Aurora Veil: Can it be removed with Brick Break/Psychic Jaws?
Aurora Veil is removed by Brick Break (didn't test Psychic Jaws)

Does Disguise prevent secondary effects from moves whose damage it blocks?
Mimikyu was Paralyzed by Zap Cannon through its disguise (the disguise did break, but the Mimikyu was inflicted with paralysis prior to this happening)

Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam: Assumed they simply have built-in Mold Breaker, but can they actually ignore Abilities belonging to Pokemon other than the target? For example, can they be redirected by Lightning Rod, assuming you've Mold Breaker Electrified Sunsteel Strike?
An Electrified Moongeist Beam hit the selected target, completely ignoring the fact that its partner had Lightning Rod.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)