Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Choice Scarf Defog Flygon is an actual set, that's OK. It is similar to scarfed Defog Latios in OU.

However, stuff like Aegislash without King's Shield should not occur in Randbats.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You'll see Scarf Defog in actual competitive play, Latios particularly comes to mind. Especially with how comparatively easy it is to eliminate hazard setters in Randoms, that seems acceptably good.

I seem to get Life Orb sets all the time. At least one, and usually 3 or more pokemon in team have Life Orb - both for me and for enemy team.

Life Orb might be good niche item, but it's definitely not filler item Random Fight makes it to be. And it is one of most unpleasant items I know in this game - Because unless you have recovery (which most pokemons with it don't have), you only have 10-11 attacks - assuming enemy won't hit you at all. Just... please, remove at least half of sets with it. Replace it with some time that's actually of use. I don't know, Expert Belt? Leftovers? Even Everstone is more useful than Life Orb in most cases...

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right now, there's a check to ensure that Pokemon get STAB moves, and that physical set up mons (like DD ray) get at least 2 physical moves, but the need generally hasn't arose to have a check to ensure (2+Physical, 1+STAB) on physical set up mons.
For DD ray in specific, i believe your choices for the other 3 slots are (Outrage, DClaw, EQ, Espeed, Draco: No Dragon Ascent to prevent Mega Ray, no V-Create that removes your Speed boost from DD), making the chance of a DD set without physical STAB 10% by my calculations. While 10% is pretty small, lower would still be ideal, but i don't know if there's a good workaround that doesn't interfere with the set generation mechanics or other Pokemon.

Then again, though, I'm not sure how much better DD/Outrage/Espeed/Draco would be.

I recently encountered a Slurpuff with a strange set. It had Belly Drum, Return, Play Rough, Substitute, held a Sitrus berry, and had Unburden. Everything in the set makes sense except for substitute. Not only does Belly Drum take you down to 50% health (75% if sitrus berry is consumed), it is prone to damage and switch-forcing moves. If a pokemon doesn't attack or force Slurpuff to switch, it's likely to try to set up as well. If the opposing pokemon is a steel type, Slurpuff is in even more jeopardy, as it has no effective moves against it.

Substitute unnecessarily takes up a slot which could be better filled with Drain Punch or even Thief. I believe there is a set identical to this with Drain Punch in substitute's slot, so removing this set entirely is probably best.

While I have your attention, I'd like to propose a new Unown set, so it can be slightly more viable in battles. The current set for Unown just has Specs and HP Psychic. If your opponent has a plethora of dark types, or even one that counters all of your team, Unown is dead weight. If Unown had HP Dark, Fighting, and Fire/Ice/Electric to accompany HP Psychic, it could pull it's (very light) weight more appropriately. This set plus Specs, scarf, or focus sash could prove to be somewhat useful.

tl;dr My proposal is to add new Unown sets with HP Dark, Fighting, Fire/Ice/Electric, and Psychic, and have it hold a Scarf, Specs, or Focus Sash could make Unown slightly less useless.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
While I have your attention, I'd like to propose a new Unown set, so it can be slightly more viable in battles. The current set for Unown just has Specs and HP Psychic. If your opponent has a plethora of dark types, or even one that counters all of your team, Unown is dead weight. If Unown had HP Dark, Fighting, and Fire/Ice/Electric to accompany HP Psychic, it could pull it's (very light) weight more appropriately. This set plus Specs, scarf, or focus sash could prove to be somewhat useful.

tl;dr My proposal is to add new Unown sets with HP Dark, Fighting, Fire/Ice/Electric, and Psychic, and have it hold a Scarf, Specs, or Focus Sash could make Unown slightly less useless.
Not sure if you're suggesting Unown to be able to use more than one Hidden Power at once, which is impossible, but Unown is actually that garbage that STAB Choice Specs HP Psychic is the only redeeming set it has and anything else would just make it even worse than what it currently is.

I wish recovery moves could be more of a priority when selecting moves. They make or break a lot of Pokemon who have them. Lugia isn't nearly as effective without recovery.

I wish recovery moves could be more of a priority when selecting moves. They make or break a lot of Pokemon who have them. Lugia isn't nearly as effective without recovery.
There are lots of Pokemon that completely rely on a certain move to be viable, such as Landorus and earthquake. What I think Random Battle needs is for each Pokemon to have a list of moves that it's certain to know, and the remaining move slots get random moves.

Also, can we please, please make Pokemon stop appearing if they're E rank in PU? Stuff like Farfetch'd and Kricketune don't do anything other than take up Pokemon slots, and battles are often decide on whoever has less of them.

There are lots of Pokemon that completely rely on a certain move to be viable, such as Landorus and earthquake. What I think Random Battle needs is for each Pokemon to have a list of moves that it's certain to know, and the remaining move slots get random moves.

Also, can we please, please make Pokemon stop appearing if they're E rank in PU? Stuff like Farfetch'd and Kricketune don't do anything other than take up Pokemon slots, and battles are often decide on whoever has less of them.
I think Landorus is guaranteed to get EQ because each Pokemon will get one STAB move. However, pokemon like Mantine aren't guaranteed to get Roost. Something like Mew doesn't need Roost all of the time but on other Pokemon I feel like it's pretty important.

I agree that pokemon like Unown are annoying but it doesn't seem like the people in charge are interested in reducing the amount of variance.

I agree that pokemon like Unown are annoying but it doesn't seem like the people in charge are interested in reducing the amount of variance.
All they do is get one-shot by higher tier stuff. The only part that can possibly be "variance" is the type of attack used to one-shot them.

All they do is get one-shot by higher tier stuff. The only part that can possibly be "variance" is the type of attack used to one-shot them.
More chance = more variance. I'm talking about statistical variance. Have you never heard of it before?

Adeleine

I don't foresee random battle excluding any fully evolved Pokemon anytime soon. If we did, using the least consistent dividing line of a subjective VR of a teambuilding format wouldn't do; finding an acceptable dividing line between the terrible and the more terrible mons is one obstacle. I wouldn't forget Kricketune's webs setting either.

re: recovery, as great as recovery can be, you'd have to come up with a rule acceptable to apply to all mons with it (as chaosakita basically hit)

finding an acceptable dividing line between the terrible and the more terrible mons is one obstacle.
If you can track win rates for each Pokemon, then you can set the dividing line to be a certain percentage. Then, the Pokemon with low win rates can have their level raised or be removed.
re: recovery, as great as recovery can be, you'd have to come up with a rule acceptable to apply to all mons with it (as chaosakita basically hit)
Maybe a Pokemon can be guaranteed a certain move if it's used with that move more than 95% of the time in teambuilding formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)