Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Bugger. Well, that's annoying, but it's not the end of the world. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In other discoveries, transferred Pokemon can become square shinies.

My best soft boye just squared at me. <3
Thanks to the way square shinies were kinda hacked on top of the existing shiny functionality, each PID/SID/TID combination of an old gen mon that satisfies the square shiny requirement will be a square shiny. The raw odds for this are 1 in 65,536.
To put it in other terms, 1/16 transferred shinies should be square shinies.

Last edited:
I wonder how that interacts with event exclusive shinies, like Solgaleo and Lunala? I'm gonna test that shortly.

I also wonder if this means older gen RNG apps need an update, since it should in principle be possible to set them up to get square shinies.

I wonder how that interacts with event exclusive shinies, like Solgaleo and Lunala? I'm gonna test that shortly.

I also wonder if this means older gen RNG apps need an update, since it should in principle be possible to set them up to get square shinies.
Hmm, it depends on how the PID is generated. If the game just rolls until it gets a shiny PID with no other constraints the event mon should also be 1/16 to be square shiny. If it's a fixed PID for the event, each mon from the same event will always be the same shiny type.

Last edited:
I checked the recent Eclipse Solgaleo/Lunala and my Play 2016 Mewtwo -- all three are square shinies. I assume, therefore, that the method Nintendo uses to force them to be shiny forces an exact match, and thus that most/all shiny locked events are square shinies.
Come to think of it, that might be the reason we have square shinies in the first place -- a way to make event shinies more than likely a bit more 'unique' than shinies you might have gotten on your own. Or, at least, to make those events seem even more rare.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Actually I just thought of something: Do the transfer-only Pokemon have Pokedex entries? If so, how are they ordered in the Pokedex?

For the sake of curiosity, I just transferred up an in-game set shiny (the BW2 Haxorus) to see if this applies to in-game events as well as official events. He's got stars, so it doesn't seem to.
I suspect this has to do with how Nintendo events handle ID. They have fixed IDs instead of using your trainer ID, so I'd surmise that they set the SID/PID to match it in such a way that it causes square shininess, rather than rolling for it.

Actually I just thought of something: Do the transfer-only Pokemon have Pokedex entries? If so, how are they ordered in the Pokedex?
They do not. Despite having entries coded into the games, they don't appear, even in Home which has a slot for them that's greyed out.

I assume this is because they're waiting for the DLC's sub-regional dexes, but the omission of Mew is still odd.

So, I have the premium plan and a family account on Switch. I can use Home fully, but when I access it with secondary profiles, it tells me I am on the basic plan. I don't have the problem with the DLC slowpoke. Anyone else experiencing the same?
Maybe I haven't tweaked the right settings? Thanks

Last edited:
So, I have the premium plan and a family account on Switch. I can use Home fully, but when I access it with secondary profiles, it tells me I am on the basic plan. I don't have the problem with the DLC slowpoke. Anyone else experiencing the same?
Maybe I haven't tweaked the right settings? Thanks
That's not quite how you use it with the secondary profiles. When you go into Home with the user account you've bought the premium plan on, click on the "Pokémon" option at the top; the normal one that brings up your account and what games you can transfer from. If you click on your account name, it'll give you the option to transfer from another user's save data instead.

That's not quite how you use it with the secondary profiles. When you go into Home with the user account you've bought the premium plan on, click on the "Pokémon" option at the top; the normal one that brings up your account and what games you can transfer from. If you click on your account name, it'll give you the option to transfer from another user's save data instead.
Oh snap! I'm an idiot. Many thanks for the help:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)