Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personnally, I kind of like charge beam. It has won me several games, especially when combined with encore and/or roost. But, in terms of utility, it's true something like knock off or nuzzle would be useful. But I like the pikachu clones providing different options, and we already have 3 nuzzlers in pachirisu, togedemaru and dedenne. No knock off or defog amongst them yet, though. Dunno.
I'm not really concerned with preserving Emolga's uniqueness as randbats' only Charge Beam user, what with its low base power, 90% accuracy and raising spa being as likely as focus blast hitting. As for Nuzzle, i believe it is good enough that it should be run wherever it makes sense and Emolga's flying type differentiates it enough from its fellow pikaclones.

I'm not really concerned with preserving Emolga's uniqueness as randbats' only Charge Beam user, what with its low base power, 90% accuracy and raising spa being as likely as focus blast hitting. As for Nuzzle, i believe it is good enough that it should be run wherever it makes sense and Emolga's flying type differentiates it enough from its fellow pikaclones.
That's kinda why I'm unsure. Like I said, I've won many fights due to charge beam, but on the other hand, nuzzle has also won me several fights.

On another note - I had a sheer force return/beak blast/roost/swords dance Toucannon with life orb. I just feel like it's completely pointless to allow sheer force on this when keen eye, despite being completely useless 99.99% of the time (defog on a contrary switch in basically), is still more useful than sheer force, which affects none of its moves.

Maybe if Gunk Shot was added to its moveset, it would make sense, but I don't think adding Gunk Shot does much anyways.

The only metagame that I play on showdown is random battle,and I notice something cery frustrating,there are less spinners and defogers than before! I remember that before you had most of the time a hazard remover on your team but now I am facion teams with stealth rock and spikes that I can not remove.

It may be my trashy luck that reduce the amount of defogers/spinners for 2 months or it may had been reduced to,idk get more similar to lets go with no hazard removers?
Explain it to me pls

A Kingdra not knowing what to do in its life.

In general I find out that Pokémon with mixed attacking stats (Kingdra, Virizion, Infernape, Kyurem, Lucario...) often end up with nonsensical mixed movesets, with dual/triple STAB, wanky setup moves (Like Infernape with SD and CC but then it has Fire Blast and Vacuum Wave or something).

Edit: HE LIVES!

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
Maybe it would be a good idea to make it so that a Pokemon rejects a move if:

-the Pokemon has two types
-the Pokemon has an offensive setup move (not sure how to factor sub or weathers (ex. wow / sunny day / fire blast / solarbeam pyroar is much better than hyper voice in slot 4) into this)
-the Pokemon has another status move that is not a recovery move (a cheesy solution to avoid pulling dd/roost mence into this, it also allows np roost togekiss to avoid it as well)
-the Pokemon already has a STAB move with BP over (arbitrarily) 50 and the move is of the same type
-the Pokemon has another STAB move that is boosted by that offensive setup move in its movepool (sleep powder + sd victreebel does not need to have sludge bomb forced onto it) and is a different type from the already present STAB move and the move itself is boosted by the setup move + different type from the already present STAB

I'm sure there are other cases that I'm missing because it's 2 AM lol, also apologies if something like this is already in the move generation I don't want to look through it for the same reason

I haven't gotten double water 2 attack kingdra but 2 attack Terrakion with earthquake over one of its STABs just hurts every time you see it, and it feels like it pops up really often...

Can we get rid of Vital Spirit on Primeape in favor of Defiant? I think the cases in which you'd get a boost from an opposing drop are much more than those in which you'd be using Primeape as a switch-in to something with Spore or Sleep Powder.

Could Rapidash have access to Megahorn and Drill Run, please? Both would be a great coverage move and surprise people.
It gets high horsepower, which is superior to drill run.
Megahorn brings absolutely nothing besides hitting psychic and dark types, which it already hits neutraly. Most of the Pokemon it would hit super effectively with it are going to be 2HKO - which they already are with flare blitz if it has life orb, the only downside being the recoil. In fact, wild charge + flare blitz + high horsepower already gives a near perfect neutral coverage. Adding megahorn would only help for hitting Flygon neutrally or Lati@s, Hydreigon and Guzzlord (bulk taking into account here considering high horsepower hits neutrally) super effectively.

Last edited:
Also, I just had this set with snowy dinosaur.

Aurorus @ Choice Specs. Refrigerate. Ancient Power + Freeze-Dry + Hyper Voice + ... Blizzard. This shouldn't happen.

breh

強いだね
sludge bomb / u-turn / shadow ball / defog (lead) dustox @ focus sash

I still think sash + hazard removal is stupid, I don't think dustox should even get u-turn given how useful it can be when it at least has roost (and moreso when it has roost + QD or defog) and considering that it doesn't really... work

ice beam / sub / cm / moonblast cress @ leftovers

no STAB ree

breh

強いだね
forgot to take down its attacks in order, but got 4 atk swampert mega (iirc eq / ice punch / waterfall / superpower)

Continuing with fire type stuff....
Genesect has a physical fire move, but why flamethrower :(
edit: didn't mean stab, I clearly wasn't in my right mind while writing this post

Last edited:
Not really a set issue, but Illusion works in a very wacky way right now:

As you can see there are duplicate icons for the Pokémon Zoroark disguises as. The opponent sees the same, giving out Zoroark's presence on your team.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Not really a set issue, but Illusion works in a very wacky way right now:

As you can see there are duplicate icons for the Pokémon Zoroark disguises as. The opponent sees the same, giving out Zoroark's presence on your team.
That's just how the client keeps track of everything, as it helps distinguish between the illusions and the real mons if the sim notices any changes between the two instances. Afaik it won't show them both if you've done nothing that would break said illusion, i.e being sent out with a different level, taking residual damage and having their HP stats differ etc. This is just what's possible by hand if you would do this on cart, it's not leaking any information that is hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)